Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 341 countryboy @ 12/16/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I hope that players are called up from or sent down to the minors depending on how they perform throughout the season. Last year players were only called up for an injured player.
am hopeful for this as well.

# 342 Dog @ 12/16/10 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I hope that players are called up from or sent down to the minors depending on how they perform throughout the season. Last year players were only called up for an injured player.
I hope there are "untouchable" players if they do this. You would never see Jeter in the minors because he is having a bad season. Things like that

# 343 artdog5110 @ 12/16/10 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I don't know how the online portion works El M....
I'll try and find out.
I'm thinking custom rosters are going to be AWESOME this year.
Yep.

M.K.
Knight165
So does that mean customized leagues in season mode?

# 344 CMH @ 12/16/10 08:05 PM
This seems like a small quibble, but something that has always bothered me in baseball games.

A pitcher not being set prior to choosing the pitch you want.

I always found it awkward that the pitcher stands there, arms to his side and then once you choose the pitch you want, he goes into his set animation before going into his windup.

Seems backwards, no?

It would be nice to see Andy Pettitte, for example, already have glove to mouth, bill of the cap over his eyes, as you think about your pitch and location.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

# 345 Heroesandvillains @ 12/16/10 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
This seems like a small quibble, but something that has always bothered me in baseball games.

I always found it awkward that the pitcher stands there, arms to his side and then once you choose the pitch you want, he goes into his set animation before going into his windup.

Seems backwards, no?

It would be nice to see Andy Pettitte, for example, already have glove to mouth, bill of the cap over his eyes, as you think about your pitch and location.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.
I've wanted to see this Pettitte animation for a while now. He looks so fearsome when he takes his signs!

# 346 dmbfan1970 @ 12/16/10 08:43 PM
Looks like I'll will have to go to CES again this year. I didn't think there would be this much addition to the game this year. Boy was I wrong! January can't come soon enough.

Love hearing that commissioners can now reset games. Also the new rating system seems better since it takes in account your win/loss percentage (only good tho if the disconnects don't go for wins), playing in weekly SCEA challenges is very intriguing, co-op play, custom online rosters, playing 30 team leagues with cpu controlled teams (this has to be my favorite feature). Nice to hear they are still working on gameplay smoothness online. I thought it was much improved last year albeit the graphics suffered somewhat.

I'm sure analog will definitely take some getting used to it but the game needed to advance in this direction. Hopefully when playing online in a league each user can select his/her choice for analog/button choices.

Weather, Crowd, Announcing in game are definite improvements to an already beautiful game.

# 347 dmbfan1970 @ 12/16/10 09:04 PM
In regards to the XP points (75 for winner, 25 for loser) will still not solve people disconnecting unless we are assured they will get a loss everytime (for pulling the plug).

Maybe if the points were 60-40 instead would help alleviate this problem? Just a thought....

Hopefully SCEA has further worked on the whole disconnect issue (loss to the person who disconnects, games not showing up as a completed game, etc)

# 348 AtlBraves09 @ 12/16/10 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if there were any adjustments made to the Broadcast fielding camera? I loved it on groundballs and Infield pop ups but I didn't like it so much on fly balls deep in the outfield.

# 349 wrigleyville33 @ 12/16/10 10:14 PM
for team specific cameras, are specific fielding views also going to be made? For example, the Nationals have a higher up broadcast view when the ball is in play.

# 350 Blzer @ 12/16/10 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyville33
for team specific cameras, are specific fielding views also going to be made? For example, the Nationals have a higher up broadcast view when the ball is in play.
I think that was the point behind that statement. At least, that's what would make the most sense.

I'm really digging the custom camera options!

# 351 Skyboxer @ 12/16/10 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH

Seems backwards, no?

It would be nice to see Andy Pettitte, for example, already have glove to mouth, bill of the cap over his eyes, as you think about your pitch and location.Not sure if that makes sense to anyone.
It's already like that......He's standing straight up with glove up to mouth before making a pitch selection....
He just needs to be more straight towards the plate as right now he's a little off center. Also his glove is too high. Anyways it's close.....

# 352 Shakedowncapo @ 12/16/10 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Let me just say it doesn't get any better than this in person.

# 353 CMH @ 12/16/10 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
It's already like that......He's standing straight up with glove up to mouth before making a pitch selection....
He just needs to be more straight towards the plate as right now he's a little off center. Also his glove is too high. Anyways it's close.....
I'm gonna have to pop in the game (which I don't have right now) and take a screen shot or something. Maybe when videos come out (assuming what I'm talking about hasn't changed) I'll show everyone what I mean.

# 354 Blzer @ 12/16/10 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Go make a video outside about it

Spoiler
I was making a point.

# 355 inkcil @ 12/17/10 03:36 AM
Of all the gameplay areas in the Show, it needed to see to see the most improvement in the area of fielding. "Manual" fielding is robotic and CPU controlled. It is not exciting. Feilding is extremely stale and needs a lot of work. It is effective, but boring.

Also, they need to use the analog stick for leading off the bases. There is too much lag with the triggers.

Lastly, they need to add the ability for players and managers to argue calls.

The last few years the Show has done everything right when it comes to batting-pitching...but outside of that its gameplay mechanics fail to fully immerserse the user b/c too much control is left to the CPU.

And how about doing something creative like "U be the ump" mini game where the user can call balls and strikes or decide close plays at the plate?

Oh, almost forgot. Speaking of the plate, plays at the plate are some of the most exciting plays in baseball, but they are boring in the show - it always feels like the CPU controls the slide if u are the baserunner, and if u are the catcher, when the ball is en route to the plate you should have the ability to try to make the out by either blocking the plate or simply applying the tag.

If these things made it into the Show, everyone would be happy. Or rather, happier.

# 356 metal134 @ 12/17/10 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Someone didn't read the entire ESPN article...
I did, but I saw nothing about either.

# 357 poster @ 12/17/10 09:20 AM
Perhaps I need to wait until more info is out, or maybe I missed this after reading the thread. Will classic pitching be available using the analog controls, or is that option only with the meter?

Love the lighting and weather additions!

# 358 Shaffer26 @ 12/17/10 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Will classic pitching be available using the analog controls, or is that option only with the meter?
You have a choice between the two, I believe.

# 359 BlingBling19 @ 12/17/10 10:26 AM
One of the things I am wondering about is did they fix it so a crowd of 22,000 fans actually looks like 22,000 fans. It always seemed regardless of crowd size the stadiums always looked totally full in MLB 10 the show.

# 360 Chef Matt @ 12/17/10 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling19
One of the things I am wondering about is did they fix it so a crowd of 22,000 fans actually looks like 22,000 fans. It always seemed regardless of crowd size the stadiums always looked totally full in MLB 10 the show.
I know that there was an issue with attandence (sp?) not showing correct numbers or something like that, but I did notice plenty of empty seats in alot of the games I played.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.