Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports released their Next-Gen NBA 2K14 trailer during the Sony E3 2013 Press Conference this evening.

The 'NBA 2K14 – Next Gen Reveal' segment featured NBA 2K14 cover athlete LeBron James discussing life as "Video Game James" with a digital version of himself, while showing off some of his on the court moves in NBA 2K14. All of the footage was NOT pre-rendered and shown from a pre-alpha PS4 build.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 221 stianaak @ 06/11/13 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
I've never owned a Basketball game before, nor do I even understand the sport, but I am excited for NBA 2K14 on next gen.

I will be looking to get into the sport during the finals and learn more about it so that I can enjoy NBA 2k and even ball a bit myself in the real world.

If anyone can point me to some places where I can learn about the sport please do. I have little to no clue about it (based in the UK so its not common knowledge at all).

Also, I believe that besides gameplay, the career mode is the most important thing in a sports game and I hope to see some really great additions... From what I've seen on current gen career mode looks dope so any improvements should be amazing.
I'm European as well, so I know where you're coming from, man. I'm Norwegian, and we don't have any basketball coverage what so ever. Still I feel that I have a pretty good grasp of the game of basketball without ever playing the sport myself. And I have got that knowledge through the 2K games. I would advise you to purchase 2K13, and change your settings so that your coach run plays for you, due to the fact that you have little knowledge of the game. You can also change your settings so that the CPU is giving you pointers on where you should go.

As well as playing 2K, I would advise you to watch a few actual games. The playoffs is soon over, but you could try to download a few games, and try to look for ways that teams is building up their play. 2K13 has coach profiles, so the different teams will feel differently as they are playing different styles of basketball. Therefor I would pick a team and stick with it in the beginning, while you are watching a few actual games of that team. When you feel that you have your team down, you can start experimenting with other teams as well.

# 222 Goffs @ 06/11/13 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
People can't get excited about a graphical leap? I just don't get it, why people can't get excited for something if it's not a playcalling system, online association or playbook news?
It's like we have to see what they are seeing so we have to hate it as well ....I just love it that it bothers them why we can see a leap in graphics while they can't

cheers to those with good eyes

# 223 ForeverVersatile @ 06/11/13 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow86
I watched it at 1080p and I'm not really impressed, it's not that much better than playstation 3 graphics. 'The steps from ps1 to ps2 and ps2 to ps3 was incredible, but this is not really that much of an upgrade.
You must not have played any of NBA2K13 or 12, this looks 1000 times better. You're saying Lebron and Kobe looking damn near life like isn't an upgrade, get your eyes checked ASAP bruh.

# 224 jersez @ 06/11/13 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
It's like we have to see what they are seeing so we have to hate it as well ....I just love it that it bothers them why we can see a leap in graphics while they can't

cheers to those with good eyes
It's the guys that say "it's only graphics" that bother me, they're trying to downplay the work the art team has put in and that disgust me. If graphics didn't matter then I doubt any of us would have spent 500-600 dollars on a PS3 or Xbox 360.

If people are excited for 2k14 because of this trailer I see nothing wrong with it, but calling people stupid because they've brought a video game for a different reason than you, it's ridicules and immature.

On another note:
I'm really appreciative of the NBA and David Stern or whoever is supervising the video game license, EA tried to buy the NBA rights years ago, and of course they were rejected, I'm not going to bash EA, I'm just happy that 2k has been given the time to grow their product into what it is and what it's going to be in the future. Unlike NFL 2k, which I believe if it had the time to prosper like NBA 2K could have been light years ahead of video game football of today.

# 225 thedream2k13 @ 06/11/13 12:10 PM
As I've always told my pc gaming friends , no matter how powerful your system is ,its all wasted if developers don't make games to fit it. This short trailer is an example of this

# 226 jayman504 @ 06/11/13 12:21 PM
For ALL of our sakes I hope It plays as good as it looks. Am I excited YES mos def...But it will all be in vain if were still stuck with the same problems. ANYHOW lets just sit back and soak in the HYPE machine which is NBA 2k14

# 227 Ajknowsit @ 06/11/13 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
It's a f*cking trailer showing a single slow motion dunk. Looks great, but we don't know anything about the game yet. Oh, and Lebron says "buy it". So I have to. Come on 2k, take my money right now!

Seriously, 2k really has to do nothing at all to get people to spend money on their products. Maybe the game is going to be great, maybe it will be a huge disappointment. No way to tell right now. But 2k has done a great job of getting people to be emotionally attached to the brand. For many kids, it "feels right", so they have to buy it. Marketing wise, 2k is as good as it gets. They've done an impressive job getting kids to buy everything.

I mean let's say I wanna spend 60 bucks on a bball game in October. There are 2 competing products available. It's rational to compare both to find out which one I should spend my money on. But many people have their minds already made up based on brands ("Nothing can make be buy Live/2k... wow, Live/2k looks soooo great. Take my money right now...).
That's why video game companies can allow half-a**ing their products, people will spend money anyway, resulting in mediocre games or no game at all (Live was living on reputation alone for years leading to the recent disasters).
Finally some sanity.

# 228 BallIsLife2 @ 06/11/13 12:40 PM
Graphics are great but you all would be warned not to get too hyped off of a one-minute trailer.
Remember how we all said that 2K13 was going to be the "best game ever".

# 229 Marino @ 06/11/13 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallIsLife2
Graphics are great but you all would be warned not to get too hyped off of a one-minute trailer.
Remember how we all said that 2K13 was going to be the "best game ever".
2k13 has been the best in the series for me

# 230 TheLetterZ @ 06/11/13 12:59 PM
And for me too.

2K has a pretty good history in my mind when it comes to meeting or exceeding expectations and delivering good games.

# 231 XenoZograscope @ 06/11/13 01:05 PM
Just seen the trailer, I'm quite impressed what I seen so far for next gen. PS4 is already on pre-order for me.

# 232 kolanji @ 06/11/13 01:26 PM
this games looks amazing in motion as usual and the graphics leaves u with ur mouth open

but is it enough? not for me anymore i dont wanna watch a video game i wanna play, and to be honest i haven't played an nba 2k basketball game for a while now,it feels scripted and the control is disastrous to the point i dont feel like am in control

the response time between controller input and reaction on screens is frustrating most of the times as in many situations where the passer and the receiver is very close but to get both animations to line up the passer hesitates or a longer drawn out animation plays out to compensate for time needed for animations to line up.

defense in the paint is non existent and ice sliding around is rampant and unrealistic.online has never been a reliable feature and is feasted with players willing enough to take advantage of broken game play mechanics

i don't play association or my player but this game is more tailored for u guys who plays alone against the CPU..but for a guy like me that plays human opponents this game doesn't work as good on that front...too many AI assistance and it feels like constant intervention by the AI as if it is trying to regulate games to seem competitive even when both players aren't even close in skills and 2k know how

now don't get me wrong am just being critical about this cause i love 2k for all the hard work VC it puts in year after year and this video gets me hyped up as any one of u guys around here, but am just worried that with all that visual improvements and obvious smoother animations that we will end up with a game that is plagued by hiccups and frustrations as it has for me based in history for the last few IP

# 233 Goffs @ 06/11/13 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
As I've always told my pc gaming friends , no matter how powerful your system is ,its all wasted if developers don't make games to fit it. This short trailer is an example of this
I wouldn't mind a delayed PC version so we can have the next gen build for it...

# 234 TalenT @ 06/11/13 01:28 PM
No wonder they stopped trying to fix 2K13's flaws so early....they've been workin' on THIS masterpiece of a game!

There was one point during the presentation where I told my girl "Oh s***! 2K14!! Shut up!!!" .......Oops. Lol!

# 235 Sundown @ 06/11/13 01:35 PM
Looks fantastic-- maybe not quite as next gen, rendering and technology wise-- much of what we saw can be done decently on current hardware, but there's seems to be a major effort to improve the art assets on all fronts.

Lighting looks good though could be improved to look a little less washed out. Reflections on Ray and Kobe look fantastic, best since we lost the sweat effects from 2k11.

# 236 Gosens6 @ 06/11/13 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
If you're not impressed with that then there's simply no impressing you. Simple as that. The graphical leap is amazing. Look how real guys look. If the game plays like NBA 2k has played the past few years, that plus these graphics... wow.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If someone says their jaw didn't hit the floor while watching that, they're lying

# 237 renewill27 @ 06/11/13 02:11 PM
Day one xbox one for me cant wait.

# 238 JBreezeNY @ 06/11/13 02:29 PM
I'll probably get this on the PS3 then get the next gen version on the Xbox One. Graphics look dope, can't believe it's pre-alpha, wow.

# 239 jersez @ 06/11/13 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
this games looks amazing in motion as usual and the graphics leaves u with ur mouth open

but is it enough? not for me anymore i dont wanna watch a video game i wanna play, and to be honest i haven't played an nba 2k basketball game for a while now,it feels scripted and the control is disastrous to the point i dont feel like am in control

the response time between controller input and reaction on screens is frustrating most of the times as in many situations where the passer and the receiver is very close but to get both animations to line up the passer hesitates or a longer drawn out animation plays out to compensate for time needed for animations to line up.

defense in the paint is non existent and ice sliding around is rampant and unrealistic.online has never been a reliable feature and is feasted with players willing enough to take advantage of broken game play mechanics

i don't play association or my player but this game is more tailored for u guys who plays alone against the CPU..but for a guy like me that plays human opponents this game doesn't work as good on that front...too many AI assistance and it feels like constant intervention by the AI as if it is trying to regulate games to seem competitive even when both players aren't even close in skills and 2k know how

now don't get me wrong am just being critical about this cause i love 2k for all the hard work VC it puts in year after year and this video gets me hyped up as any one of u guys around here, but am just worried that with all that visual improvements and obvious smoother animations that we will end up with a game that is plagued by hiccups and frustrations as it has for me based in history for the last few IP
You hit the nail on the head, if these issues are fixed with the graphical leap, 2k14 can take my money. If the sliding, defense in the paint and input response, man I can't even think what type of game that would be.

Oh Just in case some of you missed this old news. About 2k14 release date on Next Gen consoles
"2K Sports Senior VP of Basketball Operations Jason Argent confirmed their availability and said, “We will be day and date launch titles for both of those platforms."

And no Wii U version.

# 240 J_Posse @ 06/11/13 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
You hit the nail on the head, if these issues are fixed with the graphical leap, 2k14 can take my money. If the sliding, defense in the paint and response man I can't even think what type of game that would be.
It all hinges on if they are able to add real-time physics and a more "realistic" animation system with the more powerful next-gen hardware. I'm really, really hoping so or I'll be a bit disappointed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.