Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 421 NJ2NC @ 12/17/10 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
And this is why you guys are amazing. The Pettitte example was a poor one and I didn't check to see if I was right but I was certain this animation "issue" was present.

It doesn't matter. It seems like you guys were already attacking this before I even cared enough to comment on it.

Thank you.

Sent from my mobile device.
It would really be a shame if Andy chooses to stay retired

# 422 Bondsfan @ 12/17/10 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Yes its been tweaked a lot. The major change is you can no longer make contact with the ball when its outside the PCI. Some batters can foul balls this way but you will never again see solid contact when your PCI isn't on the ball.
Ok. I'm now very very excited. Only 3 months....

A good cursor hitting option. I've been waiting for this for this entire generation of consoles, over 5 years. 3 months seems short in comparison.

# 423 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/10 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Ok. I'm now very very excited. Only 3 months....

A good cursor hitting option. I've been waiting for this for this entire generation of consoles, over 5 years. 3 months seems short in comparison.
But yet, it still feels so far away doesn't it?

# 424 countryboy @ 12/17/10 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis

thank goodness Feburary only has 28 days.

# 425 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/10 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
thank goodness Feburary only has 28 days.
Now that is the kind of optimism I like to see!

# 426 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
To clarify you can only create camera angles for pitching and batting.
I know you're busy and if this will be answered in a blog just ignore
Does plying the game in 3D in any way limit the options? Like no custom cameras or hud changing?
Just wondering if the 3D is set to certain things.

Thanks,

# 427 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 10:05 PM
Quote:

I'm going to be playing 2010 to death..... Almost to post season and I should be able to get another year complete before 2011 edition arives.
Jan 14 I have rotator cuff surgery so I hope to get a comfy setup to still play

# 428 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/10 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I'm going to be playing 2010 to death..... Almost to post season and I should be able to get another year complete before 2011 edition arives.
Jan 14 I have rotator cuff surgery so I hope to get a comfy setup to still play
I guess you can pull some positive out of the agony you will be in!

# 429 Skyboxer @ 12/17/10 10:45 PM
Quote:
I guess you can pull some positive out of the agony you will be in!
Just knowing The Show 2011 is around the corner will ease it some

# 430 Joey @ 12/17/10 10:49 PM
That's not the sound of a chain link fence, it's the sound of the ball hitting the protective netting behind home plate. The netting is typically pretty tight and I think the sound effect for it is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyMac
A very small nitpick, but a nitpick for me......when batting, and you foul a ball straight back to the backstop is that sound effect still present where it sounds like the ball is being thrown against a chain link fence? Unless it's supposed to sound like that (never sat behind home plate, but I dont think it does), I dont know about anyone else but its really silly to hear that. I'd rather hear nothing in the background or a thud off the back wall

# 431 Shakedowncapo @ 12/17/10 10:51 PM
See if someone can create an angle that makes lefty/lefty battles feel uncomfortable. For some reason, my stats lefty/lefty are better than lefty/right or vice versa.

And for balls to the backstop...don't a lot of teams use some sort of glass? I know for phillies games you hear it smacking off plexiglass?! And makes a nice thud sound.

# 432 Blzer @ 12/17/10 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
See if someone can create an angle that makes lefty/lefty battles feel uncomfortable. For some reason, my stats lefty/lefty are better than lefty/right or vice versa.
I always had an idea in place for this, but it required too much thought to fit into one post haha. It would be similar to MLB 2K7's batting camera system, but with some caveats here and there (and an attribute for pitcher and batter which determines how the camera would set up for you). Would be nice to have something like that.

# 433 Shakedowncapo @ 12/17/10 10:59 PM
Yea, with so many stances, it would be tideous to keep adjusting the camera. Maybe a flip camera feature? Depending on if a righty or lefty is hitting. Something to add for future titles, I guess.

# 434 Rwings832 @ 12/17/10 11:02 PM
I think it would be cool if you could get the camera to make it work as in a first person view, as if you yourself was looking at the pitcher when hitting.

# 435 econoodle @ 12/17/10 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
Allow me to explain...

Prior to last year (or was it the year before) all of our pitchers acted exactly as you describe, but we began re-doing all of our pitchers (a multi-year process) so that they have personal step-ups, nods, etc...we have not finished this process, however, so some "legacy" pitchers remain. These personal step-ups are most obvious from the stretch..where the pitcher will be bent at the waist, etc waiting for signs...but your example of Lincecum is correct, he had not been re-done in the new way.

I am sure Pettitte has a "personal step-up" with his hands up high before he takes his signs. It is possible his hands are not exactly where they should be, and I will look into that, and correct it before we ship.

Chris

now we just need andy to resign.
if he doesnt, chance u leave him in FA's?

Also since bernie williams hasnt officially hung up the cleats, can u put him in?

# 436 Blzer @ 12/17/10 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
now we just need andy to resign.
if he doesnt, chance u leave him in FA's?

Also since bernie williams hasnt officially hung up the cleats, can u put him in?
Reggie Stocker hasn't retired yet either. Can he find his way on the market?

# 437 Polo Bandit @ 12/18/10 11:13 AM
Will dynamic advertisements be back? I miss those from 09.

# 438 YanksFan4Life @ 12/18/10 02:20 PM
Im anxious to see what "Stadium upgrades" SCEA made to '11 ...

# 439 UNIT-352 @ 12/18/10 06:36 PM
RUSSELL,

The foul poles in Yankee Stadium have black netting on the inside of the pole (not yellow), the netting also goes all the way down the pole to the top of the wall....I noticed in the trailer just released that they are a bit wrong on the Show, could this get fixed? Yea, yea, its really a small detail, but it would be cool if it were fixed...THANKS

# 440 enice128 @ 12/19/10 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I'm also hoping for a playoff mode!
Besides that there's allready so much crossed of my wishlist...and it's only the first batch of info!
I was hoping for a playoff or postseason mode also where you can choose all the teams & pick either USER or CPU. The only way I know to do this in 10 is to sim a season but then u can't pick the teams. I don't understand, all the other games have this mode!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.