Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 06:39 PM
I can not believe nobody noticed this yet...

NIGHT GAME WITH CLOUDS ... and the sky has a pinkish "summer like hue" to it in the lighter areas and clouds...

Lights coming on!!!

Blzer man, you be slacking and sleeping... you of all should have got this one!

# 162 joshtree14 @ 12/15/10 06:40 PM
what about animations, collision detection, graphics, ball physics and trajectory? i wasnt a huge fan 0f the pitching animations from 10 the seemed a little stiff

# 163 Blzer @ 12/15/10 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Blzer man, you be slacking and sleeping... you of all should have got this one!
Believe me I did, I'm just waiting on more shots to see if it indeed stays that way going to night instead of the hazy gray.

# 164 Shakedowncapo @ 12/15/10 06:46 PM
Now that enigma has brought it up...What about the "pitch black" skies? Be awesome if they were finally gone.

# 165 Heroesandvillains @ 12/15/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
My tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard.

M.K.
Knight165
Just don't go overboard with this, as us on OS will need this digital tongue for when you are aloud to speak!

# 166 Blzer @ 12/15/10 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Now that enigma has brought it up...What about the "pitch black" skies? Be awesome if they were finally gone.
Pitch black skies are a part of baseball, though. That "illusion" is created by ambient light. But it's not just the sky, the entire surrounding environment. Even the downtown city skylines of Pittsburgh and San Diego become less visible from inside the stadium.

Unless you meant having the slight visibility of clouds, I don't really know what else you would be able to see when it gets to the point of ultimate darkness.

# 167 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
Not the cap, but the photo on the card. Holliday still has the Rockies uniform on for example. Pretty much every player traded last year or signing with another team still had their 08 picture on the card. It was like they completely forgot about it. Oh yeah, and can ROY from 09 Andrew Bailey please get his real face? I can understand some of the rookies that didn't play much getting the random face, but not a rookie of the year. Unacceptable. Perhaps it had to do with Bailey working for that other game. It is all a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy!
Thats what I mean, the photo on the scoreboard will be with new cap, the uniform on the actualy card will be with them in old team because they havent played a game with their new team to catch them in full uniform. Cards from like upper deck or whatever it is are like that in real life. They have pic from previous year, but the headshot is up to date.

# 168 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Pitch black skies are a part of baseball, though. That "illusion" is created by ambient light. But it's not just the sky, the entire surrounding environment. Even the downtown city skylines of Pittsburgh and San Diego become less visible from inside the stadium.

Unless you meant having the slight visibility of clouds, I don't really know what else you would be able to see when it gets to the point of ultimate darkness.
The pitch black look is real too life I understand what you mean, but its the way it happens. 1 inning we have twilight then next complete darkness. There is no smooth transition. The Maurer sky shot hints that we might see an improvement.

# 169 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 07:04 PM
Quote:

Agreed. Light pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
The pitch black look is real too life I understand what you mean, but its the way it happens. 1 inning we have twilight then next complete darkness. There is no smooth transition. The Maurer sky shot hints that we might see an improvement.
Depends on the time of year ... it is not just one inning, not that fast.

It will be light and not get dark till about the 3rd inning early in the year, in the summer it is darker later, like the 5th ... more tweaking I am sure has been done though.

# 170 Bellsprout @ 12/15/10 07:05 PM

# 171 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 07:06 PM
Quote:
Believe me I did, I'm just waiting on more shots to see if it indeed stays that way going to night instead of the hazy gray.

Check the new thread

# 172 abjsuperstar @ 12/15/10 07:10 PM
hey are the controls from last yr available online as well for mlb11?

# 173 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjsuperstar
hey are the controls from last yr available online as well for mlb11?

Always we would never force you to play the game a certain way.

# 174 callmetaternuts @ 12/15/10 07:15 PM
Really interested to see how the fielding is in the game. With the ability to go back to the 10 method, at least we have somethingnew to try which should give us more control.

Wonder if franchise was touched at all and if so, when we will hear any nuggets of info.

# 175 BiGVaTeR-- @ 12/15/10 07:21 PM
I just need it to be listed on gamestop so i can preorder it and pay it off in full for Christmas but only 10 days left and no date yet on gamestop

# 176 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsGamer5
They obviously listened to the community. They added virtually everything besides(???) player models that most of us Show fans (including me) wanted and asked for. My response to this article:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

Note to Russell: I really love everything that you have added, I already though you listened to the community, but you guys went above and beyond. I honestly wasn't expecting these big of changes, most sports games don't give big changes on a year to year basis. All of the things described in the article blew me out of the water, I commend your team (and yourself obviously) for you're excellent work.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...omparison.html

# 177 BlackBetty15 @ 12/15/10 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Always we would never force you to play the game a certain way.
Pics look real good brother...impressed with the models, especially since you added a sweet rangers nellie cruz pic. Heres to hoping that the lineup bug in franchise is fixed and the trade logic is as well.

# 178 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
And player models....

stay the same
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...omparison.html

You were saying?

# 179 Skyboxer @ 12/15/10 07:32 PM
Finally got home and have read the thread....
WOW! Awesome job SCEA..

I'm going to stay positive though and not even reply to any posts pointing out a negative this or that..or "Not much improvement" insanity posts.

I honestly did not expect this much but am not surprised either due to is being these group of developers.

I simply can not wait to get my hands on it and the hardest part will be putting away 2010.

One quick question if it can be answered: Can the true zone hitting be used with the button swinging? I'll probably still use the analog but was just curious.

Again I'm thoroughly excited and thanks a million SCEA for continuing to make a great game even better.

# 180 Knight165 @ 12/15/10 07:43 PM
27 days......then the inevitable happens.
I can't bear to go back to the previous version and I'll have to put '10 away forever.
I got a lot of work to do on my 2000 season.....and some other roster stuff.

I love all the happiness over the new features...and guys realizing that the dev team at SCEA not only listens to what we(all the Show users..not just us here at O.S.) ask for, but they take it...shape it into the way they envision it to be the best for this series and make it happen.
Once again...KUDOS to all of these guys.

Now....methinks there are still a few more goodies not mentioned in the article!
I'll find out in 27 and report when allowed.
OUT!

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.