Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers the improvements to WR/DB interaction.

Quote:
"As most folks already know, as a design team we've been very active on the forums recently (starting about a month or so before the Madden NFL 09 release). Within minutes of talking with the community it's easy to tell that one of the most common areas requested for improvement is DB/WR play. Obviously, we're listening to you, and here are just some of the other improvements and changes that you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10 come August."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 DJDReW3102 @ 03/03/09 09:40 PM
i'm liking these improvements...can't wait to see the "big 'back of the box' improvements"

# 142 Glorious Arc @ 03/03/09 09:42 PM
With the new jostling will we see players battle in the endzone with the db and try and win the jump ball? Perfect example at 26 second mark and the 4:55 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQP_bFi7raw

These plays are seen countless times from QBs just throwing the ball up to their tall WRs and letting them make a play on the ball in the endzone. As of currently its a pick/almost always incomplete if you try to do this in 09.

# 143 kcarr @ 03/03/09 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
With the new jostling will we see players battle in the endzone with the db and try and win the jump ball? Perfect example at 26 second mark and the 4:55 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQP_bFi7raw

These plays are seen countless times from QBs just throwing the ball up to their tall WRs and letting them make a play on the ball in the endzone. As of currently its a pick/almost always incomplete if you try to do this in 09.
They definitely need some jump ball animations and if they could get some similar to the ones off of there it would be great.

# 144 Glorious Arc @ 03/03/09 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
They definitely need some jump ball animations and if they could get some similar to the ones off of there it would be great.
Leaping Larry anyone....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmYmhI2hO0

It would be nice to see these kinda catches W/O being forced to user catch

# 145 kcarr @ 03/03/09 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Leaping Larry anyone....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmYmhI2hO0

It would be nice to see these kinda catches W/O being forced to user catch
Definitely agree here. The player ratings and knowing how to use them correctly should in most situations be more powerful than the timing of a button. As for the fitz highlights, same could be said for a lot of guys. Search guys like Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, even Braylon Edwards, there are several more. Pretty much any big receiver who can jump. If they could add some of these catches in and limit the players who could use them. Only players with great jumping, spectacular catch, for some of them possesion catch, for some strength, etc should be able to make these catches on any sort of regular basis. Also players with just the physical portion of that should be able to try these catches almost as often as the ones with actual skills to go with them but they should be unsuccessful in actually making the catch a pretty high portion of the time.

# 146 mKoz26 @ 03/03/09 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSgLNeuV_tM
This is just an unbelievable play by Charles Tillman, but remember that even though a majority of the jump ball fades thrown to big recievers work, there are still plays like this. I encourage everyone here to watch that clip if you love showings of heart and determination by the way.

# 147 kcarr @ 03/03/09 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
This is just an unbelievable play by Charles Tillman, but remember that even though a majority of the jump ball fades thrown to big recievers work, there are still plays like this. I encourage everyone here to watch that clip if you love showings of heart and determination by the way.
Yes, the corner needs to make plays too and their ratings need to come into play as well. If you let it be 100% successful and overpower it as EA has shown a tendency to do in the past it really doesn't solve anything. Right now the advantage is hugely skewed toward the D which needs to change though. Also there isn't much for animations for either a win by the O or a win by the D here and that needs to change.

# 148 Glorious Arc @ 03/03/09 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
Yeah I found that clip shortly after posting my first post about there needing to be endzone jostling. I would LOVE to see a D player snatch a ball out of the WRs hand for the int because it happens.

But, I feel after 08 they nerfed the acrobatic WRs because people abused the rocket jump and now in 09 if I throw a ball up to Larry he will rarly jump up for it/he will let me get picked most of the time if I toss it up like Kurt does in real life. I refuse to user jump becase its overpowered for obvious reasons(orlando pace anyone) and I expect to see players make plays without me doing anything but throwing the ball.

# 149 Sef0r @ 03/04/09 12:02 AM
One word to put on your wall for your team from a previously die hard 2k fan...

"IMPRESSIVE"

Regardless of how deep you go into these new animations and interactions, its a very promising start to the future of Madden.

