Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 nemesis04 @ 03/06/14 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
I don't think anyone is trying to rain on the parade of online franchise. It's just weird that most of this stuff wouldn't be available in both modes. It doesn't make sense for a new mode to leap frog the normal offline mode in terms of features.
It has already been explained that while they share a lot it was not a simple copy and paste type of situation. There is language differences between the two. Considering the online portion is newer it was probably an easier transition to get those items included. To me it sounds like it was more design obstacles as apposed to design direction of just not including it.

# 122 brettryantalley @ 03/06/14 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Duke
So how much is the ps+ B.S.? Is this just for the ps4 or the ps3 as well. Forgive me I don't have internet to my ps3 right now so I don't know much about online play.
got mine for $30 on black friday. not sure what normal cost is.

# 123 brettryantalley @ 03/06/14 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballphanatic
a few things:

3) I didn't c this but is Online franchise going to have carry over saves to MLB15 and so on?
i'm still not sure about this one...but very curious.

# 124 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 10:39 AM
Quote:
So how much is the ps+ B.S.? Is this just for the ps4 or the ps3 as well. Forgive me I don't have internet to my ps3 right now so I don't know much about online play.
$50 a year...for both systems(with the same account).....
Tons of free games....online storage.
It's a plus plus(plus! )

No brainer IMO

M.K.
Knight165

# 125 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
$10 for a month $18 for 3 months or $50 a year

# 126 nusie @ 03/06/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
$50 a year...for both systems(with the same account).....
Tons of free games....
Outlast on PS4 pays for that subscription flat out. In fact, I'm picking my renewal up for $34.99 today because I have $15 in Reward Zone certs at Best Buy.

# 127 nemesis04 @ 03/06/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettryantalley
got mine for $30 on black friday. not sure what normal cost is.
Yeah, if you wait you can get it for $30. I bought 3 of them at that price and they stack so I am good for the next 3 years. I think for what they have to offer the value is fantastic.

# 128 gmax57 @ 03/06/14 10:45 AM
Curious about a quote from the Bleacher Report source article when developers were asked if fantasy drafts were in this year's online franchise mode:

"Absolutely. Users can create a new online franchise with draft set to on … allowing 6-30 users to hold a full fantasy draft."

Is this implying that fantasy drafts are user team only? Just curious if anyone had some insight.

# 129 HustlinOwl @ 03/06/14 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmax57
Curious about a quote from the Bleacher Report source article when developers were asked if fantasy drafts were in this year's online franchise mode:

"Absolutely. Users can create a new online franchise with draft set to on … allowing 6-30 users to hold a full fantasy draft."

Is this implying that fantasy drafts are user team only? Just curious if anyone had some insight.
For MLB13 this wasnt the case CPU/AI teams would draft, but not very good

# 130 SoxFan01605 @ 03/06/14 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I guess it depends on how you look at it. It could also be said that online has finally been brought up to speed to where offline has been for many years. Obviously with it being new it has some bells and whistles not found in offline franchise. Each year a portion of the game gets more attention then another whether it be RTTS, Franchise, online etc. It does not mean the other modes sit there and collect dust, they are tweaked and messaged accordingly. I would assume based on past online usage with the Show it warranted this type of attention and direction.
I have no issue with online getting attention and am fully aware of how much some guys have eaten it in terms of comparative features/quality for awhile, so this is more explanation than complaint, but some of the frustration (at least for me) is that franchise mode has gotten nothing but tweaks and fixes (and removals with the hopes of future fixes) for awhile now.

Not only that, but some of the tweaks and fixes are to fix problems caused by previous tweaks and fixes...lol. Hell, even one of the better features being added for 14 is actually a retread (midseason staff hiring/firing) from before the previous bigger franchise retooling. So to see some wishlist items make it only for online is like being taunted in a way...lol.

Again, to be clear (for the more zealous fans among us ), I understand the need to bring online up to speed and have no issue with that. I also understand the effort that was made to try to get some crossover to online and the constraints that made it a no-go, so I'm not up in arms or anything (and I definitely appreciate the frank answers over the evasive nonsense we get from some other devs). Just providing a perspective on why it is still disappointing, is all.

Anyway, my boo-hoos aside, while not for me, these are certainly nice additions overall. Hopefully they find their way offline by '15 and my annual "maybe next year" franchise wishlist will start seeing some boxes checked!

# 131 nemesis04 @ 03/06/14 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I have no issue with online getting attention and am fully aware of how much some guys have eaten it in terms of comparative features/quality for awhile, so this is more explanation than complaint, but some of the frustration (at least for me) is that franchise mode has gotten nothing but tweaks and fixes (and removals with the hopes of future fixes) for awhile now.

Not only that, but some of the tweaks and fixes are to fix problems caused by previous tweaks and fixes...lol. Hell, even one of the better features being added for 14 is actually a retread (midseason staff hiring/firing) from before the previous bigger franchise retooling. So to see some wishlist items make it only for online is like being taunted in a way...lol.

Again, to be clear (for the more zealous fans among us ), I understand the need to bring online up to speed and have no issue with that. I also understand the effort that was made to try to get some crossover to online and the constraints that made it a no-go, so I'm not up in arms or anything (and I definitely appreciate the frank answers over the evasive nonsense we get from some other devs). Just providing a perspective on why it is still disappointing, is all.

Anyway, my boo-hoos aside, while not for me, these are certainly nice additions overall. Hopefully they find their way offline by '15 and my annual "maybe next year" franchise wishlist will start seeing some boxes checked!
Nice post SoxFan, all valid points!

# 132 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 12:08 PM
Quote:

I agree....almost wholeheartedly....
But I can definitely see this as being a bit of a problem with the end users who are online/offline....if the new logic written in for online is that much better than the offline logic.
Talk about lineups
Talk about trades and just how the CPU is handling it's signings and off season moves.
For me....I've come to embrace 30 team control and a "whatever happens" approach to my franchise past year 1....but that's me.
I'm playing devil's advocate here....because I can sympathize with the users who might be a little more disappointed in this.

M.K.
Knight165

# 133 seanjeezy @ 03/06/14 12:25 PM
Quote:

Ditto, I basically asked Ramone earlier in this thread if there were any plans for more than just "tweaks and fixes" (for me its expanded rosters and the draft+IFA's) and didn't get a response. An OOTP style franchise mode with The Show's graphics and gameplay is the dream and I hope we see it some time in the next 5-6 years...

# 134 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Ditto, I basically asked Ramone earlier in this thread if there were any plans for more than just "tweaks and fixes" (for me its expanded rosters and the draft+IFA's) and didn't get a response. An OOTP style franchise mode with The Show's graphics and gameplay is the dream and I hope we see it some time in the next 5-6 years...
I'm sure we will see expanded options and additions to franchise mode in future versions.
It's the base of the game.
If you mean for this year....no way they are adding anything "new"(I don't want to be that guy....but perhaps some of the online improvements missing from offline this year can be added via an update)...but as far as writing in new code for '14....definitely not.
If you mean for '15 and beyond?......I'm nearly 100% sure things like this will be added. That's just from talking to Aaron/Luis and Lance about how they envision franchise mode to be. They have some really, really great ideas on the direction. They just need the time to implement them.

M.K.
Knight165

# 135 dave724 @ 03/06/14 12:37 PM
Sorry to keep pointing out the important question first asked by me on the 5th page of this thread, but will online franchise carry over to the next versions of the game MLB 15, 16 etc???... if not this whole discussion is mostly useless, and it makes the "online franchise" a mere online temporary short termed season mode. With the ability of carry over for the offline iteration being implemented, it will all but guarantee people would choose an option they can at the very least have a future with "offline"...

# 136 seanjeezy @ 03/06/14 12:41 PM
Quote:
I'm sure we will see expanded options and additions to franchise mode in future versions.
It's the base of the game.
If you mean for this year....no way they are adding anything "new"(I don't want to be that guy....but perhaps some of the online improvements missing from offline this year can be added via an update)...but as far as writing in new code for '14....definitely not.
If you mean for '15 and beyond?......I'm nearly 100% sure things like this will be added. That's just from talking to Aaron/Luis and Lance about how they envision franchise mode to be. They have some really, really great ideas on the direction. They just need the time to implement them.

M.K.
Knight165
Yep, definitely for '15 and beyond... Thanks Knight

# 137 tessl @ 03/06/14 01:29 PM
Quote:
I disagree...
Not at all.
The mode was not created or developed with the single player in mind....but the fact that they had the forethought to allow just one user to start the league.....maybe hope for guys to join.....just reap the benefits ...etc.
Offline still has some things that online doesn't....it's close but not exactly the same....one being manage only mode...another could be saved games.

I seriously doubt that the online/offline franchise mode is what "held up" this game in terms of release.
The enormity of a new game "held up" the release...and I'm guessing stadiums were the largest contributing factor.

M.K.
Knight165
You probably didn't see my other post - does that include the ps4? The reason I ask you is because you seem to have more information than I.

I'm not a bit upset as long as MoM is available for the ps4 and although I'd probably pay the extra cash to play online, offline is fine.

For me, they have made some major improvements to offline franchise. Online got more love but offline got a big hug. Maybe I'm just easier to please than some.

Regarding online franchise, I was involved in something similar years ago with Tony LaRussa baseball when my son and several of his buddies all got in a league together. They would play on my computer in my basement. It was not online obviously but similar in that there were several user controlled teams. The biggest problem was getting people's personal schedules aligned so they could play their games. If one guy goes on vacation or something similar and the whole league grinds to a halt unless you sim and not everybody wanted to do that. By the time the season ended most of the guys had lost interest. They were teenagers who not surprisingly found more exciting things to do but there were hurdles in that experience which I can see cropping up in mlbts online franchises. You need dedicated, hard core franchise guys who are willing to set aside time for the game to make it work. Similar to fantasy baseball, not everybody who wants to join in April will still be interested in August. One other thing - you need a commissioner willing to make some tough decisions on trades. People can and will try to rip off the cpu on trades. One way to do it is put it up for vote but inevitably there will be disgruntled people.

# 138 JoeCoolMan24 @ 03/06/14 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Think when they say 6 players meaning there needs to be a minimum of 6 teams in the draft whether its AI or Human controlled, so no 12345 team fantasy drafts.
You are telling me that I can start a franchise with only 15 teams in the entire league? I can just eliminate the entire National League from existence? That doesn't seem right.

# 139 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
You probably didn't see my other post - does that include the ps4? The reason I ask you is because you seem to have more information than I.

I'm not a bit upset as long as MoM is available for the ps4 and although I'd probably pay the extra cash to play online, offline is fine.

For me, they have made some major improvements to offline franchise. Online got more love but offline got a big hug. Maybe I'm just easier to please than some.

Regarding online franchise, I was involved in something similar years ago with Tony LaRussa baseball when my son and several of his buddies all got in a league together. They would play on my computer in my basement. It was not online obviously but similar in that there were several user controlled teams. The biggest problem was getting people's personal schedules aligned so they could play their games. If one guy goes on vacation or something similar and the whole league grinds to a halt unless you sim and not everybody wanted to do that. By the time the season ended most of the guys had lost interest. They were teenagers who not surprisingly found more exciting things to do but there were hurdles in that experience which I can see cropping up in mlbts online franchises. You need dedicated, hard core franchise guys who are willing to set aside time for the game to make it work. Similar to fantasy baseball, not everybody who wants to join in April will still be interested in August. One other thing - you need a commissioner willing to make some tough decisions on trades. People can and will try to rip off the cpu on trades. One way to do it is put it up for vote but inevitably there will be disgruntled people.
I haven't seen the PS4 version yet....but I would definitely say that MoM is in the offline franchise.
Ramone wouldn't give me a heart attack like that.

M.K.
Knight165

# 140 JoeCoolMan24 @ 03/06/14 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmax57

This was my question as well because I don't have 5 other friends who will buy this game. To me, this reads that I can't do an online franchise w/ a fantasy draft until there are at least 6 human players participating.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.