Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Radja @ 02/23/13 01:52 AM
whats funny to me is that every year with various sports franchises, people say if they just upgrade the game play and not worry about new features i will be happy. that may be true for a few guys but to the reviewers and overall public that has never worked.

one of the best examples of this was 2ks versions of 2k3 baseball and the follow up espn mlb. or 2k4 though they never named it that.

2k4 was freaking awesome for its time. it was everything fixed from 2k3 which was a pretty good game by its own rights. however, mvp 2004 came out, (which was a very cleaned up version of the first MVP where catchers would not tag out anybody heading home among its many issues), and espn was pushed aside by the media and the public.

granted mvp was a pretty good game with a huge glitch where lefty's could not hit hrs, but espn was still better. yet, 2k had to revamp its entire game and put out 2k5. one of the glitchiest games of all time. it was super pretty for the old gen and had so many things right. i tried for a couple months to make it work, but eventually had to go with the 05 show and eventually mvp 2005. that game destroyed 2k and then they grabbed the exclusive. they have been chasing the show ever since.

(i loved the 05 show. it is the only baseball game i played every game. it too had a few issues, mostly fielding, but it was more strategic than any console game ever up to that point. very high heat for you older guys. some of its features have never changed to now)

i would hope that 2k12 gets all the improvements it needs. it has promise. i play both the show and 2k. both have things that make them unique and fun. but if 2k wants to really take off they cannot simple put out a bug free improvement. they are going to have to take a chance and invent a new gimmick to get the casual interested. otherwise, they will always lose money.

# 82 jeffy777 @ 02/23/13 03:07 AM
I'm guessing it will be a bit more than a roster update, and there will probably be bug fixes too, but mst likely no new features, yet probably some new bugs. It seems that every time they try to fix something they break something else.

# 83 bkrich83 @ 02/23/13 03:56 AM
I can live with the wonky player models, and even the washed out colors (although they looked better in the trailers) but the squirly fielder animations in particular for some reason drive me insane. They did not appear to be much improved in the trailer. This factored in with 2k's lack of support for the game particularly on the PS3 platform makes it a wait and see purchse. Just can't justify this as a 60 dollar first day type purchase.

# 84 Blzer @ 02/23/13 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radja
whats funny to me is that every year with various sports franchises, people say if they just upgrade the game play and not worry about new features i will be happy. that may be true for a few guys but to the reviewers and overall public that has never worked.
I see this too. I bet you can read dozens of posts from 2K9-2K10, 2K10-2K11, 2K11-2K12, and 2K12-2K13 that say: "Just work out a couple of kinks and I'll be fine."

You know what else I also see a lot? People calling the next version of a game a "half-assed" attempt, so to speak. In other words, they'll call 2K10 "2K9.5," and 2K11 "2K10.5," and 2K12 "2K11.5," etc. But wait, wouldn't 2K12 technically be 2K10.5 if they were all half-assed attempts? At least be consistent.

# 85 Motown @ 02/23/13 11:16 AM
I just can't grasp how they can't seem to make the player models resemble, or even come CLOSE to the player models in NBA 2K...it's just mind bogging.

# 86 Galvatron @ 02/23/13 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
Maybe should worry more about the people who bought and enjoyed the game more than those that show up in the 2K baseball forum annually to heap scorn on a game they have no intention of buying.
Did you even consider the fact that I'm one of those that bought and enjoyed it? I've bought every game in this series this generation, but all you saw in my post was "Show supporter" apparently.

Quote:
You are the one missing the point. 2K essentially admitted they failed to provide gamers the baseball game they wanted, and killed the series. MLB came back and asked them to release one more game in order to have an MLB game on the shelf for the 360.

This is not a release to build good will with gamers. I'd say the odds of a next gen 2K baseball game is beyond slim.

So if the gripe is that the game should not exist, because apparently it is evil for 2K to even release this game, why aren't gamers ignoring it? 2K didn't plan to release the game. If they got their way, we would all be playing 2K12 and living with the fact that, at least on the console, the schedules and alignment would never be right.

I look at it as a lucky bone. From the moment it was announced I admitted it would be a bad value for most gamers. It's such a bad value that I expect it to be selling for $20-$30 with six weeks or so.

But I can't get mad at 2K for refusing to market this game aggressively. If the price offended me, I can do exactly what I would have done if they didn't release it.

There is absolutely nothing to be mad at 2K about. They lost. They fully admit that most sports gamers don't want their game. They don't want to sell it anymore, either. They have marketed it as such.

Hell, you might as well get mad at EA and Konami for not releasing games this year, too. Get mad at SCEA for not releasing The Show for the 360. Get mad at Microsoft for not rebooting High Heat.

But no, the real rage is reserved for the company actually releasing a game that you don't have to buy.
Yeah so you're essentially saying a company that admits that it's game failed to satisfy it's core fanbase and publicly throws in the towel is gonna turn around and release another title with virtually no marketing besides the $$$ challenge, update the roster and slap a $60 price tag on it....and you don't expect to hear complaints? This isn't some no-name indie company, these are the guys that publish GTA, Bioshock, NBA 2K...

And of course people don't have to buy, and if they have no problem paying full retail then great for them, I would never argue that. But to charge a full premium for something that you said yourself is a "lucky bone" for it's supporters, is basically overcharging for something they know isn't a satisfying product for it's price. Not good business IMO, at least for the consumer.

# 87 bkrich83 @ 02/24/13 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
Did you even consider the fact that I'm one of those that bought and enjoyed it? I've bought every game in this series this generation, but all you saw in my post was "Show supporter" apparently.

Yeah so you're essentially saying a company that admits that it's game failed to satisfy it's core fanbase and publicly throws in the towel is gonna turn around and release another title with virtually no marketing besides the $$$ challenge, update the roster and slap a $60 price tag on it....and you don't expect to hear complaints? This isn't some no-name indie company, these are the guys that publish GTA, Bioshock, NBA 2K...

And of course people don't have to buy, and if they have no problem paying full retail then great for them, I would never argue that. But to charge a full premium for something that you said yourself is a "lucky bone" for it's supporters, is basically overcharging for something they know isn't a satisfying product for it's price. Not good business IMO, at least for the consumer.
Agreed. Very well stated.

Gotta love the blind brand loyalty some of our posters have. The lengths they go to defend something is ridiculous. He's one of them.

2k fans also have this weird inferiority complex when it comes to the Show. Not sure why they are so defensive about a company that doesn't care about them in the slightest.

# 88 CMH @ 02/24/13 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
2k fans also have this weird inferiority complex when it comes to the Show. Not sure why they are so defensive about a company that doesn't care about them in the slightest.
That's absolute bs, Bk, and you know it.

Moderating these forums and I can guarantee you the complex is on both sides.

Lets not start this argument once again. Both fans need to relax and cut the crap with defending each of their titles. To single one out because you're seeing past the full court press being made by the other side, is exactly the issue here.

Sent from my mobile device.

# 89 lnin0 @ 02/24/13 02:31 PM
Quote:
Agreed. Very well stated.

Gotta love the blind brand loyalty some of our posters have. The lengths they go to defend something is ridiculous. He's one of them.

Blah blah blah "2K fans" stereotype here. Blah blah blah internet trolls stereotype here. Trailer...what trailer?

# 90 bkrich83 @ 02/24/13 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
That's absolute bs, Bk, and you know it.

Moderating these forums and I can guarantee you the complex is on both sides.

Lets not start this argument once again. Both fans need to relax and cut the crap with defending each of their titles. To single one out because you're seeing past the full court press being made by the other side, is exactly the issue here.

Sent from my mobile device.
It's not BS. Hell same guy went out and created a thread due to such inferiority complex. Why? Why the blind loyalty? 2k doesn't give a damn about their customers and their lack of support over the past several years with this product is just more proof.

I'll never understand the blind fan loyalty. I mean what are we 1 or 2 years removed from a version with no injuries in franchise mode and no errors, that was never patched? 2 years removed from a version where the PS3 version got no patches or support at all? Last year they simply gave up supporting several of their online features in the middle of the season. Now it appears they are charging full price for this game?

It is what it is I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Blah blah blah "2K fans" stereotype here. Blah blah blah internet trolls stereotype here. Trailer...what trailer?
It's not trolling when it's true and blatantly obvious.

# 91 bkrich83 @ 02/24/13 09:53 PM
Quote:
You must have quite the inferiority complex to care about what I write so much.

Let's see if we can find a post from you talking about playing the game instead of how it doesn't compare to your deity.

I love how I'm the blind loyalist, despite stating that this game was a roster update and a bad value for most gamers, yet you feel the need to right the wrongs of your one true love in a forum you have no interest in.

I'm not sure how much more fair I can be about 2K baseball. I've talked about the problems it has over and over. I just don't feel the need to worship their failings like some do. But since I find the gameplay of The Show lacking in any soul, I must be an idiot and worthy of your personal attacks.

Heaven forbid someone have a different opinion!
There were no personal attacks.

There are plenty of posts dating back to MLB2k7 and before about playing the game. I buy every baseball game, play them all. I've had more than one franchise in the franchise section of the forum dating back to 2k7 with 2k versions of baseball. Haven't had as much fun with the last couple of versions so I've played it less, and have posted about it less.

Having more than one game out there is good for the consumer, I love having choices, and while I currently prefer the show, (still play 2k) if 2k made a game that was better for me than Sony, I'd play it more, and say it was better than The Show.

I guess I touched a nerve with you, I just don't get the complex is all. At the end of the day, it's a video game.

# 92 bkrich83 @ 02/24/13 10:01 PM
Quote:
Of course it did. That was what you were trying to do.
Thanks for proving my initial point.

# 93 woz411 @ 02/24/13 10:01 PM
Quote:
Of course it did. That was what you were trying to do.
that was not what he was trying to do... You realize he has been here since 2002, and like he has said, he has played and bought both games. He is stating his opinion

# 94 bkrich83 @ 02/24/13 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woz411
that was not what he was trying to do... You realize he has been here since 2002, and like he has said, he has played and bought both games. He is stating his opinion
The lack of support with 2k and this franchise I think is what agitates me more than anything with the game. (Although I really wish they would clean up some of the fielding animations and the pitcher sub AI at times).

Whether it's the framerate issues we've seen in past versions for the PS3 version that don't get fixed, or the no error/injury issues, or whatever other issues that seem to plague this game, I just don't feel like they care enough to really put much effort forth to fix issues like that with any urgency.

It's frustrating because there are some really cool things in the game, the franchise mode despite some niggling issues could really be great. The commentary and overall presentation is generally top notch. The use of advanced statistics (although I think it's implementation is rather random) could really be cool. (I am in the minority, I don't dig the pitching/hitting controls). I also for the most part love the batter pitcher battle.

If 2k really wanted it to be, the game could be so much more. Just look at what they're capable with in the NBA2k series or even the NFL2k series. That's the frustrating part of this game for me.

And I know it's shallow, but really I've said this a thousand times, the fielding animations just kill me. Although apparently one of my other shallow pet peeves, washed out color pallette looks to be fixed or improved.

# 95 JustinVerlander35 @ 02/24/13 10:12 PM

At least they still got their prestation and commentary... I hope.

# 96 fearwhatnow @ 02/25/13 04:10 AM
No PC version=No buy for me
I always buy MLB2k for pc and The Show for my PS3 system.
MLB2k modded plays a good, fun game of baseball.On PS3 it's ugly and can't be modded.
Way to go again 2k. PC users are again 3rd world costumers. My guess is that they'll do the same with the NBA game.

# 97 redsrule @ 02/25/13 04:33 AM
Quote:
The lack of support with 2k and this franchise I think is what agitates me more than anything with the game. (Although I really wish they would clean up some of the fielding animations and the pitcher sub AI at times).

Whether it's the framerate issues we've seen in past versions for the PS3 version that don't get fixed, or the no error/injury issues, or whatever other issues that seem to plague this game, I just don't feel like they care enough to really put much effort forth to fix issues like that with any urgency.

It's frustrating because there are some really cool things in the game, the franchise mode despite some niggling issues could really be great. The commentary and overall presentation is generally top notch. The use of advanced statistics (although I think it's implementation is rather random) could really be cool. (I am in the minority, I don't dig the pitching/hitting controls). I also for the most part love the batter pitcher battle.

If 2k really wanted it to be, the game could be so much more. Just look at what they're capable with in the NBA2k series or even the NFL2k series. That's the frustrating part of this game for me.

And I know it's shallow, but really I've said this a thousand times, the fielding animations just kill me. Although apparently one of my other shallow pet peeves, washed out color pallette looks to be fixed or improved.
I agree completely with this, especially since it already is a solid base. Yes there are quite a big of nagging issues that imo seem like an easy fix, but I guess it comes down to them caring more about the million dollar challenge getting more people to buy the game than some of things that could be added/refined.

# 98 Reign X @ 02/25/13 01:02 PM
Looks like the same game to me. I actually don't mind the gameplay, but some of the animations are simply terrible. And graphically it's one of the worst sports games out there if not THE worst. Sad as a baseball fan that only owns an XBox. Don't want to have to buy a PS3 just for The Show, but I may do it this year. Just want to play a good baseball game on XBox, why has this been so hard? There are a lot of good things about the 2K series and I play them every year, just want something better and it's starting to get frustrating.

Really disheartening to see the same generic faces as well. There were what 15-20 of them last year? For 1000s of players that didn't have their real faces? It got repetitive in a hurry if you're into rosters, to the point where I'd check a player's face out before I traded for/signed him. Looks like its the same thing this year.

I love to be able to edit all the teams in franchise mode and that mode overall is good. The pitching interface and batting is decent too. But you have to edit the **** out of this game for it to be playable in my mind, and that sucks. I'm sure I'll buy it as I love baseball, but man it's a dissapointment again. Something needs to give, need new life in XBox baseball.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.