# 150 niggarachi @ 03/04/09 12:44 AM
another great post guys! keep up the good work! a few suggestions. could you improve on the directional passing? whenever i try to throw it low and away from the defender or high, or behind. i find that the pass is very inaccurate. please overhaul the sidelines and the crowds, they are just as big a part of the game as everyone else. i would like to see cut scenes of the crowd reactions, and sidelinesd 9players and coaches) after a big play whether it be good or bad, and after touchdowns, and even after big wins. i woulkld also like to hear more from the crowd. sdo they really give you that "home field advantage" fell ya know? loud boos when away and cheers at home. stuff like that. you guys are doing a really good job with the layered blending concepts. i hope you can use that tool amongst others to create a neew variety of break tackle animations, catch animations(with the defender draped all over you) tackling , andespecially gang tackling animations. i would also like to see it used for touchdown and big play animations as well. lastly, when playing a rival game, playoff game, or the superbowl, i would like to give those games that speciual feel. hype them up. make the crowds extra hype and active in the games. players on the sidelines hyping up the crowd even more. once again, make home field advantage feel like just that. make it all seem like as important a game that it is. and at the completion of each game have the proper variety of animations and cut scenes to the crowd celebrating or showing thier disappointment as well. when u win the superbowl make it feel like u won the superbowl, or that big playoff game or that mid season game that turned your momentum. also, show a little more glitter and prestige for winning nfl mvp and offensive and defensive player of the year awards. sorry if i was lengthy, but i feel as though these things would big huge improvemnts to franchise play. thanks for listening. keep up the good work.

# 151 jjdogjjdog5162 @ 03/04/09 07:55 AM
Looks really good. This was a big issue to me. All i want now is OL/DL interaction reworked and qb specific throwing animations....

# 152 C WRECK @ 03/04/09 10:12 AM
THANK GOD ITS BEEN A LONG YEAR LOL

# 153 roadman @ 03/04/09 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
This will def slow the game down and thats a good thing, but you people saying "OMAHGAW! HOW CAN YOU TOP THIS!?!?!"

We have seen no gameplay, Madden 09's long bomb passing game was broken and non existence so was the defense, and this doesn't mean its fixed at all or that anythings fixed for that matter.
Coming from where Madden was, wouldn't you agree that people can get somewhat excited for 10?

# 154 Glorious Arc @ 03/04/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
This is why we need procedural awareness.

I love commercials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8XNJmQsCI

And yes we need players to have to look at their QB but there are times with peyton and marvin where marvin didnt even have to look at peyton because they were that in-tune with each other on the timing....

# 155 dk6663 @ 03/04/09 06:17 PM
Hey, I cant see the videos. Where else can i go to see?

# 156 Deltron @ 03/04/09 11:01 PM
Ian,

I hope you guys are aware of how Madden's old defensive assignment feature was slightly broken and/or ineffective. If you assigned a defender to a WR, the defender would simply switch positions in order to stay covering him.

For example, if you assigned Bailey to Moss, and Moss happened to line up in the slot where a safety would usually be on him, Bailey would simply lineup as a safety (with safety depth) and your safety would be your CB. This negates defensive play calls where you want Bailey to be in a bump-n-run coverage, and it negates other types of coverage as well.

I would call this another band-aid approach to defensive assignments. If you look at the way 2k implemented this feature, the defender always maintained their coverage assignment while following the player they are matched to. In madden, if you might end up having a cornerback lined up at LB and a LB playing corner.

# 157 Shadymamba @ 03/04/09 11:09 PM
man looks real good! thx for the update i love to see guys working hard for the fans! keep it up

# 158 NYyankz225 @ 03/05/09 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
Ian,

while those videos do look very good, im hoping you guys put some extra animations for WR & DB like hand checks from a CB as he is running downfield with WR, and bumping or positioning battles between WR & CB within the 5 yards of play. 2K sports did a great job on those animations in thier football games which made for great realism.. Keep up the good work..
You're kidding right? Did u miss the blog?

# 159 frozenblade @ 03/05/09 05:57 PM
These new animations are sick! Now if you could add alot more catch animations and some jump ball animations this madden be amazing! since you have this whole momentum thing going maybe you could add some LB/DB with WR/HB interaction where the halfback will slam into a defrender and they both sort of... well deflect away and then they both get their wits back and slam together again.

# 160 LBzrule @ 03/05/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
Ian,

I hope you guys are aware of how Madden's old defensive assignment feature was slightly broken and/or ineffective. If you assigned a defender to a WR, the defender would simply switch positions in order to stay covering him.

For example, if you assigned Bailey to Moss, and Moss happened to line up in the slot where a safety would usually be on him, Bailey would simply lineup as a safety (with safety depth) and your safety would be your CB. This negates defensive play calls where you want Bailey to be in a bump-n-run coverage, and it negates other types of coverage as well.

I would call this another band-aid approach to defensive assignments. If you look at the way 2k implemented this feature, the defender always maintained their coverage assignment while following the player they are matched to. In madden, if you might end up having a cornerback lined up at LB and a LB playing corner.
This is exactly what I was talking about by not having guys swap positions. I just used different players in my examples. I hated it on the old Madden's for this reason.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.