Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 321 KingV2k3 @ 12/16/10 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I'm in support of the new hitting mechanic, I'm just not sure that I will be very good at it, especially if I have to move both the left (for PCI) and right sticks.

Knowing the MLB devs, there will be plenty of options so I can either go back to the old way of doing things, or find a happy middle ground.

Adjustable cameras is awesome. Hopefully someone will post settings for all 30 teams in terms of pitching views.
I read that you can use the new controls or the old ones...they're all included as options...

I'm probably going to stick to classic pitching, because I'm always really, really happy with the results, but I'd like to try this new hitting system, although I'm kind of wondering if it's going to be a steep 'adjustment curve' after so many years with the previous system...

Anyway...game looks like it's going to 'set the bar' again for sports titles...

YAY!

# 322 CoreyMac @ 12/16/10 02:03 PM
how does check swings work under swing stick, if at all? Over the past 2 years i've become extremely good with check swinging, but quite frankly i'd rather use the swing stick than face buttons to hit.

# 323 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/10 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyMac
how does check swings work under swing stick, if at all? Over the past 2 years i've become extremely good with check swinging, but quite frankly i'd rather use the swing stick than face buttons to hit.
Pull back or don't press forward all the way. The check swing you trigger (if you trigger one at all) will be determined by how far forward you swing and the batters ratings.

# 324 dasfette @ 12/16/10 02:15 PM
I think I'm getting a clue! A REALLY BIG clue!!!

# 325 AtlantaBraves22 @ 12/16/10 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
"They're baaack!"

Lol. Us braves fans are very picky. Lol. I already sent pictures in for the out of town score board. Turner field gotta a new one at the beginning of last year. So they have no reason not to put it in.

# 326 CoreyMac @ 12/16/10 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Pull back or don't press forward all the way. The check swing you trigger (if you trigger one at all) will be determined by how far forward you swing and the batters ratings.
So even just releasing the stick and moving it back to the center position wont swing through? That was one of my main problems with swing stick in 2K baseball.....even just letting go of the stick on a pitch you dont want to hit becomes a full swing

# 327 Chef Matt @ 12/16/10 02:35 PM
Quote:
So even just releasing the stick and moving it back to the center position wont swing through? That was one of my main problems with swing stick in 2K baseball.....even just letting go of the stick on a pitch you dont want to hit becomes a full swing
If that's he case it sounds like check swings should work just fine then. My concern as well, I live by the check swing. My walk numbers depend on it.

# 328 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 02:43 PM
Quote:
If it is like the MVP College game, then yes.

And to me it appears that way.

2K's was still button presses mapped to a stick ... to as stick (K. Butler).

Was not true analog, it still reacted digitally like you pressed a button.

# 329 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/10 02:45 PM
Quote:

Yes if you don't cross the threshold your batter won't swing.

# 330 Blzer @ 12/16/10 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Yes if you don't cross the threshold your batter won't swing.
There was a system I recommended a year ago where there were two ways to check swing, one being the way that you mentioned and the other was to snap your stick back after thrusting it forward. Thing of the "back to center" check swing as the kind where the player checks but holds his bat out there, and the other is where the player starts to go and then snaps the bat back, trying to hold from swinging.

So once you go forward with your swing, there's no going back, correct? That's cool anyway, it would be too difficult to do haha. I suppose I could only do it with a Move controller.

# 331 nemesis04 @ 12/16/10 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
There was a system I recommended a year ago where there were two ways to check swing, one being the way that you mentioned and the other was to snap your stick back after thrusting it forward. Thing of the "back to center" check swing as the kind where the player checks but holds his bat out there, and the other is where the player starts to go and then snaps the bat back, trying to hold from swinging.
NCAA had both of those options for a check swing.

# 332 YanksFan4Life @ 12/16/10 03:39 PM
Man im so happy over RAIN being introduced into the game... I remember wanting this for so long in the mlb the show series..... Cant wait to see more...

BTW Has any Yankee player models been remodeled?

# 333 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

So once you go forward with your swing, there's no going back, correct? That's cool anyway, it would be too difficult to do haha. I suppose I could only do it with a Move controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
NCAA had both of those options for a check swing.

Yep, and this sounds spot on to MVP's system.

# 334 Pared @ 12/16/10 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I have never played online leagues, so don't know limits or restrictions. I don't take anything for granted or assume.

I made the mistake assuming '09-'10 that the runners would have batting gloves on basepaths, and we saw how that worked out. By far less complicated then adding live trading to a shared roster file among 30 users.
I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it.

# 335 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan4Life
Man im so happy over RAIN being introduced into the game... I remember wanting this for so long in the mlb the show series..... Cant wait to see more...

All the player models have been redone.

# 336 econoodle @ 12/16/10 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan4Life

only one they have shown so far is CC in the Trailer, he looked the same.
As long as they get Mark Prior down right, all is well

# 337 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
only one they have shown so far is CC in the Trailer, he looked the same.
As long as they get Mark Prior down right, all is well
He was redone, and had a fat belly. Where last year they were just boxy and wide.

All of the player models are redone.

# 338 YanksFan4Life @ 12/16/10 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
All the player models have been redone.
HOLY MOLY! wow that is great to hear!

p.s. Sorry for the corny celebration!

# 339 Yankees_CT @ 12/16/10 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
He was redone, and had a fat belly. Where last year they were just boxy and wide.

All of the player models are redone.
^^^This, and it is very easy to tell that his model has changed. Last year it just looked like he was a typical player model that was stretched. This year he looks like himself....A fat bad *** who I can not wait to take to the mound!

# 340 JayD @ 12/16/10 05:28 PM
I hope that players are called up from or sent down to the minors depending on how they perform throughout the season. Last year players were only called up for an injured player.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.