Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, discussing the art of passing.

Quote:
"Steve Nash, John Stockton, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd. When you read these names one of the first things that should enter your mind is their amazing passing ability. They’ve got the innate gift of hitting players right where the ball needs to be. They not only complete the pass but also put receivers in position to make the next move. With this being said, has a player’s passer rating ever really mattered in a basketball videogame to this extent? Sure, it might have been factored into whether or not a player will be able to throw a good alley-oop or dish off a fancy pass. But in the end, couldn’t you throw a 35 foot chest pass to a covered receiver with the same accuracy using Steve Nash as you could with, say, Joel Przybilla? The answer is a resounding yes, but in 2K11, pass ratings matter in almost every aspect of throwing the ball. Whether you’re trying to thread the needle on a pass to the interior or you’re attempting to pass out of a shot, the passing ability of the ball-handler now matters. It determines whether or not the pass will be clean or will force the receiver to adjust his stance to catch the ball. The receiver might have to lean or the pass might force him to adjust so much that he bobbles the ball (which in turn can be retrieved by anyone). Many factors come into play here other than the pass rating, such as the distance to the receiver and how open the receiver is where he’s supposed to catch the ball. It’s amazing the difference this has made to the passing game and we’re very happy that pass ratings finally matter."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 P21J @ 08/24/10 05:01 PM
Very interesting article. I'm glad they got rid of that stupid looking pass-out-of-shot animation. It looked horrible and I thought it was unrealistic to have players do that pass who aren't good passers (Shaq, Tim Duncan,DHoward). I'm also pretty excited for the gameplay video

# 2 elprez98 @ 08/24/10 05:05 PM
Passer rating matters? Great stuff. I bet there are going to be a lot fewer full court passes off the inbound. I CAN NOT WAIT for this game to drop.

# 3 Rocboyz101 @ 08/24/10 05:06 PM
Wow...This is sounding amazing.

# 4 DaWolf @ 08/24/10 05:07 PM
The right Stick Passung wasnt in gamescom Build i tried it out happy to Hear about that an the overhead Animation. Would have loved to See Manual Ground Passes though.

# 5 youngfaze01 @ 08/24/10 05:07 PM
I love this Insight as well as the screens there. CP3 looks more like himself than the previous titles. My favorite is the LBJ pic.

# 6 wrestlinggod1 @ 08/24/10 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Passer rating matters? Great stuff. I bet there are going to be a lot fewer full court passes off the inbound. I CAN NOT WAIT for this game to drop.
PSSSHH who you tellin?? 2K is just knocking down the complaints one by one.

# 7 youngfaze01 @ 08/24/10 05:12 PM
Still waiting for that gameplay video though. Waiting to see new teams play other than Mavs and Heat.

# 8 infam0us @ 08/24/10 05:13 PM
Sounds great. Only thing that worries me is the effectiveness of the ball fake when your moving around. I really hope if you try to pull it off too often the player loses the ball.

# 9 SageInfinite @ 08/24/10 05:13 PM
Sounds great, 2k is really trying to kick down the door this year.

# 10 mikenoob @ 08/24/10 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Sounds great. Only thing that worries me is the effectiveness of the ball fake when your moving around. I really hope if you try to pull it off too often the player loses the ball.
You come to a stop anyways, so if you don't bite for the fake you'll still be right in front of them.

# 11 BezO @ 08/24/10 05:14 PM
Sounding real good. NBA 2K has been my favorite game on this generation of systems and I'm lookin forward to '11 more than any other. Can't wait.

# 12 youvalss @ 08/24/10 05:14 PM
By far the deepest insight so far. I liked everything about this one. I can't wait to see the game in action.

PS: According to the Howard-Boozer screenshot, the calf sleeve-sock bug is still there. Still an early build...?

# 13 ehh @ 08/24/10 05:15 PM
Damn, Wang's best ideas from Live '10 are all being brought to 2K11. Right stick passing is great, hopefully it's a little more accurate/intelligent in 2K11 than it was in Live.

700 new passing animations is crazy.

Fake passing doesn't look like it works at all against the CPU based on the Gamescon vid but it should be lethal against human opponents and especially cheesers.

The kickout passes sound like they should help with the drive-n-kick game, anxious to see/feel this.

I'm skeptical on the "passer rating matters now" stuff, I feel like we've been hearing that for years without it actually happening. This article makes it sound better then ever, but yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Side note, in the new screens the socks look great but they almost look out of place because the sneakers still look bland.

# 14 Canquain @ 08/24/10 05:15 PM
Jameer Nelson is wearing the John Wall shoes lol.

# 15 HotSauce2k3 @ 08/24/10 05:15 PM
Everything sounds great.

One thing that bothered me in 2k10 was fastbreak passing. As in, we have a fastbreak, and I have a lights out 3pt shooter that is running down the side of the court behind the 3pt line. If I'm at half court and pass it to him, it automatically leads him towards the basket, which is NOT what I wanted to do, because there is a defender waiting in the paint and he easily cuts the pass off. I wonder if this will be addressed.

# 16 elprez98 @ 08/24/10 05:18 PM
Can you imagine a fake pass against an overzealous defender, coupled with total control passing for a back cut. This is shaping up very well.

# 17 LeBronistheKing @ 08/24/10 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
By far the deepest insight so far. I liked everything about this one. I can't wait to see the game in action.

PS: According to the Howard-Boozer screenshot, the calf sleeve-sock bug is still there. Still an early build...?

Lord I hope they fix this. They have to notice it since it is so obvious. As far as the insight goes I loved every bit of it. Sounds so great and it truly should add a whole new dimension to the game cannot wait.

# 18 VDusen04 @ 08/24/10 05:19 PM
I'm pleased alley-oops were mentioned. Namely, I'm happy to hear the off-the-backboard lobs will actually be possible in the right context. Also nice to know they cleaned up the alley-oop throwing animation. And of course, the lobs out of the post are a tremendous bonus.

# 19 RubenDouglas @ 08/24/10 05:19 PM
Sounds good. but every year it sounds good. so I shall await those long intense gameplay vids

# 20 Jano @ 08/24/10 05:20 PM
Great insight this exactly what I wanted to hear! Hopefully the execution is on point this year though..

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.