Home

fIeLdInG hAs BeEn ImPrOvEd

This is a discussion on fIeLdInG hAs BeEn ImPrOvEd within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: fIeLdInG hAs BeEn ImPrOvEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Ok...how often have you seen those?

I chalk both up to just a mental lapse, lost in the lights, skies, etc..

Things like this happen over the course of the season. We see it all the time. Nothing about either of those videos makes me think that fielding is not improved, broken, or whatever anyone wants to call it.
It is honestly insane to me how you can possibly defend this or "chalk it up" to something like a mental lapse when the reality is either the animation didn't initiate because the animation system itself simply has unfixed issues that have been apparent for years or the game's "boolean" code said TRUE and decided it was time to make an error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I was just going to keep my mouth shut like i usually have for the past 8 months or so on here, but from someone who has played thousands of games in the Show, using manual fielding - and am very good at manual fielding, approching fly balls, reading balls, etc, - i knew EXACTLY what the OP was referring to regarding outfielder blatantly missing balls or not going into catch animations. I didn't even have to see the videos to know what he was referring to.

Others have also tried to talk about this issue last year, and previous years. I have lost games over the past few years because of this issue. It is 100% a problem with outfielders in the game an has been exactly the same problem year in and year out.

I love this game and i think the Show is the best baseball game ever created. I cant even describe how much fun i had with 18. But if there was one problem i wanted fixed with 18 and 19 (and previous versions) it was this issue. It is honestly ridiculous that it hasn't been resolved.

Yes, it can be user error at times, if you don't approach the ball just right. But many many times it is an issue of the animation just not kicking in when standing in the perfect spot. And it most often it seems to happen on balls that are "fliners" (between a fly ball and a liner). I have also come to the conclusion it has nothing to do with fielding sliders or attributes.

Over the years I have chalked it up to user error, losing it in the sun, the lights, the "high sky", the clouds, white shirts in the crowd, landing lights on approaching flights, Hale-Bop comet, and much more. Its not realistic.

When i heard about improved fielding before release, the first thing i did was text a buddy of mine and we discussed whether or not it meant that this issue would be fixed, and we both held out hope. (We had the same text conversation before 18 came out)

So we can try to focus on whether the OP approached the subject with a right attitude, should or shouldn't have used a mix of uppercase and lowercase, or whether he should or shouldn't disprespect the devs all we want. Im staying out of the policing part of it. But the bottom line is, i promise, it is a legacy issue. And i for one wish the devs would either fix it for once, or just say "look, it would take a complete overhaul to fix this. We've tried." I would be happy with either response because i actually know they are aware of it.
Perfectly said. It's an issue. Let's not chalk it up to getting lost in the damn lights or a mental lapse or the fielder had a personal issue that day. Those are lame excuses. The fact is, the animation didn't kick in through NO FAULT of the user. The game's fielding mechanic simply didn't work properly and if it did work properly, it's just flat out terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyerb
To echo and hopefully illustrate what Nolan Ryan said, here is a common occurrence for me:

Smooth route to the spot where the ball is going to land, then once I'm in the invisible "catch animation" radius, the game takes over and adjusts my fielder just enough so the ball goes over his glove (look at the mowed lines on the field and how he slightly turns toward the end - that wasn't my input, it was the animation taking control).

77 fielding CF playing CF, 83 reaction, 85 speed. I have 6 outfielder errors in 18 games, and it's stuff like that. Been this way for multiple editions.
Same situation. Smooth route. Animation kicked in VERY late. Is this the user's fault?

What I will say is that these occurrences happen FAR less frequently than previous years, but the fact they still happen AT ALL is downright pathetic.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #50
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
It is honestly insane to me how you can possibly defend this or "chalk it up" to something like a mental lapse when the reality is either the animation didn't initiate because the animation system itself simply has unfixed issues that have been apparent for years or the game's "boolean" code said TRUE and decided it was time to make an error.
It's how I view it.

If its insane or a problem for you, then I guess you'll have to either deal with it or get over it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 04-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #51
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
It's how I view it.

If its insane or a problem for you, then I guess you'll have to either deal with it or get over it.
I can see his point, especially given the rating provided, and it's probably frustrating, but on the other hand, I'd say there must not be many here have ever seen Teoscar Hernandez try to field a fly ball...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #52
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
I can see his point, especially given the rating provided, and it's probably frustrating, but on the other hand, I'd say there must not be many here have ever seen Teoscar Hernandez try to field a fly ball...

If he or anyone views it as a broken system, that is their view on what is happening. I just stated that when that happens, I view/chalk it up to lost in lights or whatever. It happens in real life, so I translate that to the game. If it happened frequently then I might view it differently, but my experience is that its a rare occurrence so I chalk it up to the fielder lost sight/track of the ball.

Last edited by countryboy; 04-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #53
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

There we go... now it's starting to feel like Operation Sports again... smh.

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 04-17-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #54
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
If he or anyone views it as a broken system, that is their view on what is happening. I just stated that when that happens, I view/chalk it up to lost in lights or whatever. It happens in real life, so I translate that to the game. If it happened frequently then I might view it differently, but my experience is that its a rare occurrence so I chalk it up to the fielder lost sight/track of the ball.
For sure. The unfortunate part of trying to make a realistic game is that there really isn't a way to simulate things like that. If the fielding was flawless, we'd be back to the complaint that there aren't enough errors. There's no simple middle ground.

I play the same way as you though, if something stupid like this happens, it's part of the game, and to be fair, it usually happens to both teams on the field.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #55
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
For sure. The unfortunate part of trying to make a realistic game is that there really isn't a way to simulate things like that. If the fielding was flawless, we'd be back to the complaint that there aren't enough errors. There's no simple middle ground.
Actually the game does a great job of presenting realistic errors without missed animations. I have seen guys get bad jumps or take bad routes to the ball that simulates losing the ball. Its the missed animations etc that throw it over the top.

Quote:
I play the same way as you though, if something stupid like this happens, it's part of the game, and to be fair, it usually happens to both teams on the field.
Actually I have never seen the CPU miss animations like we are talking about. So no, it doesn't happen to both teams. Outfield errors for the CPU are as they should be.

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 04-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #56
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Actually the game does a great job of presenting realistic errors without missed animations. I have seen guys get bad jumps or take bad routes to the ball that simulates losing the ball. Its the missed animations etc that throw it over the top.

And i have never seen the CPU miss animations. So it doesn't happen to both teams. Outfield errors for the CPU are as they should be.
I've seen it happen to the CPU.

Ronald Acuna was tracking a ball in the gap and was on it, put his glove up and just flat out missed the ball (similar to video above), thus allowing both my runners on base to score and Patrick Wisdom to get a cheap triple.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »