Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballphanatic
If you can tell me how you guys merge 30 teams from 30 different users editing rosters then I can def help. I was planning on doing all 30 myself but if there is a way to merge rosters to one then you can either assign me a team or a whole division as I will have nothing but free time come April!
Definitely post in the roster section....specifically the recruiting thread.
We'll get you going in there.
We always appreciate the help to get the set done quickly and efficiently.

The way we do it is....you would edit the team you are assigned....send the roster file to me(or RidinDwnKingsley).....and we export all the players you created/edited.
We then import them onto the master roster.
We do that for all the editors helping out and that's the way we can combine everyone's work into the set.
It's great.(how it works...)

M.K.
Knight165

# 162 baseballphanatic @ 03/06/14 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Definitely post in the roster section....specifically the recruiting thread.
We'll get you going in there.
We always appreciate the help to get the set done quickly and efficiently.

The way we do it is....you would edit the team you are assigned....send the roster file to me(or RidinDwnKingsley).....and we export all the players you created/edited.
We then import them onto the master roster.
We do that for all the editors helping out and that's the way we can combine everyone's work into the set.
It's great.(how it works...)

M.K.
Knight165
ok thanks for clearing that up. I replied on the thread

# 163 Qrusher14242 @ 03/06/14 10:19 PM
Disappointing to read the changes that are only for online franchises Mainly more stats and lineup logic. Not gonna do online franchise, don't care for that.

# 164 bwiggy33 @ 03/06/14 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
Disappointing to read the changes that are only for online franchises Mainly more stats and lineup logic. Not gonna do online franchise, don't care for that.
For now they are just for Online franchise. It doesn't mean it's not making it into offline franchise this year though. The developers stated that they are still trying to work on getting some or maybe all of these additions into offline as well.

# 165 Knight165 @ 03/06/14 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
For now they are just for Online franchise. It doesn't mean it's not making it into offline franchise this year though. The developers stated that they are still trying to work on getting some or maybe all of these additions into offline as well.
Actually Ramone has posted it's too late to take the chances to write the new code into the game at this point.

M.K.
Knight165

# 166 bwiggy33 @ 03/06/14 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Actually Ramone has posted it's too late to take the chances to write the new code into the game at this point.

M.K.
Knight165
Ok thank you. I didn't read the past couple pages so that's where I went wrong. That's too bad but it is what it is. I have fun with franchise anyway so it won't be too big of a deal. If we didn't have 30 team control it would be a completely different story though.

# 167 twinsfan34 @ 03/07/14 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
This?
``````````````````

```````````````````````
Yes sir!

Thank you.

That's a little more encouraging for some possible changes in the next week or so. [edit: nevermind]

Hmmm...

And makes more sense now that the game is written in two different languages...and thus why it wasn't on both. As it would be very easy (public vs private, calling methods/functions, etc) to make it available to offline if the same language.

# 168 twinsfan34 @ 03/07/14 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
I believe you are correct. This is true for the PS4
Yea, I can't find a PS+ being required for the PS3 to play online.

# 169 RyanLaFalce @ 03/07/14 01:58 AM
If anyone is looking for an online franchise, mine is about half full right now. Looking to get a full list of players before May.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

# 170 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 09:35 AM
Generated Pitch Counts in Online franchise, this feature can be turned on or off prior to game and is not an actual league setting correct?

# 171 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
If anyone is looking for an online franchise, mine is about half full right now. Looking to get a full list of players before May.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
I would suggest a lot of tryout games, with an influx of new players to online and online franchise I can guarantee a lot of guys will be humbled when playing online and may quickly realize they are not as good as they think and decide online (competition) is not for them

# 172 MrOldboy @ 03/07/14 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
I would suggest a lot of tryout games, with an influx of new players to online and online franchise I can guarantee a lot of guys will be humbled when playing online and may quickly realize they are not as good as they think and decide online (competition) is not for them
Looking at MLB 13 online stats might help as those who were into online in the past will likely be interested in online this year.

I honestly don't really think online franchise will be the thing that gets people to dive head first into online (PVP). Sure some may be enticed into trying online franchise who didn't play online in the past, but I don't think the numbers will show a huge jump of new online players this year. We might see some extra new people because of people switching to PS4 since there's no guarantee those people owned a PS3 and played The Show on it.

Also with the PS+ requirement, you might actually lose some players that do not want to pay for PS+. Not everyone sees the value in PS+ and see it more as a requirement for online and not a subscription to free games and other benefits.

# 173 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Looking at MLB 13 online stats might help as those who were into online in the past will likely be interested in online this year.

I honestly don't really think online franchise will be the thing that gets people to dive head first into online (PVP). Sure some may be enticed into trying online franchise who didn't play online in the past, but I don't think the numbers will show a huge jump of new online players this year. We might see some extra new people because of people switching to PS4 since there's no guarantee those people owned a PS3 and played The Show on it.

Also with the PS+ requirement, you might actually lose some players that do not want to pay for PS+. Not everyone sees the value in PS+ and see it more as a requirement for online and not a subscription to free games and other benefits.
then they won't be in online franchise???

# 174 MrOldboy @ 03/07/14 10:26 AM
Quote:
then they won't be in online franchise???
I'm responding mostly to this statement.

Quote:
with an influx of new players to online and online franchise
I don't see there being an influx of new players to online. An increase, sure, but I don't see it being a huge amount of new people.

# 175 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 10:55 AM
Quote:
Generated Pitch Counts in Online franchise, this feature can be turned on or off prior to game and is not an actual league setting correct?
From TSN, guess pro and con "quick counts" cant coexist
Quote:
a Commish/Admin has the power of turning it On or Off during creation that automatically rules out any other member from activating/deactivating this feature

# 176 mmorg @ 03/07/14 12:56 PM
So once you start an online Franchise you can't toggle the quick counts option on or off? Or is that just conjecture?

# 177 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
So once you start an online Franchise you can't toggle the quick counts option on or off? Or is that just conjecture?
Hopefully similar to fastplay/broadcast commish can turn on/off as needed

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

# 178 ahuffman @ 03/07/14 03:04 PM
Ugh, I hate feeling left out as an offline player. It seems like more and more the offline players get the shaft. I hope that these omissions were due to lack of time and will be added next year. Just so frustrating for me. A single team online franchise is not a good option for me either as I like to control all the teams. Still looking forward to the game regardless.

# 179 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuffman
Ugh, I hate feeling left out as an offline player. It seems like more and more the offline players get the shaft. I hope that these omissions were due to lack of time and will be added next year. Just so frustrating for me. A single team online franchise is not a good option for me either as I like to control all the teams. Still looking forward to the game regardless.
Can control all 30 with online franchise, however no word yet on if online franchise files are transferable to MLB15 MLB16 etc

# 180 TGov @ 03/07/14 03:58 PM
Quote:
Can control all 30 with online franchise, however no word yet on if online franchise files are transferable to MLB15 MLB16 etc
My only problem with that is what if you dont have a strong internet connection or one at all? And even if you do, wouldnt the usual problems still exist like it being laggy???
Or is it at all possible to control all 30 teams online but actually play offline as there wouldnt be a need to be online in the first place? (Hope that wasnt confusing)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.