Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

EA Sports released the first official trailer for Madden NFL 16 featuring the four cover-athlete candidates and showing off some new pass catching and defense animations.

Many of the animations feature what I would suppose are the more spectacular catches which were added into the game. No doubt Odell Beckham Jr. is a great cover choice given the game's emphasis this year.

As was revealed earlier today, the big 'back of the box' features for Madden NFL 16 were released today -- with a particular interest on the passing game being the big focus in this year's title. Those changes are definitely long overdue for the series, and if the same treatment can be given to the passing game that was given to the run game -- Madden looks to have a much improved game of football this year on the field.

What did you think of the trailer? Sound off and let us know!

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 CM Hooe @ 05/16/15 03:47 PM
Big, let me ask you two direct questions if I may:

1 - Yes or no: do you enjoy playing the Madden NFL console video game?

2 - if the answer to 1 is "no": what is your motivation to spend your time and attention on a recreational pursuit from which you derive zero enjoyment?

# 62 SpyPirates @ 05/16/15 03:47 PM
If a company has a monopoly over a market and does a ****ty job of providing the product, the only thing you can do is take your case public and try to get it changed. EA has little incentive to care... just the fact that it is the only football game available will give it good sales indefinitely. You can't take down a monopolist by not buying its product. It's like telling people to stop buying cable TV because you don't like Comcast. It just doesn't work because there are no substitutes for people to switch to.

# 63 CM Hooe @ 05/16/15 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
If a company has a monopoly over a market and does a ****ty job of providing the product, the only thing you can do is take your case public and try to get it changed. EA has little incentive to care... just the fact that it is the only football game available will give it good sales indefinitely. You can't take down a monopolist by not buying its product. It's like telling people to stop buying cable TV because you don't like Comcast. It just doesn't work because there are no substitutes for people to switch to.
This argument fails because EA doesn't have a monopoly over video games. If consumers stop buying EA video games, EA goes out of business.

# 64 Madwolf @ 05/16/15 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This argument fails because EA doesn't have a monopoly over video games. If consumers stop buying EA video games, EA goes out of business.
Just like if we stop buying electric from the electric company they go out of business. Right?

# 65 m1ke_nyc @ 05/16/15 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Just like if we stop buying electric from the electric company they go out of business. Right?
You can't compare those 2 things. One is a neccesity to living comfortably or in most cases survival. The other is a form of entertainment that isn't necessary and can easily be replaced one day.

# 66 CM Hooe @ 05/16/15 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Video games a consumer good and aren't a utility, so no it's not like that at all actually.

# 67 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/16/15 04:35 PM
EA doesn't have a true monopoly on an American Football game, but I would say they have a general monopoly in the exclusive license; it has been proven that no other company has been willing to put money into competing with EA's NFL and Player deal by producing a generic football game...

# 68 michapop9 @ 05/16/15 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
You can't compare those 2 things. One is a neccesity to living comfortably or in most cases survival. The other is a form of entertainment that isn't necessary and can easily be replaced one day.

its kind of a matter of opinion, easily replaced depends on who you talk to, you cant think that you can speak for everyone when you say that. This is part of the problem.

Look, I think this dev team (or at least the new members and new leadership on this dev team) is truly putting forth much more of an effort to appease hardcore players. In the vast majority of the 360 and ps3 days that could not be said, the game was clearly living off of the NFL and not on its own merit. The NFL and football in general is like a drug to many people, EA cornered the market and lived off the addicts for a long time, peoples expectations are rightly high because any true improvement made now is going to be LONG overdue, thats not neccesarily this dev teams fault, but they have no choice but to play catch up due to the failures of the past. So incremental improvements (or to more correctly put it, very good improvments to individual portions of the game) is going to fall short. True hardcore fans have been told to be patient for so long for a complete game that anyone else telling them to be patient or anyone standing up for EA just sets off a firestorm, than theyre told to calm down by people who obviously dont have the same desire for a complete football experience. I mean the improvements theyre making are truly noticeable, but after this long we still dont have true player movement out of all 22 players?? Do you know how fundamental that is to football?

Its very hard to argue with alot of the naysayers (EA bashers) at this point. So the next valid option is "calm down, its just a game, you dont like it, move on, if it means that much to you, you clearly have problems." I dont think thats the greatest thing to say on a video game forum.

# 69 Primo80 @ 05/16/15 05:46 PM
What the trailer showed is the best case scenario from Madden. All we saw were new animations, which is all we can reasonably expect will improve the gameplay. I know Rex said they are adding layers onto what was already built, which isn't surprising; but hopefully these new WR interactions are a demonstration of the improvements of animations overall. Hopefully, it isn't shoehorned in.

Without graphical improvements of any kind apparent in the trailer, maybe we can assume priorities shifted to what has been neglected. There are so many football moves that dont have animations yet. Like all the ways a WR can get off the line. I havent played Madden in awhile, but isnt there a Beat Press rating? Or how bout stutters/fakes immediately after the catch?

# 70 CM Hooe @ 05/16/15 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo80
Like all the ways a WR can get off the line. I havent played Madden in awhile, but isnt there a Beat Press rating?
To answer this question - there is a Release rating, which has been called Beat Press in past editions of Madden. They're one in the same.

It's matched up against a defensive back's Press rating to determine the interaction between a receiver getting off the line of scrimmage for a route and a defender in press coverage.

# 71 jfsolo @ 05/16/15 07:18 PM
If anyone finds a comparison to purchasing electricity to be a reasonably equivalent argument, well then that pretty much rules out a chance of a good discussion on the subject.

I mean I know that this is The Internet, and this is what occurs here, but I would hope that there would be some places that are bastions of refuge from intellectually dishonest arguments. Hyperbole for the loss.

# 72 da ThRONe @ 05/16/15 07:23 PM
What stood out to me most was when Webb's( I believe )hand knock Brown's hand off the ball. I downloaded Madden last year and barely touched it so I don't know if that's something new, but it was impressive none the less.

# 73 apollon42 @ 05/16/15 07:23 PM
You know what's really disappointing. This looks nowhere near that RG3 trailer they showed us a few years ago. Doesnt even look like the same game. This looks like PS3.

# 74 apollon42 @ 05/16/15 07:25 PM
Casual fans don't care. The general public thinks that Madden is great. The community is actually the minority. Therefore, the game will never improve because the general public doesnt care that the equipment is from 2005 or they don't have mouthpieces.

# 75 aholbert32 @ 05/16/15 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I'm saying it's a cop out when they don't use a generic in some cases, the tattoo artist may own the rights to a specific design, but not a certain area of a player's body.

Another reason to believe that is that Kaep is the only player with them. Over 1000 players in the league and none wanted tattoos on their Madden counter parts enough to get the copyright? Doubtful.
Its not a cop out. EA has been sued over the use of unlicensed tattoos (NFL Street). Also when they considered using generics people complained and said that it wasnt authentic so they decided not to even use the generics.

Von Miller reportedly bought the copyright too. Its not as simple or as cheap as you think. People arent thinking about Madden when they get tattoos and its not like they negotiate those rights when they get the tattoo. In order to get the copyright, you have to negotiate with the tattoo artist and he may not be willing to sell you those rights for cheap.

# 76 aholbert32 @ 05/16/15 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollon42
Casual fans don't care. The general public thinks that Madden is great. The community is actually the minority. Therefore, the game will never improve because the general public doesnt care that the equipment is from 2005 or they don't have mouthpieces.
I'm not in the general public and I could care less about mouthpieces.

# 77 aholbert32 @ 05/16/15 07:34 PM
Quote:
You know what's really disappointing. This looks nowhere near that RG3 trailer they showed us a few years ago. Doesnt even look like the same game. This looks like PS3.
Did you think last year's game looked like it was on the ps3?

# 78 oneamongthefence @ 05/16/15 08:44 PM
Quote:
This game looks gorgeous when not in motion. Graphically it looks way better than last gen.

# 79 aholbert32 @ 05/16/15 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionMaximus
Just doesn't make since to me. I know I read what Roadman posted. EA pays the NFLPA in order to use each NFL Players likeness in game but can't put THEIR tattoos in the game because it's owned by the tattoo artist. Maybe I need to look closer for that tm logo on each players tat's next time.

Sounds like EA is just scared of another lawsuit is the main reason plus the fact they use the same 3 body types for each player that they've used in like forever.

Answer me this why does NBA2k have them? Hell NBAlive even has them.
Maybe NBA2k also has an agreement with the TPAU (Tattoo Parlor Association Union)
#tattoogate
The NBAPA deal covers tattoos while the NFLPA deal doesnt. What that means is if a tattoo artist sued EA for tattoos being in NBA Live, the NBAPA would indemnify EA and pay for all costs related to the suit. The NFLPA isnt obligated to do that under their deal.

If I ran EA I would do the same thing they are doing. While I'm all for authenticity, EA has no protection against a tattoo artist suing them. I'd also argue that tattoos arent as prominent and important as the NBA. If Lebron didnt have his tattoos in NBA Live, people would lose their ****.**** they would lose their **** if Chris Andersen didnt have his tats.

If Manti Teo doesnt have his tattoos, most people are like...meh. If thats the typical reaction, why risk a lawsuit?

# 80 CM Hooe @ 05/16/15 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieroglyphicmonk
The issue is Madden truly is a bad game...
You do realize quality is subjective and that Madden generally reviews well in the video game media, yes?

Plenty of people enjoy the game. If it were "truly a bad game" that would not be the case.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.