Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

In the past, Madden NFL 16 hasn't done the best job with QB Accuracy and differentiating quarterbacks. With the claims that ratings mean more than ever and that there would be a huge difference in how QBs play -- we decided to put that to the test with a comparison.

On one side, Aaron Rodgers is the best deep passser in terms of accuracy in the game. On the other, Brett Hundley is a third-string QB for the Pack who boasts deep-ball pass ratings that are quite a bit lower. If there's a difference in how each plays, we're certainly about to find out...

Test Settings:
All-Madden, Practice Mode Offense Only

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ggsimmonds @ 09/23/15 06:32 PM
One thing to note, EA claims that the distance for "deep passes" is 40 yards.
Medium is 20-40 yards
Short is anything under 20 yards.

# 2 Kornnickel55 @ 09/23/15 06:42 PM
With Hundley.....the user is throwing the ball alot earlier

# 3 Dwaresacksqb @ 09/23/15 06:54 PM
One thing I don't see that happens in real life is receivers slowing down and speeding up to adjust to the balls thrown. It looks like if you miss on a deep ball you miss too deep, left or right. Very rarely can a QB drop a ball right into the basket of a receiver who is running full speed and need to make zero adjustment to the ball thrown. Hopefully EA will add this dynamic in future iterations of the game.

# 4 canes21 @ 09/23/15 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
One thing I don't see that happens in real life is receivers slowing down and speeding up to adjust to the balls thrown. It looks like if you miss on a deep ball you miss too deep, left or right. Very rarely can a QB drop a ball right into the basket of a receiver who is running full speed and need to make zero adjustment to the ball thrown. Hopefully EA will add this dynamic in future iterations of the game.
It's how the tracking and coverage work. Players in Madden are programmed to go full speed to everything just about. If there is man coverage and you take control over the WR and manually slow him down and make that adjustment personally, the CB who is staring at you and not the ball will still stay full speed, reach the landing spot, and turn around to either jump for the ball, or wait for an animation between the WR and himself to play out.

I wish it wasn't this way, but I would imagine it'd be pretty hard to program the game to act more dynamic in that fashion. If there were some way to make it happen, it would hopefully be just another way to separate the good and bad defenders. The true elite corners are the ones who can still defend that pass by watching the WR's eyes and mirroring his movements without getting lost, tripped up, etc.

Like I said though, I imagine programming something in like that would be a big pain.

# 5 Dwaresacksqb @ 09/23/15 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It's how the tracking and coverage work. Players in Madden are programmed to go full speed to everything just about. If there is man coverage and you take control over the WR and manually slow him down and make that adjustment personally, the CB who is staring at you and not the ball will still stay full speed, reach the landing spot, and turn around to either jump for the ball, or wait for an animation between the WR and himself to play out.

I wish it wasn't this way, but I would imagine it'd be pretty hard to program the game to act more dynamic in that fashion. If there were some way to make it happen, it would hopefully be just another way to separate the good and bad defenders. The true elite corners are the ones who can still defend that pass by watching the WR's eyes and mirroring his movements without getting lost, tripped up, etc.

Like I said though, I imagine programming something in like that would be a big pain.
Yeah I was afraid of this. I kind of figured receivers go full speed every snap. Hopefully the daunting task of programming more realistic actions being taken on the field can be had though. Throw enough money at the problem and I'm sure it can see the light of day sooner rather than later. EA has the money, but do they have the will?

Either way, the variation in deep throw accuracy is encouraging to see with what we are given and I'm still enjoying.

# 6 Cardot @ 09/23/15 11:15 PM
It seems that all passes are either right on the money or way off target. And the accuracy rating is the percentage of passes that are on the money......which isn't really a true reflection of accuracy.

# 7 BigBadTom @ 09/23/15 11:43 PM
I just hate to see how bad these missed throws are. I mean I get it and I think the percentages for accuracy are probably right on the money, but the misses are absolutely astounding how much they are off. It would be great to see the qb overthrow the WR by a few yards instead of 20yards out of bounds. Also they need to have more 'inaccurate' passes that get to the WR, but are low, high, behind or just not perfect passes. It seems way to much like either perfect pass or severe miss. Closer misses and more slightly off passes would do wonders for the gameplay realism

# 8 Brandwin @ 09/23/15 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Medium is 20-40 yards
Interesting. I didn't know that. Makes it easier to build up short and medium first. Thanks.

# 9 Greencollarbaseball @ 09/24/15 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Medium is 20-40 yards

Just to add to that in case some may not know.
The distances are measure from where you're throwing it from. Not the LOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 10 IlluminatusUIUC @ 09/24/15 11:36 AM
I like that they tuned accuracy down a little this year, but IMO they took it too far on the weak QBs and not enough on the good ones. IMO a QB that makes an NFL roster should be able to at least keep his throws inside the field when playing without a defense. Even Tim Tebow looked good in his pro day.

However, bad QBs should get larger penalties to accuracy when facing a rush and all QBs should take a penalty for a few plays after taking a thunderous hit in the pocket.

# 11 Cardot @ 09/24/15 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadTom
It would be great to see the qb overthrow the WR by a few yards instead of 20yards out of bounds. Also they need to have more 'inaccurate' passes that get to the WR, but are low, high, behind or just not perfect passes.
Agreed. They need more passes that are slightly off the mark....that is where the receiver ratings really matter. There are passes that a great receiver will grab, but a lesser receiver won't.

And in a practice drill with no defense, even a 3rd string NFL QB should be fairly accurate. The difference in real life being that the defensive pressure probably affects the weaker QB's more than it does the top QB's.....but it seems like defensive pressure may not impact the ratings in the game since it has already precalculated the QB's accuracy?

# 12 ven0m43 @ 09/24/15 01:24 PM
How come we didn't see any under thrown balls where the wr had to let up or comeback for the ball? I see under thrown balls more than over thrown balls in the NFL.

# 13 ggsimmonds @ 09/24/15 02:13 PM
Something to add in the future that others have touched on -- we absolutely need more passes that are a little off.
I want to see animations where the WR can get a fingertip on the ball but nothing else and not have a chance to make the catch.

As it is now, generally we know immediately whether the pass is accurate or not. I want to see more passes where we are holding our breath to see whether or not the WR can get to it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.