Home

Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

This is a discussion on Interesting article regarding Madden ratings within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

Most of us don't agree with Donny's ratings (still scratching my head over Russell Wilson) but his ratings are one of the biggest marketing tools for EA to sell to the all important casual gamers. They want to see their favorite players have a tangible number that they can equate to how good he is vs their friends favorite players. I wish sports games would get away from the number ratings entirely, its one of the few things in sports gaming that has never evolved in over 3 decades. Personally none of it really affects me as I edit everything myself when I first get the game. It takes a little bit of time but it also helps me to learn who is on what team, which becomes very important in my CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90
I'm not really sure if anyone is noticing but in the Tennessee highlight, that is definitively a helmet-to-helmet no call. You can tell by 1. the sound of the hit itself, 2. how shaken up Spears is after the hit, I've only ever seen a tackler shaken up like that after a helmet-to-helmet collision. So for an illegal hit by a Kicker he gets a higher hit power then at least three defenders who are probably bigger then he is? If that's the case Brandon Meriweather must have the highest hit power, or DaShon Goldson. Half the time Helmet-to-Helmet is rewarded, Kickers and Punters, and half the time its a fine and a penalty, anyone else.

Ether way I'm not really sure why a Kicker/Punter would or should get a higher hit power then any other player.

Helmet to Helmet from a tackler and a ball carrier is fine, as long as they don't use the crown of their helmet. Helmet to helmet is only a rule on defenseless players. Also Patterson lowered his head the very end, causing the Helm to Helm.

I get your point otherwise.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1

They really need to get a real scouting team to do the ratings and playbooks. I have been saying this for years, have two modes on Madden. Arcade (how it is now, with ratings, game play, playbooks) and Sim (with all new ratings, playbooks and game play). That way they would still appeal to the masses with the simple game it is now and also have a more in-depth mode that allows people who actually know the x's and o's of real football enjoy the game as well. This is why they need competition, i.e. 2K. I truly love football, but playing Madden is just not that fun for me anymore.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #28
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf90

Ether way I'm not really sure why a Kicker/Punter would or should get a higher hit power then any other player.
Because this dude levels people in real life, he has more than one video of him lighting people up. Shouldn't matter what position you play when you jack someone up like he does.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #29
Rookie

crenk's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...ers-attention/

Moore uses all sorts of metrics and measurements to come up with ratings. Then, he tweaks the numbers weekly after watching all the games and pondering feedback from fans and even the players themselves.

this is off twitter yesterday somebody posted this story.
I would like to see something like this incorporated into ratings.

Players should have some fluctuation built into them to account for the ups and downs of some player performance. Players like Manning and Brady should have a low fluctuation rating and therefore the high overall number they possess will be on display most of the time.

Your lesser players should have a low fluctuation rating so their lesser abilities are on display most of the time. And some players should have a high fluctuation rating so that they can have a good game one week and bad the next or a good 3 or 4 and then an absolute stinker or two.

A high rated player with a high fluctuation is generally consistent but can have a real sh*t game or two in a season.

Likewise a low rated player with a high fluctuation rating will have a string of crap games with the occasional gem thrown in.

This would go a long way towards making players feel different across a season or career.
To me it also makes more sense then Donny Moore going in and tweaking somebody's abilities because they had one monster game and then a few weeks later lowering them again because they reverted back to their true talent.
This attribute would also be good for rookies because it will account for the ups and downs that they face. True stars could begin to shed the high fluctuation rating after a season or two and turn into more consistent pro's
Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #30
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Dude's nickname is MurderLeg.

Ratings don't suck only because of Donnie Moore. Its the rating system itself.

- Ratings should only be by position, there's no way he should have to put a number in for a QBs spectacular catch, catch in traffic, man coverage, and jumping lol.

- Ratings shouldn't be number based, they should be on a scale 1-5 or poor to excellent scale, and each position should have separate ratings
- QB: Throw Power, Throw Accuracy, Pocket Presence, Reaction to Pressure, Ball Security, Sprint Speed... CB: Locate Ball, backpedal, reaction to ball, tackling, man coverage, zone coverage, etc.

- Get rid of OVERALL, Awareness is one of the biggest factors in overall, and has about nothing to do with actual gameplay.

- Make a Rating System, where EVERY RATING means something in the game. Poor block shedding but VERY GOOD Pass Rush for an OLB means you almost never want him in against the run, but will try him in passing situations.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #31
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Dude's nickname is MurderLeg.

- Ratings should only be by position, there's no way he should have to put a number in for a QBs spectacular catch, catch in traffic, man coverage, and jumping lol.

- Ratings shouldn't be number based, they should be on a scale 1-5 or poor to excellent scale, and each position should have separate ratings
- QB: Throw Power, Throw Accuracy, Pocket Presence, Reaction to Pressure, Ball Security, Sprint Speed... CB: Locate Ball, backpedal, reaction to ball, tackling, man coverage, zone coverage, etc.

- Get rid of OVERALL, Awareness is one of the biggest factors in overall, and has about nothing to do with actual gameplay.

- Make a Rating System, where EVERY RATING means something in the game. Poor block shedding but VERY GOOD Pass Rush for an OLB means you almost never want him in against the run, but will try him in passing situations.
Wholeheartedly agree, I always thought another problem was he had to boost various ratings just to get the overall he wanted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013

This was so good, it needs to be repeated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »