Home
UFC Undisputed 3 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The UFC Undisputed 3 demo is available now for 360, later today for PS3.

*UPDATE: The demo is now available for PS3 users.

Play a few matches and post your impressions here. If you are away from your 360, you can queue it up right here.

As posted yesterday, the UFC Undisputed 3 demo roster includes Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones and legend Anderson Silva, from the UFC side, while Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Wanderlei Silva, are available on the Pride FC side.

HOW TO DOWNLOAD THE DEMO
You may also see the demo promoted on storefront banners within XBOX Live Marketplace and the Playstation Store.

XBOX 360:
PLEASE NOTE - The UFC 3 demo is exclusive to XBOX Gold Members for the first 7 days (this is standard). It will be free to everyone after this period. There are many Gold trial options available if you are not a Gold member.

Hit Guide Button
Scroll to "Games" tab
Select "Demo"
Select "Search"
Scroll to "U"
Select "UFC 3" and download
PS3 (free to everyone):

PLAYSTATION 3:

Select "PlayStation Store"
Select "Demos"
Select "UFC 3" and download

Game: UFC Undisputed 3Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
UFC Undisputed 3 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
What makes you say this?
As popular as MMA is, the hardcore fans are still a small minority. Most people want the rock em sock em robots version of this game. This is probably the most frustrating thing for most OSers to understand.

I have a group of friends who come over to my house and watch most UFC events. All of them are knowledgable about the sport and love it. However, when they play Undisputed, they could care less about many of the things we complain about (Over Agressive AI, Constant reversals, The Rule of 3).

The best that we can hope for is that THQ gives us sliders or allows us to edit fighters in the future so that we can make the game a simulation.

# 162 TheShizNo1 @ 01/26/12 11:43 AM
Finally played it last night. A lot of your guys impressions were spot on. I wish they would have kept the ground game like '09. Having someone on the ground felt totally dominant if you knew what you were doing. Now, it feels like only a matter of time before they get up or reverse you.

I hate how they come out aggressive. But like his they back off if you take it to them. Looks like I'm buying.

# 163 TheShizNo1 @ 01/26/12 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
As popular as MMA is, the hardcore fans are still a small minority. Most people want the rock em sock em robots version of this game. This is probably the most frustrating thing for most OSers to understand.

I have a group of friends who come over to my house and watch most UFC events. All of them are knowledgable about the sport and love it. However, when they play Undisputed, they could care less about many of the things we complain about (Over Agressive AI, Constant reversals, The Rule of 3).

The best that we can hope for is that THQ gives us sliders or allows us to edit fighters in the future so that we can make the game a simulation.
2009. When me and my friends first started playing it, we played it like a fighting game. Head kicks and hooks. I found my way to this section of OS and learned how to play it. Once I utilized the ground game and guys didn't know how to transition, they no longer wanted to play anymore and said I played like a bitch. They thought 2010 was better. Idiots.

# 164 jeremym480 @ 01/26/12 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Finally played it last night. A lot of your guys impressions were spot on. I wish they would have kept the ground game like '09. Having someone on the ground felt totally dominant if you knew what you were doing. Now, it feels like only a matter of time before they get up or reverse you.

I hate how they come out aggressive. But like his they back off if you take it to them. Looks like I'm buying.
I agree the ground game in 09 was perfect. I remember in my WW career if Matt Hughes ever got on top of me I was done for. Now I can either easily kick him off after three quick flicks of the stick or set some sort of house rule to neuter myself. I'd love to see them patch this, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

# 165 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
2009. When me and my friends first started playing it, we played it like a fighting game. Head kicks and hooks. I found my way to this section of OS and learned how to play it. Once I utilized the ground game and guys didn't know how to transition, they no longer wanted to play anymore and said I played like a bitch. They thought 2010 was better. Idiots.
Exactly. We want realism but the masses dont. The masses always win.

# 166 Money99 @ 01/26/12 11:52 AM
Quote:

Great points.
Perhaps this is a discussion for a different thread, but all of this can be said for every sports game.
I know lots of guys that love various sports and know what they're talking about.
Yet when they play a baseball game they want 18 home-runs. If we're playing NHL12 we want 12 goals, etc.
Part of me believes it's because deep down, we all want uber-offensive sports.
Who doesn't love a slugfest in MMA or boxing? I've never heard anyone complain that they just saw too many HR's, TD's or goals.

So in video game land, a majority of people want to satisfy that inner-kid that adores offensive sporting events.

# 167 TheShizNo1 @ 01/26/12 11:55 AM
That's what you'd think an arcade/simulation setting would be for. Also, sliders would take care of a lot.

# 168 allBthere @ 01/26/12 12:27 PM
Quote:

I hear what you're saying, but with games like nba2k - you can give the masses a simulation game and they will still play it (and love it).

For example, what would the negative impact be if it was VERY sim? People lose vs the CPU? Just lower the difficulty or make default easy.

Online? A different crop would be winning a with better strategy. Who would complain about that? People that mindlessly mash barely would win online anyway regardless of the game's sim/arcade status.

So I don't agree with you there - I don't think the masses know what they want, but when given a great game really enjoy it (skyrim). I think executives who assume that stuff about the masses shoot themselves in the foot and would do much better setting out to make the best game they possibly can and forget the masses.

# 169 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I hear what you're saying, but with games like nba2k - you can give the masses a simulation game and they will still play it (and love it).

For example, what would the negative impact be if it was VERY sim? People lose vs the CPU? Just lower the difficulty or make default easy.

Online? A different crop would be winning a with better strategy. Who would complain about that? People that mindlessly mash barely would win online anyway regardless of the game's sim/arcade status.

So I don't agree with you there - I don't think the masses know what they want, but when given a great game really enjoy it (skyrim). I think executives who assume that stuff about the masses shoot themselves in the foot and would do much better setting out to make the best game they possibly can and forget the masses.
I love NBA2k12. Play it a ton but its not even close to a simulation at default. Its a great simulation after slider and roster tweaks. Those same friends I mentioned before...love NBA 2k12 with no slider tweaks. They hate playing on my system because I have the sliders tweaked and you cant throw oops when ever you want. You actually have to play the game realistically and they hate it. Now these are also guys who are big NBA fans and who own Wizards season tickets.

If UFC3 was sim on default, the masses would complain constantly. To be truly sim, you would have to have some CPU controlled fighters who do nothing but lay and pray, cage clinch and you would have to significantly lower the strike accuracy. You are asking fans to enjoy a game where fighters miss strikes and spend the majority of the time on the ground (the part of MMA most casual fans hate).

# 170 mgoblue @ 01/26/12 01:28 PM
Quote:
I love NBA2k12. Play it a ton but its not even close to a simulation at default. Its a great simulation after slider and roster tweaks. Those same friends I mentioned before...love NBA 2k12 with no slider tweaks. They hate playing on my system because I have the sliders tweaked and you cant throw oops when ever you want. You actually have to play the game realistically and they hate it. Now these are also guys who are big NBA fans and who own Wizards season tickets.

If UFC3 was sim on default, the masses would complain constantly. To be truly sim, you would have to have some CPU controlled fighters who do nothing but lay and pray, cage clinch and you would have to significantly lower the strike accuracy. You are asking fans to enjoy a game where fighters miss strikes and spend the majority of the time on the ground (the part of MMA most casual fans hate).
Yep...it's like Madden. I set it up to be realistic, my GF's niece loves running up the score on the CPU.

Pure simulation sports games won't sell...that's why devs try and give us the ability to change it, but it'll never be pure sim.

# 171 2k10Fonzarelli @ 01/26/12 01:58 PM
Great stuff so far. Sim setting is what this game has required for ages. Love Playing Sim on Pride rules as the AI is a relatively fair challenge(aside from auto reversals ect).

Since they`ve done away with the shine, how do you defend takedowns after they`ve been initiated? I've had success doing the shine, holding away from the takedown and doing nothing.

So what determines a successful takedown if you miss the counter from standing?

# 172 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
Great stuff so far. Sim setting is what this game has required for ages. Love Playing Sim on Pride rules as the AI is a relatively fair challenge(aside from auto reversals ect).

Since they`ve done away with the shine, how do you defend takedowns after they`ve been initiated? I've had success doing the shine, holding away from the takedown and doing nothing.

So what determines a successful takedown if you miss the counter from standing?
The shine is still in for takedowns. To defend takedowns you move the left stick away from the takedown.

# 173 DaveDQ @ 01/26/12 02:13 PM
I did a test on the highest difficulty with CPU vs CPU, Jones vs Silva...UFC.

I felt they were very aggressive. Jones threw 27 punches, 19 Kicks and went for 5 takedowns. Silva threw 43 punches, 14 kicks and had 0 takedown attempts. Jones had 23 transition attempts, Silva had 6.

Jones stamina was at 84%, Silva at 74%.

For one round of fighting, 74% energy is really low. I even think 84% is pushing it, but they fought very aggressively.

# 174 Jukeman @ 01/26/12 04:41 PM
If Im not mistaken but wasnt UFC 2010 str8 up arcade/rock em sock em compared to UFC 09?

We've already seen how the fans reacted to that...

Sent from my HumancentiPad using Tapatalk

# 175 Phobia @ 01/26/12 04:52 PM
My stance on this whole "hardcore" vs "Masses" thing is like this.

1) Suits need to stay out of the design process! Either a development team hits a home run with trying something new OR they fail and are forced to look for new jobs. Either way, it should come down strictly to the people designing the game to create it how THEY want, not how some corporate executive "THINKS" it should be.

2) People like simulation, to think other wise is to sweep several strong franchises under the rug and ignore all the awards and recognition they have received BECAUSE they are more realistic. The Show and NBA2k are great examples. Games that are more arcade based don't do as well and don't get critical praise as often. People want what they see on TV.

3) I personally think you make a sport title as realistic as possible and it will sell off the charts. Why does NFL2k5 have a cult following after 8 years? Why is The Show franchise the all time sport game to beat? Why has any sport game in creation strive to have all the realistic teams, animations, players, etc etc. Yet suits sell the game short by saying games need to be "arcade" to a degree to appeal to the "masses", WHY create all this amazing realism yet the gameplay suffers???

At some point EA is going to get it and go for pure realism. I think they are already realizing this by how they are trying to reshape the football franchises and the current direction NHL and FIFA are in.

# 176 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
If Im not mistaken but wasnt UFC 2010 str8 up arcade/rock em sock em compared to UFC 09?

We've already seen how the fans reacted to that...

Didnt 2010 sell close to a million copies?

# 177 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
My stance on this whole "hardcore" vs "Masses" thing is like this.

1) Suits need to stay out of the design process! Either a development team hits a home run with trying something new OR they fail and are forced to look for new jobs. Either way, it should come down strictly to the people designing the game to create it how THEY want, not how some corporate executive "THINKS" it should be.

2) People like simulation, to think other wise is to sweep several strong franchises under the rug and ignore all the awards and recognition they have received BECAUSE they are more realistic. The Show and NBA2k are great examples. Games that are more arcade based don't do as well and don't get critical praise as often. People want what they see on TV.

3) I personally think you make a sport title as realistic as possible and it will sell off the charts. Why does NFL2k5 have a cult following after 8 years? Why is The Show franchise the all time sport game to beat? Why has any sport game in creation strive to have all the realistic teams, animations, players, etc etc. Yet suits sell the game short by saying games need to be "arcade" to a degree to appeal to the "masses", WHY create all this amazing realism yet the gameplay suffers???

At some point EA is going to get it and go for pure realism. I think they are already realizing this by how they are trying to reshape the football franchises and the current direction NHL and FIFA are in.
1) I understand your point but sales are the only things that matter. Say the suits stayed out of the development of UFC3 and the developer created a true sim even though past sales (2 arcade MMA games that sold over a million) show thats not the way to go.

So the game comes out and sells 400k (Not bad but a 50% drop from 2010). Not only does the development team lose their jobs.....but so do the suits. ****, there is a chance that THQ isnt even around for a UFC4 if this game flops.

2) Couldnt disagree more. NBA2k is not a sim game at default. Its a sim game after tweaks. Madden has always been an arcade game at default and has always been the highest selling football game (even before the exclusive deal). Fifa is the highest selling sports game and with slider tweaks its an arcade soccer game.

The Show is the only anomaly. I would say w/o slider tweaks its very realistic. With that said, there is more evidence to show that people enjoy arcade games than sim games.

3)NFL2k5 was a very realistic FB game but it took a $20 price point for people to buy that game. Also 2k has a history of making perhaps the most sim sports games. Look at their history though:

Football: Madden always outsold 2k and All Pro Football was a huge flop.

College Hoops: Most realistic college hoops series I've ever played but sales werent good enough to justify paying the NCAA license fee.

NHL: Fans always felt the 2k series was the most realistic series but it still lost out to the EA version.

Basketball: I took EA completely dropping the ball on Next Gen NBA Live for 2k to overtake Live in sales.

After this year, there is a chance that 2k (creator of most sim sports games) will only release one sports game (the NBA series). If fans loved sim sports games, that wouldnt be the case.

# 178 Jukeman @ 01/26/12 05:58 PM
Quote:
Didnt 2010 sell close to a million copies?
Sells numbers > quality

i guess that is why there was no UFC 2011?

Either way, the Demo of UFC 3 is a step back in the right direction and they should really consider sliders for the future.

Sliders for online fight camps or leagues would be awesome.

# 179 aholbert32 @ 01/26/12 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Sells numbers > quality

i guess that is why there was no UFC 2011?

Either way, the Demo of UFC 3 is a step back in the right direction and they should really consider sliders for the future.

Sliders for online fight camps or leagues would be awesome.

There was no 2011 because THQ realized that this series probably couldn't support yearly versions at the sales expectations they had for it.

I liked 2009 as much as anyone but those sales weren't because it was a good game. It came out right during the UFC's boom (Lesnar, Liddell, Rampage, GSP, Penn, Hughes were all relevant) and it was the first decent UFC game ever. Also it was the first UFC game in 4 yrs.

There isn't enough turnover in the UFC to justify a yearly release.

# 180 UltimateUrijah @ 01/26/12 08:10 PM
Holy crap. The clinch game is so powerful! I've been KOing everyone with the Silvas (Wandy & Andy). Thats the most satisfying KO in the game, besides the stomps & soccer kicks IMO. I love rag dolliing my opponent around & smashing his face with knees. Can't wait for the full version!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.