Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out the new features for NBA 2K14.

Highlight Features:
  • Crews - The single-most requested game mode is back! Face off against opposing crews online using your MyPLAYER. Create your logo and face off in 5v5 battles with other crews featuring leaderboards and stats. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)
  • Euroleague - Exclusive to NBA 2K14 - play with 14 of the top European teams, featuring authentic uniforms and players.
  • Dynamic Living Rosters® powered by Stats, Inc. - Player attributes and tendencies automatically update daily to reflect true life hot and cold streaks. Now, each game played in the NBA can have an effect on your game.
  • King James Soundtrack - Featuring artists and tracks hand-picked by LeBron James, including JAY Z, Eminem, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, and many more.
  • MyTEAM - Back and better than ever, with new player modes, multi and single player tournaments, and much more. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)

Key Gameplay Features:
  • Pro Stick™ – Throw down show-stopping moves, pull off intricate shots, and toss flashy no-look passes with deadly accuracy with Pro Stick control. Easily the most intuitive basketball controls ever implemented.
  • 2K Smart Play Button –Quickly call the most suitable play for the context of the game by simply holding a single button.
  • Improved Player Motion System – With an all new motion system, player movement is much smoother on both ends of the floor, while also allowing for much more explosive cuts and tighter control.
  • Depth of Content – With significant upgrades in nearly every aspect of the game, both on and off the court, NBA 2K14 boasts more animation content than any previous basketball title, and includes more than 3000 new animations.

General Gameplay Improvements:
  • Signature Skills – Six new Signature Skills, ensuring each NBA player’s unique abilities are represented in the most authentic way possible.
  • Playbook and Play System enhancements – The deepest and most authentic playbook gets even deeper. Execute new half-court sets, experience improved spacing logic, and run updated team specific plays.
  • More Signature Styles - New jump shots, dunk and layup packages, dribble moves, free throws, pre-game intros, getbacks, celebrations and more.

Offensive Control Improvements:
  • Shot System Upgrades – More realistic footwork on jump shots, improved awareness in shot selection, and a variety of new shot types. Whether you use the new intuitive Pro Stick™ or the enhanced Smart Shot Button, attacking the rim is now more exciting than ever.
  • Dribbling Advancements - Upgraded dribble movement and new branching technology give you much greater 1-to-1 control over the ball handler.
  • Enhanced Passing – More accurate pass targeting, new give and go mechanics, better handoffs, and an entire arsenal of new flashy passes.

Defensive Improvements:
  • Learning Defensive A.I. – Test your skills even further with new defensive AI that sees where the offense is being successful and adjusts strategy to take those advantages away.
  • Block Improvements – The block system has been completely revamped for NBA 2K14 with improved ball targeting and awareness, more realistic physics, and more responsive control. All new player collisions, the ability to block dunks, and more appropriate shot contests make playing defense much more fun and rewarding.
  • All New Ball Denial - No more getting stuck during off ball bumps and ball denial, allowing for complete freedom of control over your players away from the ball.
  • Enhanced dribbler vs. on-ball defender contact - Defenders can now initiate steals, hard bumps, and charges out of defensive rides, making locking up players on defense a much more engaging experience.
  • Expanded Defensive Commands – New commands using the right stick: including contesting shots, contesting passes, and denying or pressuring the ball.

Returning Features Include:
  • MyCAREER
  • The Association
  • The Association: Online
  • Training Camp
  • Season
  • Playoffs
  • Practice
  • NBA Blacktop
  • MyPLAYER Blacktop
  • Team Up
The NBA 2K14 King James Bonus Pack offers exclusive content featuring LeBron James. Customers who pre-order NBA 2K14 for the Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will receive the following:
  • 10,000 Virtual Currency to get a jump start on the competition;
  • Extra content for the new Path to Greatness mode;
  • LeBron James unlocked in Blacktop Mode;
  • The all-new LeBron James Signature Skill available for your MyPlayer.
NBA 2K14 arrives in stores on October 1st for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Xbox One and PS4 versions arrive in November.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 221 blues rocker @ 08/16/13 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
Except when you want to pass to your small forward in transition, only to find out that that he's been moved to the 4 spot. Hence, backcourt violation. LOL!
that's just you're fault for not paying attention to the icon above the player's head...like JasonWilliams55 said, it's user error, not the game's fault. to each his own.

when i use icon passing, i don't pass to the "position" that i assume the player is at, i actually look at the icon above him and press the corresponding button. you gotta pay attention to the icons if you're gonna use icon passing.

