Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

What you’ll see is around 10 minutes of gameplay at Miller Park (which has actually been changed since this video was shot.) This is as close to direct-feed that we could get, so the quality is a bit less than perfect. Also, the audio was removed completely as all you could hear was us idiots talking in the background. This is NOT FINAL CODE, and was actually changing throughout the week that we were there. Some things to focus on are the updated player models (no more T-Rex) and the analog controls.

(The team has given permission for me to post this video)

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Drew127 @ 01/19/11 08:15 PM
Wow. This game is looking GORGEOUS.

On Corey Hart's double to the gap in right center, the carom off of the wall looks perfect. I know the physics have been tuned and it shows there. Last year it would have bounced too far off the wall.

Is it just me or is the flight of the ball on pitches a lot better? They look to break a lot more realistically now.

The uniform textures look amazing.

The replay of Hardy grounding out to short looks straight off of Sunday Night Baseball. Look at his swing and follow-through. Looks so life like.

The jumbotrons functioning during replays is going to add so much to this game. Such a seemingly minor thing that will really take this to the next level. I'm also glad that now I can check out the gorgeous jumbotrons in each stadium on replays, at my leisure. Couldn't do that last year!!

Finally...unrelated to the game, this video reminded me what a sick lineup the Brewers have. When Prince Fielder is TIED for 4th on the team in RBI's you know you've got a powerhouse lineup.

# 102 Knight165 @ 01/19/11 08:18 PM
Me?
I'm in favor of the generated real player faces. They would look damn good(as they do in game)....and I hate it when the headshots are "mix and match"(half real/half gen)...the hat doesn't kill me...but to get the correct caps on each player would be pretty nice.

On the OF play...I don't know if it's been mentioned....but they redid some logic and animations, so that the OF'ers don't always go to the correct spot for the carom and just wait there. They will set up...but it might be off and they will have to correct now. I believe it's tied into the fielding ratings as well.
It's good to see that.

M.K.
Knight165

# 103 sbmnky @ 01/19/11 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Me?
I'm in favor of the generated real player faces. They would look damn good(as they do in game)....and I hate it when the headshots are "mix and match"(half real/half gen)...the hat doesn't kill me...but to get the correct caps on each player would be pretty nice.
co-sign

Quote:
On the OF play...I don't know if it's been mentioned....but they redid some logic and animations, so that the OF'ers don't always go to the correct spot for the carom and just wait there. They will set up...but it might be off and they will have to correct now. I believe it's tied into the fielding ratings as well.
It's good to see that.

M.K.
Knight165
This is going to change the gameplay a ton!! I know it's been mentioned for INF play in regards to top tier animations reflecting ratings - is this going to be the same for OF play as well? Will only top tier OF get certain diving animations?

# 104 tree3five @ 01/19/11 08:40 PM
Quote:
Me?

M.K.
Knight165
totally agree knight

# 105 Knight165 @ 01/19/11 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmnky
co-sign

This is going to change the gameplay a ton!! I know it's been mentioned for INF play in regards to top tier animations reflecting ratings - is this going to be the same for OF play as well? Will only top tier OF get certain diving animations?
Yep. Only the elite OF'ers will get to certain animations(according to their fielding ratings....so as players progress/regress I'm pretty sure this will change)
I was specifically referring to the way the OF'ers will play the ball off the wall though....just to clarify. But both are happening.

M.K.
Knight165

# 106 ripwalk @ 01/19/11 11:37 PM
In regards to Knight's question, I would definitely be in favour of having the option to use generated faces. Any time something is an option that's a positive.

However, perhaps to take it one step further, I think the possible options would be great:

Real pictures: Use real pictures only.
Generated: Use generated pictures only
Real until traded: Use real pictures until a player changes teams, then switch to generated.

So with three options you could satisfy everyone.
Real picture for those who want to keep it as is.
Generated for those who want similar style pictures across the board.
And real until traded, for those who want to keep the player pics as much as possible but also hate when there are incorrect hats on players.

In my opinion that would satisfy everyone.

# 107 PSNation @ 01/20/11 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
agreed. Camera angles could be better. even the replay camera couldn't keep up with the ball hitting the wall.
Not only are there a TON of camera angles available, but there are also custom cameras in there as well. You guys really need to wait until the game hits, as I think that you'll be quite impressed.

# 108 PSNation @ 01/20/11 12:54 AM
Quote:
The batter should have called timeout while the pitcher took forever to pitch. Instead it went to an unrealistic cut-scene of the umpire being an idiot.
Also, push down on the d-pad, and you can step-out of the box, same with stepping-off of the rubber while pitching.

# 109 42 @ 01/20/11 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNation
Also, push down on the d-pad, and you can step-out of the box, same with stepping-off of the rubber while pitching.

L1 for the Pitcher though, same as last year.

# 110 PSNation @ 01/20/11 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk
Glen...some great footage, thankyou for taking the time to put that together and upload it, game looks great, as ever but i do have to mention....you do like to swing at junk dont you? Some of those sliders from Santana were way wide brother! lol Just kidding, thanks once again.

Also, i know Glen (PS Nation) was pressing X all the time to skip scenes to show us more footage which was totally fine, but do the human pitchers nod their head to the catcher this year like the CPU pitchers do (it was in 09 but taken out in 10) when the pitch is selected?

Only the CPU did in this clip but im thinking (hoping) that was because the settings were setup for fast pitching? I always have mine set to slow to take my time etc.

Thanks once again.
Sorry that I didn't do the multiquote yo.

Yeah, I was still getting used to the analog hitting, so i was more focused on the timing than the ball placement. Also, you have to admit, those sliders were nasty!

Also, yes, it's a habit to hit 'X' a lot, but I have some other video that I don't do it as much. After we do our live show this weekend, I should have some time to edit some more together, well, after getting sober after the Packers beat the Bears this Sunday...

# 111 PSNation @ 01/20/11 01:00 AM
Quote:
I noticed Corey Hart's jersey is dirty in the replay of his first at-bat. I don't recall any dives in the dirt while he was playing the field, however, he did have a hit and most likely dove into a base in the bottom half. But the replay would have been of his first at-bat before the dive. Not a huge deal but it is noticeable.
Brewers are the home team, so Hart may have dove for a ball in the 1st inning. I cut some of the footage out due to various reasons.

Also, I have no idea why it won't play on mobile, it's nothing that I did.

# 112 PLite14 @ 01/20/11 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
In regards to Knight's question, I would definitely be in favour of having the option to use generated faces. Any time something is an option that's a positive.

However, perhaps to take it one step further, I think the possible options would be great:

Real pictures: Use real pictures only.
Generated: Use generated pictures only
Real until traded: Use real pictures until a player changes teams, then switch to generated.

So with three options you could satisfy everyone.
Real picture for those who want to keep it as is.
Generated for those who want similar style pictures across the board.
And real until traded, for those who want to keep the player pics as much as possible but also hate when there are incorrect hats on players.

In my opinion that would satisfy everyone.
I really like this idea, but if they were to do this I would like to see them modify the lighting of the generated portraits. This might be kind of hard to explain without a screenshot, but it seems like the Show-generated portraits are too dark and shadowed. In reality, when a headshot is taken there are bright lights shining in the player's face.

# 113 Theshowkid @ 01/20/11 01:14 AM
Looks Great def gonna buy like the new stances the Jason bay strike out looked like if it was him batting in real life & Ike davis had asdrubal cabreras stance hopefully they fix that if not its better than generic anyways N player models look better

# 114 PsychoBulk @ 01/20/11 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSNation
Sorry that I didn't do the multiquote yo.

Yeah, I was still getting used to the analog hitting, so i was more focused on the timing than the ball placement. Also, you have to admit, those sliders were nasty!

Also, yes, it's a habit to hit 'X' a lot, but I have some other video that I don't do it as much. After we do our live show this weekend, I should have some time to edit some more together, well, after getting sober after the Packers beat the Bears this Sunday...
Thats great, thanks, the more footage the better.

p.s. any idea if the human pitcher got his head nodding from 09 back in slow play?

# 115 Pared @ 01/20/11 10:17 AM
Look at Knight throwing out the in-game generated face headshots idea...

I'm not telling you any secrets anymore!

# 116 Drew127 @ 01/20/11 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

this is cryptic. But I like it.

# 117 Knight165 @ 01/20/11 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Ha...not trying to steal anyone's thunder.
It was just that at the event, Ramone brought it up and it was kind of being dismissed. I was trying to gauge and drum up some interest in the hopes that Kolbe and Co. would keep considering it....considering how crazy some guys are about the caps.....and that ain't happening with real pics in the game.

Oh....and look who's talking!!!! Gettin' in the first impressions of an event you didn't attend!!! Get your a$$ off of work next time....there are more important things than a paycheck you know!!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 118 Qb @ 01/20/11 01:07 PM
Quote:
It's good to see that.
Outstanding. I was already excited about the "ball-in-play" improvements -- new fielding ratings, tiered animation system, better ball physics, analog throwing, etc -- and hearing that routes/reactions in the OF aren't as "automatic" only adds to it.

# 119 Pared @ 01/20/11 01:19 PM
Quote:
Ha...not trying to steal anyone's thunder.
It was just that at the event, Ramone brought it up and it was kind of being dismissed. I was trying to gauge and drum up some interest in the hopes that Kolbe and Co. would keep considering it....considering how crazy some guys are about the caps.....and that ain't happening with real pics in the game.

Oh....and look who's talking!!!! Gettin' in the first impressions of an event you didn't attend!!! Get your a$$ off of work next time....there are more important things than a paycheck you know!!!

M.K.
Knight165
Guilty as charged.

Until Sony is paying for all the Audi's... I have no choice but to stay at work.

# 120 Pared @ 01/20/11 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew127
this is cryptic. But I like it.
This is creepy. But creepy is my middle name. And I like it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.