Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Penalties have long not been a big part of the Madden NFL experience. This year, EA is hoping to change that legacy, which you can read fully fleshed out on their new blog:

Quote:
"Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency."

What This Means: Every player is going to get a penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which will determine how likely they are to commit a penalty. Also, how you play the game will determine how many penalties are called as well. A pressing cornerback is used as an example, where your chances of seeing a defensive holding penalty are higher than if he is playing loose.

The penalty sliders also are getting a makeover, with the default setting based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons, which will make penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible, so EA says.

Penalties which got the updated treatment include: Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

What do you think of the potentially improved penalties?

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 roadman @ 06/16/15 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Exactly. They obviously don't have a great track record of things working as advertised, so I'm hoping to see a higher percentage of penalties in the E3 videos - moreso to prove that they're in and work in the right situations, and then we can hopefully adjust to realistic with sliders from there.
I think I saw DueceDouglas post awhile ago that what most people don't realize is that there is an avg of only 6 penalties called per game in the NFL.

# 62 aholbert32 @ 06/16/15 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think I saw DueceDouglas post awhile ago that what most people don't realize is that there is an avg of only 6 penalties called per game in the NFL.
I dont know why that seems low but it does. I'm sure the stats dont lie though.

# 63 roadman @ 06/16/15 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I'm pushing an agenda? LOL. Yall kill me with that bull****. My posts don't back up that bogus claim either. I just know how things have turned out for Tiburon and this series, I'm just stating my opinion. I've been posting here a long time and have always been a straight shooter.

I hope the penalties work, but it would've been nice if they addressed EVERY aspect of penalties, AND they worked. We have yet to see that, that's the only reason why celebrating it hit me like that. They have a pattern of doing this. They address something, and it's half done, or it doesn't work properly.
I get that, but I think it's appropriate, at least on my end from all the pounding I've done over the years, to let out a little sigh of relief.

A bigger sigh if they work as advertised.

# 64 MajorSupreme @ 06/16/15 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think that's about right, of all the Pats games I saw this year and last, about 4-5 penalties. Browner averaged at least 2 a game, and then at least usually one holding call.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

# 65 roadman @ 06/16/15 01:21 AM
Quote:
Trust me, I thought it was too.

Oops, you are right, I bet Duece meant per team per game.

How many penalties are called in an average NFL game?

In an average NFL football game, the officials will call around 12-13 total penalties per game. During the 2013 NFL season, the average game say 12.25 penalties called.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articl...n-average.aspx

Sorry folks.

# 66 Skyboxer @ 06/16/15 01:22 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Looking at the NFL stats it's 6.6 a game.
Did sound low but guess not.

# 67 roadman @ 06/16/15 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Holy cow, that link I just provided said 12-13.

In my best Lombardi impersonation, what the hell is going on out there?

# 68 Skyboxer @ 06/16/15 01:25 AM
Quote:
Trust me, I thought it was too.

Oops, you are right, I bet Duece meant per team per game.

How many penalties are called in an average NFL game?

In an average NFL football game, the officials will call around 12-13 total penalties per game. During the 2013 NFL season, the average game say 12.25 penalties called.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articl...n-average.aspx

Sorry folks.
From what I see it's 6.6 combined.. Unless I'm looking wrong

# 69 mestevo @ 06/16/15 01:27 AM
Sounds low because of the variance, Seattle averaging 9.5/game, Miami just 2.

Get the Seahawks v Denver though and their averages combined are 17.5 in a game.

via figures at http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?&year=2014

2014 saw 300 more penalties than 2013 also. (3526 vs 3245) so figures creeped up a touch.

# 70 SageInfinite @ 06/16/15 01:29 AM
Quote:
I get that, but I think it's appropriate, at least on my end from all the pounding I've done over the years, to let out a little sigh of relief.

A bigger sigh if they work as advertised.
I get that, and I'm not condemning anyone for being happy, I'm just not out here waving the victory flags yet, lol. For me it's not "yayy they have penalties!!" It's "It's about damn time, now do they actually work, and what else you got?" LOL. I mean it's the third game on next gen, and we went a whole generation without this stuff, I'm just not jumping for joy.

Now if holding was called because they have some cloth physics where you could see jerseys being pulled, then I'd be like whoa, that's some next ****.

I do like that they have a penalty attribute though, I think that's a pretty cool way to implement the tendency.

# 71 Skyboxer @ 06/16/15 01:30 AM
Quote:
Holy cow, that link I just provided said 12-13.

In my best Lombardi impersonation, what the hell is going on out there?
http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Bottom is per game.
The total all the way to the left is total for that teams games called against them + against opponent.

