Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

Amazon has revealed some of the Madden NFL 18 features, as we get closer to an official announcement from EA Sports. Not only does it look like we will see new target passing, but it also mentions coverage assignments. Maybe we can finally assign the best corner vs. best receiver? EA is also giving users different play styles, ranging from Arcade, Simulation and Competitive.

Amazon also notes, Madden NFL 18 releases on August 25 for the Standard Edition ($59.99), but fans that pre-order the Madden NFL 18 G.O.A.T. Edition ($79.99), can get the game 3 days earlier, on August 22.

More details should be released soon.
  • Powered by Frostbite Madden Like You've Never Seen Before
  • Play Now Live
  • Play the best real world NFL match ups each week
  • Target passing
  • Play Styles - Arcade/Simulation/Competitive
  • Coverage Assignment
  • Coach Adjustments
  • Favorite Ways To Play MUT and Franchise
Madden NFL 18 takes a significant visual leap with the power of the Frostbite engine. See stunning new stadium exteriors surrounded by vast cityscapes and watch the spectacle of NFL game day come to life in the most photorealistic game to date. Play each matchup to your specifications by selecting from three new Play Styles or play the best real world match ups each week in Play Now Live! With the introduction of even more ways to play, coupled with your favorite modes, Madden Ultimate Team and Franchise, this is Madden like you've never seen before.

Pre-order today and receive up to $50 in additional value including three days early, full game access to Madden NFL 18: G.O.A.T. Edition. Start building your dynasty on day one with one of five Elite G.O.A.T. players, an Elite Player from your favorite NFL team, 12 Squad Packs, 2500 contracts and one uniform pack in Madden NFL 18 Ultimate Team, the complete NFL team-building mode where you build, play and win with your ultimate team of today's nfl superstars and legends.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 RogerDodger @ 05/13/17 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyNCAA14FB
And franchise mode is ALL I care about, if they add:
1.Create-a-draft class
2. And a team relocation/Re-branding option like NBA2K. Its a certified win for me
This might be just me but for Franchise mode to go beyond being stale and repetitious I want to see a whole lot more than that.

# 122 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/13/17 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double C
Coverage assignments sound really nice... For a feature that was in Madden 04 or 05 and will certainly be sold by EA as brand new.

Sent from my F8331 using Operation Sports mobile app
It might not even be what we are thinking, but if it is, why not be thankful instead of making these kinds of comments? What good does it do?

# 123 OhMrHanky @ 05/13/17 08:57 AM
Quote:
Coverage assignments sound really nice... For a feature that was in Madden 04 or 05 and will certainly be sold by EA as brand new.

I don't think this is what u think it is. I saw an explanation of this in another thread. It sounds sort of like the 'tackle cone'. I think during the play, if playing a defender in coverage, it's going to help direct u during the play, I believe. I think it's something for beginners or people who don't play pass d well to help them not be out of position or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 124 TDKing @ 05/13/17 09:09 AM
So if that's the case they need to change this to "Coverage Assist".

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

# 125 roadman @ 05/13/17 09:46 AM
We should wait until we get the real deal explanation in blogs and video regarding coverage assignments and any other added new features.

Too early to dig out the nuggets of beginning information trickling out.

# 126 OhMrHanky @ 05/13/17 10:04 AM
Here's the back of box description of coverage assignments.

"Coverage Assignment: Know your job in pass coverage with an on-screen, real-time UI system informing you of your coverage assignment in pass defense."

I think this pretty much sounds like 'Tackle cone' to me, unfortunately.

# 127 49UNCFan @ 05/13/17 10:06 AM
The 3 three playstyles I look at it from a great start. They can listen to all 3 communities and implement the features that they want into those certain playstyles now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

# 128 roadman @ 05/13/17 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Here's the back of box description of coverage assignments.

"Coverage Assignment: Know your job in pass coverage with an on-screen, real-time UI system informing you of your coverage assignment in pass defense."

I think this pretty much sounds like 'Tackle cone' to me, unfortunately.

Sound opinion, but this is filed under needs more information for me.

That could very well be back of the box chatter and later on in blogs we find out it's a bit deeper for SIM mode.

Also, I recall Clint wanting last year at EA Play to try to get coverage assignments in a title update for 17, but obviously, that didn't make the cut.

Also, there is this tweet exchange with Rex:

https://twitter.com/simmaddenleague/...57023350030341

# 129 CT Pitbull @ 05/13/17 10:15 AM
i just hope we can finally play a cold weather game without friggin snow. Damn its been like 7 years or more since they took that option away. Im all for improving player models and player movement as well but the little things mean a lot to me.

Im excited to see what this "simulation" mode is about and if it is going to be up to snuff for all us sim heads. If it is bravo EA for finally listening. But it better be done right and not just halfheartedly thrown in to shut us up.

Im hoping the crowd sounds like it does in the teaser but unfortunately it never does. Heinz field looked and sounded dope as hell in that video and hopefully the crowd is as live as it appeared to be in game as it is was in that trailer. Again we will have to wait and see.

# 130 OhMrHanky @ 05/13/17 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
i just hope we can finally play a cold weather game without friggin snow. Damn its been like 7 years or more since they took that option away. Im all for improving player models and player movement as well but the little things mean a lot to me.

Im excited to see what this "simulation" mode is about and if it is going to be up to snuff for all us sim heads. If it is bravo EA for finally listening. But it better be done right and not just halfheartedly thrown in to shut us up.

Im hoping the crowd sounds like it does in the teaser but unfortunately it never does. Heinz field looked and sounded dope as hell in that video and hopefully the crowd is as live as it appeared to be in game as it is was in that trailer. Again we will have to wait and see.

Yup. I'm a big crowd and field sound effects guy. I crank up the crowd and field noise, and turn other sounds down or off. But, even with crowd noise cranked, it still just doesn't quite do it for me. I thought they said they were working on more gameplay specific crowd noises for this game, so I'm hopeful. Maybe, frostbite helps with that. Like, more noise for a TD, INT, or sack. That, alone, for me, would be a big step towards immersion. Let me hear the crowd get LOUDER when I make a big play. This just still isn't there, yet. From the description, sounds like 18 might deliver on this.

# 131 Cusefan @ 05/13/17 10:38 AM
I'll probably buy it but I just hope franchise mode got a lot of love this year.

# 132 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/17 11:34 AM
Quote:
i just hope we can finally play a cold weather game without friggin snow. Damn its been like 7 years or more since they took that option away.
I mentioned this in the Heinz Field thread but I really hope weather is different. I was looking for this video:

Spoiler

and also came across a couple others as well.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't know why the Madden Moments or the Never Say Never moments were different with weather but every rain or snow game I've played for a while always looks like it's being played at night. It'd be nice to have all of these elements working together instead of independent of each other like the older Maddens where you could choose Temp, Wind, Precip, and Fog.

# 133 ODogg @ 05/13/17 11:49 AM
Quote:

This is why no matter what EA does they cannot win. #pathetic

# 134 ODogg @ 05/13/17 11:52 AM
Quote:

Weather is still not given the respect it deserves in Madden. They treat it as if it's just a visual aesthetic for the most part. Not only do we need more types of weather (like you said, cold weather without snow would be a nice start) but we need variable weather.

We also should ALWAYS be able to control weather, save maybe for online exhibition matches. If I want to play every single game of my Franchise in snow, no matter how little sense that makes, let me do it please.

# 135 ODogg @ 05/13/17 11:53 AM
Quote:
Yup. I'm a big crowd and field sound effects guy. I crank up the crowd and field noise, and turn other sounds down or off. But, even with crowd noise cranked, it still just doesn't quite do it for me. I thought they said they were working on more gameplay specific crowd noises for this game, so I'm hopeful. Maybe, frostbite helps with that. Like, more noise for a TD, INT, or sack. That, alone, for me, would be a big step towards immersion. Let me hear the crowd get LOUDER when I make a big play. This just still isn't there, yet. From the description, sounds like 18 might deliver on this.

This is where they need to steal from the FIFA team. The chants, the loudness, the roar when you steal the ball late in the game, the entire sound spectrum in that game is a big part of what makes it so exciting and inversely why Madden can seem so lifeless..

# 136 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/17 12:13 PM
Quote:
I want this too. Playing with a good headset helps but it seems like the crowd just isn't aware most of the situation most of the time and is easy to just completely tune out. I'd love to see the old NCAA Home Field advantage with the controller rumble and screen shake. Living Worlds really failed to deliver and they went a little overboard with some of the intricate sounds last year but they were still well done and it'd be nice to see them go all out on stadium sounds and crowd noise.

# 137 jfsolo @ 05/13/17 01:01 PM
If Coverage Assignments ends up working in concert with "Best on Best" then people will love it, or at worse be indifferent to it. If Best on Best is not in the game, then people are more likely to rip the feature apart, not because it's bad per se, but for a having a name that "tricked" them into thinking it was something else.

Also, Target Passing makes a lot of sense to me this year, because while playing M17, I was thinking, that if they fix the deep zones for M18,(they just couldn't finish them in time for M17) then passing will be much, much more difficult, especially for players that aren't exploit hunters.

# 138 Valaskjalf @ 05/13/17 02:29 PM
Well when it comes to sports games I only ever play career mode/francise mode, the co-op thing isnt really appealing to me. So unless there is a major update to CFM I'm holding off on this. The little info we've seen so far has been the most generic description of franchise it could very well have been copied and pasted directly from Madden 15/16.

Guess I will wait for the EA play update or reviews....I don't need Madden to look better, it already looks good. Also don't need faster ways of simming through my CFM games or even more of this "play the moment" rubbish - That's the opposite of Simulation and immersion. Just have to wait and see I guess.

# 139 fballturkey @ 05/13/17 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Sound opinion, but this is filed under needs more information for me.

That could very well be back of the box chatter and later on in blogs we find out it's a bit deeper for SIM mode.

Also, I recall Clint wanting last year at EA Play to try to get coverage assignments in a title update for 17, but obviously, that didn't make the cut.

Also, there is this tweet exchange with Rex:

https://twitter.com/simmaddenleague/...57023350030341
I'll be livid if this doesn't "make the cut" again.

# 140 jet546 @ 05/13/17 05:04 PM
Heard that specific chin strap is only exclusive to Tom Brady which kinda sucks because many players wear that same chin strap like P. Rivers, J. Winston, T.Siemien and many more. But it was so needed on Brady that Im not complaining

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.