Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 441 enice128 @ 12/19/10 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I'm also hoping for a playoff mode!
Besides that there's allready so much crossed of my wishlist...and it's only the first batch of info!
I was hoping for a playoff or postseason mode also where you can choose all the teams & pick either USER or CPU. The only way I know to do this in 10 is to sim a season but then u can't pick the teams. I don't understand, all the other games have this mode!

# 442 artdog5110 @ 12/19/10 10:03 AM
so is the cusomized leaugues available off line to?

# 443 Knight165 @ 12/19/10 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdog5110
so is the cusomized leaugues available off line to?
My guess.
No.
But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.
I'll keep asking though.

M.K.
Knight165

# 444 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/19/10 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I can't understand why they would restrict custom leagues to only online. If the functionality is there, why would they care that some of us may want to create 1 or 2 division leagues and not play online? I hope they do allow us to do so.

I know you do too, Knight, as I am sure you are dreaming of historic seasons that can be recreated...just like I am...

C
Just because the functionality is there for online, does not mean it is an easy task to incorporate it into the franchise mode. Something to keep in mind.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk

# 445 CWood2 @ 12/19/10 01:20 PM
I feel like I had to read too much to find out about rain and dynamic weather ... that in and of itself is HUGE!!!

# 446 Artman22 @ 12/19/10 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
My guess.
No.
But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.
I'll keep asking though.

M.K.
Knight165
Keep asking Knight. I've been hoping they add a mode like this for years. Maybe when you go next month?

# 447 Knight165 @ 12/19/10 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Keep asking Knight. I've been hoping they add a mode like this for years. Maybe when you go next month?
Absolutely.
I'll always be asking(as long as they let me!).....to add things that increase the customization of the game.
I think it's becoming one of it's greatest strengths....for a couple of reasons.
1. It's just fun to be able to change things...
2. We all know issues will arise with any game and if you give the end user a way to change/edit/customize something.....we will find a way to either fix it or work around it. Sure, we and SCEA would both love the "perfect" game...but things happen and slip through.....this is a way to fix.(of course this doesn't really pertain to the custom league...I'm speaking generally).

M.K.
Knight165

# 448 Skyboxer @ 12/19/10 01:56 PM
A global roster editor would be nice too Knight

Even if its an outside the game PC program.
Also A print feature would also be appreciated since the PS3 has printer support...

# 449 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/19/10 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I wonder if they got rid of that animation on a hr where player grabbed is helmet rounding second and third.
Why get rid of it? I thought it looked great. Just have more variety.

# 450 Skyboxer @ 12/19/10 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Why get rid of it? I thought it looked great. Just have more variety.

They need to modify it as it just looks out of place grabbing helmet at each bag.

# 451 green94 @ 12/19/10 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I wonder if they got rid of that animation on a hr where player grabbed is helmet rounding second and third.

I think the devs, before MLB 10 was even released, said that RTP would get major love next year (MLB 11) and that the only animation they captured for HR's in RTP was the "grabbing the helmet" animation. I hope it stays, but yeah, a little variation would be nice.

# 452 Skyboxer @ 12/20/10 07:20 AM
They've said they can't talk about things too much and to wait for the blogs to start coming out with all the info.......

# 453 Shaffer26 @ 12/20/10 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Russell, any of these ideas to be implemented in MLB the Show?

http://darkfudge.com/39022/45401.html
I have been wanting an almanac of some sort. That way you could see how you have done with everybody around the majors.

# 454 Pared @ 12/20/10 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Understood. But at a minimum, custom leagues could be used for single seasons only offline if, in fact, franchise considerations cause an issue.

C
And then someone will complain that they should be able to do it in a franchise.

# 455 Chef Matt @ 12/20/10 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Bandit
Will dynamic advertisements be back? I miss those from 09.
Man I hope so, I loved the dynamic, real-time, ads. I'd love to have those back. Gave the stadiums a better real life feel.

I'd also like to see the old San Diego studios intro/logo back, the one with the ocean and the seagulls.

# 456 beau21 @ 12/20/10 09:55 AM
Question I've thought of before but never asked.

Would it be possible for our current-generation of consoles to support in-franchise-roster-updates? I love the ability put in place to manually make/override trades for every team, but it would be great if there was the ability to have roster updates incorporated into an existing franchise.

I know this isn't a breakthrough idea so I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'm just wondering is it even possible with the current technology?

# 457 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/20/10 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdad
Man I hope so, I loved the dynamic, real-time, ads. I'd love to have those back. Gave the stadiums a better real life feel.

I'd also like to see the old San Diego studios intro/logo back, the one with the ocean and the seagulls.
Yeah, but I rather like the new one (if they use that one) with the umpire cleaning off the plate!

# 458 beau21 @ 12/20/10 10:56 AM
Another thing that I think would be a terrific add..

For each pitcher's attributes, I'd love to see more detailed numbers for their pitches.

For instance, include a "percent thrown" attribute for each pitch.. also a "first pitch strike percentage"..

I'd love to be able to specify:

Slider - 28%
4SFB - 27%
2SFB - 22%
Circle Change - 12%
Curve-ball - 11%

# 459 Chef Matt @ 12/20/10 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Yeah, but I rather like the new one (if they use that one) with the umpire cleaning off the plate!
Haven't seen that one yet! I'm sure I've seen it but haven't paid attention to it.

I also finally saw that SE controller. I will own it.

# 460 Knight165 @ 12/20/10 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
And then someone will complain that they should be able to do it in a franchise.
THEY SHOULD!

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.