Home

PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread

This is a discussion on PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
Has anyone tried taking screenshots to compare Faster vs Balanced on 1080p? I'm curious how much noticeable difference there really is.
I haven't taken any screenshots, but while playing the game with the exact same weather settings the only noticeable difference I can see are the batters shadows over home plate, if anything else is better I can't tell. I just played my last game on balanced and compared to faster I didn't notice hardly any difference in frame rate as far as choppiness goes during cut scenes. Still though, because it's in the back of my mind, I'm just gonna leave it on faster so I know that it's supposedly at 60fps.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Thanks for the explanation of Supersampling fellas. That makes sense. For now I'll roll with that on Balanced while keeping an eye on the framerate for any slow-downs (would be nice if there was an FPS display like on PC). I'll also keep tabs on my fan noise and see if it was just my wife's fault lol.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #11
Rookie

xNeurosiis's Arena

There most definitely is slowdown in some form on every option besides the 1080p option. It’s similar to how a gaming CPU has options to scale graphics. 1080, you’re gonna get 60fps. 1440, less than that, and 4K, less than that (probably closer to 30fps). To me, an owner with a 1080p display, there’s no reason not to roll with the 1080p option. The graphical improvements, while there, are mostly better ambient occlusion. The hit in a mostly rock solid 60fps isn’t worth it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #12
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNeurosiis
There most definitely is slowdown in some form on every option besides the 1080p option. It’s similar to how a gaming CPU has options to scale graphics. 1080, you’re gonna get 60fps. 1440, less than that, and 4K, less than that (probably closer to 30fps). To me, an owner with a 1080p display, there’s no reason not to roll with the 1080p option. The graphical improvements, while there, are mostly better ambient occlusion. The hit in a mostly rock solid 60fps isn’t worth it.
This is what I'm finding too. As a PC guy, it also feels weird to roll with a non-native resolution too since we've always been taught never to do that. so running at 1080p feels like home. In a perfect world, we'd have even more options, such as being able to run in 1080p, but still turn on some extra bells and whistles, rather than just have 3 presets. Baby steps though...slowly consoles are learning from the PC that more video settings are the way to go. We'll get there eventually.

Last edited by jeffy777; 03-23-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Running 1080p on my PS4 Pro again. I'll take smooth 60fps @ 1080 over anything less @ higher resolution.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #14
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

I was playing quite a bit yesterday and again noticed my fan was making a bit more noise than normal. Everything was running ok in-game though throughout the day until at one point last night I needed to pause and check something on another input on my TV. As soon as I switched to a different input, my PS4 immediately shut itself down. It also wouldn't start up right away but eventually did and said that a software error occurred. I just shut it back down and went to bed.

I'll test it more today, but hopefully my hardware isn't going out on me.

Last edited by jeffy777; 03-24-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #15
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

For those that are curious about what supersampling actually is, here is a youtube video explaining it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN4pFfrc7xg

Basically, when a frame is rendered at a native resolution, each pixel is assigned a colour. When a frame is rendered at a higher resolution, the colour average of the pixels being downscaled is used. This technique is what makes a supersampled image look sharper and cleaner, as you don't have those hard, jagged lines between your pixels. It's basically smoke and mirrors, but as far as the naked eye is concerned, the image appears to be of higher quality.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #16
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

OVR: 4

I don't if it's my older eyes but I put it on faster mode and it seems to me to be better visually, maybe its smoke and mirrors but just the same it's glorious to play and look at, I just admire the detail, it's fantastic.
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »