Home

Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #81
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: realism

I will sign on to this. Any playbook can be good in Madden/NCAA. Some just require a bit more creativity than others. But I like seeing difference rather than sameness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #82
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

I sign on. I also like the trade playbook idea.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #83
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19

dont care much for the generic playbooks to be used, 32 teams 32 playbooks
Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #84
Banned

OVR: 8

I'm not really on board with the whole "Default PB" idea, I do not know what the PB's in M11 will be like and include. But for example I love Carolina, but M10's Carolina PB lacked Power-O runs out of multiple formations, and didn't have an I-Tight with limited Shoutgun. Just because I'm a Carolina fan does not make me a fan of their entire Offensive Philosophy which is displayed via their in game PB. In a franchise I should be able to build my team around "HOW I WANT TO PLAY". I shouldn't be forced to draft to fit my teams PB tendencies, that to me takes fun out of the game. It seems its becoming more about the PB than the actual Franchise.

I don't switch that often but if I know in Week 1 I'm facing a weak run defense then I may choose a PB to attackt that weakness, then in Week 7 I'm looking at the number one run defense, why would I not switch to a PB to better attack the secondary? I think some of the complaints about team Off and Def PB's is on point and off base at the same time. Many say they scout other peoples playbooks, so why would I put my offense at a disadvantage by not switching my game style up to throw you off my game? That to me is common sense. In leagues you have a great range of ideas, beliefs, and personalities; and all views are not shared. But just because you're facing the same offense means you should know exactly how to defend it, hell I personally believe when people switch up PB's it adds to the fun, it doesn't take it away. Limiting a users ability to be flexible by limiting him to one PB all season is what lacks fun IMO.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #85
MVP

OVR: 21

I don't care if someone uses multiple playbooks. The way I look at it, choosing a playbook is like choosing a game plan. Most of the playbooks overlap anyway so its not like there is gonna be much diversity between teams playbooks anyhow. Also 2 people can use the same playbook but wont run them the same way. A persons play style has a big impact on the playbook being used. I don't care whose playbook I use, I am passing...a lot. Air Coryell all day long till you shut it down.

I personally have only used 1 playbook for the last 6 years. The Saints offense, and the 4-3 defense. So you know I have no bias in favor of someone using multiple playbooks.

Lets also address another issue. Attacking how people play. If a person is running the same play or plays over and over and over again Thats not a problem or "unrealistic" Sometimes its needed to bring someone out of a certain coverage and stop the offense from attacking in a certain way.

Where it becomes a problem is when the plays in question are known to exploit a flaw in the game. In Madden 2010 examples are:

1. Dime formations blowing up Goaline formations.
2. PA passes negating blitzes simply based off the QB's PA Rating.

Then there is the play styles issues:

Mr. Scrambling QB
Mr. Toss left Toss Right
Mr. Press coverage
Mr. Blitz

None of these things are per se "cheese" but when someone cannot counter it, you can see where it can become frustrating for that person.
There are counters to these styles but in Madden it at times comes at the cost of making you resort to calling 1-3 plays every down which can become boring.

If you want to stop someone from playing a certain way, the best way to do that is shut down what they are doing(if its not a exploit) If yall want the league to get better, lets bring the league up to a level and standard that makes it better, not fight with each other. Lets have a thread where we post how to shutdown known exploits or "frustrating styles/plays" That way when people play each other, they can run their offense/defense the way they want and we wont have the bickering we now have. Everyone will know how to counter certain things and you wont have no one to blame but yourself for not adjusting your game plan to stop a person.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #86
Pro

OVR: 9

I agree Tombsong it would be awesome if ea would cave in and give us spectator mode then using multiple playbooks wouldn't be such an issue
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #87
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

So why is it that, when we let the 32 owners in this league decide "HOW THEY WANT TO PLAY," 28 of those 32 owners all end up using the same 2 or 3 playbooks?

My thought is that, if you have to use one of the top "tourney" playbooks to enjoy playing Madden, then this probably isn't the league for you.

When this league first started on the APF 2K8 boards, the emphasis was on it being an NFL league first and a Madden league second.

Since about half-way through season 2, it's been the other way around.

And I think a lot of people are tired of having league games play out more like an episode of Madden Challenge than a NFL telecast.

Keeping team playbooks intact (or at least, making them varied to where no two teams are the same) is just one way of getting the league back to its NFL roots and away from the Maddenisms that have permeated since season 2.

Last edited by jyoung; 07-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #88
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
So why is it that, when we let the 32 owners in this league decide "HOW THEY WANT TO PLAY," 28 of those 32 owners all end up using the same 2 or 3 playbooks?

My thought is that, if you have to use one of the top "tourney" playbooks to enjoy playing Madden, then this probably isn't the league for you.

When this league first started on the APF 2K8 boards, the emphasis was on it being an NFL league first and a Madden league second.

Since about half-way through season 2, it's been the other way around.

And I think a lot of people are tired of having league games play out more like an episode of Madden Challenge than a NFL telecast.

Keeping team playbooks intact (or at least, making them varied to where no two teams are the same) is just one way of getting the league back to its NFL roots and away from the Maddenisms that have permeated since season 2.
I agree with this. I havent found a way to say it though. Eventhough I have only been in since season 3, I literally had been following the leauge the whole time (I was killing time at work). My first season felt like playing football, my last season has felt like playing Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Online > SFL Online Franchise »