Home
Tiger 14 News Post

The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo is available now for Xbox 360 users (queue it up here). It weighs in at 1.98 GB.

PS3 users will have to wait until later this afternoon, when the PS Store updates.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo is available now.

Fans Get First Taste of Innovative Gameplay Features

Experience golf from the past and present, and play as golf icon Arnold Palmer in the all-new Legends of the Majors mode, experience the LPGA Tour and get a taste of the Connected Tournaments feature where players can compete online with friends.
  • The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo features one of the most compelling modes in franchise history – Legends of the Majors. The featured challenge, 1961 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale, puts players in the shoes of golf legend Arnold Palmer, in the 1960’s era, with the legend’s era-specific attire, equipment and skills. Once the challenge is passed, gamers will unlock 1960’s Arnold Palmer for use in the full version of the game.

• For the first time in franchise history, the game will feature LPGA integration and gamers can get a preview of the LPGA via the all-new Quick Tournaments feature. Players can use LPGA golf phenom Lexi Thompson on a new course – Oak Hill Country Club.

• Golf in a “Twenty-foursome” through our all-new Connected Tournaments mode in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo. Compete online against other players or friends and see as many as 23 shot arcs from other players on the course at the same time. Players can get a jumpstart on creating their country club tournaments by going to the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 website.

• The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo will support motion control and continue the level of immersion as fans can play the demo with Kinect for Xbox 360 or Sony PlayStation Move controllers.

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Jet Sufferer @ 03/05/13 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
Please chime in with your thoughts after trying it out. Load times were really fast which kinda suprised me especially after the snail loads of 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I remember you bailed from the Tradition Sports CC because of the load times, and I saw on my friends list you pretty much bailed on your PS3 for an extended time because of it! And now you've got me downloading the PS3 demo which I wasn't going to do because I didn't want to be tempted!

On the plus side the coin system last year was great on PS3, got all the courses free. See you just went offline going to the 360 demo aren't you? lol

# 82 SinisterAlex @ 03/05/13 10:19 PM
One thing I hate about these Tiger Woods demos is the fact there is no left handed golfers to use. I'm lefty in real life and it just feels awkward and weird to play right handed. Especially when trying to decided what type of shot to hit.

Wish EA would put a lefty in the demos...

On a more positive note, got this in the Tour Pro Connected Tournaments. Almost had -5, but barely missed an eagle hole out on hole 2.

# 83 econoodle @ 03/06/13 01:07 AM
Been away from tiger since 10 on the wii.
the new presentation peaked my interest and looking at getting back into it [no move].

LOVE the lighting. Wow.

The presentation is swell too.

What wonders a game can do when the last one you played was 4 years and 1 1/2 systems ago. lol

# 84 OnlookerDelay @ 03/06/13 06:04 AM
After playing the XBox 360 version a good bit of the dayI tried the PS3 demo last night, primarily with the Move interface and First Person Camera in mind. I was hoping the First Person Camera would hold its perspective view longer before switching to a Broadcast view. I started out in Tournament difficulty it was a bit too much to manage for my limited experience with the Move. It wasn't the fault of the interface, it was my lack of skill. The shot results were always easy to correlate to the swing errors I made. While I still feel awkward just swinging the Move by itself, when I executed a good swing, it was more satisfying than a good swing with the controller.

As for the First Person Camera, it wasn't the answer to my need for a longer held golfer perspective view. Just like the Broadcast camera, it switches to a TV Broadcast camera at impact and the golfer perspective immersion is lost. I'll say again that while the Broadcast presentation works as advertised from a TV spectator point of view, there's no option for me hold onto my golfer's perspective for those precious 3 to 4 seconds after impact, where I'd like to be seeing the line of flight of the ball taking shape.

First Person Camera/Broadcast also doesn't help the putting game, as the often instant camera switch doesn't give the gamer the golfer's perspective on the roll and break of the ball. If you miss the putt, you either have to view a replay to possibly get a good read on how it broke, or do the best with what you could glean from the TV broadcast camera. However, if you're playing Simulation difficulty with gridless greens, the golfer's eye perspective is critical in conveying this much needed data to the gamer's intuition.

As much as I like a lot of what this game delivers, there's no presentation option I can live with long term.

# 85 gbx34 @ 03/06/13 08:40 AM
am i missing something or is shot power basically determined of where you put the maker?

# 86 sloppywalrus67 @ 03/06/13 08:44 AM
I only played a few games late last night, but I noticed I wasn't getting any XP. Did anyone else notice this?

# 87 therizing02 @ 03/06/13 09:13 AM
Not sure if I'm missing something but I have to say I was hoping that playing the tournaments would be more realistic and more tension filled.

I don't play online so that part of the game is useless to me and to go to the final round of a major and see the leaders between 25 and 30 under par is an absolute joke. What is going on with the sim engine?

If the intent is to get more people to play online I get it and maybe the game just isn't for me, but anytime I have played this game offline I always feel like I'm the only one on the course and it takes away from the immersion level. Where are my playing partners? What about highlights from around the course to see some shots from some of the others at the top of the leader board? If I'm a shot back to my playing partner on the 71st hole and we both stripe one down the middle of the fairway, he plays first and knocks one to 8ft, doesn't the tension rise a little? That is competitive/tournament golf.

I guess my vision of a true broadcast presentation is what I see on TV every weekend. Yes, strides have been made with overlays and other things, but this game has a long way to go before I get on board. Right now, it's swing, fast forward to my golfer to hit his second shot, putt, putt...next hole. Just doesn't feel like tournament golf to me. Feels more like a practice round.

# 88 DivotMaker @ 03/06/13 09:52 AM
Nothing wrong with the Sim engine.... Those rounds were generated on the easier difficulty settings....the scores will drop accordingly with the higher difficulty levels....

# 89 therizing02 @ 03/06/13 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Nothing wrong with the Sim engine.... Those rounds were generated on the easier difficulty settings....the scores will drop accordingly with the higher difficulty levels....
Yeah? So I had selected simulation for my settings and went into the tournament and Bradley led the British Open with a score of 27 under. You're saying that will change in the retail version?

Thanks

# 90 DivotMaker @ 03/06/13 10:38 AM
That is what was posted on the EA Tiger forums by one of the Devs...

# 91 ctulb @ 03/06/13 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx34
am i missing something or is shot power basically determined of where you put the maker?
Definitely seems the case with putting. Not sure with other shots, have missed quite a few greens long

# 92 cccgolfer08 @ 03/06/13 11:19 AM
Quote:
What exactly do you mean by shot power? Like how far you are hitting the shot? With ZERO wind and elevation, where your aiming marker is, if you hit a perfect back swing and through swing, the ball should LAND where the marker was. It is a landing marker so that doesn't account for roll/spin. If you happen to have a fast tempo and an overswing, your ball could fly 10 years past where that aiming marker was. You also need to make sure that your strike meter is on the center of the ball because that will effect your distance and accuracy as well.

# 93 mctrees02 @ 03/06/13 11:46 AM
Love the simulation difficulty. It definitely took 5 or 6 quick rounds to get a feel for it. On Royal Birkdale, you can just aim out to the right if you're hitting a pull hook to keep the ball in play but that's not much of an option on a tree lined course like Oak Hill. Once I got the hang of the swing, it became a lot easier to "play for the miss" while finding fairways and greens. +1 is my best 3 hole score at Oak Hill, even at Birkdale. I'll work a bit more on the putting later on but the lack of green reading tools should virtually eliminate anybody having 18-20 putt rounds anymore. A round in the 60's will be hard earned and well deserved.

The Legends feature was unplayable for me on my new LED TV as it was simply too hard to see what's going on in "night mode" when there is sun coming through my windows (and I don't have any glare on my TV, windows are behind it). I personally think that was a waste of time by the devs to add in night golf and having now tried to play it, it confirmed my suspicion as a tricked up gimmick that isn't going to really draw anybody into buying the game.

I had no plans to buy TW14 as I really enjoy 13 and have earned enough coins to pick up just about every course that I wanted. However, the fun of simulation mode might have me considering this after I get done with the Show as a great summer/fall game before FIFA 14 comes out.

# 94 OnlookerDelay @ 03/06/13 12:21 PM
I tried playing the 360 version some more this morning. I did Quick Play at Royal Birkdale and it was too dark for my tastes. It wasn't dark enough for the ball to glow, but just before it. It just felt so phoney to me.

I then tried some Simulation difficulty Connected Tournaments under sunny, afternoon skies at Birkdale. The course looked as good, if not better than last year, under those conditions. I tried Broadcast presentation one more time and I've finally had enough... it is an absolute mess from a player perspective. Not only are you taken out of the moment and deprived of the opportunity to savor the aesthetics of watching the shot take shape from your virtual golfer's eyes, you are also missing critical bounce and roll information that could have been useful to you in gauging slopes on short pitches, chips and putts. The Broadcast camera still shifts to angles at the moment of impact that don't allow you to see how the ball is breaking/rolling on the green to the extent your golfer would have seen it from their eyes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I grew tired of Follow Camera with Tiger 2007 and I haven't warmed up to it since. I'll have to admit that the Follow camera does give the player a better look at the action, particularly pitching, chipping and putting, but even it does some funky things that deprive you of getting good golfer's eye data on how putts and chips are breaking for the come backers. I don't like the Follow camera because it strips me out of the golfer's perspective and I wind up feeling like I'm a bird watching the action. I recognize that a lot of people like it, and I can understand that. It's purely a personal preference, but it's a strong enough consideration in how I perceive the game that I fear now that the presentation options are going to be a dealbreaker for me.

# 95 gbx34 @ 03/06/13 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccgolfer08
What exactly do you mean by shot power? Like how far you are hitting the shot? With ZERO wind and elevation, where your aiming marker is, if you hit a perfect back swing and through swing, the ball should LAND where the marker was. It is a landing marker so that doesn't account for roll/spin. If you happen to have a fast tempo and an overswing, your ball could fly 10 years past where that aiming marker was. You also need to make sure that your strike meter is on the center of the ball because that will effect your distance and accuracy as well.

Yea. I do not see a swing percentage. So if your wedge goes 120 yards and put the marker at 80, a full swing will go that 80 yards.

# 96 BagMan @ 03/06/13 12:52 PM
A variety of camera options in a golf game should be mandatory.

Also, the core of the game is flawed. It should provide tremendous satisfaction as a reward for hitting the ball properly. The way it is currently, iron strikes sound like ground first then ball contact. it should be the opposite.

Same with the driver. The swing speed sounds too low for a professional golfer and the sound of the driver hitting the ball is too hollow.

In real golf, you can tell a good strike by the sound. A very satisfying sound.

If you had a baseball game where hitting a baseball doesnt feel right or is not satisfying, you would not play it very long.

# 97 cccgolfer08 @ 03/06/13 12:55 PM
Quote:
Yea. I do not see a swing percentage. So if your wedge goes 120 yards and put the marker at 80, a full swing will go that 80 yards.
Percentages are non existent in the game. I don't know if you happened to play '13, but they were actually gone in that game. If a full swing wedge with your aiming marker all way out is 120 yards, that is with you swinging with a full backswing.. If you draw your aiming marker back to 80 yards, your swing will be need to be shortened or you will overswing. so you will actually have to end up taking about 2/3 of the backswing instead of a full backswing. You will notice this if you go play a round in amateur mode. There is a swing aid that will show you when you need to stop your backswing to have a perfect shot. So go play amateur and draw your aiming marker back, and you will see what I'm talking about. Difficult to explain.

# 98 DivotMaker @ 03/06/13 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagMan
Thanks for the vids. I'm scratching my head as to why there is a "swoosh" noise during a putting stroke. Total turn off!!

Do any of the devs even play golf?
The "swoosh" is not in the final version of the game. And every Dev plays Golf, a couple of them are scratch golfers......

# 99 Koolie G @ 03/06/13 04:08 PM
Played a few quick tournaments last night and one connected tournament. I only wanted to play Simulation mode. I didn't by TW13 so some things are new to me. In the connected tourney I doubled the first, bogeyed the 2nd and parred the 3rd.

I couldn't change my swing to the right stick in the connceted tourney, hopefully that won't be the case in the retail version. I need that right stick as my swing stick.

Overall, I really like what they've done. They could still work on the presentation and the feeling of immersion, and they could also work on the camera angles, but overall this Simulation setting is going to make this a favorite of mine I think.

# 100 cccgolfer08 @ 03/06/13 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolie G

I couldn't change my swing to the right stick in the connceted tourney, hopefully that won't be the case in the retail version. I need that right stick as my swing stick.
I believe if you go to the gameplay settings in the main menu, and you scroll down, there is an option to change to the right stick.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.