Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

NHL 2K10 redefines the sports gaming experience with a new emphasis on social gaming. Whether you're a die-hard NHL fan or a casual player, NHL 2K10's pick-up-and-play controls, true-to-life authenticity and variety of on- and off-line multiplayer modes promise hours of entertainment for any gamer. Among the new features that will make this the must-have hockey game of the season include:

New Gameplay Mechanics - Completely rewritten AI, enhanced defensive controls and stick lifts, stumble shots, a new defensive skating model and new incidental contact and small animation systems

Enhanced Presentation - All-new rink intros for each arena, improved goal celebrations, enhanced visuals, and greatly improved, true-to-life character models, with San Jose Sharks commentators Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda returning with new broadcast commentary

Improved Franchise Mode - NHL 2K10 features a new contract/free agency system, improved roster management, an updated financial model, dynamic player progression, and fantasy drafts

New Franchise Co-op Play - Play a franchise season game with or against a friend on- or offline, or play a traditional game against the CPU

Franchise Blog / 2KSports.com Integration - Publish your franchise stats and standings, and upload game highlights and screenshots to your personal page at 2KSports.com

Enhanced Online Modes - New seamless online integration connects players in Team Up games, tracks your progress with My Player Card, and offers full league, leaderboard, tournament and 2K Share support

Create Team Mode - Create a persistent team with friends by designing your uniforms, developing a unique team identity, and then competing against other created teams online, offline and in Franchise mode

Wii SPECIFIC FEATURES:

New Control Scheme - Choose between fun, easy-to-use Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls and Sideways Wii Remote support, or plug in a Wii Classic Controller for three ways to play

Full Online Modes - For the first time, enjoy full online support for Wii, including multiplayer and multi-console match-ups, downloadable rosters, online leagues, tournaments, leaderboards and Team Up mode featuring persistant created teams and regular Pick-Up Games

WiiMotion Plus and WiiSpeak Support - Enjoy online voice chat capabilities via WiiSpeak and precise one-to-one control with WiiMotion Plus

NHL 2K10 launches on September 15th for Wii(TM) system, Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system.

For more details visit http://www.2ksports.com/games/nhl2k10.

NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 wurstman3000 @ 07/24/09 03:22 PM
Some other info bits:
Quote:
NHL 2K10 IS A BIG-TIME PARTY. AND EVERYONE’S INVITED.
2K Sports is unleashing the next generation of the NHL 2K franchise—and the only hockey game on Wii—NHL 2K10. True hockey fans will respect the attention to detail. And with pick-up-and-shoot controls anyone can play. Which is why NHL 2K10 IS PARTY NOW!
Wii:
Quote:
Face-Off Online - Create online teams, play in leagues, tournaments and run your mouth over Wii Speak. Multi-console action supports up to 5 players per team.
Better Graphics - More accurate player looks and styles, brighter arenas and realistic pre-game introductions.

Control The Puck - More realistic and responsive game controls. Wii Motion Plus means one-to-one control over puck handling, shooting and defensive play. New features include stumble shots and stick lifts.
360/PS3:
Quote:
Face-Off Online - Create online teams, play in leagues, join tournaments and test yourself against the best NHL 2K10 players in the world.

Control The Puck - Improved controls deliver better puck handling, new defensive moves like stick lifts, plus stumble shots so you can always get the puck on net.

Better Graphics - More accurate player looks and styles, brighter arenas and realistic pre-game introductions.

Smarter Hockey - Improved A.I. makes gameplay more authentic in the offensive and defensive zones. More accurate positioning. Better breakouts. NHL-caliber playmaking. Brings out the best in multi-player play.
PS2:
Quote:
Aerial Camera - Take in all the action from a new perspective. Use it to evaluate your positioning and playmaking.

Legit Player Behavio
r - New player attribute system means players and teams perform the way you expect them to perform on the ice.

Smarter Hockey - Improved A.I. makes gameplay more authentic in the offensive and defensive zones. More accurate positioning. Better breakouts. NHL-caliber playmaking.

Face-Off Online - Create online teams, play in leagues and dominate tournaments.
http://2ksports.com/games/nhl2K10

# 2 sharks @ 07/24/09 03:34 PM
What about flip dumps, protect the puck, better pokechecking, pushing the puck forward on a breakaway, better boards play, and one-handed dekes?

# 3 Flyermania @ 07/24/09 04:03 PM
PS2 features sound the best of them all!

# 4 Money99 @ 07/24/09 04:09 PM
Franchise Blog sounds cool. It's just a little thing but still appreciated.

# 5 CarryTheWeight @ 07/24/09 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurstman3000
Enhanced Presentation - All-new rink intros for each arena, improved goal celebrations, enhanced visuals, and greatly improved, true-to-life character models, with San Jose Sharks commentators Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda returning with new broadcast commentary
RealmK, by the looks of things it seems like they listened to you and everything you had to say about recycled lines...now will they listen to your comments about AI and Franchise Bugs?

# 6 savoie2006 @ 07/24/09 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks
What about flip dumps, protect the puck, better pokechecking, pushing the puck forward on a breakaway, better boards play, and one-handed dekes?
Dude, don't get your undies in a ruffle just because it's not mentioned specifically. That doesn't mean it's not in the game. Puck protect, we've already determined is. It says the AI has been completely rewritten. Give them time to release some video and to play the demo, before getting so worked up about what you don't see.

# 7 JAYMO76 @ 07/24/09 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Well it ain't be a gm mode thats for sure. Otherwise though sounding good. Bring on some gameplay video of the improved AI in action 2k.
Until I see a video of the "new" franchise mode I fear that 2k will NOT be getting my hard earned money this year. EA's GM MODE looks really good (dare I buy a game from a company I dislike???).

# 8 savoie2006 @ 07/24/09 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
Until I see a video of the "new" franchise mode I fear that 2k will NOT be getting my hard earned money this year. EA's GM MODE looks really good (dare I buy a game from a company I dislike???).
Dude, it's the game that matters, I don't care who makes it. If it's a quality game or just a hockey game in general, I will most likely buy it. I love the sport!

# 9 onlybygrace @ 07/24/09 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Dude, it's the game that matters, I don't care who makes it. If it's a quality game or just a hockey game in general, I will most likely buy it. I love the sport!
Mmmm...I love the sound of the truth.

# 10 LuGer33 @ 07/24/09 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
From the sound of things, neither does he. All he said was EA's BAGM looks good, and he isn't sure if 2K's franchise will be good enough to earn his money this year.

He's comparing features, not publishers.

# 11 Eddie1967 @ 07/24/09 08:56 PM
Outstanding, sounds like big improvements all around for 2k10. Seems like my faith in VC will be rewarded.

# 12 Eddie1967 @ 07/24/09 08:58 PM
Completely rewritten AI? WOW! I can't wait for this game.
Maybe every video sports game should be a 2 year project. Long live VC.

# 13 savoie2006 @ 07/24/09 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
From the sound of things, neither does he. All he said was EA's BAGM looks good, and he isn't sure if 2K's franchise will be good enough to earn his money this year.

He's comparing features, not publishers.
Really?

Quote:
EA's GM MODE looks really good (dare I buy a game from a company I dislike???).
Maybe I misread it

# 14 Eddie1967 @ 07/24/09 11:35 PM
Quote:
Not to dash your hopes but they've said this before. I'm going to take a wait and see approach before getting all excited about it, but it is my #1 issue that totally needed addressing with this series. And it wasn't a 2 year project, 2k9 was just a bit rushed due to the developer change and Kush's closure.
No offense, but you could never dash my hopes. You can wait and see, but I'm over joyed at the feature list and I have no reason to doubt what they are saying about improvements. After seeing how the NBA series has improved year after year and the one year of 2k baseball, I have all the faith in the world that what we are reading is what we will get. I'm ecstatic to say the least. And it was a 2 year project, as I have read this several times. I'll have to take the word of the DEVELOPER on that one. I'm just saying. VC knows what they are doing when it comes to sports games.

From IGN:
"It's far too early to tell at this point, but that's exactly what 2K is going for with NHL 2K10. Don't worry, the game still looks the same (better, in fact) as far as style and realism, you've got every mode and option you expect from last year, but 2K as also mentioned that the company is essentially giving the true two year project it intended on back in 2007. Last year's game was fun and had a lot of options, but this is really a continuation off of that. If 2K9 was fun, but not quite there, it's because it was only half of the dev cycle in 2K's mind. As such, 2K10 is meant to be the fruits of two years of labor; not just a one-year quick fix update".

# 15 bcgudely @ 07/24/09 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYMO76
I know this doesn't have anything to do with NHL2K, but I just have to say this. Now, keep in mind, I buy games from both companies, and for years I would exclusively play 2K sports games.

But... If you dislike EA that's fine, I guess. I used to despise them a few years ago. However, they're not the same company they were, and they've taken great strides to put out quality products, support small developers, create new IP's, and improve customer relations... instead of what they were doing which was milking the same IP's over and over and over again. I have a great amount of respect for EA because they're a big company, but they're doing what's best for the consumer, and what's best for the industry now.. and I respect it.

Anyhow, back on topic... I really hope 2K swings for the fences with this game. NHL 10 has me hyped, and I'm 100% buying that game. However, if 2K really steps it up and puts out a quality product like they have pre-2K9, I may have to buy that one too.

The features, I can't say I'm too excited about. The franchise blog seems pretty neat, but I hope the core gameplay got a lot of attention. And, obviously, anyone who's even seen 2K9 can tell that the graphics have indeed been upgraded.

# 16 eagles7251 @ 07/25/09 12:46 AM
Question about online..so could 4 people on one xbox go online and play against 4 other human opponents?

# 17 Eddie1967 @ 07/25/09 08:35 AM
Quote:
Brinkman had initially said that about the MLB series when he took over with 2k6 that it was a 3 year plan and look what happened there? Its one of those situations that I generally take with a grain of salt due to just how often personel shuffles and dev teams get changed on a regular basis in the industry.

I'm not sure how long you've been playing the 2k hockey series, I could certainly understand your enthusiasm if it was only a couple years or since this gen of consoles or what not. Keep in mind that there are those of us who have bought or at least played just about every version since either 2k3 or the dreamcast days, (been since 2k3 myself) and have heard the "We improved the AI substantially this year" remark more than once over that span only to have it remain pretty much the same as it for the most part has been since 2k5 or so. So please excuse those who don't have that same enthusiasm or optimism. Not to mention the franchise freezes that have plagued the game about as long.

I also question if VC has the personel for the entire sports line to get the attention each title deserves now that Kush is not around having to take on both MLB and NHL on what seemed to be pretty short notice.

Thats not to say they can't get it done and I really hope they have finally. Models look pretty good this year aside from EA's just being a tad more detailed imo. Though 2k goalies to me still aren't all that impressive model wise, something just seems off but thats moot.

I hope things pan out and am anxiously awaiting 2k10 via gamefly but at the same point I'm a tad pessimistic having been burned enough years already.

I demand to know where the real Realm is. You sir are an impostor. This is not the same person that I have argued with for the last couple of years, lol.

Seriously, I understand about the baseball series plan breakdown, but it took a major leap last year with VC taking over. Still flawed but definitely more dynamic atmosphere and game play wise. Not a finished product by any means but I feel it's finally headed in the right direction. I guess my confidence in VC comes from the NBA series. You know what's funny, I didn't like the NHL series from 2k3 to 2k5. I know they were good to a lot of people, but I remember it being so quite you could hear the players skating up and down the ice, like a sh sh sound. It had absolutely no presentation or personality IMO at all back then. I guess that's what pulls me in, the atmosphere. I can't play games that don't have that right. It's one of the main reasons I enjoyed NHL 2K9 so much, not to mention the superb animations and player collision detection. I never had the franchise freeze but my main concern is the dynasty mode trade logic and free agent signings. If those things are fixed I will be in hockey heaven.

I agree the goalies are not as detailed as they could be but I think their animations are better than EA. Back you were liking 2k3 I was into EA hockey. Now we are both hoping to like the other game again. I wouldn't mind spending 120 on 2 good games and EA does look really good so far. I plan on giving the skill stick a longer try this year by the way.

# 18 Eddie1967 @ 07/25/09 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I think they said something similar about MLB 2K9 (or re-writing something or other), and that game has horrific AI behavior and logic. At this point, all I'm convinced of is that 2K is pleading to consumers and saying, "We've changed, honest; please come back!" After four years of sub-par, broken games, I'll only believe their PR stuff when I see it for myself.
That's understandable. I didn't think 2k9's AI was "horrific" but it could definitely stand some improvement.

# 19 Eddie1967 @ 07/25/09 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
You didn't watch the many MLB 2K9 glitch vids on Youtube I guess.

To be honest, I stay away from things like that. I don't want to ruin my experience by knowing about every glitch. Major bugs? yes, but there are always glitches and knowing everyone might dull my enjoyment of the game.

# 20 Eddie1967 @ 07/25/09 01:57 PM
[quote=RealmK;2039899988] Or send a player down thats under performing only to have them look completely different when you bring them back up (usually bald)

LOL, Now that's funny. I didn't get to experience that one but it would have cracked me up for sure. It wasn't perfect but definitely better than the past few versions. I willing to give VC time to get it fixed since it was their first year with MLB. Anyone who can make a basketball game as realistic as NBA 2k and improve year after year gets all the patience in the world from me. They have a proven track record.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.