Home
NHL 13 News Post

EA Sports has changed the way players are rated in NHL 13. This year, they are rated on a player's overall skill, based on their position.

NHL 13 Player Ratings

Top 5 Forwards
  • Pavel Datsyuk (93)
  • Sidney Crosby (94)
  • Alex Ovechkin (93)
  • Steven Stamkos (91)
  • Evgeni Malkin (91)
Top 5 Defensemen
  • Zdeno Chara (91)
  • Shea Weber (90)
  • Kris Letang (90)
  • Duncan Keith (90)
  • Ryan Suter (88)
Top 5 Goalies
  • Ryan Miller (91)
  • Henrik Lundqvist (91)
  • Jonathan Quick (90)
  • Carey Price (90)
  • Roberto Luongo (89)
  • Pekka Rinne (89)
Puck Daddy's Sean Leahy has posted more NHL 13 details and full player ratings for some of the top rated forwards, defensemen and goalies in the game. He will provide full player ratings tomorrow.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 thedudedominick @ 08/14/12 10:42 AM
Really? Crosby 95 defensive awareness and Datsyuk 93?

# 2 Pezell04x @ 08/14/12 10:44 AM
Miller as the highest rated goalie is a farce.

Instead of the higher ones, I'd rather see them show us some of the lower rated guys. Last year, the ratings were so close that a few seasons into Be A GM, you had 80+ guys sitting free agency because almost everyone was above an 80. It would be nice to see those spread out this year. Someone like Shawn Thornton, who I love dearly, shouldn't be anywhere close to an 80. More like a 69.

# 3 Broncos86 @ 08/14/12 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezell04x
Miller as the highest rated goalie is a farce.

Instead of the higher ones, I'd rather see them show us some of the lower rated guys. Last year, the ratings were so close that a few seasons into Be A GM, you had 80+ guys sitting free agency because almost everyone was above an 80. It would be nice to see those spread out this year. Someone like Shawn Thornton, who I love dearly, shouldn't be anywhere close to an 80. More like a 69.
Yes, but, read the article and it explains why:

Quote:
How are the NHL 13 player ratings different from NHL 12?

EA: Last year, overall ratings reflected a player's effectiveness based on their player type (ex. Sniper, Enforcer, Grinder, etc.). NHL 13 Overall ratings are based on a player's overall skill based on their position.

Why the change?

EA: It was a fan-requested change that ensured that overall ratings were more representative of a players skill level in real life. A players who is 90+ will feel drastically different than one who is rated 65.
Examples: NHL 12 Parros was an 81 as his rating was based on his player type — enforcer, meaning that he was an above average enforcer. In NHL 13 Parros is an 69 overall based on his skill level as a forward. Chris Neil was an 82 (Grinder) last year, this year he's a 78. With this new overall ratings system, his rating didn't drop as significantly as Parros because he's still a skilled player who can check and score effectively.

# 4 Simple Mathematics @ 08/14/12 11:14 AM
Miller shouldn't be the top rated goalie. He shouldn't even be in the top 5. The top 5 goalies should be:

1. Henrik Lundqvist
2. Jonathan Quick
3. Pekka Rinne
4. Mike Smith
5. Brian Elliott/Jaroslav Halak

# 5 letsgopens66 @ 08/14/12 11:28 AM
There will always be complaining about ratings (Ovi a 93 and Malkin a 91?), but at least there's more separation between players.

# 6 Money99 @ 08/14/12 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
There will always be complaining about ratings (Ovi a 93 and Malkin a 91?), but at least there's more separation between players.
Bingo!

Debating superstar to superstar ratings is one thing, just as long as the scrubs aren't even in the same stratosphere as the stars.

# 7 bad_philanthropy @ 08/14/12 12:34 PM
I hope drafted players/prospects progress along a distribution consistent with this new rating standard

# 8 Al_Tito13 @ 08/14/12 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
NHL 13 Player Ratings

Top 5 Forwards
  • Pavel Datsyuk (93)
  • Sidney Crosby (94)
  • Alex Ovechkin (93)
  • Steven Stamkos (91)
  • Evgeni Malkin (91)
Top 5 Defensemen
  • Zdeno Chara (91)
  • Shea Weber (90)
  • Kris Letang (90)
  • Duncan Keith (90)
  • Ryan Suter (88)
Top 5 Goalies
  • Ryan Miller (91)
  • Henrik Lundqvist (91)
  • Jonathan Quick (90)
  • Carey Price (90)
  • Roberto Luongo (89)
  • Pekka Rinne (89)
Thanks a lot for sharing the ratings with us, really appreciated. By the way, it's not a big deal, but if I understand the article correctly, Datsyuk and Crosby are both 95 and Miller is 92. The ratings you are showing for these players are the ones from last year.

# 9 MostlyChilly @ 08/14/12 01:16 PM
Off topic, but the menus are really sharp this year.

# 10 JamieLeeWV @ 08/14/12 02:18 PM
Anyone know what ratings brodeur and kovalchuk are? Will find out from the demo but if anyone knows now would be great!

Would imagine Marty should be a solid 85/86? And kovy probably an 89 or 90

# 11 Vikes1 @ 08/14/12 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Bingo!

Debating superstar to superstar ratings is one thing, just as long as the scrubs aren't even in the same stratosphere as the stars.
I couldn't agree more, Money.

I hope with the new ratings system, that it's effect is far reaching. Meaning there's all kinds of players who's ratings have been adjusted....down.

But anyway...it's just good to know EAC is addressing this. And listened to the community. Very glad for that.

# 12 Luke466 @ 08/14/12 03:12 PM
Glad to see the difference in ratings. I'm not sold on their explanation though. By their reason, if Parros was the toughest player (based on his role, position) would he have not been in the 90s overall? There must have been consideration on their overall skill.
Or maybe the TGH roles never peaked past 81

# 13 gator3guy @ 08/14/12 03:27 PM
Crosby gets 95 defensive awareness and Chara only has 90. That seems right. Looks like EA's just trying to boost Sidney's overall for cosmetic purposes.

One thing I hate about EA's ratings is they round them off. Most of the ratings they give out end in a '5' or a '0'. For example, they gave Chara 95 Slap shot power. He should have 99, but for arguments sake they don't want to give out 99 ratings to everyone, so why not 97 or 98??? I don't get it.

# 14 Nickflyers @ 08/14/12 04:09 PM
As long as we can feel the difference between players.

# 15 Matthewkyleyoung @ 08/14/12 05:35 PM
These new ratings are great, if they make a larger difference between average and great players only. Show us a true difference between a guy like Malkin and a guy like Gomez. Thats the only way these ratings matter. Recently, that hasn't been true at all.

# 16 kingspore @ 08/14/12 05:39 PM
Can't believe Giroux isn't one of the top 5 rated forwards seeing as he is the coverboy...

I'd imagine he is at worst 8th.

# 17 brianski71 @ 08/14/12 06:44 PM
Wow....these are pretty terrible. Does EA even watch the awards show to see which players were voted best at what they do? How is Malkin, the Hart winner only the 4th best forward? How can Karlsson win the Norris and not even crack the top 5 defensemen? Miller as the best goalie? LOL. These are beyond embarrassing...

# 18 AC @ 08/14/12 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianski71
Wow....these are pretty terrible. Does EA even watch the awards show to see which players were voted best at what they do? How is Malkin, the Hart winner only the 4th best forward? How can Karlsson win the Norris and not even crack the top 5 defensemen? Miller as the best goalie? LOL. These are beyond embarrassing...
Probably because award shows are completely ridiculous....

# 19 Gagnon39 @ 08/14/12 07:57 PM
I really couldn't care less about how the players are rated, I never really had a problem with that. The issue for me has always been how the teams are rated. There is not enough distinction between good and bad teams in previous NHL games. That's why the standings are often out of whack (the Islanders being a 1 or 2 seed and the Wings missing the playoffs for example).

# 20 AC @ 08/14/12 08:04 PM
Plus, if you get far enough into GM modes, teams are always 100-99-90 or something ridiculous.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.