Home

Regression in 17

This is a discussion on Regression in 17 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #73
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Regression in 17

There really is no quantifiable way to see if players lose speed as they get older other than the eye test. I think injuries should be the biggest factor is how a player regresses physically. There should also be a work ethic trait. Adrian Peterson is an anomaly at his age and it's due to his work ethic. The regression system needs to be a lot deeper. I thought NFL head coach had a decent grasp on this. But a lot of players have a short career. The ones who stick around aren't the fastest anymore but they're more savvy.

Sent from my LG-AS991 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #74
Rookie

cooper417's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
No argument from me!

I'm just saying I'm ok with it. It's way better than the -10's we had. If a -2 is the cap I'm pretty damn happy.
Exactly. Instead of seeing a 32 year old WR in FA with 73 speed you get basically a "-2" cap per attribute.

And if you don't like it, take the time to go through & edit the players as you see fit.

-2 speed is nothing compared to what we saw in the previous 2 Maddens when players just missed their 2nd tier goals.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #75
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper417
And if you don't like it, take the time to go through & edit the players as you see fit.
I love having full player editing back. But I don't like this as an answer to fix something that may not be realistic because I don't want to edit ALL 32 teams. I would rather have a regression system that emulates how regression works in the real NFL world. I know we need to create abstractions, but I would like the abstractions to be realistic.

I don't have M17 yet, so I guess I'll have to wait and see, but what I'm reading in this thread, it seems like another arcade abstraction to me. This may be (and probably is) better than previous years (from M13 on), so that would be a plus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #76
Rookie

OVR: 0

A slider for regression would be nice. Kind of like how they implemented an xp slider last year.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexInOrd
A slider for regression would be nice. Kind of like how they implemented an xp slider last year.
I honestly was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #78
Pro

drewst18's Arena

I love everything in terms of regression with the exception of some of the "skill based" regression. Oh looking at Mr price's images, Vonte Davis regression looks great (lost physicals, stayed same in skill , improved play recognition)

Why green losses from route running or catching is a bit silly (I would like to see catching stay even and route running improve over time). Although at the age of 32 he is still elite in the game even with the regression. Overall I think this is a fantastic addition.

Also the if you don't like it then edit it answer is what were going to go with for every roster issue from now on that's a cop out. Shouldn't have to edit every player every season.

Although in this case turning up XP sliders can offset regression
Old 08-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #79
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I love having full player editing back. But I don't like this as an answer to fix something that may not be realistic because I don't want to edit ALL 32 teams. I would rather have a regression system that emulates how regression works in the real NFL world. I know we need to create abstractions, but I would like the abstractions to be realistic.
So wait, how would you be able to make regression duplicate how it works in the real NFL world?

If Julio Jones, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson AND OBJ all hit the age of 30, how would you be able to determine the regression of their speed? You telling me you'd be able to tell that OBJ didn't lose a millisecond of speed but AJ Green did so we should drop him a few points and keep OBJ going strong?

Touchdowns and Yards aren't a determining factors of speed and acceleration.

Instead wouldn't it be more realistic and make more sense to drop ALL four of them by 2 points in speed because they're aging? Maybe if OBJ kept his awareness, spec catch, and other catching attributes that would be different. Or if AJ Green had alot of YAC, then let him keep his elusivness, awareness, etc.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 08-19-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #80
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60

I don't have M17 yet, so I guess I'll have to wait and see, but what I'm reading in this thread, it seems like another arcade abstraction to me. This may be (and probably is) better than previous years (from M13 on), so that would be a plus.
Yes , everytime i hear that reasoning , i cringe as a commish of a 32 user online league. You know how big of a pain in our butt that is? Seriously.Because , first off, i agree with Bucky and many others here, this "style" of regression is not realistic , and in our online leagues, its going to make each year after they regress a pain in the butt. If you edit one player at all back up, you will have 31 other guys giving you a list of guys on their teams that needs same fair treatment. Which if your a fair commish , you gotta do.

Or you do nothing and watch as these should be star players end up in FA quickly just like last year.Plus, this doesnt even take into account the loss if they have bad weeks during the year, as ive seen players lose 2 points in numerous areas for that too. In an online league, its not as simple as just upping the xp slider. Because that xp can be used on all players in numerous ways. You will be lucky to gain 28k in a season for a player , but imagine if you upped the xp so that wasnt so hard. What about those guys who arent regressing, how large could you boost them in 1 season. See , that arguement holds a whole dif bag of issues with that "fix" .

So then your back to editing them as a commish yourself, for everyone , or no one. Just a bigger pain then i think many understand.

Reguardless of how you want to spin it, is not realistic that everyone declines to a point they are not as useful at the "magic" age of 29.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/photos/...on-wake-063015

92 % of starting rosters in 2014 were 29 and over....92% people. Im willing to bet , that number would be much lower in an online league .Because as someone mentioned before, you can tell me speed dont mean as much in madden now, but then i question if you are really playing in an online league or not. Sure the speed numbers are not quite as high in the actual number but its still a noticeable difference in speeds of players. A WR and CB losing 2 points at age 28,29 then 30 , thats a drop of 6 speed ( and prob accel) points. That is big.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

Last edited by howboutdat; 08-19-2016 at 11:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »