Home
Madden 12 News Post

Justin Dewiel, Community Manager of Madden NFL, has made a post on the EA Forums detailing the current status and future of Online Franchise in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
Hey guys, Justin Dewiel, your EA SPORTS Community Manager for the Madden NFL franchise, here with a short update on where we currently are with Franchise mode, and a look at where we’re heading. So many times throughout the year I get the pleasure of revealing features that you, the community, have been asking for.

Revealing our Offline Franchise mode feature set was one of those days. It’s no secret that our Franchise mode was lacking features that our fans expected. This community feedback was the #1 reason behind the renewed focus on Franchise mode in Madden NFL 12. For those of you who missed all of the details on the improvements/additions made to Offline Franchise, you can catch up on everything by clicking here. I feel confident in saying that you’ll be impressed with the experience this year and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Since we revealed the details of the Offline Franchise mode, the most requested question has been, “What upgrades have you made to Online Franchise mode?” We set aggressive development goals for Madden NFL 12 – from the improvements to Offline Franchise and Superstar modes, to the complete overhaul of visuals, addition of custom playbooks, a new collision system, our yet to be discussed Online Communities feature, and more. When it comes to the tight schedule of an annual development cycle, we have to make tough decisions, and it became apparent as we continued to work through our campaign that there was no way to deliver a deep, fully connected Online Franchise experience that you deserve this year. Therefore, there will be no additions to Online Franchise mode in Madden NFL 12.

That said, I can say with absolute certainty that delivering a feature-rich Online Franchise mode is a top priority for the Madden leadership as we move forward. It’s crucial that we transform how and where fans interact with our games and each other. Modes like NCAA Football’s Online Dynasty or FIFA 12’s Football Club are leading the way in building connected experiences, and you can expect that the Madden NFL franchise will aggressively work to meet and exceed your expectations for Online Franchise.

Community is the heart of everything we do at EA SPORTS. We hope you’ve felt represented in everything from the Madden NFL 12 Cover Vote to the new features in this year’s game. Bringing passionate fans together, like you, is the focus of Online Communities feature that we’ll detail on July 25th. We’re excited about sharing more information soon and seeing what you’ll create.

As always, we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 jfsolo @ 07/08/11 04:13 PM
It is good that they brought it up now so that the Online Franchise only folks can save their money and not later on feel like they were hoodwinked. They told us last year about no improvements to Offline Franchise, so it was an easy decision for me to not buy M12. Disappointment but no anger, they made their design decisions, and dealt with the consequences of those choices without obfuscation. That all you can really hope for.

Yes online franchise has been severely neglected for the last couple of years, but going forward from now, I think that modes will always have a heavy year, light year cycle, and many of us may choose to not buy the game in the year where our preferred mode is "light".

The one thing that I don't think will be skimped on in any year any more, is gameplay. I feel like Cam Weber and Roy Harvey are committed to making solid improvements in that area every single year.

# 82 mojo6911 @ 07/08/11 04:16 PM
What a joke. They wonder why it is the most under used feature, when it is barely functional, as is.

# 83 bigbuddah180 @ 07/08/11 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
On OS almost all of the posts are for offline modes.. just saying.
i dont come on here for anything. i just came here to say what i had to say and thats it. regardless if they want to admit it majority of ppl who buy the game play it for the online - jus sayin

# 84 GrandMaster B @ 07/08/11 04:21 PM
I wonder if this July 25th announcement is another online feature where you will need to get micro-transactioned to death in order to keep up

# 85 Danimal @ 07/08/11 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
That article indicates the community day guys knew about this. JD quote indicated they waited this long to let us know because they wanted to be sure what they got in.

I tend to believe the article in that they let this info out now so people could vent and not take away from whatever they plan to announce on the 25th.

# 86 rocky00001 @ 07/08/11 04:38 PM
I havent went without buying madden since the first one that they made way back in the day for SNES. This year i might have to skip it. all i do is play online dynasties. This is a complete buzz kill for me

# 87 roadman @ 07/08/11 04:47 PM
I feel for the OF folks about not recieving any upgrades. Same thing happened last year with Offline FM.

At the very least, they are being honest and upfront about both. They came through with Offline Franchise this year like they said they would. I wouldn't see any different with OF for next year.

I think what may have happened is when Roy Harvey came over from NCAA, he might have said, "we can do better than that."

Would you like it if OF offered a few options that were half-baked or do you want a fully optimized OF under the direction of Roy Harvey?

I'm glad they waited the extra year for offline franchise, hopefully the same holds true for online franchise next year.

# 88 SteelerSpartan @ 07/08/11 04:47 PM
If the online announcement is going to be Custom Online Sliders/Settings...that would be a nice addition.....I was really freaking ticked off when Fight Night lied about there being Custom Gym
Sliders.....All sports games should have this, it lets people enjoy the games their way

I can count the number of online games Ive played of Madden Online since 06 on my hands......Being able to log into an "Official Operation Sports Lobby" or something where all games are played on pre-approved OS Slider/Settings...might get me back into the mix

Yeah the Online Franchise is a bummer, but if DPP and the other Franchise improvements actually work and function well, then I can forgive a little

# 89 dkp23 @ 07/08/11 04:47 PM
Should of sacrificed Superstar mode to work on Online Franchise....

Not sure what the reveal is going to be for online later this month, but it will probably be underwhelming. In the initial madden teaser, there was some type of gamecast picture so its likely going to be that which is not a big deal to me considering it will not be implemented across the board. Im guessing it will be for 3 v 3 team play...

Sad, new generation of consoles coming in a couple years and the cycle will continue itself when they strip down the game again...

# 90 DaggerSwagger @ 07/08/11 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxOpie24xxx
Love how they say they do not have the time to make all the changes they would like to but yet NBA 2K and Fifa continue to improve year after year...
give this man a cigar

# 91 bigbuddah180 @ 07/08/11 05:02 PM
Quote:
We knew to an extent. As in online wouldn't match offline. We also were told that they didn't want to discuss it much with us because there was still some hope that they would be able to implement some of the features. Obviously that is why they didn't announce it with the offline franchise updates.

While the news is very disappointing, I seriously doubt it will over shadow the reveal on the 25th.
the reveal on the 25th means nothing now..period

# 92 dretayla @ 07/08/11 05:04 PM
***steps out of lurkdom***

I was going to refrain from commenting... mainly, b/c at this point it feels somewhat helpless to do so...

However, if the most my post will do is add to this thread... the number of Madden players who feel letdown with this news... then it's done it's job.

After reading several peoples opinions...

Here's my stance...

1. If you don't play online franchise or franchise in general... please refrain from adding your two cents about "not giving a damn..." ...when Superstar mode, online co-op mode, etc... were what you banged the drum for... we supported that cause. Support ours.

2. I've always shook my head at Madden's "attract more users with easier gameplay" marketing the past few years... This is the same game that began with Madden stating if it didn't have 11 v 11... he wasn't signing up for it. Watering down the game isn't what made it famous... Being sim did. Thus, to that point... having the same lackluster... PlaySkool-toy like FA, Draft & Trading deal off-season for the past 3 years is pathetic.

3. "tight schedule of an annual development cycle" - This is complete BS... My occupation is a Process Improvement (PI) consultant... I've worked with several companies auditing their coding life-cycles. When you're the ONLY video game for the BIGGEST sport in the WEALTHIEST nation... You make time. Even if this "tight schedule" is a reality... EASPORTS has the means to throw more resources at this and get the job done. If small code teams in DC can implement major infrastructure changes that impact the SEC (aka how Wall Street operates...) Surely, EASPORTS can get some coders to solely focus on replicating offline franchise to online franchise. Especially, when there's a damn case study in the same umbrella... see: NCAA Dynasty.

4. Can we please stop touting the new gameplay updates at as "features"... these things are called "bug fixes" people. Whenever a product is doing something it shouldn't do or unexpected, it is called a "bug". When you address those bugs ("suction blocking")... they are fixes... Not gameplay "enhancements".

5. Lastly... a message from 30+ crew... Look... Most of us grew up playing Madden... in elementary & middle school... our friends came over and we played hours on end in Madden 93/94/95... etc. Then we went to HS... we still played... just not as long and more independently. Went to college and it was back to the middle lifestyle (lol)... hours on end... with friends over sharing an "offline" franchise. Now... we're older... some have kids... some have wives... some just plain ole have jobs to worry about. The few moments we have to enjoy our friends is via Xbox Live... and it would be nice if we talk smack during the work day... or haggle each other over trades and draft position much like we do with fantasy football. And that's why myself and others are disappointed... True... it may not matter b/c it doesn't impact the game directly... However, Madden appears to be overlooking the indirect impact... The hours people can be talking about the game... while away from the game. Trades... FA... Division winners... Salary Cap... all good stuff away from the game is what is being left out.

...it seems the only folks "Ok" with this news is folks who could care less about the mode... and the "leaguemanager" folks... and quite frankly... I don't have time to learn and maintain that leaguemanager mess... along with my NCAA Dynasty...

I can only choose one... NCAA 12 Dynasty... it is... again.

Thanks.

***Back to Lurkdom***

EDIT: League Manager was unfairly tarnished in my rant... I, however, left it in... mainly, to portray my general disgust with the news of no updates to online franchise. ;-)

# 93 bigbuddah180 @ 07/08/11 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I feel for the OF folks about not recieving any upgrades. Same thing happened last year with Offline FM.

At the very least, they are being honest and upfront about both. They came through with Offline Franchise this year like they said they would. I wouldn't see any different with OF for next year.

I think what may have happened is when Roy Harvey came over from NCAA, he might have said, "we can do better than that."

Would you like it if OF offered a few options that were half-baked or do you want a fully optimized OF under the direction of Roy Harvey?

I'm glad they waited the extra year for offline franchise, hopefully the same holds true for online franchise next year.
running out of time shouldnt be allowed to be considered an excuses. roy harvey shouldnt be looked at as the savior either. if its not a complete game dont put it out straight up. just another sign that EA is lazy and takes advantage of being the only game in town. this is the most ive ever heard of ppl being ok with offline franchise mode. who plays a game to play the cpu only? shooters are different as far as story mode goes. this is a sports game. player vs player the same thing 3 years in a row shouldnt be ok with anyone who knows where apf 2k8 was 4 years ago to this madden right now. they are behind and stay behind cause they "run out of time"

# 94 bigbuddah180 @ 07/08/11 05:11 PM
Quote:
Why do you say that?
what are they going to announce? OF was the biggest thing they had going for them as far as a "REVEAL". running out of time is not a reveal. its an excuse. only thing they can reveal is no more dc's. ahaha and we all know thats not gonna happen so its pointless.

# 95 dretayla @ 07/08/11 05:14 PM
Quote:
Too busy to push one button to update all your stats? Its faster than booting you PS3/Xbox lol
Lol... I'm up for learning new tricks...

I scoured the FAQs and other sources... to see how it was done... couldn't find anything directly. Maybe it's b/c its that simple.

I'd love to see a how-to... so I can take advantage of this.

# 96 bigbuddah180 @ 07/08/11 05:16 PM
Quote:
Because not everyone plays online... i understand that you and your circle of friends play online only but the ration to online and offline for Madden is about even.
how can u get those stats? you know who plays online because its....online. and by your stance your saying screw the online guys? so sad..they shouldnt be screwing anyone being the only nfl football game out.

# 97 HHHBigFan @ 07/08/11 05:22 PM
This honestly went from day one purchase to never purchasing

Online Franchise is the only thing I play on Madden and they don't even touch it?

Yeah, no thanks.

# 98 dretayla @ 07/08/11 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I just have to highlight this part again. Attention EA sports executives and marketing people This right here is exactly why the M/O of intentionally leaving the game incomplete to keep the masses coming back the following year does not work. People skip and don't come back.
Exactly...

Last year... was the 1st year, I've ever returned Madden back within the launch month... and I've played Madden each year since 92.

Now, I may not even buy they game... and stick with NCAA 12.

I think the gameplay looks great (well, better than last years, I'll say)... but it won't do me much good if I'm unable to sucker one of my friends into trading McNabb for one of their 2nd round picks.

# 99 bigbuddah180 @ 07/08/11 05:26 PM
Quote:
Where did you see that in my post? Are you just making that up or did you misread it? Please go back and re-read my post you are referring to because online franchise is the only game mode I play on a consistent basis... I'm fairly certain it says that in there.
that whole last page u did not say that...and if that is the case then y do u defend it. your statement about the ration for online players to offline players makes u come off like ur ok with EA screwing online players over. am i wrong..u typed it right?

# 100 mojo6911 @ 07/08/11 05:26 PM
Ok, so a 1 man show can reverse engineer a solution for online franchise owners, but EA can't build it from the ground up in 3 years? They couldn't throw 60k at the problem and hire a competent programmer to only focus on this aspect for a year? They couldn't at least give us what we had 7 years ago on 2k5 with realistic stats, trades, and salary cap?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.