Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Now that the game is released to all, this is the place to post your impressions.

As a reminder, this is not a thread for questions. Please use the MLB 2K13 Q&A thread for that.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 TheProof @ 03/06/13 11:54 PM
This game a complete embaressment. Definition of roster update. I feel that this game could have easily been a patch instead of full on retail release. Same menus, graphics, franchise mode, ect. Thank god this is the last year these guys are going to be making these games. Hopefully somebody else can come in and create a more respectful baseball game. The 2k development team is obviously worn out.

# 62 mike24forever @ 03/07/13 12:03 AM
Is anyone else finding that the outfielders are not getting a good jump on balls hit to the outfield?

# 63 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/07/13 01:45 AM
For those that had any concerns about online stability, I can report that the game ran great for me. I played one against a buddy earlier and we didn't have any lag issues or any other problems whatsoever.

I also played the computer tonight and lost a 13 inning game 1-0. This was my first game on the All Star settings. My Yankees ended up with 6 hits total to the Rockies 8. I figure I'm gonna run a few more games on that difficulty and see what type of variation I get in scoring.

# 64 mike24forever @ 03/07/13 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
I play on All-Star and noticed this. It's actually not their jump, it is how long the game funs them before you take over. If you are pressing the wrong way, or not at all, the OF stops or pauses.

OF Speed (and IF) is set to 20, so I bumped it to 30, and this improved. One thing I noticed form 2K12 was that the more speed you allocate to the fielders, the longer the CPU controls them. So I adjust speed to find the balance of not too much control, and not too little.

I also think each of us will find a different setting that works for us.
Thanks, I'll try that out.

# 65 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/07/13 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Joe, MK and guys that have played 2K for years, are you using similar slider adjustments from 2K11-12, or does the game play OK on default difficulties?
DJ, right now I am testing my 2K12 sliders with 2K13. So far everything seems to be working well. I'm testing the OF Speed due to OF taking weird angles on balls in the gap.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

# 66 Money99 @ 03/07/13 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean
Why no official review yet from Operations Sports? They were SUPER quick on getting MLB 13 The Show review up...........
To be honest, I'm not sure they provided a review copy to anyone.
Pastapadre had to rent the game, and ESPN's game reviewer never received a copy either.

# 67 shogunofharlem3 @ 03/07/13 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtics6
I'm starting to think there was definately work done under the hood this year. Something about the graphics are really popping for me and the game feels very immersive especially on the big screen. Maybe I'm seeing things but I don't know. the game plays really good. The more I play the more I'm really liking this year's version and thinking I'm going to buy it.

Playing the cubs in wrigley. Could barely see the ball coming out of the sunlight into the shade. The lighting was crazy realistic and everything looks really sharp.
That was always one of my pet peeves. I am an American League guy but playing head to head vs my buddy we like to play in the original stadiums.

Playing at Wrigley in 2k12 was impossible during certain innings. Great to hear that the lighting was fixed.

# 68 Flaxseed Oil @ 03/07/13 12:33 PM
I played a little bit more this morning. This is a terrific game.

# 69 mkharsh33 @ 03/07/13 12:44 PM
OF angles are just terrible in this game... I've seen THREE inside the park HR's because of the terrible angle and THEN the diving they do. I don't even know if speeding them up much will make a difference. This game might be going back to GameStop... I just don't know.

# 70 DaveDQ @ 03/07/13 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
OF angles are just terrible in this game... I've seen THREE inside the park HR's because of the terrible angle and THEN the diving they do. I don't even know if speeding them up much will make a difference. This game might be going back to GameStop... I just don't know.
I don't see that, although the camera does seem weird at times on my approach. Sometimes the ball is moving so fast you don't really have a beat on it, so getting the angle just isn't going to happen. When the ball is hit hard and the small yellow circle immediately shows up, I play behind it. If I go after it it will get by me and allow extra bases.

# 71 daltros @ 03/07/13 01:23 PM
My overall impressions of the game are a little better than I had anticipated, but not by much. Comparing 2k13 to last year's title (and the years before), there seems to be better detail for the fans in the stands, refurbished player mechanics (especially in the outfield), a few new fielding animations, and some new commentary.

Initially, I felt 2k12 all over again, and in some ways it felt a little less valuable considering they removed the online league mode. However, after putting a few more solid hours into the game, the actual gameplay and mechanics seem to be improved. The pitching is great as always, but there was glitches for fielding. I have only experienced the outfield lag glitch once (it happened to my online opponent, not me) where a ball was hit to the warning tracks, the LF was tracking down the ball and could have easily made a running catch, but the lag glitch made the LF miss the ball entirely and landed within inches of his face thus bouncing into the stands for a ground-rule double. I have experienced other fielding errors, like balls thrown to the wrong base when I actually threw it to my intended target, but this was probably due to my usage of extended thumbsticks. Other than these issues, the game has been released with the smallest amount of glitches in the series.

The refurbished graphics in the stands is a nice touch-up, but nothing that is noticable unless you have been a fan of the franchise for a while. The commentary is spot-on as usual, and the added commentary for new big-name players like Trout and Harper is welcoming.

Considering that Take Two didn't anticipate making another baseball game but did, anyways, under extremely short notice, it actually is a decent game. The lack of innovative features is understandable because of the time contraints (although it still should be a necessity because of today's market and competition), but it is inexcusable to remove the online league mode, which has been a staple of the franchise for the last few years. If the online league mode were never added to the franchise, I would rate this as a 7/10. However, considering the league mode was removed, I feel it should deserve a lesser rating, although a 6 or 6.5/10 feels too harsh. Call me picky, but I give the game a 6.8 or 6.9/10.

# 72 Watson @ 03/07/13 02:21 PM
I skipped out on 2k12 so I gotta say, I'm fairly decently impressed. True, I wasn't expecting the Mass Effect 2 of sports games, but it can hold it's own.

Only issues I really have are the INJURIES. It's out of control, I had to end up turning it off, simming ST and after every singly game I had a new injury to manage. And then the AI swings at any first pitch that's within reach. I ended up knocking down the contact (from the default pro setting) and pulling up the power to compensate.

# 73 tvman @ 03/07/13 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
I skipped out on 2k12 so I gotta say, I'm fairly decently impressed. True, I wasn't expecting the Mass Effect 2 of sports games, but it can hold it's own.

Only issues I really have are the INJURIES. It's out of control, I had to end up turning it off, simming ST and after every singly game I had a new injury to manage. And then the AI swings at any first pitch that's within reach. I ended up knocking down the contact (from the default pro setting) and pulling up the power to compensate.
I think most had injuries at 10-15 last year.

# 74 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/07/13 03:22 PM
after playing more last night I must say I don't regret getting it. I own 3 baseball games now, and this game will get attention too no doubt.

If there is one word to describe the game and only one word, Its ALIVE!

# 75 DaveDQ @ 03/07/13 03:54 PM
I think what hurts the game the most is the animations. Just the way a fielder runs looks very silly at times. Their arms move way too much and too fast, then they stop abruptly, look off into the distance and then go to the next animation. This may not even be during a play but after, still it hurts the flow of the game. It's just very hard on the eyes.

# 76 pistolpete @ 03/07/13 04:18 PM
I've been holding off on getting this game to find out if I got a new job or not. I got it today, and I don't start until the middle of may. This gives me a great deal of time for franchise mode!

I'll get the game tonight this weekend.

I'm excited about some of the stuff you fellas are posting. I loved 2k11, and thought 2k12 was missing a little something. I'll see what 2k13 has in store.

# 77 scottyo60 @ 03/07/13 07:31 PM
Picked this game up today really just because I never played 2k12 past the demo and never did the $1 mill challenge. So figured why not since ive played 2k7 way too much and 2k10 was my last 2k bought. Now onto the game.

Played one game so far and must say this game has a charm about it. Reds (me) vs. Twins, pitching matchup Latos vs. Diamond. Default sliders

Went down 1-0 in the second quickly learning that always go towards the back of the white circle. Could had a chance throwing out the runnin, but had to dive (which was cool) to make the catch. In the fourth got on a raly and it a three run homerun. Ended up 3-1 till the seventh. Was selective on pitches and worked him down and hit another homer. Then with some solid base hitting got to a 6-1 lead which I held the whole game. Latos threw a complete game two hitter.

Now that that's over, I must say this is the most fun I've had with a baseball game! 2k7 looks great, but I always end up frustrated. In my show experiences this is the same way. I found myself fist pumping on hits and feeling excited to strike a guy out in a batting battle. AI worked the counts well it felt which helped add to the fun.

Graphically it isn't blowing anyone away and I'm sure ill see the bugs, but I'm having a blast playing. It's been a long time (maybe UFC 3) since I felt excitement playing video games vs. AI. Once again I didn't play 2k12 so take this impression from that perspective. I like it a lot, fun game.

# 78 Jordan530 @ 03/07/13 07:47 PM
Got the game last night. 4 games into my season I'm glad I got the game. Playing on All-Star sliders and the gameplay is great. Not a HUGE improvement but enough for me to cough up 30$ and a couple old games. I'm getting a lot of good battles at the plate. Commentary is on point. Colors and Lighting are a lot better. The only thing I dont like is the OF's reactions. If your not pointing the stick in the right direction as soon as the ball is hit, its pretty much an automatic double. Read that bumping up OF run speed fixes this. Gonna give it a try. Looking forward to spending countless hours trying to bring another ring back to SF!

# 79 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/07/13 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I also played the computer tonight and lost a 13 inning game 1-0. This was my first game on the All Star settings. My Yankees ended up with 6 hits total to the Rockies 8. I figure I'm gonna run a few more games on that difficulty and see what type of variation I get in scoring.
I just finished up another one on All Star and had an awesome game. I was leading 5-1 in the 4th inning, but by the time we got to the 8th, the Cardinals had managed to tie it back up. I was feeling like I was going to lose the game because the momentum had shifted, but my boys showed some heart.

In the 9th, Ichiro ended up driving in a run with two outs after hitting a little dribbler to the pitcher and outrunning him to the 1st base bag. I was so amped up when they called him safe because I thought the pitcher beat him. On the replay though you could see that Ichiro got him by a step. We managed to score one more run that inning for a cushion and then let Mariano finish them off. Yankees win 7-5.

I was a little concerned after my first game that scoring might be an issue, but this game showed me that wouldn't be the case. All Star seems to be a good difficulty for me. Small sample size of course, but so far so good.

# 80 steelereign @ 03/08/13 09:10 AM
Having played every 2K baseball release for the last few years, I can say that this version is acceptable. I'm not hung up on super-ultra-realistic graphics. I could care less about players wearing the wrong hat, or the stupid foul ball animation that has the fans flopping around like spawning salmon. Not my concern.

What I do care about is realistic game play, and for the most part, 2k13 does a fine job. There are some issues with OF defense, and some silly decisions on bunts. But, there is NO game that I can recall that builds the tension in each at bat the way this one does.

How quickly we forget the old days. The days of the starter going 9 each start with a final pitch count of 60. No longer does the AI swing at any & every pitch anywhere close to the strike zone. Gone are the days of your pitcher being able to hit his spot with laser-like ability.

The core of baseball is truly the Pitcher - Hitter battle. Without that, you may as well call it slow-pitch softball. So, for my $60, 2k13 gets the job done. Yes, it has flaws. But, it does the important things very well and I'm loving every minute of it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.