Home

Joe Flacco should be highest-paid NFL QB, agent says

This is a discussion on Joe Flacco should be highest-paid NFL QB, agent says within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #33
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Joe Flacco should be highest-paid NFL QB, agent says

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC

2nd Bolded: That's fine. All those guys are outstanding regular season quarterbacks (cept for maybe Rothslisberger, tho I'd have to go peek at the stats again). None of those dudes played as well as Joe Flacco in the playoffs. Joe Flacco is there, and a factor come playoff time and usually delivers (And this playoffs delivered an all-time great Playoff QB performance).
That's false. All those guys have played pretty darn well in the playoffs as well. Joe Flacco had a great run in this postseason. I wouldn't say come playoff time he usually delivers off 1 postseason. Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
It's close, but yes.

But if all that matters are wins and stats aren't important, then why is Tim Tebow sitting on the bench on a terrible team? That line of thinking is incredibly flawed.

Joe Flacco is a solid quarterback, no doubt. But he isn't in the same galaxy as the top four guys at his position: Brady, Brees, P. Manning and Rodgers. Hell, a healthy Roethlisberger is a better player, too.

This guy absolutely does not deserve 20 million dollars a year and I have yet to see a compelling argument that disputes that.

If I'm Baltimore, I low ball him on a deal (like 6/90) knowing he isn't going to accept it and then franchise tag him for 2013. Chances are, the Ravens won't win the Super Bowl again next year (let's face it, the odds are extremely against repeating in today's NFL) and Baltimore will have more leverage in locking him up long term next year. It might not be the "nicest" way to handle the situation, but this is a business at the end of the day and investing 20 million dollars a year in a quarterback that will never be one of the top five best in the league at any point in his career isn't good for business. Especially when you have an entire defense to rebuild!
Let's make the Tebow comparison (since you REALLY want to go there, lmao).

In 2011 Tebow completed 47% of his passes for 1729 yards and 12 TDs. His QBR was 29.9. His stats are insanely abysmal, and his team's record was 8-8. He was then traded and couldn't beat out Marc Sanchez in practice while putting up even worse stats when he did get in the game. In the post season his team is 1-1 and he completed 40% of his passes for an average of 226 yards/game... and a QBR again of 29.9.

I don't think listing 5 years of Flacco's stats is necessary to say this is a ridiculous comparison to say "if stats don't matter then why is Tebow not starting somewhere" even if you want to look at regular season wins and loses. This is the definition of a reach.

BTW, you may want to go take a look at Big Ben's first 5 years... hell you can look at his entire career. The Steelers have played a similar style as Baltimore and his stats reflect it.

While you're at it, go take a look at Brady's first 5 or 6 years before the NE defense began to fall off a bit and they had to lean more on his arm. Other than TDs, his numbers look pretty similar.

Is Flacco the next Tom Brady? Probably not, and he doesn't even deserve to have that question asked seriously at this point. But lets not act like teams aren't trying to win more than pile up stats, and that stats aren't effected by the team's style of play... or that there aren't QBs that YOU mentioned who played in similar systems who put up similar stats while winning games (which Flacco has done since day one), and Tebow is very, very, very far from deserving to be mentioned in a debate involving any of them.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
That's false. All those guys have played pretty darn well in the playoffs as well. Joe Flacco had a great run in this postseason. I wouldn't say come playoff time he usually delivers off 1 postseason. Just my opinion.
His point still stands. Those guys recently have not played well in the postseason minus Rodgers and Brees.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #36
Banned

DukeC's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Where in my post did I say they didn't play well in the playoffs?

All I said was that they didn't play as well as Flacco in the playoffs for the past two years. Which is true. I worded my post correctly, though nice try trying to catch me slipping good sir .
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #37
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

I interpreted it wrong then, when i saw "Regular season QB's" That's what I thought you meant.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
He's played extremely well in the last 3 playoffs and was asked to manage the game in the first two. He's thrown 18 tds vs 2 ints in the last 3 years (8 games). If you believe in QB rating his last 3 years it's been 90.0, 96.1 and 117.2. If you watched the games, you'd believe based on Flacco's input the Ravens would've appeared in back to back SBs (of course, winning at least one with him as the MVP).

And it wasn't just that he threw a TD at the end of that game against NE last year that was dropped. He threw for 306 yards and 2 TDs.

Just bc he's getting more national attention now doesn't mean he just started playing well 3 days ago.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
Banned

DukeC's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I interpreted it wrong then, when i saw "Regular season QB's" That's what I thought you meant.
It's all good, no hard feelings
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

HA!

If I were Ozzie Newsome i'd look at Flacco's agent in the eye and laugh so hard then tell him to get back to me when he's got a more reasonable request.

I'm not opposed to Flacco getting his money but he's not the #1 QB in the NFL and doesn't deserve to be the highest paid.

I'll admit the agent is doing his job because even if he's talked down Flacco will end up in the top 3-5 earners at the QB position.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »