Home

JoshC1977's M16 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's M16 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #2425
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's M16 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Gunfighter
Finally found enough free time to get in a couple of games...

To set the stage, I play Coach Mode and am using the settings from the OP including the 50/56 FM and the 75 man preseason roster. I am playing as the Broncos because...ummm, I like the Broncos and needed a change from playing as my Saints. And I always like playing with a tough D and I never get that opportunity with the Saints. I also liked the idea of finding Manning's replacement.

So, I simmed the first season after which Manning retired as planned, we were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. I mimicked the Broncos off season letting FAs leave who left and signing FAs they signed. The exception to this was at QB, Sanchez re-signed and I ended up signing RGIII.

Games have been very realistic and pretty much what I expected from my team. Strong D and a struggling offense.

Game 1 vs OAK, was a hard fought win, 20-13. Carr had a pretty good game and with a 13-10 lead late in the 4th he was positioning the Raiders for a game clinching TD or at the very least a lead extending FG. However, my D rose to the occasion and a stripe sack by Miller resulted in a fumble recovery and returned for a TD by my DE Wilson. Leading 17-13 I picked off Carr on the first pass of the next OAK series and settled for a FG to go up 20-13. I kicked off with under 1:30 left and my D was able to seal the deal as OAK turned the ball over on downs. 1-0.

Game 2 vs TEN was another defensive battle. We squeaked out a 13-10 win as defense ruled the day once again. Neither offense could get much going although I did manage 101 yds with Anderson but he only averaged 3.5 ypc. After being shutdown most of the game he was clutch late, getting the bulk of his yards and a couple of 1st downs to run out the clock. 2-0!

2 very defensive games but all-in-all I think both these games played out like what I would have expected to see based on the teams. Both games were realistic, enjoyable and played out very nicely based on the the ratings of each team. Denver's D is stout but with RGIII (a 73 ovr) at QB and a very young offensive line the offense is struggling. When he gets hurt, as we all know he will, I'll put in my rookie, Roberts, and see what he's made of. Drafted him in the 5th round and he is a Superstar DEV. After 2 games my D is ranked 4th and my O is like 31st I think.

Things to note; Number of plays has been spot on as has total yardage. QB completion % seemed high at times but overall has averaged out very well. Although the running game has seemed a bit anemic I have seen good runs inside and outside. The defensive play has been tight but in a good way. I have not seen the sticky line play some have complained of, in fact my stars on D have looked like stars with big plays from guys like Miller and Marshall. Miller pretty much won the first game single handedly with 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. I'm loving the animations and flow of the game and have seen a good amount of penalties too. My only real complaint, I am getting next to no subs and haven't seen any significant injuries through 2 games, admittedly it is only 2 games.

So far I'm thrilled with the way these are playing. I'd like to see a bit more offense maybe but it's only 2 games and it's how my team is built. Many thanks to Josh and all the others who have contributed, I have been following this thread from day one and have seen a lot of great input from the OS community. Josh's work has always been exemplary, his dedication and attention to the details has produced a better game of Madden than most of us thought was possible. Not to mention his unfailing commitment to this thread, answering any and every question, some of them asked multiple times. Josh, if you're ever in the Big Apple hit me up, I'd love to by you a beer!
Thanks for the good feedback and kind words Gunfighter....very much appreciated my friend.

I hear you about the subs....but the one thing I will say is that subs are still happening when they should (like after long runs or after players get used a lot on a long drive).

The more I thought about it though, it occurred to me that many (if not most) subs happen in real life as a result of strategic decisions (different packages or to change things up). D-linemen rotate to a) keep them fresh but more importantly to b) fit the scheme for the down/distance (i.e. remove that 330 lb DT on 3rd down for the pass rushing DT). Why are 3-down RBs and LBs so valuable in real life? Because so few RBs and LBs are good at all facets of the game and can be assets on all three downs.

