Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Da_Czar has checked in with this new NBA 2K15 video, featuring the evolution of the freelance offense.

Lyrics and beats by @SageInfinite and @_RobDavis, respectively.

Watch the video and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
It's just another term for "momentum" and/or "change of direction." If you're running full speed in one direction, it takes a moment to be able to change directions because you're fighting your own weight and momentum. Obviously, the higher the agility of the player, the less of a penalty they will suffer.
Yeah, this. I probably could have worded that better. You need to be selective with your turbo defensive movement this year. You can't instantly recover. On ball it becomes necessary to anticipate when he is going to stop or when he is going to turbo.

In past game you could turbo to get in the passing lane and immediately recover to also stop the backdoor. Basically the defense was too OP because of that.

As I turbo'd to get into the lane I had to stop and turn and restart my momentum. Just was highlighting that fact. It doesn't always look like it should but the emphasis is still there as far as the control of turbo on defense.

# 142 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 05:51 PM
Quote:
A 4-out-1-in would basically cover it. Only real wrinkle that would be Thunder specific would be to have Durant set on-ball screens for Westbrook and work the pick-n-pop. Other than that, the offense is really just about spacing and allowing Westbrook/Durant (and Jackson to a degree) to get in 1-on-1 situations with space to operate.
NOICE. and we cover that with their play calls this year. Very happy the execution of their screen to iso game. We allow you to branch out of those if he isn't open IIRC. It's hard because we have so much as far as back-doors and branches it is hard to remember where all the goodies are located. LOL.

# 143 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpower15
Awesome. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions and every one else's, one of the many things that sets 2K apart from other gaming companies! I think I speak for everyone in hear in saying we really appreciate all the communication that guys like you and Leftos provide.

So with the freelance set by coach, does it follow that coach from team to team? So if Pop gets fired and then hired by the Nets for example, the Nets will run the Swing Motion freelance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes it would however in the default roster we could switch that on the back end if POP goes somewhere and no longer runs the Swing Motion.

# 144 El_Poopador @ 09/26/14 05:55 PM
Czar, will teams recognize mismatches and adjust their freelance actions to accommodate?

# 145 dpower15 @ 09/26/14 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Yes it would however in the default roster we could switch that on the back end if POP goes somewhere and no longer runs the Swing Motion.

Awesome, I'm just thinking more for as a MyLeague progresses. So if someone likes the Spurs style of play IRL (and if you actually appreciate the game of basketball you have to love the way they play although I'm a die hard Heat fan lol), they have that much more of an incentive to sign Pop and bring the swing motion to their team (atleast as default, I realize it can still be selected within each game you play). Very nice addition, mad props to you and the team man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 146 Ghostf4cekhila1234 @ 09/26/14 06:03 PM
If i can start running pin point offensive play like im playing a football game just rank me number 1 in everything now

# 147 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Czar, will teams recognize mismatches and adjust their freelance actions to accommodate?
I'm going to say no. But I have seen them do it. But I can't say it was totally deliberate. LOL. I played against the spurs and had a smaller guy on Kawai and they abused me 3 straight times but it's not something were I can point to the code that handles that.

Mismatches are something we know we need to get right and will probably do something specific in future that will cover all these area's. Right now it is more like just general code that kicks in. So it def isn't what you want to see as far as them selecting the exact right freelance action to deal with that mismatch.

This year for me it was all about play stability. I have heard the cries LOL and I don't want to hear them anymore. So a major effort was put into the play system and the freelance is some of the fruit of that.

My hope is that next year it won't need all that work again and we can take some things we introduced even deeper.

# 148 Pokes404 @ 09/26/14 06:07 PM
Quote:
Yeah, this. I probably could have worded that better. You need to be selective with your turbo defensive movement this year. You can't instantly recover. On ball it becomes necessary to anticipate when he is going to stop or when he is going to turbo.

In past game you could turbo to get in the passing lane and immediately recover to also stop the backdoor. Basically the defense was too OP because of that.

As I turbo'd to get into the lane I had to stop and turn and restart my momentum. Just was highlighting that fact. It doesn't always look like it should but the emphasis is still there as far as the control of turbo on defense.
That's great to hear, actually. I play team up mode primarily and you see this all of the time with people being able to run into the lane (either to stop a drive or harass a big man on the block) and still get out to contest/block a shot on the perimeter. Nice to hear that people will have to be a little more calculating this year when it comes to their movement on defense.

# 149 2_headedmonster @ 09/26/14 06:13 PM
Quote:

i gathered as much, but this is what i wanted to hear. i wanted clarification that hyper recovery and free safety play with athletic guys has been met with a realistic consequence.

# 150 23 @ 09/26/14 06:14 PM
Quote:
That's great to hear, actually. I play team up mode primarily and you see this all of the time with people being able to run into the lane (either to stop a drive or harass a big man on the block) and still get out to contest/block a shot on the perimeter. Nice to hear that people will have to be a little more calculating this year when it comes to their movement on defense.
I love the fact that you have to make a decision and live with it. Kinda how it was back in the days of illegal defense. .. hate what you described above because it doesn't punish you for making the wrong move.

# 151 Shadojoker @ 09/26/14 06:21 PM
That video alone made me want to re-preorder this game!!

# 152 Sdrawkcab321 @ 09/26/14 06:36 PM
If your team doesn't have specific freelance offense can you manually change that ? And will coaches bring their offense to a team if they get fired and hired onto a new team ?

# 153 jcmreds @ 09/26/14 06:36 PM
I just went from 20% to 80% on buying this game day one.

# 154 BezO @ 09/26/14 06:37 PM
Czar,

Great motion, cutting and screening with Swing Motion. Can we expect to see improvements in these areas for basic 3-2 and 4-1 sets? Do the AI controlled players initiate scoring opportunities?

# 155 I Djm @ 09/26/14 06:45 PM
Quote:

What about offball movement are we able to move around with always looking at the ball without turbo

# 156 Vni @ 09/26/14 06:51 PM
Da_Czar, SageInfinite, OS...

Spoiler

# 157 Cabish @ 09/26/14 06:52 PM
2k has done the ultimate fan service by bringing communit sim heads to help them with their game,while developing it ,this is so crazy,I wish they would do the same with baseball and nhl and (nfl) I can imagine the nfl2k5 with community help,I remember when i just bought nfl2k5 for ps2 I had her some sim slider set from operation sports it was the best I've had with a football game ever !

# 158 raiderphantom @ 09/26/14 06:54 PM
That Ginobli pull up tho

I don't always like running full plays unless I set it on auto run plays and well I'm too lazy to edit my playbook to get all the plays I want so this is very nice.

# 159 bls @ 09/26/14 06:55 PM
Hey Czar, can you lead pass to the man coming off the curls to the baseline/top of the key/or between the baseline and top of the key, like we could in 2k11 without all the quirky animations?

# 160 Turbojugend @ 09/26/14 07:04 PM
I've been watching the NBA on and off since the 80's and didn't even know what playcalling was until I started watching Czar's 2K12 vids. Before then I just thought every team freestyled like the Globetrotters, LOL. His tutorials definitely opened up a whole new world.

Much respect to Czar for making a great series even better.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.