Home

"One Game, One Goal, One Community" is a ridiculously bad goal.

This is a discussion on "One Game, One Goal, One Community" is a ridiculously bad goal. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #49
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: "One Game, One Goal, One Community" is a ridiculously bad goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
One thing that was in the MUT Men podcast that hasn't been talked about here is Rex's statement that he's not just the CD of gameplay anymore, that he now has more input into MUT and more importantly IMO, CFM, and that Clint is now the design lead of the gameplay team.

This is a very good thing, IMO, because despite people being upset with his statement that is the OP, I feel like he's been the best advocate for the sim community, and will always fight for gameplay features for our style.
I'm not seeing it. I'm going by his words and his words show that their focus is on a different community.

Whats frustrating is the lack of long term planning. They added in the PI and Defensive Holding animations two years ago right? Given the amount of contact they have with the comp community and their Gamechangers program, they had to know that the comp community would hate defensive holding and more penalties.

Knowing that you would think that they would say "Lets connect the likelihood of a holding animation occurring to the slider so that if the comp crowd doesnt want it, we can lower that penalty by slider and the sim crowd can use the slider to get as many calls as they want".

This **** isnt that hard. It really isnt. If I wanted to I could make NBA 2k the most arcade basketball game around simply by using sliders and options. Same with the Show. But its this "one size fits all goal" that has handicapped EA games for years.

It doesnt ****ing work.

Even the game I'm working on (UFC) has started to see that and is skewing toward a more sim experience and I think people will like it. Madden either needs to make a choice and choose which play style it wants to use or give us the tools to tailor the game how ever we want it.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #50
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'm not seeing it. I'm going by his words and his words show that their focus is on a different community.

Whats frustrating is the lack of long term planning. They added in the PI and Defensive Holding animations two years ago right? Given the amount of contact they have with the comp community and their Gamechangers program, they had to know that the comp community would hate defensive holding and more penalties.

Knowing that you would think that they would say "Lets connect the likelihood of a holding animation occurring to the slider so that if the comp crowd doesnt want it, we can lower that penalty by slider and the sim crowd can use the slider to get as many calls as they want".

This **** isnt that hard. It really isnt. If I wanted to I could make NBA 2k the most arcade basketball game around simply by using sliders and options. Same with the Show. But its this "one size fits all goal" that has handicapped EA games for years.

It doesnt ****ing work.

Even the game I'm working on (UFC) has started to see that and is skewing toward a more sim experience and I think people will like it. Madden either needs to make a choice and choose which play style it wants to use or give us the tools to tailor the game how ever we want it.
im just glad to see its not just me .......

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #51
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

It doesnt ****ing work.

Great points man and I thought that's how the modes would work this year.. If you don't like the PI and DH calls simply turn them down via slider or have the sliders preset like 2k does in their various modes..but to completely take them out is terrible and then the reasoning behind it is even more perplexing...Like you I am not seeing it either, the words and focus trend to something different.The game on surface is technically able to be tailored to each persons liking but the sliders don't work as intended..I am a big proponent of pI and DH calls as they influence the game which happens in real life....that's sim real football..why this was nerfed or taken out in favor of competitive crowd complaints is beyond me....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #52
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
If you don't like the PI and DH calls simply turn them down via slider or have the sliders preset like 2k does in their various modes.
But you see there is a huge flaw in that thinking.....because first, the sliders must actually work to begin with, which it doesnt. And now recently they have admitted how they need to work in the penalty sliders ..... but that just leaves one to question , what the #$5^ are they doing in the game at all if they do not work right and basically no one at EA can even give a definitive answer to what they really effect by turning them up or down.....

But hey they gonna start working on that soon .... so maybe in 10 years they finally get them working and can finally explain them.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #53
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
But you see there is a huge flaw in that thinking.....because first, the sliders must actually work to begin with, which it doesnt. And now recently they have admitted how they need to work in the penalty sliders ..... but that just leaves one to question , what the #$5^ are they doing in the game at all if they do not work right and basically no one at EA can even give a definitive answer to what they really effect by turning them up or down.....

But hey they gonna start working on that soon .... so maybe in 10 years they finally get them working and can finally explain them.
Absolutely right man that's the problem they are not working at all. And then to give a pseudo explanation of why they aren't working just won't cut it this far along into the cycle. I thought madden 16 had the great mixture of wr/db interactions along with DH and PI calls..why take them out why not build upon them?..it's like they say lets take a feature out make the crowd want it again and then reintroduce it as a revamped and new feature..Like others have said just be honest upfront ..but that goes back to selective marketing which I am not going to get into again..
Old 11-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #54
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Absolutely right man that's the problem they are not working at all. And then to give a pseudo explanation of why they aren't working just won't cut it this far along into the cycle. I thought madden 16 had the great mixture of wr/db interactions along with DH and PI calls..why take them out why not build upon them?..it's like they say lets take a feature out make the crowd want it again and then reintroduce it as a revamped and new feature..Like others have said just be honest upfront ..but that goes back to selective marketing which I am not going to get into again..
This.

You know what I love about most other games....they build on things they did before. I'll give you an example:

NBA 2k17 had a dynamic substitutions feature that is a great feature (even though it has some bugs). Its primarily geared toward sim players and even most sim players dont use it because its time consuming. Only nerds like me use it regularly. 2k couldve said "We gave them this feature last year and even though its buggy we wont add to it" but they didnt. They added more features to it this year and even though some bugs remain, they vowed to fix those next year.

on the flip side.....

Madden gave us formation subs back a year ago and as a sim player I was happy with that. It was buggy as hell and a little incomplete in 2016. What did they do in '17 to that feature? Absolutely nothing. Same bugs. Same missing features. Not a single thing.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #55
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

These guys know who their audience is. Anything they add that seems to have a "sim" base is just to pacify us. The game is not built or developed with simulation football in mind. It's all lip service, the actions speak louder. Just glad to see people recognize the lack of focus and ineptitude of this dev team.

With all that said, I still have my moments with the game that are fun and show flashes of a truly good football game, just lacks a true polish and consistency.

Like most have said, I'd rather them just keep it 100, than trying to tell me what I want to hear. This one foot in one foot out way of developing this game just ruins the experience at times.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #56
Banned

Brightline's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
This.

You know what I love about most other games....they build on things they did before. I'll give you an example:

NBA 2k17 had a dynamic substitutions feature that is a great feature (even though it has some bugs). Its primarily geared toward sim players and even most sim players dont use it because its time consuming. Only nerds like me use it regularly. 2k couldve said "We gave them this feature last year and even though its buggy we wont add to it" but they didnt. They added more features to it this year and even though some bugs remain, they vowed to fix those next year.

on the flip side.....

Madden gave us formation subs back a year ago and as a sim player I was happy with that. It was buggy as hell and a little incomplete in 2016. What did they do in '17 to that feature? Absolutely nothing. Same bugs. Same missing features. Not a single thing.
This is to what i refer. They cannot chart a course and stick with it. Too many examples to name so ill stick with i.e., gameflow, game planning, owner mode, relocation, formation subs, qb accuracy, penalties, zone coverage, fight for the fumble, jump the snap, lead blocker, weapons, trophy room, play designer, dynamic ratings, dynamic player traits, progressive lighting, throw trajectories,

This game really feels like each month they put someone new in charge.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »