Home
News Post

Sickening. Disgusting. Stomach churning.

The Freeh report on Penn State was released today and revealed a concerted effort not to reveal but to enable child molestation in the Penn State football program. The question now becomes: is getting free tattoos or enabling child rape a more dangerous threat to the NCAA and all it stands for? The NCAA, for it's part, has announced an investigation into Penn State's football program.

So what do you all think? What should be the Penn State football program's fate?

Sound off!

Member Comments
# 121 DonkeyJote @ 07/13/12 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
Do you think that if Penn State's football program wasn't a top 10 program of all-time, that this would have been handled by the men in charge of the university and football program the way that it was?
Absolutely. This could happen anywhere, and not just in sports. Let's say Sabdusky was a tenured Chemistry professor at UC-Berkely. And he happened to be close friends with the head of the College of Sciences. Maybe it gets covered up there too. If that was the case, would people be suggesting that we shut down the science department?

The President of Penn St. didn't help cover this up to win football games. This isn't bad publicity for the team, it's bad for the whole institution. The school and program didn't do the evil things we're talking about, the individuals, who are no longer there and are all going to face their own punishments, did these things. If you're going to shut down football because Paterno didn't say anything, by that logic the entire school should be shut down because no one else said anything either.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

# 122 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
?

The President of Penn St. didn't help cover this up to win football games. This isn't bad publicity for the team, it's bad for the whole institution. The school and program didn't do the evil things we're talking about, the individuals, who are no longer there and are all going to face their own punishments, did these things. If you're going to shut down football because Paterno didn't say anything, by that logic the entire school should be shut down because no one else said anything either.

The bolded part is exactly true. Well said.

# 123 Jr. @ 07/13/12 04:57 PM
Quote:
Absolutely. This could happen anywhere, and not just in sports. Let's say Sabdusky was a tenured Chemistry professor at UC-Berkely. And he happened to be close friends with the head of the College of Sciences. Maybe it gets covered up there too. If that was the case, would people be suggesting that we shut down the science department?

Interesting.. not the answer I was expecting. If you really believe they would have handled everything the same way, then I understand your reasoning.

The logic I'm using is that no one said anything to protect the football program, therefore, that program should be punished. But you're right, if it turns out that all of this was covered up to protect the entire university then the Penn State as a whole should be punished. Again, there is no excuse to let a child predator have access to children on your property if you know what he is doing. If that's the case, the DOE should step in and take away the school's ability to receive Title IV funding and remove it's accreditation.

# 124 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 04:58 PM
Quote:
If they were just trying to protect the university, then why would they seek the advice of the Head Football Coach in how to handle it? The way it seems to me is that this was about protecting the football program first, and the university second.
Paterno was only 25% of the problem. You make it seem like everyone answered to him, which just isn't true.

# 125 DonkeyJote @ 07/13/12 05:00 PM
One other thing. If you're suggesting shutting down the program as a message, and a deterrent, I ask you, is that worse for an individual than jail time? Because the two Administrators are already facing that. And Spainer, in light of the report, could be facing charges of perjury, child endangerment, and conspiracy (and if Paterno were alive, he would be to). So if prison and a ruined legacy isn't enough of a deterrent, what is shutting the program down going to accomplish?

# 126 OSUFan_88 @ 07/13/12 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
The bolded part is exactly true. Well said.
The university is paying for it's crimes eventually. Paying literally.

The university will have several millions of dollars lost due to civil penalties. Which could all be paid by the football team, and that to me is blood money.

# 127 OSUFan_88 @ 07/13/12 05:02 PM
Quote:
One other thing. If you're suggesting shutting down the program as a message, and a deterrent, I ask you, is that worse for an individual than jail time? Because the two Administrators are already facing that. And Spainer, in light of the report, could be facing charges of perjury, child endangerment, and conspiracy (and if Paterno were alive, he would be to). So if prison and a ruined legacy isn't enough of a deterrent, what is shutting the program down going to accomplish?

Getting rid of football would get rid of the culture that created this mess in the first place.

And before we say that it was only four people, it's not true. Assistant coaches, janitors, and maybe others knew about it and did nothing.

# 128 Jr. @ 07/13/12 05:05 PM
Quote:
Paterno was only 25% of the problem. You make it seem like everyone answered to him, which just isn't true.
Not everyone had the same part in this. Spanier et al. were going to the authorities about Sandusky before they spoke with Paterno about it. After that, they changed their plan. That, to me, means that Paterno had more of a role in this than anyone else and that the football program was at the root of why this was concealed.

# 129 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 05:11 PM
Quote:
Not everyone had the same part in this. Spanier et al. were going to the authorities about Sandusky before they spoke with Paterno about it. After that, they changed their plan. That, to me, means that Paterno had more of a role in this than anyone else and that the football program was at the root of why this was concealed.
Yeah, but that's more of a guess than anything. I haven't read the entire report, but if you are referring to the emails that's not enough proof. I don't really think the emails are good evidence, as we don't know what Paterno said to Curley.

Also, Joe always had the best interest of the university in mind. He's made many donations to the school. His money helped build the Paterno wing of the library. As someone who has grown up with PSU, the image and well being of the university was the most important to Joe.

# 130 Buckeyes_Doc @ 07/13/12 05:35 PM
Quote:

Also, Joe always had the best interest of the university in mind. He's made many donations to the school. His money helped build the Paterno wing of the library. As someone who has grown up with PSU, the image and well being of the university was the most important to Joe.
This is true, which is unfortunate for the children who were being raped. If only his best interests were in stopping a predator.

# 131 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
This is true, which is unfortunate for the children who were being raped. If only his best interests were in stopping a predator.
Agreed.

10char

# 132 DonkeyJote @ 07/13/12 05:40 PM
Quote:
Interesting.. not the answer I was expecting. If you really believe they would have handled everything the same way, then I understand your reasoning.

The logic I'm using is that no one said anything to protect the football program, therefore, that program should be punished. But you're right, if it turns out that all of this was covered up to protect the entire university then the Penn State as a whole should be punished. Again, there is no excuse to let a child predator have access to children on your property if you know what he is doing. If that's the case, the DOE should step in and take away the school's ability to receive Title IV funding and remove it's accreditation.
Let me ask you something. Let's say that someone found out your girlfriend/wife was cheating on you. And let's say, because they were afraid of what it would do to you, that person murdered the person with whom your girlfriend/wife was cheating with. When that all came out, should you be held responsible for that act because they did it on your behalf? That person did that act to protect you, so should you be punished?

# 133 DonkeyJote @ 07/13/12 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Getting rid of football would get rid of the culture that created this mess in the first place.
The culture that created this mess? You mean the culture that a public image is an extremely important thing and needs to be protected? You mean the culture that exists in every single other athletic program in the country? So we should just go ahead and shut down every football program. And men and women's basketball while we're at it. This culture exists in professional sports as well, so shut those down too. In fact it exists in colleges and universities as well. Shut them down too. And most major corporations. Public image is everything to them. Shut them down to.

The culture isn't the problem. That same exact culture exists all over the world, in sports, business, government, military, and education. But acts such as these, cover ups to protect a predator for fear of a public backlash, don't happen like this. This didn't happen because of a culture, it happened because these men who were more concerned for their own legacies and images and that of Penn State University than they were for the well being of children made the decision to cover this up.

The ironic thing is you want to shut down the program supposedly to stop "the culture," when in reality, at this point, this sort of thing is probably less likely to happen again at Penn State than at any other University in the county. Do you really believe that if the program isn't shut down, and someone else does anything remotely similar to what Jerry Sandusky did, it won't be immediately and swiftly handled and reported by Penn State? Penn State would probably be more sensitive to anything of this nature than anyone at this point, and for a very, very long time.

# 134 Super Glock @ 07/13/12 06:29 PM
5 yr ban from paying a football game and 5 yr probation period after that. Also rip the Paterno statue down. The man is a compete joke. Cared more about his legacy and football program. What a pridefull and disgraceful man!!!

# 135 MizzouBravesFan @ 07/13/12 07:06 PM
I will simply copy and paste from the other thread....

Death Penalty time...plain and simple...

The reason this entire coverup took place and was swept under the rug for years was because of football...period...end of discussion...you'll never convince me otherwise.

All those idiots knew what a scandal like this would do to recruiting, Paterno AND Penn St.'s stature and they would lose a huge leg in what was becoming a heavy duty arms race in the Big Ten with Ohio St. and Michigan to be dominant.

There's just simply no other reason why this would take place and why Paterno would be a part of it if football wasn't the main focus...it's sickening.

The NCAA needs to carpet bomb that program to show that this should NEVER happen and will not be tolerated under any circumstances...will there be collateral damage? Sure...but that's the way it is, ask SMU, USC, Miami, etc. The message has to be sent.

Also I'm shocked and appalled that the statue of Paterno is still standing...with every passing second it still stands, my respect level for Penn St. drops and rapidly.

# 136 MizzouBravesFan @ 07/13/12 07:07 PM
Also can we stop with this stupid "they covered it up for the University's sake...not the football program" nonsense...

Yes they were trying to protect women's field hockey, the band, men's soccer, the track and field team, etc.

Get the hell outta here with that...

# 137 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBravesFan
Also can we stop with this stupid "they covered it up for the University's sake...not the football program" nonsense...

Yes they were trying to protect women's field hockey, the band, men's soccer, the track and field team, etc.

Get the hell outta here with that...
????

They were trying to protect the ENTIRE UNIVERSITY'S REPUTATION. Which is more than just football or any of the things you listed. PSU has always been a very good academic and renowned school. That's the reputation they were trying to protect. There's more to PSU than football/sports, guys.

# 138 Cusefan @ 07/13/12 07:23 PM
Quote:
Yeah, but that's more of a guess than anything. I haven't read the entire report, but if you are referring to the emails that's not enough proof. I don't really think the emails are good evidence, as we don't know what Paterno said to Curley.

Having read the excerpts on CNN, it seemed very clear that Paterno was the mastermind behind the coverup. To be honest, you sound like Jay Paterno right now. The Investigator who PSU hired said he is dirty so that alone means he is Dirty, Louis Freeh also has earned my respect and admiration through a lifetime of civil Service at one of the highest positions possible.

I have no doubt that Paterno was looking out for Penn St, but I also believe he was looking out for Sandusky. All of this doesn't really matter, at the end of the day, Paterno still took the side of a pedophile.

# 139 letsgopens66 @ 07/13/12 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Having read the excerpts on CNN, it seemed very clear that Paterno was the mastermind behind the coverup. To be honest, you sound like Jay Paterno right now. The Investigator who PSU hired said he is dirty so that alone means he is Dirty, Louis Freeh also has earned my respect and admiration through a lifetime of civil Service at one of the highest positions possible.

I have no doubt that Paterno was looking out for Penn St, but I also believe he was looking out for Sandusky. All of this doesn't really matter, at the end of the day, Paterno still took the side of a pedophile.
I wasn't trying to defend Paterno at all. I'm not on his side. I was just saying that Paterno knew more was at stake than just football.

# 140 MizzouBravesFan @ 07/13/12 07:28 PM
Quote:
????

They were trying to protect the ENTIRE UNIVERSITY'S REPUTATION. Which is more than just football or any of the things you listed. PSU has always been a very good academic and renowned school. That's the reputation they were trying to protect. There's more to PSU than football/sports, guys.
No...it's not.

Football is the revenue generator, the cash cow, it IS the university at almost everywhere now...there's no disputing that.

Do you really believe Paterno would've been so gung ho to defend, cover up, and lie about the same scandal if it were an assistant on the baseball coaching staff...or on the track and field team?

Let's not be naive here...

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.