# 222 Optik @ 08/16/13 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
You prob don't want to hear this as I thought it was BS also but when playing a debug build you can see where your stick was pressed on each pass... Rufly 90% of the time I had a complaint it was actually user error. I had pointed the stick in the wrong direction. The stick is almost too accurate because we rarely point the stick exactly where we think we do.

I thought it was BS when dev's were telling me that but depending on your camera angle (2k is easier) I have seen for myself that a lot of this is user error. NOT ALL but a good bit. So to ask them to fix that is to make it less accurate and more of a guess. Iffy waters for sure.
WHAT?! Why don't they have that kind of stuff in the full version? It's kinda like when you said you played 2K13 and instead of letter grades for the shots you had percentages.

They have an arrow to show where you are passing if you use manual passing in PES. Why don't they have it for 2K? That would be an IMMENSE help.

# 223 Optik @ 08/16/13 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
that's just you're fault for not paying attention to the icon above the player's head...like JasonWilliams55 said, it's user error, not the game's fault. to each his own.

when i use icon passing, i don't pass to the "position" that i assume the player is at, i actually look at the icon above him and press the corresponding button. you gotta pay attention to the icons if you're gonna use icon passing.
Well, I don't, and for good reason. I'm not playing how Nate Williams would like to play, I actually want fast breaks, and to able to zip the ball in a split second, I don't want to waste my time looking down and examining which person is assigned to each icon, I want it to be an instantaneous RB press and pass.

# 224 VDusen04 @ 08/16/13 05:23 PM
Quote:
Well, I don't, and for good reason. I'm not playing how Nate Williams would like to play, I actually want fast breaks, and to able to zip the ball in a split second, I don't want to waste my time looking down and examining which person is assigned to each icon, I want it to be an instantaneous RB press and pass.
I personally use icon passing in certain situations but at other times I do not. I like to think I've developed a nice mix. A fast break where my point guard is in the middle of the court with one player on each side is typically not an icon pass situation (since I have faith I can press in the right direction well enough for the game to recognize my intent).

In the tighter spots - three guys standing next to one anther or in a rough line or something of that sort (say, when swinging the ball from one corner to the other corner cross court, over a guy posting up), icon comes up big.

# 225 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/16/13 05:27 PM
Quote:
You prob don't want to hear this as I thought it was BS also but when playing a debug build you can see where your stick was pressed on each pass... Rufly 90% of the time I had a complaint it was actually user error. I had pointed the stick in the wrong direction. The stick is almost too accurate because we rarely point the stick exactly where we think we do.

I thought it was BS when dev's were telling me that but depending on your camera angle (2k is easier) I have seen for myself that a lot of this is user error. NOT ALL but a good bit. So to ask them to fix that is to make it less accurate and more of a guess. Iffy waters for sure.
This.

I recall a dev insight where they stated something similar, I recall 80% of passes with the RS were off from what the user wanted, but it was ultimately due to user error. As Czar stated its b/c the stick is too accurate and the players/court dimensions (with motion) is a very hard thing to do, precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
haha...you're misunderstanding me, Czar. I'm not asking them to fix directional passing. i acknowledge that a lot of the time it's user error when using directional passing. i'm saying i'd rather use icon passing to avoid the factor of user error.

what i was also saying is that there are certain situations where it's almost impossible to use directional passing and get the ball to the right guy, like when you have a bunch of teammates who are all at the same angle from you or they're all grouped relatively close together ( like if you have 3 teammates who are all to your right and in the same area) - there is no way the game could possibly know which of those teammates you want to pass to using directional passing. how could the game possibly know if i want to pass to the guy closest to me or furthest from me?.....thus my solution is to just use icon passing all the time. i've been doing this since 2k11. once i got used to it, i just couldn't go back to any other passing.

like i said: i wasn't calling for them to "fix" directional passing, i was just stating the reasons that i prefer to use icon passing.
Actually the game does recognize who your pressing towards, look for the circle that pops up under the player to whom your pointing towards. That is the pass indicator, showing who the ball will go to. Not sure if you realized this was there, but you can see how fast the circle will go from player to player with even the tinniest amount of RS movement.

As for this type of pass; say your left wing and you want to pass to the right corner, but you have 1 player in-between, most people just want to press RS towards, but instead get a pass to the man in-between, what the user needs to do is realize that a hard press (all the way to the right [for ex]) to the corner will get the ball to him, while a medium press (say 50% from center RS to far right) will get the man in-between.

That is the easiest way to RS to a person far court (with others in the way).

Quote:
WHAT?! Why don't they have that kind of stuff in the full version? It's kinda like when you said you played 2K13 and instead of letter grades for the shots you had percentages.

They have an arrow to show where you are passing if you use manual passing in PES. Why don't they have it for 2K? That would be an IMMENSE help.
You could say that the pass indicator that comes up when pointing towards the receiver is similar. I would like to see a more noticeable indicator, maybe a brighter color or a flash, for ex.

I think a line/vision cone/arrow would be distracting in the sense that it would cover up the court action.

# 226 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/16/13 05:30 PM
Notice this:

Start at 20 seconds... upon the Westbrook bring up... look at how Durant gets a circle under him before the pass (the pass was made with "a" button), then notice upon the catch how Westbrook then gets a circle under him.

At that point, I have the option of pressing "a" to pass to Westbrook or I could RS towards him and get a manual pass. Of course the icon pass is the most direct/accurate, unless you master the RS angles. (not easy, due to players constantly moving around the court).

# 227 Da_Czar @ 08/16/13 05:54 PM
Quote:

Ha. They kind of do now. When moving on offense with the left stick you can see a white circle under the "player" your pointing to. If you press the pass button that is who the pass will go to. That's some more 2k hidden manna LOL game is deep man.

# 228 Optik @ 08/16/13 06:05 PM
Quote:
Ha. They kind of do now. When moving on offense with the left stick you can see a white circle under the "player" your pointing to. If you press the pass button that is who the pass will go to. That's some more 2k hidden manna LOL game is deep man.
Yeh, known that for a while, but the circles move so quickly. If they really implemented manual passing though it would mean that if you were pointing the stick out of bounds, it would actually just go straight out of bounds.

# 229 alabamarob @ 08/16/13 06:14 PM
Quote:
Yeh, known that for a while, but the circles move so quickly. If they really implemented manual passing though it would mean that if you were pointing the stick out of bounds, it would actually just go straight out of bounds.
Yep. Manual passing like pes would be a great option. I have always used icon passing. I like the option of moving one way while passing another way. I don't even know how to pass any other way. Icon passing is like right stick dribbling. I don't like things being tied to the left stick other than movement.

# 230 richlane007 @ 08/16/13 07:13 PM
Lol, the only problem with Icon passing is that when i'm playing my brother face to face and I get a rebound i call up the icons to start the break and he knows i'm about to pass. Same in the half court. We play each other ALOT and he knows my tendencies and if I use icon passing i'd average probably... 10 turnovers a half (5 min quarters).

I've never really had a problem with the passing, it's the rebounding i'm looking forward to. Against the computer i will usually get out offensive rebounded by 3:1 or 4:1. Even last night, Ed Davis, Gortat, Jeff Green all going for the basket but Jared Dudley comes down with it (OUT OF NOWHERE!). I usually shoot in the 60%+ so there's not a lot of offensive rebounds for me to get but i just sigh when the computer gets 4 or 5 OR's in a quarter on me.

# 231 KyotoCarl @ 08/16/13 08:05 PM
Quote:

You have that in the game but most people don't pay enough attention. You have a visible circle underneath the guy you passing to. You can see this circle buy most people don't pay enough attention to what they are actually doing to see this.

