Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Jon Robinson, over at SI Extra Mustard, has posted an interesting MLB 14 The Show article on how Buster Posey and Brandon Phillips helped with the improvements on the Road to the Show mode. In the article, Phillips also reveals something he calls the "Showtime" button, a nice little detail that could make its way to MLB 15 The Show, according to Ramone Russell.

Quote:
"There needs to be a button to make bare-handed attempts,” says Phillips. “It should be called the ‘Showtime’ button or something like that, where you can not only pick up the ball barehanded, but you can attempt other trademark moves like flipping the ball between your legs or behind your back for a double play. Anything highlight-worthy would be on this button. It would be like baseball’s version of the freestyle button.”

The proposal brings a huge grin to Russell’s face. “A button to bare-hand the ball is a great idea,” he says. “Especially if it has a high risk/reward component. That way, you might do something amazing, but you also risk making a costly error. I’m putting it on the list for next year."

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ShowTyme15 @ 03/28/14 03:11 PM
Really good read.

# 2 ryanmc564 @ 03/28/14 03:22 PM
surely the image on the right isn't suppose to be buster posey? haven't read the article yet

# 3 Heroesandvillains @ 03/28/14 03:31 PM
The "Show"time (get it? ) button is a brilliant idea!

That should:

A. Be the name of it. For obvious reasons.
B. Be in the game whenever the Devs nail it down.

NBA 2K has a similar feature, however the user can't really control it. Though I do love the realism.

Adding that and the ability to choose when would be phenominal.

# 4 seanjeezy @ 03/28/14 04:01 PM
Great article, some quality stuff in there!

Remember fielding with the right analog stick in MVP? Something similar would be amazing.

It's really cool that they asked CC about his repertoire. Just to let you know CC, if you would've used my pitch edits you would've had a 2-seam all along, and I didn't even need to ask you about it

Just goes to show you that there really needs to be a human element when determining pitch types since the computer algorithms are bound to certain parameters...

# 5 Feliz__7 @ 03/28/14 04:02 PM
What made me laugh was CC told Russell "...my 2-seam fastball breaks like this"! For all we know he could've told him it breaks 6ft! I know he didn't but that would be funny!
The "showtime" button, awesome idea!
Great article! Can't wait till MLB 15 the Show (and 14 hasn't even came out yet)! Lol

# 6 HustlinOwl @ 03/28/14 04:08 PM
Showtime would be cool if implemented properly I dont want Uggla trying any spectacular plays at 2B of course tied to ratings, but again steer away from the signature skills model that NBA 2K has.

# 7 Will I Am @ 03/28/14 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
surely the image on the right isn't suppose to be buster posey? haven't read the article yet
Yeah the pic on the right doesn't look like him at all, the one on the left does.

# 8 ryanmc564 @ 03/28/14 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
Yeah the pic on the right doesn't look like him at all, the one on the left does.
I'm curious if there is limitations on the player models to where they have to alter the shape or features of the player head scan, I mean the picture doesn't totally not look like Posey but there are things that are off about it.

# 9 metsfan4life1 @ 03/28/14 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
I'm curious if there is limitations on the player models to where they have to alter the shape or features of the player head scan, I mean the picture doesn't totally not look like Posey but there are things that are off about it.
Yeah, that doesn't look too much like Posey. But it looks like an older version, so in all probability, he looks much better now. As long as the faces look as good as they did before, but more life like (due to the power of the PS4) then I'll be excited for this years game (graphics rise). But if they don't look substantially better in a few years, then I'd be disappointed.

# 10 MrOldboy @ 03/28/14 05:01 PM
Showtime button would be nice, but only in that it would add more flamboyant animations to the fielding. I think I'd rather that these animations only express themselves when a player has high fielding ratings, but have them trigger automatically when the situation calls for it. If its another button I feel like many players may not get to use/see those animations.

Would be even better if you could assign them by player similar to the stance options. Like mentioned about you wouldn't want someone like Uggla to have the ability to do these so having a way to disable them in the editor would be awesome.

# 11 tnixen @ 03/28/14 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am

I think the screenshot on the far right is from the PS3 version.

# 12 Grnngld @ 03/28/14 05:05 PM
It would be interesting if implemented correctly. Currently, the "bare hand" double play animation occurs far too frequently. Second basemen rarely barehand the throw to turn a double play which I see about once per game.

# 13 ryanmc564 @ 03/28/14 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I think the screenshot on the far right is from the PS3 version.
I was wondering that too.

# 14 MrOldboy @ 03/28/14 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnngld
It would be interesting if implemented correctly. Currently, the "bare hand" double play animation occurs far too frequently. Second basemen rarely barehand the throw to turn a double play which I see about once per game.
Yeah, I posted how I didn't like this last year and got shut down by Ramone. Not sure why it got tossed asside since I feel its a completely valid point/complaint and looks awful with how frequent it happens if you ask me. Its a rare occurance in the MLB, yet it happens constantly in The Show.

# 15 ThaShark28_316 @ 03/28/14 05:25 PM
Slowly going the route of Madden. I said it....

# 16 bluengold34_OS @ 03/28/14 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
You said it - now can you explain it?

# 17 JoeCoolMan24 @ 03/28/14 05:33 PM
That is actually a really cool idea that I would totally use in blowout games, or with super flashy players. The OF version of this would probably be when an OF will barehand a one-hop basehit in order to throw the ball off quicker.

Another "showtime" option for in IF could be a gloveflip, like the great play that Alexei Ramirez made his rookie year as a 2B....

http://m.mlb.com/video/v3182512/rami...from-his-glove

Also, love that Brandon Phillips took that "Showtime" catch phrase from Hawk Harrelson when a Sox player makes a slick play.

Like this...

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/5123144...stop/?c_id=mlb

or...

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31694435/mig...sion/?c_id=mlb

# 18 SK8RAK3NROLL @ 03/28/14 05:33 PM
Showtime button... IM ALL IN... thats what he said ... GO BLUE!!!!!! ..... Goin to the dive bar so i can splash some water on face and put deoderant on..

# 19 JoeCoolMan24 @ 03/28/14 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark28_316
Madden? I think you mean 2K baseball, which used to have a "showboat" button that made outfielders spin around and catch a ball behind their back, or through their legs. That was a fun option, but not very realistic since OFers NEVER do that. But a barehanded or gloveflip button would be fun AND realistic as long as there is a heavy risk/reward that will deter users from doing it more than a few times a week.

# 20 ryanmc564 @ 03/28/14 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCoolMan24
Madden? I think you mean 2K baseball, which used to have a "showboat" button that made outfielders spin around and catch a ball behind their back, or through their legs. That was a fun option, but not very realistic since OFers NEVER do that. But a barehanded or gloveflip button would be fun AND realistic as long as there is a heavy risk/reward that will deter users from doing it more than a few times a week.
the "showboat" was from The Bigs , right? don't recall that button in the regular mlb game

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.