M16 doesn't make it easy to do wholesale formation subs, but they can be done. I've started employing packages more during games and also making formation-specific subs to remove 1-dimensional personnel. I've been contemplating using a team with a crap defense, grabbing some cheap, 1-dimensional FAs (who likely have mediocre overall ratings) and then mixing/matching them. This a) feels more "coach-like" to me and b) really forces one to use their entire roster without going down the fatigue setting route (which seemed to really water-down the game difficulty).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #2426
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

So, I got in a few different games in using three different teams with this setup. Man, do teams' strengths and weaknesses show.

Used Cleveland...ok defense and crap passing attack (decent run game). Played Jets and all three came through.

Three games with kc...good defense and solid, but inconsistent offense. Defense (especially run) solid in all three except for Rodgers exposing secondary for 400+ yards when I was up big. Offense was solid in one game, horrible in a second, and awesome in a third.

One game with NYG...bad defense and so so offense. Got gashed on ground by Dallas and offense was held just under 300 yards.

I'm 2-3 in those five games. Pretty much what I would expect.

I'm very pleased with the new adjustment to 50/56 facemask. Hope this serves to hold us over till M17....I cannot wait!!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #2427
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Thanks for the good feedback and kind words Gunfighter....very much appreciated my friend.

I hear you about the subs....but the one thing I will say is that subs are still happening when they should (like after long runs or after players get used a lot on a long drive).

The more I thought about it though, it occurred to me that many (if not most) subs happen in real life as a result of strategic decisions (different packages or to change things up). D-linemen rotate to a) keep them fresh but more importantly to b) fit the scheme for the down/distance (i.e. remove that 330 lb DT on 3rd down for the pass rushing DT). Why are 3-down RBs and LBs so valuable in real life? Because so few RBs and LBs are good at all facets of the game and can be assets on all three downs.

M16 doesn't make it easy to do wholesale formation subs, but they can be done. I've started employing packages more during games and also making formation-specific subs to remove 1-dimensional personnel. I've been contemplating using a team with a crap defense, grabbing some cheap, 1-dimensional FAs (who likely have mediocre overall ratings) and then mixing/matching them. This a) feels more "coach-like" to me and b) really forces one to use their entire roster without going down the fatigue setting route (which seemed to really water-down the game difficulty).
Josh, I agree completely about the subs, now days in the NFL I think the majority of substitutions are package based or situational. With the conditioning of today's athletes it isn't too often guys have to come out of the game from fatigue. That being said Madden doesn't make it easy to substitute players nearly as often as it is done in real life using packages so it was nice to at least get some subbing from the fatigue. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and do the manual subs. Hopefully this will be addressed in '17.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" -Tuco
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #2428
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Josh and others:

Huge news, just found out that auto subs are fixed for 18.

Now back to your regular tweaking.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #2429
Rookie

OVR: 0

How do you guys set your package subs? I have tried to set package subs on defense, but always run out of time before it auto selects my play. I would love to have a nickel package with all of my speed rushers in it.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #2430
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellman
How do you guys set your package subs? I have tried to set package subs on defense, but always run out of time before it auto selects my play. I would love to have a nickel package with all of my speed rushers in it.
Very quickly

Sometimes it takes a play or two to get them in. Some teams though have a 4 DE package that you call for nickel and dime looks (not just referring to the NYG's 'Nascar' package).
Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #2431
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Josh and others:

Huge news, just found out that auto subs are fixed for 18.

Now back to your regular tweaking.
I hope you meant 17 and not 18

Regardless, I don't believe auto subs are broken on M16 per se (provided that you set the CFM autosubs as well). The issue is more that a 50 fatigue setting isn't as effective as it should be at getting players to sub out (they were pretty good though before the last patch/tuner). Sure, you can set fatigue higher and they work fine, but doing that has a deleterious effect on the gameplay dynamics (and difficulty) when using default sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #2432
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I hope you meant 17 and not 18

Regardless, I don't believe auto subs are broken on M16 per se (provided that you set the CFM autosubs as well). The issue is more that a 50 fatigue setting isn't as effective as it should be at getting players to sub out (they were pretty good though before the last patch/tuner). Sure, you can set fatigue higher and they work fine, but doing that has a deleterious effect on the gameplay dynamics (and difficulty) when using default sliders.
Yeah, duh, I mean 17, thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »