Home

ITS TIME FOR CHANGE (PRESENTATION)

This is a discussion on ITS TIME FOR CHANGE (PRESENTATION) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #33
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: ITS TIME FOR CHANGE (PRESENTATION)

Re-posting these bullet points from a post I made in the "Top 5 Franchise Mode Improvements" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
3. Customizable In-Game CFM Broadcast Presentation
It's already a great idea to toggle on/off the score ticker and XP notifications. I'd almost take it one step further and implement an MLB The Show styled "broadcast package" to cater to any type of player. "Video Game" for those who want heads up displays, extreme closeups and on-screen XP gains, "Hybrid/Custom" for those who want a customizable experience and "True Broadcast" with real-life stadium angles and increased amounts of stat banners, commentator anecdotes and in-game cutaways. And if anyone wants their own experience, put every presentation option on a yes or no toggle (or a none/some/frequent for replays and stat banners).

4. Expand Larry Ridley's Role as Studio Host (pre-game, halftime, cutaways, post-game, weekly wrap?)
Some Madden fans aren't that fond of Larry but I think he does a pretty good job in the really limited amount of things he presents. I think it has less to do with his voice acting and more to do with the technology/direction. Give him his own 3D model and have him host an interactive pre-game with dynamic commentary. Have him break in like NCAA 14's Rece Davis every other drive with relevant full-screen score updates (kind of like what Brandon and Charles are doing in audio format only this year). Expand halftime coverage to something similar to NBA Live and its specific, skippable stats and highlight reels. Bring back the old post-game highlight reel including the player of the game and break down his stats. Finally, if time allows, have Larry break down the top plays and games of the week in the menu. Replay data could be automatically saved and uploaded to the cloud/hard drive after every game and loaded into the highlight reel after the commissioner force advances.

5. "Virtual Director" and Expanded Real-Time Presentation (as in FIFA series)
Since FIFA 14 on next-gen, everything in the FIFA series happens in real time. Madden's been trying to reverse this trend in recent years, but still relies on canned cutscenes and assumes every player skips things over. In FIFA, players get showcased if they're in form, disgruntled, coming off a great performance or recently acquired. The camera often goes back to these players after big plays, no matter where they may be on the field (e.g. if Pogba makes a great tackle, they'll go back and show it the next stoppage). Show opposing QB's on the sideline with their headsets on. Show the injured starting QB barking orders to his backup. Show the embarrassment in the eyes of a burned defensive back after a big gain or the reaction of the quarterback whose interception lead to his opponent's go-ahead TD. It happens every once in a while, but not very often. (I know this is much more of a nuts-and-bolts suggestion rather than a franchise suggestion but I work in sports broadcasting and there's a lot of stuff Madden gets wrong compared to other games on the market...but it also does a lot of things right, and it really needs to build on that potential instead of scrapping it just to look "new"...EA's own FIFA is a great place to draw inspiration from in that regard).
Forgot to mention that players running in/out from the sidelines and real-time substitutions would be great. Another thing that happens in NBA Live/2K, FIFA and NHL in real time during gameplay and that hasn't been seen in Madden since the 16-bit days.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #34
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Re-posting these bullet points from a post I made in the "Top 5 Franchise Mode Improvements" thread.

Forgot to mention that players running in/out from the sidelines and real-time substitutions would be great. Another thing that happens in NBA Live/2K, FIFA and NHL in real time during gameplay and that hasn't been seen in Madden since the 16-bit days.
Imagine an NBA game where you didn't see a player leave the court and another one enter. Now you mention it, Madden should have had this a long time ago.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #35
Rookie

Cato06's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsmallville
To be fair, Madden 10 & 11 on 360 & PS3 had weekly wrap up shows. It was called "The Extra Point" and featured Fran Charles and....I forget her name. It just didn't have highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Yes, I remember, but it did not give anything other than scores I think. From what I remember, there was no highlights like you said, no playoff picture, no weekly awards, no talk of draft prospects. It was literally the most boring and poorly thought out weekly show ever.

Also in my OP I did say I don't want real life videos/people mixed into the presentation. It takes away from the immersion and reminds me I'm playing a video game. Maybe that doesn't bother some people but that's a BIG NO NO for me. It's the lazy way out IMO to not have to create the animation. I'd rather them take their time even if it takes a couple years to get it right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #36
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
I played the NBA Live 18 demo and seeing the ESPN presentation, it's an absolute crime that EA shows no interest whatsoever in incorporating that - OR NFL Network presentation - OR BOTH - into the videogame. Details make a massive difference, presentation keeps the game fresh, realistic, informative and stops it becoming stale.

I'll piggy back on this aspect. I played NBA live 18 today and seen they have a pretty detailed halftime show. It is Espn sports center themed with the tabs of topics along side of screen.

They had "play of the half, player of the half, team stats, each teams top 3 performers, top 3 plays of the half.

Of course the commentary wasn't very good but I definitely was better than maddens.

Great post OP I'll tell you in my mind what madden leaves out that 2k and show don't and it grows immersion.

Madden never reflects they never look back at history of game, history of the sport. There's so much dialogue that could be put into the game historically. Team rivalries rivalries ; matchup rivalries; city history and culture. Madden forgets football fans like so much more than fireworks and whatever happened "last season"

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #37
Rookie

The biggest problem is with their data that they pour over and use as justification for things being/not being implemented.
They like to talk about usage statistics for mut/CFM/play now. They say offline CFM isn't all that popular...it's only played %of the time, etc.
What they DON'T look at is WHY it's played less. It's played less because it sucks.
If they looked at their numbers, I would bet the usage is substantially higher right after the release date, and drops in the following months. It's because the mode is full, boring, and lifeless. It literally feels like 16 play now games, no connection to a football league at all.
The ticker helped a bit...but even it jumped all over the place with no total immersion into MY LEAGUE.
The playoffs have the same feel as the season, the season has the same feel as preseason...off-season is dead. I don't think I made it past the Midway point in a season on 17. I just couldn't stand the boredom of it anymore.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #38
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

And like someone mentioned, give us the ability to change the scoreboard display. Let's go back to an 80's vibe, or 90's. How sweet would that be? Give us those type of options it can really give the game a different feel if you can change the presentation around a bit. Whoever played Madden remembered that feature where you could change the atmosphere to the "AFL" mode that made the screen look like an old Vintage movie. They remove all the best things about Madden and it's never to be seen again.

I want more stat screens popping up between plays with more detail for the players. Not just the same things they've been using for years now. I want immersion. I want it to jump out at me and be easy to read and easy to understand. In fact, some of the older madden games had more frequently stat screens pop up with a little more viable information than just yards. Even a little history here and there (I think that was Madden 10). Definitely needs revamped. The crowd still doesn't seem like it's really energized when something really big happens. Just still seems scripted and not organic and the "crowd" thing has been like this for too long.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #39
Pro

OVR: 7

Another thing that should be added or brought back is a sideline reporter updating you on injuries, coaches thoughts etc.

I feel as though CFM and presentation is so poor because they want you to get bored with it and switch to playing MUT.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #40
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

It's a small thing, but having a consistent framerate between gameplay and cutscenes makes a huge difference in presentation on the PS4 Pro version of Madden 18.

Seeing closeups of players running, post-play celebrations and replays happening in 60FPS gives it a bit of a similar vibe to the old 2K games.

I'm not saying this is a dramatic change. We'll all get used to it after a while and it'll likely bring us back to our usual gripes. But it makes enough of a difference where the game now feels seamless in presentation.

I just hope they expand on it enough. As GisherJohn said just above me, they scrap things way too soon, inexplicably remove features and would rather call something "all new" instead of building up what's already there. That's what separates Madden from FIFA or NBA 2K in the presentation department (among a lot of other things).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »