Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Check out the new Madden NFL 11 video discussing gameplay. If you can't view it on OS, check our Youtube page.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Only1LT @ 06/09/10 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
Granted these running animations are not good as well in the Older Maddens....they run WAY upright...but the various tackle, break tackle, catch, etc animations blend in well with each other.

here are transition animations for Madden 07..

Madden 08

Madden 08
I know what you are trying to say and I agree with you. Not sure why the animations look so much weirder than they used to. Not that 07 and 08 were great either, but no where near as odd looking as Madden looks now.

The animations have improved some to be fair, and I would agree that those are probably early vidz so here's hoping that this isn't indicative of the final product.

One thing though. Can they please get rid of that animation where you juke a defender and the defender falls down. Ray Rice does it around the mid point of the vid (I think it was Rice anyway). It happens way too often. It feels canned and predetermined like the game decided to let you make a big play ahead of time. And it looks ridiculous. Not even Barry Sanders made people fall down all the time. I could trigger this animation at will on 10 with Brandon Jacobs for goodness sake.

Forget motion capturing amateurs in a studio doing prescripted actions. Can't they use footage from actual games as animations in the game? If Walt Disney and Don Bluth could trace cartoon images over cells of live action motion to make their animations more realistic in their cartoons all those many years ago, I find it hard to believe that something similar can't be done where polygons are superimposed over NFL footage.

# 22 TheWatcher @ 06/09/10 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
Yeah but Gameplay doesn't matter if Franchise isn't good. The two go hand in hand.
Only those who are really deeply into franchise modes take that view.

# 23 Bgamer90 @ 06/09/10 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
Trust me, the overall look isn't going to be any different than what you just saw. We go through these optimistic-laden claims of EA apparently using old footage of their game every year, and we always get extremely similar final gameplay in the end. EA is tremendously consistent with what they show throughout their development cycle. In fact, if it's one thing that EA does well, they are amazingly proficient at reaching their goals early in the development process (as opposed to waiting to the last second).

And it seems like even in these allegedly early video releases, they achieved their preferred goals in implementing locomotion and improving blocking. Like someone said earlier, it's still very awkward looking, but that's part and parcel of EA's Madden this year. We're not going to get better transitions until Madden 12 at the earliest (if not Next-Gen altogether, which is more likely).

Unfortunately, the continued awkward transitions between animations are enough to prevent me from getting Madden 11 this year (especially now that it's becoming less and less likely that they're including a tv package presentation). But it's somewhat assuring that they've finally included effective blocking in their game this year. That should make running more rewarding.
Well all you have to base that on is the past, and while there weren't MAJOR changes compared to the early videos in the past, there were some improvements from early videos to the final game.

This documentary series was made in March and now it's June. While I understand you thinking that things overall will be exactly the same, you really can't say that 100%. For all we know they could have been working on the way animations transition these past months.

Hate saying this since it has been said many times before but we are just going to have to wait until E3 (at least that's what I'm going to do since the build will obviously be the closest to how the final game will be).

# 24 TreyIM2 @ 06/09/10 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
Granted these running animations are not good as well in the Older Maddens....they run WAY upright...but the various tackle, break tackle, catch, etc animations blend in well with each other.

here are transition animations for Madden 07..

Madden 08

Madden 08
U have a point with these vids. Wow. Didn't realize how much smoother they ran back in those days. Heck, I had Madden 08 for my PS3 well before I even had a PS3 but just that quickly, though, Madden 08 for my PS3 got traded back in for the PS2 version, which I had got for my PS2 on release day. Lol. I just couldn't stomach Madden 08 for the PS3.

Also, I was expecting more in terms of newness that was never touched on from this video. I was not enthused by it. I think NCAA 11 is going to get much of my attention, this year...but I am a NFL head more than college ball head. We'll see.

# 25 Only1LT @ 06/09/10 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
That's like 70% of us according to OS polls. I wouldn't take improving franchise lightly. I swear, if IR is still broken...
Never been a franchise guy I must admit. Can't remember the last time I even played one season. Playing the computer gets pretty boring to me. I'll play some rivalry games or I might get inspired to recreate a game that I just watched earlier that was amazing, but for the most part, if I am playing the comp it's in practice mode.

Having said that, if you are actually playing the games and not simming, how could you not want gameplay to be focused on first before anything else, even as a franchise guy? I'm not a franchise guy again, but like I said, unless you are simming, I can't see franchise being worthwhile if you aren't actually enjoying playing the games.

# 26 Bgamer90 @ 06/09/10 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Having said that, if you are actually playing the games and not simming, how could you not want gameplay to be focused on first before anything else, even as a franchise guy? I'm not a franchise guy again, but like I said, unless you are simming, I can't see franchise being worthwhile if you aren't actually enjoying playing the games.
Exactly.

# 27 tommyboii2008 @ 06/09/10 01:23 AM
So they finally admitted the blocking problems. so i guess next year they will address the recycled animations and give it a special name and sell it for $60 and call it new..

# 28 cowboykmoney @ 06/09/10 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Only those who are really deeply into franchise modes take that view.
ell Im a firm believer of that myself, Because it has to be fixed in order for them to turn the corner for madden to start to become great.

# 29 khaliib @ 06/09/10 01:39 AM
All I got to say is that the bar for Madden has always been 2k5 up until now, but the new "Other Game" with it's flaws has raised the bar very high. Also, it used to be NCAA was the little sister to Madden, but they seem to be passing Madden also as far as new and fresh. If half of the nitches in the "Other Game" are tweaked or fixed, there is going to be problems. The days of Madden taken "Baby Steps" and trying to pass such stuff off as new has reached the cliff.

Remember how Live used to be "The" game, but allowed another game developer to swoop in and take their crown.

As good as Fifa is, PES is on their heels.

It seems that gamers are no longer interested in "Inclusion" but "Innovation in sports games.

# 30 cowboykmoney @ 06/09/10 01:44 AM
Well only E3 will tell the whole story we all look for in Madden 11 this year...

# 31 J Masta J @ 06/09/10 01:49 AM
I really don't get why they released this video NOW, of all times. E3 is less than a week away. All of this footage is MONTHS old and all the info has been known for quite some time. Heck, we've even had in depth blogs about these issues...

I really hope Ian's comment that Gameplay trumps all was not some sort of attempt to justify coming deficiencies in franchise mode...but with the lack of any info whatsoever, it wouldn't surprise me. Gameplay is important, but as someone mentioned before, the franchise elements are what give the games replay value.

# 32 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/09/10 02:00 AM
I really think it's coming along very good. Some people seem to be not happy. But who is ever happy with everything. But holding judgement until after next week.

# 33 tooldude79 @ 06/09/10 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
attempt to justify coming deficiencies in franchise mode...but with the lack of any info whatsoever, it wouldn't surprise me. .
this is what concerned me as well. i think it is safe to say that if we dont hear about any franchise info before the game comes out then they probably didnt do much to improve on it. i really hope this wont be the case, and they are just waiting to release the franchise info closer to 8/10...my purchase is hanging in the balance

# 34 J Masta J @ 06/09/10 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
this is what concerned me as well. i think it is safe to say that if we dont hear about any franchise info before the game comes out then they probably didnt do much to improve on it. i really hope this wont be the case, and they are just waiting to release the franchise info closer to 8/10...my purchase is hanging in the balance
exactamundo, my friend.

# 35 Bgamer90 @ 06/09/10 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAdrianPI
Swore off all EA gams till they stop this ban coming to used games. If you only released games that are not just roster updates, Screw you EA hoping everyone with a stake in the videogame industry say NO to EA and Maddcash(MADDEN).
Well then I guess you're going to stop playing video games period because by the looks of it, ALL games will have codes of some sort pretty soon to combat used games sales.

# 36 MrSkagTrendy @ 06/09/10 05:11 AM
"I think that the logic of them just knowing what their assignment is, is a game changer." - Anthony Stevenson

This is the problem..THAT SHOULD ALWAYS BE THERE

Also, Ian may have hinted that they've overhauled presentation and franchise, when he was talking about gameplay. "It doesn't matter what your presentation is, it doesn't matter what your franchise is if your gameplay's not there."

# 37 rooney8 @ 06/09/10 05:29 AM
I hate how every year they say this Madden is the best ever but then next year they show how bad it was and say this Madden is the best ever.
On the Bucs sweep the hb is about to run into the endzone and then freezes and waits for the tackle. Animations triggering does not look smooth at all.

# 38 rooney8 @ 06/09/10 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkagTrendy
Also, Ian may have hinted that they've overhauled presentation and franchise, when he was talking about gameplay. "It doesn't matter what your presentation is, it doesn't matter what your franchise is if your gameplay's not there."
Just think that means he feels he has the gameplay right.

# 39 Nza @ 06/09/10 05:48 AM
Actually a really good franchise and crap gameplay can still make for a good simulated franchise mode

There is still a mammoth amount of suction in this video. Madden has never been a pretty looking game in broadcast camera views because the movements are jittery and the transitions are inconsistent in speed because having full control gets priority over life like movement. The game always looks better in game cameras because it follows the ball carrier - the broadcast cameras used for trailers etc follow a scene and this really emphasizes the odd movements that a camera reacting to those movements otherwise wouldn't.

I'm certain this *is* the Madden "feel" that many want EA to grow apart from, but simply won't as it's a big risk.

# 40 JMD @ 06/09/10 06:47 AM
I'm going to wait for E3 and see what EA has to offer. Maybe this is old footage, but I don't think it will change a whole lot. Nothing I've seen so far has me the least bit interested in this game. It looks ridiculous. Players still jerk and skate all over the place. Why can't the Madden team make a game in which players move in a realistic manner?

It seems quite clear to me that Madden has gone as far as it can go on this generation of consoles. Unless the completely re-tool this game , this is what we're going to get. Madden 10 with a few very slight adjustments.

PS: I'll bet a weeks pay that people will be complaining about how easy the outside run game is once the game comes out. In Madden 10 when the blocking only randomly worked, pitches and tosses were way to easy to exploit. Now that the blocking is supposedly fixed look out. I see everyone using the Titans and running CJ outside all day.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.