Home

Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

This is a discussion on Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2005, 10:54 AM   #1737
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70
Re: Official Boston Red Sox 2005 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by camulos
Well I had a whole post typed up but they closed the offseason thread. Personally it doesn't make sense to have us sort through a 200 page thread to talk about the offseason, especially when its not cluttering up a major forum, but whatever.

I'll post my thoughts at some point today.
It also makes no sense to have 2 Red Sox team threads. It's still 2005. I don't see what the big deal is. Once next season starts, there will be new baseball team threads. Your thread wasn't deleted, so you can copy it and paste what you wrote over here if you want.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #1738
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
It also makes no sense to have 2 Red Sox team threads. It's still 2005. I don't see what the big deal is. Once next season starts, there will be new baseball team threads. Your thread wasn't deleted, so you can copy it and paste what you wrote over here if you want.
Nah I typed up a long post with my thoughts on the offseason but the thread got closed before I could post it. Whatever, It's not a big deal.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #1739
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Quote:
Nah I typed up a long post with my thoughts on the offseason but the thread got closed before I could post it. Whatever, It's not a big deal.
Sorry about that man, nothing personal. I locked the Yankees offseason thread too.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #1740
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Ok here are my offseason thoughts. This is a list of the positions they need filled and how I think they will/should fill them. Obviously a huge part of the offseason depends on what they decide to do with Damon and Manny.

CF - Damon. There isn't a leadoff man in baseball that can replace Damon. He is the spark that drives their offense and he was having an MVP type season until he got hurt. He also plays a very good CF, despite the weak throwing arm. Again, they simply cannot replace him.

3B - Mueller/Youk. I think they should resign Mueller to play 100-120 games with Youk playing the rest. His hitting has gone down but he is an excellent 3B and a good situational hitter. He also comes pretty cheap.

1B - Youk/Olerud/Petagine - Unless they can sign a Konerko in FA, a platoon is the best option. Youk is an upgrade over Millar while Olerud is a professional hitter and fielder. Petagine can step in if Olerud gets hurt.

2B - Graff/Cora/Pedroia - Cora is already signed, so I expect them to try to fill 2B with some combination of these three over the course of the year.

SP - AJ Burnett. They have Schilling, Wells, Clement, Wakefield and Arroyo returning but they need an ace. With the money saved elsewhere, they should be able to afford him. If everybody else is healthy, Arroyo would probably move to the pen.

Closer- Foulke/Papelbon. Unfortunately the job will be Foulke's unless he can't stay healthy. If he can't, I think Papelbon is the best choice because it would allow Timlin to stay in the setup role. Papelbon has the stuff and mental makeup to be a successful closer and with the staff they have now, I don't think he will make it into the rotation.

Bullpen - The pen could actually be a strong point for them next year if Foulke returns to form. Foulke, Timlin, Papelbon, Hansen, Myers and Bradford are a very good group. Even if Foulke doesn't come back I think the combination of Papelbon, Hansen and Timlin could easily replace him.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #1741
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

You also can't forget the #1 thing they have to do...

Re-sign Theo!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #1742
All Star

OVR: 25

I think they really want to get Papelbon into the rotation and they'll try their best. Which is why Wells retiring wouldn't be the worst thing. Graffanino is most likely done and the Pedroia/Cora platoon looks like the plan going into the spring. I would let Olerud go as well, as I'd expect a drop-off next season and he is injury prone. Youkilis as the potential everyday first baseman is intriguing and not something I considered. It would keep Mueller around another year which would make a lot of guys in the clubhouse pretty happy.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #1743
Stu
All Star

Stu's Arena

Dale Sveum, the Red Sox' third base coach for the last two seasons, was
today named third base coach for the Milwaukee Brewers.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #1744
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Dale Sveum, the Red Sox' third base coach for the last two seasons, was
today named third base coach for the Milwaukee Brewers.
How depressing
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »