Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 361 Chef Matt @ 12/17/10 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling19
One of the things I am wondering about is did they fix it so a crowd of 22,000 fans actually looks like 22,000 fans. It always seemed regardless of crowd size the stadiums always looked totally full in MLB 10 the show.
I know that there was an issue with attandence (sp?) not showing correct numbers or something like that, but I did notice plenty of empty seats in alot of the games I played.

# 362 SoxFan01605 @ 12/17/10 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Perhaps I need to wait until more info is out, or maybe I missed this after reading the thread. Will classic pitching be available using the analog controls, or is that option only with the meter?

Love the lighting and weather additions!
I don't think it's with the meter though. My understanding is that it's R stick pitching with it's own type of meter. So that is it's own option (not R Stick combined with Meter or Classic).

I would assume (given that SCEA leaves us with our options) that it's R stick, Meter, and Classic as your choices, rather Than R stick-Meter, R stick-Classic, Meter, and Classic.

# 363 Knight165 @ 12/17/10 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I don't think it's with the meter though. My understanding is that it's R stick pitching with it's own type of meter. So that is it's own option (not R Stick combined with Meter or Classic).

I would assume (given that SCEA leaves us with our options) that you still have the separate Meter and Classic options from the previous games.
All previous options stay in.

M.K.
Knight165

# 364 SoxFan01605 @ 12/17/10 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
All previous options stay in.

M.K.
Knight165
I know (I pretty much said just that, though apparently not very clearly...lol). I was more trying to clarify that I don't think the R Stick pitching is a Meter or Classic choice but it's own singular option separate from the other two.

So I'd assume it's R stick, Meter, and Classic rather Than R stick-Meter, R stick-Classic, Meter, and Classic.

# 365 BlingBling19 @ 12/17/10 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdad
I know that there was an issue with attandence (sp?) not showing correct numbers or something like that, but I did notice plenty of empty seats in alot of the games I played.
I mean I'm not saying there weren't empty seats but how they were distributed inside the stadiums is what made it look weird. Like a small crowd of 20K would mostly sit around the home plate area going out. That means most of the upper deck would be empty and there would be entire sections with nobody in them.

That is what I am hoping they captured for this year is when there are only 20K in a 40K seat stadium that half the stadium looks empty. Again I think this goes back to how the crowd is distributed inside the stadiums.

# 366 Knight165 @ 12/17/10 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I know (I pretty much said just that). I was more trying to clarify that I don't think the R Stick pitching is a Meter or Classic choice but it's own singular option separate from the other two.

So I'd assume it's R stick, Meter, and Classic rather Than R stick-Meter, R stick-Classic, Meter, and Classic.
Yes.
(I'm "guessing".)

M.K.
Knight165

# 367 ltw0303cavs @ 12/17/10 10:50 AM
I am not a big analog guy, but I am glad they put it in. It now give everybody a choice how they want to play. Now did the fix Lincecum's windup ?? lol that is the question. Lighting seems to be much much better. I think and maybe im wrong they corrected the Rangers batting helmets ? Did MLB finally update their style guide ??

# 368 CMH @ 12/17/10 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Go make a video outside about it

Spoiler
Forget a video. Here are two pics from Tim Lincecum pitching.

I'm not gonna go through the trouble of uploading these on a photo hosting site so bear with me here...

PHOTO 1:
Tim Lincecum stands, arms to his side, as the user (here it is the CPU, but it doesn't make a difference in-game) selects the pitch type and location.

PHOTO 2:
Tim Lincecum goes into his set position as he prepares to throw.

The way it should work is Tim Lincecum should always be in his set position like in PHOTO 2. Instead, that's not the case and has never been the case in MLB The Show (or any other baseball game that comes to mind). I'm not sure why that's the case, but it looks awkward to have him and any other pitcher just stand there, arms to their sides as they wait for the sign.

In that video, Tim even waves off a pitch, but he's not even set. His head moves. People like to complain about accessories. I rather will complain about signature styles and to me, the arms to the side animation takes away from the realism of the game.

Watch this video and you'll see what I'm talking about here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/03/04...objectid=42460

# 369 Knight165 @ 12/17/10 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX007
I hope there no 6'4" marco scutaro for 60% of the year so I can have some decent rosters this year. It took them forever to fix that...I didnt even bother using knights rosters because of this glitch....
That will not be a problem this year.

M.K.
Knight165

# 370 Bondsfan @ 12/17/10 12:18 PM
How long has It been since a game had a good true cursor zone hitting? 2K did try it two years ago, but their ugly bat cursor was ridiculously difficult to make contact with. Also the cursor and sweet spot were the same for a pitcher and the best hitter in the league. This has always been my favorite hitting mechanic so I hope it's done well. Preferably, the cursor and sweet spot get bigger for better hitters.

This is definitely the one feature that I'm going to be following info about in the coming months.

# 371 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/10 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
How long has It been since a game had a good true cursor zone hitting? 2K did try it two years ago, but their ugly bat cursor was ridiculously difficult to make contact with. Also the cursor and sweet spot were the same for a pitcher and the best hitter in the league. This has always been my favorite hitting mechanic so I hope it's done well. Preferably, the cursor and sweet spot get bigger for better hitters.

This is definitely the one feature that I'm going to be following info about in the coming months.
It uses the PCI, so it will be bigger and smaller based on hitters, and also bigger and smaller based on counts and situational hitting.

# 372 Blzer @ 12/17/10 01:26 PM
Actually CMH, I think Tim pitches like I used to pitch. I stand upright slightly facing the third base line, and I have the ball in my glove and fold my glove over my cup area, hand sort of behind my back, waiting for a sign. After that, he pitches straight from there. So yes, technically he doesn't have a set position anywhere and he simply goes from A to B. I'll have to find a video to confirm this though (and no, I'm not going to record one ).

EDIT: This is the best YouTube video I could find.

# 373 Chris_SCEA_Sports @ 12/17/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Forget a video. Here are two pics from Tim Lincecum pitching.

I'm not gonna go through the trouble of uploading these on a photo hosting site so bear with me here...

PHOTO 1:
Tim Lincecum stands, arms to his side, as the user (here it is the CPU, but it doesn't make a difference in-game) selects the pitch type and location.

PHOTO 2:
Tim Lincecum goes into his set position as he prepares to throw.

The way it should work is Tim Lincecum should always be in his set position like in PHOTO 2. Instead, that's not the case and has never been the case in MLB The Show (or any other baseball game that comes to mind). I'm not sure why that's the case, but it looks awkward to have him and any other pitcher just stand there, arms to their sides as they wait for the sign.

In that video, Tim even waves off a pitch, but he's not even set. His head moves. People like to complain about accessories. I rather will complain about signature styles and to me, the arms to the side animation takes away from the realism of the game.

Watch this video and you'll see what I'm talking about here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/03/04...objectid=42460
Allow me to explain...

Prior to last year (or was it the year before) all of our pitchers acted exactly as you describe, but we began re-doing all of our pitchers (a multi-year process) so that they have personal step-ups, nods, etc...we have not finished this process, however, so some "legacy" pitchers remain. These personal step-ups are most obvious from the stretch..where the pitcher will be bent at the waist, etc waiting for signs...but your example of Lincecum is correct, he had not been re-done in the new way.

I am sure Pettitte has a "personal step-up" with his hands up high before he takes his signs. It is possible his hands are not exactly where they should be, and I will look into that, and correct it before we ship.

Chris

# 374 ChaseB @ 12/17/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
Allow me to explain...

Prior to last year (or was it the year before) all of our pitchers acted exactly as you describe, but we began re-doing all of our pitchers (a multi-year process) so that they have personal step-ups, nods, etc...we have not finished this process, however, so some "legacy" pitchers remain. These personal step-ups are most obvious from the stretch..where the pitcher will be bent at the waist, etc waiting for signs...but your example of Lincecum is correct, he had not been re-done in the new way.

I am sure Pettitte has a "personal step-up" with his hands up high before he takes his signs. It is possible his hands are not exactly where they should be, and I will look into that, and correct it before we ship.

Chris
And boom goes the dynamite.

# 375 UNIT 210 @ 12/17/10 02:23 PM
RUSSEL,

Can you tell us what upgrades have been made to the crowds aswell as stadium atmosphere. An upgrade I have been dying for is having fans in the crowd actually catch or pickup baseballs hit into the stands. I think it would be great to see fans fight over a ball or make a catch. Any info would be great. Thanks. PS Any upgrades on Yankee Stadium auxillary scoreboards next to their jumbotron.

# 376 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
Allow me to explain...

Chris
Sweet! Yeah his hands etc.. are off to the side in the game. You shouldn't see anything under his eyes except a bit of nose:

# 377 poster @ 12/17/10 02:47 PM
Thanks guys for the replies on the pitching modes, should be fun.

# 378 nemesis04 @ 12/17/10 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Thanks guys for the replies on the pitching modes, should be fun.
A blast from the past! Hi poster!

# 379 Heroesandvillains @ 12/17/10 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
It's already like that......He's standing straight up with glove up to mouth before making a pitch selection....
He just needs to be more straight towards the plate as right now he's a little off center. Also his glove is too high. Anyways it's close.....
I'm not sure what roster set you're using, or if your Andy Pettitte has "Andy Pettitte's" SCEA windup, but in my franchise, Andy Pettitte's glove is not "kissing" his lips (so to speak).

His glove is high during his set, but it's not on his face.

# 380 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I'm not sure what roster set you're using, or if your Andy Pettitte has "Andy Pettitte's" SCEA windup, but in my franchise, Andy Pettitte's glove is not "kissing" his lips (so to speak).

His glove is high during his set, but it's not on his face.
I said that. The point of the post was to say "Andy already has glove/hands UP before you seelct a pitch. Miscommunication

CMH part I hilighted:
It would be nice to see Andy Pettitte, for example, already have glove to mouth, bill of the cap over his eyes, as you think about your pitch and location.Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

I said:
It's already like that......He's standing straight up with glove up to mouth before making a pitch selection....
He just needs to be more straight towards the plate as right now he's a little off center. Also his glove is too high. Anyways it's close.....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.