EDIT: Just noticed offsetting and declined penalties NOT included in total.. so probably closer to 12..
Either way what we've gotten this year IF they work.. I'm happy about.

# 72 jvalverde88 @ 06/16/15 01:48 AM
Quote:
I will give them props if they work as advertised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Exactly. They obviously don't have a great track record of things working as advertised, so I'm hoping to see a higher percentage of penalties in the E3 videos - moreso to prove that they're in and work in the right situations, and then we can hopefully adjust to realistic with sliders from there.
Yeah, I read that the default penalty sliders are based on league average penalty calls, which I find hard to believe. I'm just taking a wait and see approach with this.

# 73 CM Hooe @ 06/16/15 02:17 AM
Personally, I care more about defensive holding and proper function of penalties already existing in Madden 15 (in name, at least) than any which have never been in the series.

A common complaint about Madden is that they build new things and never revisit old things. Well, they revisited old things here mostly, and at the same time added new things (defensive holding in particular will be a big add for Madden assuming it works properly). I would say getting defensive holding in and making sure every other penalty which was in the game in name only actually working was a higher development priority than illegal forward pass or offsetting penalties, which don't really happen often. Should the other penalties be there? Absolutely. So should any penalties at all, so I'm plenty willing to start here where Tiburon has gone this year.

Assuming everything described in the blog works, I'm plenty happy to enjoy Madden NFL 16's penalties for what they are. I honestly don't care about what decade-old games did anymore, I'm not playing those games anyway.

# 74 Sheba2011 @ 06/16/15 03:57 AM
Quote:
NFL Penalties is a website that tracks this sort of thing. For 2014 the highest per game total was the Seattle Seahawks with 7.95, the lowest with Jacksonville with 4.56 per game. The 6 is probably a per team average a game.

# 75 DeuceDouglas @ 06/16/15 07:11 AM
Quote:
Yeah and almost half that is just false start and offensive holding. I'd assume when it comes to Madden that average should be closer to five for a full length game just because not all penalties (hands to the face, illegal formation, etc.) are represented and certain penalties like delay of game and unnecessary roughness have a much lower chance of happening.

Defensive holding will be an interesting one to watch because of the point of emphasis stuff the league had implemented. EA said they used the averages of the last five seasons but when you look at defensive holding being called it's shot up in recent years and was called nearly three times as much last year than it was in 2010 which greatly affects the average.

Another interesting thing I noticed that they mentioned in terms of penalties is that they specifically refer to neutral zone infractions in the blog so that makes me wonder if we'll see guys jump in the zone and then a O-Lineman purposely false start. I absolutely hate seeing it in real life but it could be a nice touch in-game.

# 76 SolidSquid @ 06/16/15 07:28 AM
Wish they gave us a jostle button similar to FIFA so we had some type of control of defensive holding/pass interference calls.

# 77 Aggies7 @ 06/16/15 07:48 AM
Quote:

I know that is hard to believe. Watching Broncos games it feels like we get one on every third down when playing defense. But your right stats don't lie.

# 78 DJ @ 06/16/15 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Personally, I care more about defensive holding and proper function of penalties already existing in Madden 15 (in name, at least) than any which have never been in the series.

A common complaint about Madden is that they build new things and never revisit old things. Well, they revisited old things here mostly, and at the same time added new things (defensive holding in particular will be a big add for Madden assuming it works properly). I would say getting defensive holding in and making sure every other penalty which was in the game in name only actually working was a higher development priority than illegal forward pass or offsetting penalties, which don't really happen often. Should the other penalties be there? Absolutely. So should any penalties at all, so I'm plenty willing to start here where Tiburon has gone this year.

Assuming everything described in the blog works, I'm plenty happy to enjoy Madden NFL 16's penalties for what they are. I honestly don't care about what decade-old games did anymore, I'm not playing those games anyway.
I like this viewpoint. Again, I still need to see it implemented in person, but I give Madden credit for listening to the sim crowd here and really taking the time to work on penalties and having them actually mean something in the game. I'm not going to nitpick if some things aren't called if I'm getting NFL-average penalty calls in a game.

# 79 EricFreakingBerry @ 06/16/15 09:19 AM
This might only be the 2nd thing so far that's excited me positively, besides the combine stats. I have been pushing my CFM is getting crapped on agenda in other threads but the penalty thing here is really nice to see. They're even going to have a rating for it? That's excellent. It finally gives me a reason to analyze an offensive lineman for more than his "blocking" ratings or his "strength." If I have a 77 OVR tackle who fits my scheme who gets penalized all the time and a 75 OVR who doesn't, it might make me play the lower rated guy a bit more to avoid all the holding calls.

# 80 mjavon @ 06/16/15 09:57 AM
Quote:
Is that per team per game or total? That seems too low to be total.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.