Sent using Tap a Talk

# 232 DaReapa @ 08/16/13 08:43 PM
"Improved Player Motion System"

I'll hold judgment until I actually witness this for myself. But so far, this is the most eargrabbing bit I've heard about the game. It has been the complete lack thereof that has turned me off the series. They just might pull me back in if this actually works as advertised.

# 233 Taer @ 08/17/13 06:04 AM
Quote:
You prob don't want to hear this as I thought it was BS also but when playing a debug build you can see where your stick was pressed on each pass... Rufly 90% of the time I had a complaint it was actually user error. I had pointed the stick in the wrong direction. The stick is almost too accurate because we rarely point the stick exactly where we think we do...
I really believe that if 2k just refined this control and allowed better emphasis in their release builds then directional passing would be more then sufficient for most people.

A simple way to quickly move the target reticule to the "next" target and "previous" target would complete the directional passing mechanic.

# 234 PJBrownHeat @ 08/17/13 07:19 AM
I really hope that Malone, Jordan will have a better free throw.

I really hope too than they will have better jump shot, dunk and lay up package!

It could be good a better pre-game intros.

I can't wait!!

Furthermore if european team arrive, it seems that 3 pt line is the same than 1995, 1996, and 1997 season, so maybe authentics classic court and please 2k without half circle in the paint ... Thanks you so much!!

# 235 SteboSSK @ 08/17/13 09:21 AM
Either they have something really great planned for Next Gen or the game is going to be a flop. They can't let live take off on them the first year like they did Live last gen.

# 236 KyotoCarl @ 08/17/13 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
I really believe that if 2k just refined this control and allowed better emphasis in their release builds then directional passing would be more then sufficient for most people.

A simple way to quickly move the target reticule to the "next" target and "previous" target would complete the directional passing mechanic.
If you read the list they've said they've enhanced the passing.
Since we complain about the passing every year must prove that it's harder than we think to have it work perfectly
Different people press the analog sticka in different ways and different directions so I don't know think it's something that can be universally fixed so that it works perfectly for everyone.

Sent using Tap a Talk

# 237 Taer @ 08/17/13 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
If you read the list they've said they've enhanced the passing. ...
2k has said that they've enhanced the passing. What exactly that means we have yet to fully see. As said before: the devil is in the details. Making new animations for "flashy" passes that work with the same efficiency as every other is not exactly "improving" passing in a significant way. We'll see eventually what they actually have improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Since we complain about the passing every year must prove that it's harder than we think to have it work perfectly
Different people press the analog sticka in different ways and different directions so I don't know think it's something that can be universally fixed so that it works perfectly for everyone.
They have said over the years that there are basic hard core issues with their passing system; perhaps this equation will change with increased nextgen capabilities.

Never-the-less, there are still things that can be done to help right now: For example, the indicator telling us who is receiving the pass can be enhanced. Perhaps the yellow circle that is used in play-calling can be used to better highlight the intended receiver. Or make it a bright red circle instead of a black/grey circle that blends in with many arena floors...

As I said in the quote above you just need to make it sufficient for most people - not perfect for everyone.

# 238 Boilerbuzz @ 08/17/13 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
They have said over the years that there are basic hard core issues with their passing system; perhaps this equation will change with increased nextgen capabilities.

Never-the-less, there are still things that can be done to help right now: For example, the indicator telling us who is receiving the pass can be enhanced. Perhaps the yellow circle that is used in play-calling can be used to better highlight the intended receiver. Or make it a bright red circle instead of a black/grey circle that blends in with many arena floors...

As I said in the quote above you just need to make it sufficient for most people - not perfect for everyone.
The biggest problem with that aspect of passing is that there are just FAR too many different ways and reasons people pass the ball. It because mind reading because no particular solution is that much better than the next. It's not about CPU power. It's about finding a balance. But there are passing issues that go beyond getting the guy you meant to pass to - picking the pass that looks right for the situation. That isn't easy either.

# 239 voodoo_magic @ 08/18/13 06:13 PM
I think they forgot to put this on the list.
Sim to any part of the game and play.

Every other sports game has it, why does 2k not have this in?

# 240 Elesalove880 @ 08/18/13 09:06 PM
So Creating a Legend isn't coming back? I didn't see it on the list....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.