Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

NBA 2K14 Producer Erick Boenisch (AKA SimBaller), has confirmed classic teams will return to NBA 2K14 (post #200). More details will be revealed at a later date. Some of you may have already been aware of the news, but for those that were not, you can calm down.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 XXstormmXX @ 08/19/13 06:03 PM
They should do Miami when they had Tim Hardaway.

# 42 Mintsa @ 08/19/13 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
They should do Miami when they had Tim Hardaway.
Or even better when he was with Golden State.....wait minute......

# 43 lockdownD @ 08/19/13 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Look forward to finally blocking some shots with Mt. Mutombo!

It would be awesome if they added his finger wave after he blocked some shots.

# 44 VDusen04 @ 08/19/13 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Look forward to finally blocking some shots with Mt. Mutombo!
Man, I hope so. I just used the Nuggets again yesterday afternoon. Deke is absolutely hapless. At least with Hakeem and David, they have their offense to fall back upon. When a guy who's only known for his shot blocking can't block shots though? That's a problem.

# 45 martymcflyy85 @ 08/19/13 06:47 PM
Classic teams are the only reason I buy this game. Hopefully it doesn't all revolve around Lebron.

I hope they give you the ability to customize classic team arena music and sounds. Never understood why this was only an option in current teams only.

I would also like for them to remove some of the duplicate classic teams and replace them with some of the missing ones (Miller's Pacers, Barkley's Suns, 80's Mavs, etc. etc)

# 46 LoSoisNiCEx414 @ 08/19/13 06:56 PM
Steve Francis
Marbury aka starbury
Yao
T Mac -Magic
VC -Raptors
Dr J
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen - Sonics
Rafer "Skip To my Lou" Alston Heat (Bronze)
Sir Charles-Suns
KG -Wolves
B.Diddy -Hornets
A.Walker-Celtics

# 47 tarek @ 08/19/13 07:19 PM
Forget classic teams, what is the hold up for classic seasons? or a historic career mode?

# 48 Trackball @ 08/19/13 07:20 PM
Look, I like the classic teams as much as the next guy, but...if there's even ONE missing player, you know people here are going to raise a fuss.

Of course I know why players go missing in the first place: 2K and VC couldn't agree to a deal to use their names and likenesses (to the point of rendering them unmentionable in commentary, like what happened with Chris Webber).

So, my question is, why doesn't 2K just use classic individual players, instead of entire teams?

That's what Madden does--you can play as any of the available legends, AS ROOKIES, with their attributes lowered to the points they were at upon entry to the league. In fact, 2K did this in 2K11 with MJ: CAL, and I loved it.

Yeah, it will suck to lose the rest of the players on those teams...but you have to look at this from a practical perspective.

2K has to negotiate with each individual player to use them. Remember the fuss that was raised when the Dream Team was announced for 2K13, but it didn't have Scottie Pippen? That's because they couldn't agree to terms.

Of course, the fans then deluged Pippen with emails telling him to sign on, and he wound up doing so, but do you really think this will work with every single player? It didn't work for Eric Snow of the 2001 Sixers--and we OSers wound up complaining about him being missing.

If we want classic teams, it's all players or no players. But does anyone here really want to play as Mel Counts? Seriously?

So I propose that 2K only negotiate with the stars that we all want. That way, they might actually SAVE money in the long run, by not bothering with second/third-stringers no one wants to use anyway. That would allow them to go after guys like Kareem and Webber again, as well as have some extra money to use on others like Reggie.

And most importantly, have them as rookies. I want to know if a rookie Wilt Chamberlain could still rock the house like he did in 1959.

I'm sure it's too late to do it this year, but I can wait another year.

# 49 VDusen04 @ 08/19/13 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Look, I like the classic teams as much as the next guy, but...if there's even ONE missing player, you know people here are going to raise a fuss.

Of course I know why players go missing in the first place: 2K and VC couldn't agree to a deal to use their names and likenesses (to the point of rendering them unmentionable in commentary, like what happened with Chris Webber).

So, my question is, why doesn't 2K just use classic individual players, instead of entire teams?

That's what Madden does--you can play as any of the available legends, AS ROOKIES, with their attributes lowered to the points they were at upon entry to the league. In fact, 2K did this in 2K11 with MJ: CAL, and I loved it.

Yeah, it will suck to lose the rest of the players on those teams...but you have to look at this from a practical perspective.

2K has to negotiate with each individual player to use them. Remember the fuss that was raised when the Dream Team was announced for 2K13, but it didn't have Scottie Pippen? That's because they couldn't agree to terms.

Of course, the fans then deluged Pippen with emails telling him to sign on, and he wound up doing so, but do you really think this will work with every single player? It didn't work for Eric Snow of the 2001 Sixers--and we OSers wound up complaining about him being missing.

If we want classic teams, it's all players or no players. But does anyone here really want to play as Mel Counts? Seriously?

So I propose that 2K only negotiate with the stars that we all want. That way, they might actually SAVE money in the long run, by not bothering with second/third-stringers no one wants to use anyway. That would allow them to go after guys like Kareem and Webber again, as well as have some extra money to use on others like Reggie.

And most importantly, have them as rookies. I want to know if a rookie Wilt Chamberlain could still rock the house like he did in 1959.

I'm sure it's too late to do it this year, but I can wait another year.
With complete and absolute respect, I wholeheartedly do not support your proposal.

I feel limiting classics to individual stars very nearly defeats the entire purpose for many, if not most, retro zealots. Individual legends have been available in NBA 2K for years, largely as a part of All-Decade Teams. At one point, these legends were locked to their All-Decade rosters. At other times, they were free to be moved about. Even as a self-proclaimed big time retro guy, that manner of classics was nearly useless. It'd be akin to removing the 2014 Thunder from NBA 2K14 and saying, "Guess what guys! We still have Kevin Durant! And you can place him anywhere!"

The only true use gained from the inclusion of individual legends pre-full classic teams came when I mustered up enough time and patience to create my own versions of classic teams to paint around a given star (I'd create Sean Elliott, Avery Johnson and company by hand to place around David Robinson after I'd assign him to the current Spurs and release all the current players).

Of course, you mentioned including these legends as rookies. I understand that is different than the former method of individual inclusion. There's a small sense of novelty there but again, for me (and likely most others), that novelty would wear off mighty quick. I understand the neat fantasy factor of placing a rookie Hakeem Olajuwon next to Dwight Howard in Houston. But again, that's just fantasy. There's absolutely, positively no sense of realism and immersion, two things many gamers love to see in NBA simulation titles.

In terms of negotiating with players, I'm still not clear on the entire process, but I do believe there's a retired players association with which 2K may be able to negotiate en masse for the rights to use the likenesses of many players at once. I may be off on the specifics, but I'm not sure the negotiating process is as individualized and complicated for a Greg Foster as it is for a Scottie Pippen.

I also disagree with your statement, "If we want classic teams, it's all players or no players." That couldn't be further from the truth. It was a bummer to lose Chris Webber and company for 2K13, but at least we had the ability to create them ourselves (or better yet, download someone else's better creation off of 2KShare) so we could plug those guys seamlessly back within their teams (with all their signature shots still in tact). Admittedly, Abdul-Jabbar was the toughest to pull off due to the lack of a goggles option but otherwise, adding realistic looking versions of Eric Snow and Nick Van Exel and company wasn't too rough of a go. 8-10 real players per team is a gift. It surely beats the heck out of 1 player.

To summarize, classic teams are kind of the point. Shawn Kemp playing in Oklahoma City alongside Reggie Jackson can only make sense for so long. The teammates, the jerseys, the logos, the floors.... it's all a part of the deal. If I have to make my own Steve Scheffler along the way? So be it.

P.S. Oddly enough, Mel Counts was my go-to guy in my very first game of 2K12. To be very honest, I loved using non-stars on each classic team. What did I know about Mel Counts before 2K12? Using those teams were a ton of fun and educational.

# 50 jd@os @ 08/19/13 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Look, I like the classic teams as much as the next guy, but...if there's even ONE missing player, you know people here are going to raise a fuss...

It's not just a classic team thing; if you read the Roster Update threads, people raised a fuss about missing players on CURRENT teams even more.

