Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

If you've been on Twitter lately, you've no doubt been seeing Ramone Russell answer fans inquiries about why they were banned over the past couple of days.

Over the weekend, Ramone also posted in the SCEA Forums reiterating that breaking the rules and standards of the community could result in a console and PSN ID being banned.

Quote:
"If a player is found cheating, exploiting, harassing other players, or breaking the rules in game or here on The Show Nation forums, we will suspend the account for a limited time or even permanently ban the ID and console.

This isn't new and we've always been on the lookout for these types of players, but it's important to remind the community of the potential consequences that may await players if they decide to travel down the dark path."

Also of note via TheShowNation (Victor_SDS)

Quote:
There was an exploit related to cancelling transactions on the marketplace. If someone took advantage of this exploit egregiously, their ID would have been flagged and banned. Flipping cards on the market is not an offense. Buying and quick selling is not an offense. It had more process than just cancelling an order.

A number of players were banned in the past few days according to Ramone's Twitter Feed:

"We banned a number of users who exploited community market transactions. Bans will not be reversed, fyi flipping cards IS NOT an exploit.

Flipping cards doesn't get you banned, we encourage flipped cards, flipping cards is good for everyone."

Several users were quick to claim innocence but it appears Russell came armed with info, telling at least one user they were in the top 1% of offenders of the glitch. In fact, the SCEA investigation into the matter was three weeks long and involved multiple runs and checks of the same data.

This was a bold move by SCEA to protect the online gaming experience for many MLB The Show users. While bans are nothing new in the online gaming world, it does appear SCEA has taken some pretty dramatic steps in order to safeguard the online experience for gamers. While some of the bans are permanent, others are temporary and will last anywhere from days to weeks to months.

What do you think of the bans? Was SCEA right? Is this a good move?

UPDATE (6-30): via Twitter

Quote:
We hear your concerns. This is very important to us. We are looking into it. We thank you for your patience. More to come soon.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 extremeskins04 @ 06/29/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Here you go:

I was expecting the number of transaction to be a bit higher but >500K is a ton.

Yup Speedy. Sounds to me like someone doing it 33 times isn't "by accident'. These people clearly cheated the system. You don't accidentally do this 33 times lol.

# 122 ShowTyme15 @ 06/29/16 03:44 PM
This was sad and funny. Guy tried to call Ramone out and Ramone got him back. Guy did the exploit 41 times and got over 3 million stubs and had the audacity to ask what he did wrong. LOL the hilarity. Dude even said "Ramone I challenge you to tell what I did wrong."

# 123 dherrera1015 @ 06/29/16 03:47 PM
Anyone get banned but didn't cheat and wouldn't even know how to if they even tried?? I hope I'm not the only one. I sent an email to SSD last night. No reply yet.

Edit: I posted this without reading the thread because I was being lazy. Obviously there are others like me. I try to flip cards in the market, but only do one card at a time, usually an Altuve, Donaldson, Harper if he's cheap enough, and others. I've been making 1-4k profits for over a month now and have only really profited about 20-30k stubs (estimate). I don't understand the whole "cancel order" then "immediately cancel after" stuff. I do that when someone undercuts me, so I cancel my order and then put in a new one to undercut that guy again. I usually give up after awhile or if the profit margin is too small to even care enough anymore.

But isn't what I have done what everyone else does in the market? Or was this an example of me exploiting the system but I just wasn't aware? If it is the latter, well then that just doesn't make sense to me.

# 124 countryboy @ 06/29/16 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
This was sad and funny. Guy tried to call Ramone out and Ramone got him back. Guy did the exploit 41 times and got over 3 million stubs and had the audacity to ask what he did wrong. LOL the hilarity. Dude even said "Ramone I challenge you to tell what I did wrong."
What's sad is that no one accepts responsibility for any wrong doing, just keep trying to find someone to place the blame on.

You cheated and got caught. Deal with the consequences.

# 125 NDAlum @ 06/29/16 03:49 PM
I once got a paycheck that had like $1,500 extra on it. I knew it wasn't mine. I notified HR so they could find the mistake. I didn't keep it and tell my employer to eat the mistake.

Actually I also just closed on my house in June and they gave me an over payment of $2,000. I wrote a check to make things right.

# 126 ShowTyme15 @ 06/29/16 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
What's sad is that no one accepts responsibility for any wrong doing, just keep trying to find someone to place the blame on.

I know man. It's pathetic. Welcome to America.

# 127 redsox4evur @ 06/29/16 03:50 PM
Quote:
Here you go:

I was expecting the number of transaction to be a bit higher but >500K is a ton.

Thanks boss. And I can the lower # of transactions guys putting bids in on guys like Trout, Harper and any other high priced item. That's around 80K per time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 128 Speedy @ 06/29/16 03:52 PM
Sox, that makes me think...

I wonder if it was the same transaction being cancelled multiple times versus various ones over the length of time the game's been out. So if you have a Trout or Kershaw and cancel that transaction like 5 times (same day?) to get a ton of stubs. That kindly goes back to the line in the sand that SCEA determined was ban-worthy.

# 129 Finn @ 06/29/16 03:53 PM
Quote:

In addition how some think that the bans are only being handed out because Sony is angry and spiteful, forgetting the fact that the transaction of Stubs is a very real currency to them.

# 130 Ghost Of The Year @ 06/29/16 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
I think doing it once, maybe twice, is understandable. If you keep clicking and don't bother to report that it's not working, you start treading into murky water. Suddenly, you have a lot more stubs than you did before and you just go ahead and use them, it gets kinda tough to have people believe you didn't do it intentionally if you still reaped the benefits of it. That's not to say that it WAS intentional...just that it gets harder and harder to prove that it wasn't. Basically, it's what they BELIEVE your intent was. Whether that was actually true or not is something that you need to work out.

Think of it like depositing a check electronically. If you do it once and it doesn't show in your account so you keep doing it 10 times trying to get it to work and then just give up and never call. Then suddenly you have a bunch more money in your account so you go out and buy a new TV with the extra cash. The bank is going to report you for fraud first and then use their data to prosecute you. Now the burden is on you to explain why their data is incorrect. If you just tried twice, reported it, and/or didn't spend the money when you noticed it, it's much easier to say it was an accident.
This works fine with a bank, but not so much with a video game. Sony is always readjusting my stubs, I don't even know exactly how they determine it. I have no proof of what, or why, they give me what that give me. and whether it's even intentional on their part or an "accident'.
I don't use the stubs, I don't even know how many I have. The stubs & XP definitely needs the kinks worked out. I have noticed that I at one time I went from a 25 level XP back to 2, then up
to 17, then back to 25. I didn't report it. All I want to do is play a game of baseball. I am not going to spend my free time helping Sony keep up with their imaginary tokens that means diddly squat to me. If their stub & XP system doesn't work the way they want it, they need to shut it down, & fix it. If they can't do that, they need to fire the person irresponsible & hire someone more competent. I don't even buy & sell on the Show, & this makes me angry. I can only imagine how someone falsely accused feels.

# 131 Ghost Of The Year @ 06/29/16 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
Come on, there's a logical difference between someone doing it a couple of times versus 30 or 50 times.

There shouldn't need to be a limit that is set by Sony. People should use common sense. Don't cheat and you have nothing to worry about.

By your logic, if I robbed a bank, they should have fixed their slow response time, moved on with no prison time and the bank should just eat the loss.
You can't accidently rob a bank. But it sounds like you can accidently trigger this. If you buy & sell a lot, it wouldn;t be hard to trigger this a lot , esp. if you ty to cancel on your ps4 & see it didn't register while you're on your phone & try to cancel again.Sony screwed up in the first place by even making cancellations possible.

# 132 ShowTyme15 @ 06/29/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
then maybe say what it is so people don't accidentally do it. Most probably don't know it's an exploit and will get banned.
Ramon's response.
Quote:
you can't accidentally do it, we fixed
the exploit weeks ago.

# 133 countryboy @ 06/29/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
You can't accidently rob a bank. But it sounds like you can accidently trigger this. If you buy & sell a lot, it wouldn;t be hard to trigger this a lot , esp. if you ty to cancel on your ps4 & see it didn't register while you're on your phone & try to cancel again.Sony screwed up in the first place by even making cancellations possible.
Come on man people aren't idiots. These people KNEW exactly what they were doing and what was happening. They exploited/cheated the system.

If these people are fair and honest patrons, how come not one of them called Sony and said, "Hey I tried to cancel my transaction, but I still received the stubs without paying for them. How do we fix this?"

# 134 Speedy @ 06/29/16 04:15 PM
@ ShowTyme

If you cannot accidentally do it...how can it be provoked?

# 135 extremeskins04 @ 06/29/16 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Touche. You can't accidentally trigger this 30+ or 40+ times, get 3 million stubs and be like "i challenge you to tell me what I did wrong".

Um, no.

# 136 ShowTyme15 @ 06/29/16 04:19 PM
Quote:
@ ShowTyme

If you cannot accidentally do it...how can it be provoked?
I would guess by knowing how to do the exploit and doing it over and over intentionally.

Here's some numbers 26,32,41,58.............in some cases this is how many times some users used the exploit. That's systematic in my opinion.

By doing this some acquired over hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions in stubs.

# 137 redsox4evur @ 06/29/16 04:21 PM
Quote:
Sox, that makes me think...

I wonder if it was the same transaction being cancelled multiple times versus various ones over the length of time the game's been out. So if you have a Trout or Kershaw and cancel that transaction like 5 times (same day?) to get a ton of stubs. That kindly goes back to the line in the sand that SCEA determined was ban-worthy.
It's probably not the guys like Kershaw, Trout, Harper but the tier below that. The guys like Goldy, Cutch, etc. the guys that go for 15-20K. Because iirc from last year Trout, Kershaw, Harper all went for like 75K+. So the math doesn't add up there. And they do it 3 or 4 times a week.

# 138 dherrera1015 @ 06/29/16 04:21 PM
Can someone enlighten me? I'm totally confused.

Was the exploit in the in-game marketplace? Or were people buying stubs, cancelling the transaction on their credit card later, and then still getting the stubs without paying for them?

# 139 Ghost Of The Year @ 06/29/16 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Raymon's response.
Wait, Sony claims to have fixed the exploit WEEKS ago, but it can still be exploited?
That doesn't add up.
Quote:
Come on man people aren't idiots. These people KNEW exactly what they were doing and what was happening. They exploited/cheated the system.

If these people are fair and honest patrons, how come not one of them called Sony and said, "Hey I tried to cancel my transaction, but I still received the stubs without paying for them. How do we fix this?"
People ARE idiots. Sony has said doing this a few times is acceptable. I'm positive the great majorty deserved banning. But it sounds like Sony threw the baby out with the bath water & banned some people that didn't deserve it. Sony gives me stubs all the time, I don't know if it's intentional or not. I don't even have a clue exactly how many I have. I have no intention of using them. If Sony wants them back, they are welcome to climb into my ps4 & get them. But I'm not wasting my time keeping up with what stubs I think are legit mine, and then wasting more time on top of that tracking down what I think has wrongly been given to me. I would rather Sony just do away with all this stub businiess. It's a shame I can't just play baseball without having to worry about Sony beancounter **** up.

# 140 redsox4evur @ 06/29/16 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dherrera1015
Can someone enlighten me? I'm totally confused.

Was the exploit in the in-game marketplace? Or were people buying stubs, cancelling the transaction on their credit card later, and then still getting the stubs without paying for them?
In game marketplace. The rumor is they would place a buy order on a player. Then when it came time to cancel the order to put in a new they would do it twice (once on the console and once on a tablet, phone, pc, etc.).

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.