Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Penalties have long not been a big part of the Madden NFL experience. This year, EA is hoping to change that legacy, which you can read fully fleshed out on their new blog:

Quote:
"Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency."

What This Means: Every player is going to get a penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which will determine how likely they are to commit a penalty. Also, how you play the game will determine how many penalties are called as well. A pressing cornerback is used as an example, where your chances of seeing a defensive holding penalty are higher than if he is playing loose.

The penalty sliders also are getting a makeover, with the default setting based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons, which will make penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible, so EA says.

Penalties which got the updated treatment include: Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

What do you think of the potentially improved penalties?

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 DeuceDouglas @ 06/16/15 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
Is that per team per game or total? That seems too low to be total.
It is. Last five years...

2014: 6.6 p/g
2013: 6.07 p/g
2012: 6.21 p/g
2011: 6.31 p/g
2010: 6.02 p/g

That is strictly enforced penalties. Declined and Offset aren't included. If they were...

2014: 7.95 p/g
2013: 6.8 p/g
2012: 7.1 p/g
2011: 7.29 p/g
2010: 6.95 p/g

# 82 Josiphos @ 06/16/15 10:17 AM
I'd rather see no penalties, than randomly generated clipping calls 2.3 Times per game.

If it's truly bang I hit him out of bounds then great. If instead I sack Aaron Rodgers on 4th down, only to be called for a random facemask when all I did was press "A", then no thanks.

I'm fine with no penalties ever being called in M15; I care more about the gameplay

# 83 STLRams @ 06/16/15 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
Uh oh, it didn't mention OPI....
I noticed this also, hopefully offensive Pass Interference penalty will work correctly.

# 84 aholbert32 @ 06/16/15 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiphos
I'd rather see no penalties, than randomly generated clipping calls 2.3 Times per game.

If it's truly bang I hit him out of bounds then great. If instead I sack Aaron Rodgers on 4th down, only to be called for a random facemask when all I did was press "A", then no thanks.

I'm fine with no penalties ever being called in M15; I care more about the gameplay
Arent penalties a part of gameplay? Also, you know you can just turn the penalties off if you want, right?

I'm glad that the majority of players dont take this point of view.

# 85 aholbert32 @ 06/16/15 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I noticed this also, hopefully offensive Pass Interference penalty will work correctly.
OPI is mentioned in the offense blog. Its in the game.

# 86 mjavon @ 06/16/15 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It is. Last five years...

2014: 6.6 p/g
2013: 6.07 p/g
2012: 6.21 p/g
2011: 6.31 p/g
2010: 6.02 p/g

That is strictly enforced penalties. Declined and Offset aren't included. If they were...

2014: 7.95 p/g
2013: 6.8 p/g
2012: 7.1 p/g
2011: 7.29 p/g
2010: 6.95 p/g
Interesting... good insight. I was expecting it to be 10-12.

# 87 DeuceDouglas @ 06/16/15 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
Interesting... good insight. I was expecting it to be 10-12.
I didn't see that you were asking if it was per game per team or total in your first post. I thought you were just asking if it was per game per team which is what I posted. My bad on that. But per game for both teams would be in that 12-14 range when you include the declined and offsetting calls.

# 88 jfsolo @ 06/16/15 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Arent penalties a part of gameplay? Also, you know you can just turn the penalties off if you want, right?

The scary thing is that I'm not sure that they don't. This penalty reworking by the gameplay team is definitely something that was done for us "OS types". Yes, it should be it the game because it's a realistic aspect of football, but I imagine that they would have left it alone forever if the sim community hadn't been so relentless in asking for it.

I still say that they may tune it down before the game goes retail, making us turn it back up with the sliders.

# 89 DJ @ 06/16/15 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Wish they gave us a jostle button similar to FIFA so we had some type of control of defensive holding/pass interference calls.
That's a great idea, especially if you player-lock on a DB.

# 90 BezO @ 06/16/15 11:34 AM
I would've liked to see more mention of context. Linemen hold when they're getting beat. DBs interfere when they're getting beat. False starts happen for a number of reasons. They mentioned pressing DBs & goal line. Hopefully there's more to it.

I guess penalty tendencies are related to skill & play style, but this leaves room for a high tendency player to be penalized against lesser opponents for the sake of tendencies & averages.

Good to see penalties finally addressed though.

# 91 CMadatMe @ 06/16/15 11:36 AM
Glad to see the penalty system getting some love but one concern I have is that while they state they've updated and/or added Defensive Pass Interference there is no mention of Offensive Pass Interference. With the new Air Supremacy and DB interactions the street needs to go both ways, not one way.

# 92 roadman @ 06/16/15 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMadatMe
Glad to see the penalty system getting some love but one concern I have is that while they state they've updated and/or added Defensive Pass Interference there is no mention of Offensive Pass Interference. With the new Air Supremacy and DB interactions the street needs to go both ways, not one way.
It was mentioned in a blog yesterday the DPI/OPI are in the game.

# 93 Datninja619 @ 06/16/15 01:03 PM
Now iiiiiiii wonder if this will mean the end to running into WRs on routes and not getting flagged. You'd have to tackle them to get a PI.

# 94 Josiphos @ 06/16/15 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Penalties are a huge part of the NFL, where actual human brains decide to reach out and grab that Jersey. People get tired and make mistakes. They get beat and decide to just tackle the receiver.

I'm not a fan of penalties in a computer game, where everything is RANDOM. Case in point, the game I just played, I think I counted 5 blocks in the back, but that's part of the programming limitations....it was just the cpu reacting to where the ball went and trying to block effectively as it could. Should that stuff be called? Another example, there was some play action pass (I forget which one exactly) where every time I ran it, the blocking back who I gave the fake to would get called for holding EVERY time. After 5 times, I took it out of my playbook....is that how penalties should work?

I'm fine with the late hits and offside and stuff that is user controlled (running over that receiver trying to make the catch), but randomly inserted penalties are garbage.

# 95 aholbert32 @ 06/16/15 03:58 PM
Quote:
Penalties are a huge part of the NFL, where actual human brains decide to reach out and grab that Jersey. People get tired and make mistakes. They get beat and decide to just tackle the receiver.

I'm not a fan of penalties in a computer game, where everything is RANDOM. Case in point, the game I just played, I think I counted 5 blocks in the back, but that's part of the programming limitations....it was just the cpu reacting to where the ball went and trying to block effectively as it could. Should that stuff be called? Another example, there was some play action pass (I forget which one exactly) where every time I ran it, the blocking back who I gave the fake to would get called for holding EVERY time. After 5 times, I took it out of my playbook....is that how penalties should work?

I'm fine with the late hits and offside and stuff that is user controlled (running over that receiver trying to make the catch), but randomly inserted penalties are garbage.
Doesnt a penalty rating (like in Madden 16) simulate that? A OL with a higher rating is more likely to commit a penalty than someone with a lower rating.

# 96 The JareBear @ 06/16/15 04:11 PM
Quote:

I could be wrong but I think a combination of discipline, penalty (or maybe those two are the same rating?), and fatigue influence how likely a guy is to make a mistake and get flagged in the game. I think that is actually pretty realistic

# 97 Josiphos @ 06/16/15 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Almost everything in a computer sports game is random. Not just penalties. Should missed blocks be taken out? Incomplete passes? I just don't buy your argument that they are garbage or why they are garbage. Almost everything in a sports video game is a random modifier to ratings.
Missed blocks are just part of the movements of the oline. You could argue they are random, but part of their programming is to go to x, block any one there.

Penalties are decided by a neutral observer in the Nfl to keep things fair and to ensure adherence to the rules. You don't need refeeres in a videogame, as the programming will not allow deviations from the rules in most cases. Exceptions being me hit sticking Russel Wilson when he's five yards out of bounds. That should be a penalty and should be in the game.

I just don't know how you put in holding calls and not make it totally dependant on the cpu's random number generator

it has been 38.12343234 seconds....output : holding call, execute) <---- I don't like that idea

Edit: I could more easily stomach awareness, agility and intelligence influencing penalties. That would be better than what we have now with field goal automatic false start bugs.

# 98 oneamongthefence @ 06/16/15 05:55 PM
The sliders are great to hear of they work. I think a referee awareness slider is needed too. Turning it to 0 would allow penaties to still happen but referees would ignore almost all of them while at 100 the referees would see every penalty and make aggressive calls.

But it's good that they finally really went after them and made them a larger part of the game.

# 99 Josiphos @ 06/16/15 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Blocking itself is a random act. Rating against ratings alon with some randomizing and who wins. At times I see the OLB or DE go right past the LT who is position to block. That's some randomizing used along with ratings. Almost EVERYTHING in a sports video game is a random modifier to some ratings. Without the randomness, the game doesn't exist.

You don't make it totally dependent on a random generator. You have the randomizing along with ratings.
I guess I'm just wary of the computer policing itself, per se.

I've gotten used to zero penalties this year. I can just predict I'm going to have some soul crushing, super bowl altering penalty in 16.

In the real nfl, I can look at the replay and be like yeah, he held.

In 16, it's gonna be like, wtf just happened?

Edit: I guess the whole crux of my argument is I don't understand how you can effectively program something to realize the guards hands were actually grasping and twisting, rather than staying open and pushing. You can tie "intelligence to it" all day long, but you're not going to get an accurate depiction of what is and is not holding. Adding an additional layer of randomness on top of what we already have, is not that important to me

# 100 m1ke_nyc @ 06/16/15 06:39 PM
Quote:
I guess I'm just wary of the computer policing itself, per se.

I've gotten used to zero penalties this year. I can just predict I'm going to have some soul crushing, super bowl altering penalty in 16.

In the real nfl, I can look at the replay and be like yeah, he held.

In 16, it's gonna be like, wtf just happened?

Edit: I guess the whole crux of my argument is I don't understand how you can effectively program something to realize the guards hands were actually grasping and twisting, rather than staying open and pushing. You can tie "intelligence to it" all day long, but you're not going to get an accurate depiction of what is and is not holding. Adding an additional layer of randomness on top of what we already have, is not that important to me
Football is a team sport, you cannot control all players on the field. Just like you can have a random penalty cost you the superbowl you can have a random slip by a wide open receiver in the endzone on the last play of the superbowl to cost you the game. Should they take slips out of the game then ?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.