And saving money in the long run isn't going to allow them to go after some missing stars. For some of the stars that many people have been wanting--like Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller--it's not about money or more of it; it's about the principle. Barkley didn't want his likeness in the game--it's not about money for him. 2K might offer him the farm and someone in Barkley's financial situation could still say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 51 kevmasood @ 08/19/13 09:11 PM
Very HAPPY, LOVE THE CLASSICS,,, yea once the OLD SKOOL GYS, says ''NO'' thats pretty much it, 2k can throw the farm and the sink at them, thats pretty much it, and on another note, 2k told us in 2k13 that , we was able to play as CLASSICS ONLINE, but it was with freinds, not random, i really HOPE, 2k doesnt do this in 2k14, in 2k12 it was a LOT OF FUN ONLINE, with the CLASSICS, some real good BASKETBALL , was played.........

# 52 DJ @ 08/19/13 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Those would be some great additions. And I know this is likely hopeless, but I'm kind of wishing 2KShare would be a little less finnicky in 2K14, allowing for roster transfers akin to 2K11 and 2K12. So many conditions seemed to result in a freeze this year and I know that was likely by design, but I feel roster creations should be embraced, not limited. The subsequent lack of depth really put a damper on replay value for me this year.
Absolutely. That was one of the things I appreciated about 2K was they embraced roster sharing. They started putting restrictions on editing 2 years ago but it wasn't until last year that they really jacked up 2K Share to the point it wasn't even serviceable.

# 53 23 @ 08/19/13 09:29 PM
With a more defined and better CAP and more space to add CAPs this would only be half a problem.

Glad the classics are still there. Here's hoping to the UBR guys do another blowout on so many teams like 2k12

# 54 DJ @ 08/19/13 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
With a more defined and better CAP and more space to add CAPs this would only be half a problem.

Glad the classics are still there. Here's hoping to the UBR guys do another blowout on so many teams like 2k12
Yep. 2K12 and 11 had so many amazing rosters. I still play both games because of those rosters. I traded in 2K13 because the classic rosters weren't being made.

# 55 VDusen04 @ 08/19/13 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yep. 2K12 and 11 had so many amazing rosters. I still play both games because of those rosters. I traded in 2K13 because the classic rosters weren't being made.
I just went back to 2K12 this evening. I probably should have made the move in February. I'd just never really had the urge to go back to an earlier 2K before this year. Some things are missing (manual bounce passes) but they seem to be compensated by what I re-gained (full and robust 1991 and 1995 rosters, blocked dunks, the ability to reach randomly without being whistled for a foul, etc.).

I always kind of figured the 2KShare restrictions were a means of preventing hidden players getting spread all about and whatnot. I wish 2K would at least completely flesh out their throwback jerseys, improve their create-a-player, and maybe throw a court editor out there with classic logo options. That way, the creation process is entirely on us, not necessarily dependent on glitching the game to get what we're looking for and whatnot (as was done with the Sunblast jerseys and hidden DLC legends in 2K12).

# 56 MarvinOida @ 08/19/13 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

Haven't you followed RayRay? He's trying to make a UBR-roster for Xbox/PS3. Not really 260+ Teams but, 30 NBA Teams, all Classic Teams edited, and adding the most requested from his Super 80s (80+ Classic Teams) Ultimate 1990s, and Best of 2Ks roster.

I don't think 2K will do a roster like UBR, since the amount of art is over a GB, maybe 2. And the $$$ involved.

Tap Tap Taptalking away on my iPhone

# 57 The 24th Letter @ 08/19/13 11:06 PM
Can we get Dr. J back please?

# 58 MarvinOida @ 08/19/13 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Can we get Dr. J back please?
Its all possible, since Dr J now has that documentary and created hype when dunking at 63, but wouldn't be surprised if he said...

Spoiler

Or....

Spoiler

The Doc has been in 2K since forever, but only recently backed out of 2K13, so its a toss up.

# 59 mrbigshot @ 08/19/13 11:27 PM
PLEASE dismiss those pointless celebrity based teams. Just getting rid of that team and replacing it with a true classic team would give us more content for the classics. celebrities are entertainers, not basketball players. nobody wants to dominate with justin bieber and Pauly D, come on.

# 60 mvspree8 @ 08/19/13 11:57 PM
KG/Spree/Cassell T-Wolves please.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.