Home

2010 Hot Stove Thread

This is a discussion on 2010 Hot Stove Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #49
All Star

rsox's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 2010 Hot Stove Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Apparently the Red Sox are looking into John Buck. This is kinda playing with fire IMO. Buck has never had a season like he did in '10 (neither has Bautista but there are other factors that make you think he might be worth the risk) and while his power numbers were up there he was just Rod Barajas with more power.

Another thing is, Buck may be well loved by pitchers but he's a poor defensive catcher who was frustrating to watch behind the plate at times as he wouldn't go down in the dirt or block the plate. I could see him still producing the long ball in Fenway though.

Just thought i'd pass this along.
Saw this as well. It appears Buck would be part of a platoon with Jarrod Saltalamacchia which probably means that the Sox are not going to offer any higher than the 2 year contract they offered Victor Martinez during the season and that the Jason Varitek era may be officially coming to an end.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #50
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox
Saw this as well. It appears Buck would be part of a platoon with Jarrod Saltalamacchia which probably means that the Sox are not going to offer any higher than the 2 year contract they offered Victor Martinez during the season and that the Jason Varitek era may be officially coming to an end.
So how's that going to work? Salty catches it and then Buck throws it back to the pitcher for him?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #51
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

The only concern I have with Buck is that he does not walk and strikes out a ton, ton, and ton.

That does not fit into any of the Sox philosophy for hitting. But we will see. Salty has promise of being really good, he just needs consistent playing time I think.

Not much out there right now for catchers though in the market. So you have to take what you can get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #52
All Star

rsox's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
So how's that going to work? Salty catches it and then Buck throws it back to the pitcher for him?
Maybe Buck can help Salty memorize the Victoria's Secret catalog?.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #53
MVP

Baseballking888's Arena

OVR: 6

The DBacks are nearing a deal with Geoff Blum on a possible two-year contract. The deal could possibly be announced today.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #54
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballking888
The DBacks are nearing a deal with Geoff Blum on a possible two-year contract. The deal could possibly be announced today.
If I signed a crappy 38-year-old utility guy with a .680 OPS to a multi-year contract, I don't think I'd want to announce it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #55
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Not surprised with that at all. Kevin Towers absolutely loved Blum when he acquired him a few years ago in San Diego.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #56
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Sox want Adrian Beltre, Victor Martinez; Youk to 3B an option

Quote:
BOSTON -- Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein reiterated on Friday the team's strong interest in re-signing third baseman Adrian Beltre and catcher Victor Martinez, while acknowledging that the club has had recent discussions with Kevin Youkilis about returning to third base if Beltre does not come back, and that both the player and team are comfortable with that move.

Contrary to some media reports he said have suggested otherwise, Epstein said the team continues to pursue Martinez. "We absolutely want this guy back," he said. "He knows that. He's known that for a while."

Both Beltre and Martinez, the top players at their respective positions available as free agents, are already drawing significant interest from other clubs. There is a good chance that both players may receive better offers than the Red Sox are willing to make.

"It always comes down," Epstein said, "to dollars and years." ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=5796794

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »