Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Cardot @ 02/22/13 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Clearly you were right but how does that justify a $60 price tag? Smaller titles are usually released at $40. The people that so buy this game at full price hoping for the best will be pissed.
I agree with you. But I don't have a ton of sympathy for anyone who rushes out and buys it on day 1 expecting big changes from '12. They clearly haven't done any homework.

# 62 Cardot @ 02/22/13 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBGeek
What I have noticed from supporters of MLB 2k is they are trying so hard to find things to like about this game.
LOL, actually some of us just enjoy the game. It's not perfect, and I know there is a very popular PS3 baseball game. But I still have fun with it. I am perplexed why this bothers people, especially when there is so much else to talk about in the other forum right now.

# 63 Picci @ 02/22/13 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
Maybe should worry more about the people who bought and enjoyed the game more than those that show up in the 2K baseball forum annually to heap scorn on a game they have no intention of buying.
I think your missing the point. Many of us "baseball gamers" WANT to enjoy other baseball offerings, especially when they're different from the other game(s). We gamers are upset not with the game itself, but with the way 2K offers it to us baseball gamers. Our/My negative attitude is not for the baseball gamers who enjoy this game, but for the 2k team who will hopefully have 1 man/woman hear us.

I want this game to be good. I want competition. I'm not going to sugarcoat this and say "It is, what it is"

# 64 Cardot @ 02/22/13 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
There's a lot of people who don't use forums like this and do their "homework". Buying a video game is not like buying a car.
A two minute internet search would suffice. If they aren't willing to do that, I'm sorry, but I just don't have a ton of sympathy for an ill advised purchase. 15 years ago I might have agreed with you, but these days there are just too many resources.

# 65 CMH @ 02/22/13 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
What a stupid thing to say.
Don't start with this. He stated an opinion and was very fair about it.

# 66 pistolpete @ 02/22/13 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
There's a lot of people who don't use forums like this and do their "homework". Buying a video game is not like buying a car.
If you only came to this website you would think the Show outsold 2k12 20:1.

# 67 CMH @ 02/22/13 04:20 PM
Quote:
If you only came to this website you would think the Show outsold 2k12 20:1.
I believe I just said to not start. What is the point of this post?

Drop it.

# 68 pistolpete @ 02/22/13 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
I believe I just said to not start. What is the point of this post?

Drop it.
My point is what percentage of people who buy 2k baseball visit this website? A puny portion. If the traffic in this particularly forum was any indication at all 2k would sell like 20 copies a year.

# 69 CMH @ 02/22/13 04:27 PM
Quote:
My point is what percentage of people who buy 2k baseball visit this website? A puny portion. If the traffic in this particularly forum was any indication at all 2k would sell like 20 copies a year.
I think the traffic is very complimentary of the sales for the game. I think that's true for a lot of the topics discussed here on OS (from television to video games) so long as it fits the 18-34 demographic.

The Show 12 sold nearly three times the amount of copies 2K sold. I think the activity in The Show forum is more active right now because there's news being released. There are a lot of MLB 2K fans here. You just aren't seeing them because there's very little reason for the more casual ones to get involved.

And we can't fault them. 2K hasn't done much marketing, and there's a very good chance that their sales will tumble some more making the traffic:sales ratio even closer.

# 70 CMH @ 02/22/13 04:46 PM
Quote:
It's such a bad value that I expect it to be selling for $20-$30 with six weeks or so.
This just hit me today and is one reason I'm completely content with waiting on this one, if I decide to purchase it.

# 71 Cardot @ 02/22/13 05:00 PM
Quote:
I look at it as a lucky bone. From the moment it was announced I admitted it would be a bad value for most gamers. It's such a bad value that I expect it to be selling for $20-$30 with six weeks or so.
I agree with the whole post.. For anyone who purchased '12, hopefully they are going in with realistic expectations. And for anyone who didn't get the game the last few years, the $60 might actually be worth it?

# 72 areobee401 @ 02/22/13 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I agree with the whole post.. For anyone who purchased '12, hopefully they are going in with realistic expectations. And for anyone who didn't get the game the last few years, the $60 might actually be worth it?
I believe so. Last year's game was my first 2k baseball game since 2k9. Purchased the 2k combo pack for $70 and felt I got my money's worth. Heck, I barely even touched the NBA game.

This year I'm waiting for a price drop. Nothing we've seen or been told justifies a $60 price tag after having already owned 12 IMO.

Hoping to be able to grab the game for around $30 when I start getting the itch to play a baseball video game.

# 73 rudyjuly2 @ 02/22/13 05:22 PM
Quote:
You are the one missing the point. 2K essentially admitted they failed to provide gamers the baseball game they wanted, and killed the series. MLB came back and asked them to release one more game in order to have an MLB game on the shelf for the 360.
This is pure speculation to imply it was that one sided. 2K said they wouldn't make any more games under the old license deal which cost them money. If 2K felt they wouldn't make money this year they wouldn't be putting out 2K13 no matter what MLB wanted. There had to be mutual interest in releasing a baseball game on the 360 - 2K makes money and baseball still provides a video game for their young fans.

2K HAS put resources into this game. They are putting up $1 million in their Perfect Game challenge, money spent on hiring a bunch of athletes like David Price for their cover and commercials, etc. I think it is very fair to wonder if they have allocated these resources properly. Stop making 2K out to be a martyr in this thread. They are a business whose sole interest is in taking our money.

# 74 seriousluboy83 @ 02/22/13 05:59 PM
Anyone else notice the different sounds of contact (ball 2 bat) throughout the video? Sounds different from 2k12 IMO.

# 75 CMH @ 02/22/13 06:08 PM
Quote:
I don't believe this is true. According to Vgchartz, The Show 12 outsold MLB 2K12 860K to 680K. Even if we limit 2K's numbers to just the 360, they still sold 450K, which is still more than half of The Show's totals.

Hmm, I saw very different numbers. I saw 900k compared to 400k. But maybe I can't read. I'll take your word for it.

Sent from my mobile device.

# 76 Cardot @ 02/22/13 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
2K HAS put resources into this game. They are putting up $1 million in their Perfect Game challenge, money spent on hiring a bunch of athletes like David Price for their cover and commercials, etc. I think it is very fair to wonder if they have allocated these resources properly. Stop making 2K out to be a martyr in this thread. They are a business whose sole interest is in taking our money.
Good points Rudy. I had forgotten about the Million Dollar challenge. That might account for the $60? Get full price from the folks going for prize money (which is obviously their target audience), and probably a price drop once that is over?

# 77 Mauer4MVP @ 02/22/13 09:28 PM
Pleasantly shocked at the trailer (that may say more about my expectations than the actual game). The only problem is you can clearly tell it is not worth 60 bucks.

Why not sell it for 40?

I will never understand how sports games sell for as much as a rpg, shooter, etc. and maintain their value a lot longer than games like Mass Effect.

Anyways, just not sure I am willing to spend 60 bucks on an average product, even if I have quite a bit of in-store credit.

# 78 lnin0 @ 02/22/13 10:24 PM
I don't buy the logic that Baseball was so concerned about its 360 presence yet too dumb to realize no other publisher was going to produce a 360 title this gen. Where they hoping Sony might port The Show over? Also, if baseball is that concerned about the 360 - then why wait? Why come begging 2K at the last minute when you knew it was 2K or nothing all along. That doesn't sound like a smart way to negotiate.

I personally don't think 2K was fully intent of leaving this gen. They made a big spectacle of their break up and hoped it would buy them a better hand, but to get real leverage, they had to show baseball they were done. That walking away was a better option.

So, no more patches, no more publicity, no stock holders reports, no more answering emails. I don't think 2K removed everyone from the game but I expect it was treated like a b-rate title. Working almost anonymously without a true deal means they aren't out scouting stadiums or working with MLB assets. But 2K has been at this business long enough to know that is not the stuff you spend your early dev cycles on anyway.

My guess is baseball knew it needed 2K, and 2K knew it needed baseball. Since last March they have been at a stalemate of the license. Holding their breath and waiting for the other to blink first. I don't think it has all been done while the game sat in mothballs. I think the game was being developed while the two fought over a deal and until that deal, nobody heard a word of the game.

# 79 kev13dd @ 02/22/13 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
I don't buy the logic that Baseball was so concerned about its 360 presence yet too dumb to realize no other publisher was going to produce a 360 title this gen. Where they hoping Sony might port The Show over? Also, if baseball is that concerned about the 360 - then why wait? Why come begging 2K at the last minute when you knew it was 2K or nothing all along. That doesn't sound like a smart way to negotiate.

I personally don't think 2K was fully intent of leaving this gen. They made a big spectacle of their break up and hoped it would buy them a better hand, but to get real leverage, they had to show baseball they were done. That walking away was a better option.

So, no more patches, no more publicity, no stock holders reports, no more answering emails. I don't think 2K removed everyone from the game but I expect it was treated like a b-rate title. Working almost anonymously without a true deal means they aren't out scouting stadiums or working with MLB assets. But 2K has been at this business long enough to know that is not the stuff you spend your early dev cycles on anyway.

My guess is baseball knew it needed 2K, and 2K knew it needed baseball. Since last March they have been at a stalemate of the license. Holding their breath and waiting for the other to blink first. I don't think it has all been done while the game sat in mothballs. I think the game was being developed while the two fought over a deal and until that deal, nobody heard a word of the game.
I hoped that too! When it was announced!

Except if you're silent about a game to win a stalemate, you don't STAY silent once you've won it

There is no reason for 2K to not be announcing improvements if they've invested in improvements. Even the flimsy "they don't want to gloat to MLB that they were putting on an act" excuse doesn't work since MLB will see the game once it's released and know if they were played or not

I like your optimism. But that's all it is

K

# 80 Cardot @ 02/23/13 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Why not sell it for 40?
That has been my thought for the last few weeks. And it didn't occur to be until rudy's post a few back, but now it makes sense to me that 2K is putting almost all of their focus on the Million Dollar challenge. Obviously just speculation on my part. But the guys who are buying the game for the $$$ challenge can't wait around for a price drop. And their decision to buy isn't going to hinge on the game details/improvements that us folks on OS care about.

That certainly isn't the strategic direction that I wanted to see them take. But if that is the route they are going, then it makes sense to charge $60 out of the gate, while making minimal changes to the game and even less time promoting the gameplay. Just advertise the challenge.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.