Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Looks like no demo for NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The team has been hard at work rebuilding the NHL 2K franchise from the ground up. Because we’ve poured every resource we have into this game, we made a strategic decision not to release a demo."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Money99 @ 09/02/09 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
1) Come to our office in Novato, CA (just north of San Francisco) We are so ecstatic about this game that we will accept a visit any day of the week.
2) Check out the game at The Best Buy in New York City on 622 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
3) Check the game out at the NHL Store in New York City on 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. You will get a special opportunity

This is real close to me. I might do this. Oh yeah I will do this.
Why wouldn't you Scott? It sounds like anyone can drop in and play.
Stop wasting time here and get on that horse!

# 2 slickdtc @ 09/02/09 03:23 PM
Not really disappointed. I've had the mindset all along that they wouldn't be releasing a demo. This may be good for our forums, actually; stops all the demo speculation.

It's nice having a demo, but I really haven't been able to form solid opinions on games through them. They're a nice teaser, but it's hard to get a feel for a game when the demos are typically pretty bare (as they should be... they are demos after all) with no sliders, a lot of game options not available, and things along those lines.

Like Scott said, the game is out in 2 weeks. I can wait.

# 3 Money99 @ 09/02/09 03:27 PM
Quote:
It sounds like you have to set up a day with them. Or ronnie. Maybe I missed something. If someone wants to get me in contact with them I would go for for you guys. I would even take off a day.
Tweet him.
Or send him a PM on the 2ksports.com/forums.

I guarantee he'll respond.

# 4 slickdtc @ 09/02/09 03:32 PM
Oh yeah, now we can officially say this guy was BS'ing about the demo.

# 5 Ridgeberg @ 09/02/09 03:34 PM
That's too bad, I was looking forward to trying this out. I was actually starting to waffle on which game to pick up on the 15th, which is why I was anticipating the demo.

My personal approach for 2K10 is now going to be wait, read and see. I was burned on MLB2K8 in regards to buying a 2K game on release day. I'll wait to read feedback on the message boards and if it is positive probably rent 2K10.

I will say that this "no demo" idea is a bad one and leads me to believe the company is hiding something.

# 6 phillyfan23 @ 09/02/09 03:36 PM
I am really looking forward to the game, but what the hell is "strategic" about not releasing a demo ?

Is the build so far behind that it would turn off gamers or

is their final product below par and they have no confidence showing it off?

hope is the former, but who knows . This marketing team really needs to get it together. 2 weeks before release and STILL no real in depth gameplay videos against the cpu.

Pathetic really.

# 7 Flyermania @ 09/02/09 03:40 PM
2k's inept marketing never ceases to amaze me.

How do they think they can attract a casual fan to the series without a playable demo? Many cities in non-hockey markets don't even have hockey games to rent...or if they do it will more than likely be EA's game due to brand recognition.

They shoot themselves in the foot year after year with this type of stuff...if sales are low again this year and the series is in jeopardy, they have no one to blame but themselves.

# 8 CarryTheWeight @ 09/02/09 03:44 PM
Here comes a huge drop in sales. I can hear it as I type. It stings like nails on chalkboard but it's getting louder by the second.

Yes, it's true that 2K10 will sell boatloads with hardcore 2K series gamers only. But buys have turned into rents almost instantly for those who are skeptical (hint: everyone on these forums except for the few EA fanboys that detest it and the few 2K fanboys that love it no matter what).

Is 2K trying for a word-of-mouth following with this game? If the game turns out to be the most surprising sports title of the year, then fine. But if the game is 2K9 with a few extra bells and whistles or (God forbid) a MLB 2K8 worthy step back for the series...they have a lot of 'splainin' to do...

This is more fodder for EA fanboys. And guess what? It's well warranted. Unless this game turns out to be the surprise of the year, I'm convinced that this is one of the worst things that can happen to this series.

# 9 Money99 @ 09/02/09 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
2k's inept marketing never ceases to amaze me.

How do they think they can attract a casual fan to the series without a playable demo? Many cities in non-hockey markets don't even have hockey games to rent...or if they do it will more than likely be EA's game due to brand recognition.

They shoot themselves in the foot year after year with this type of stuff...if sales are low again this year and the series is in jeopardy, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Hard to argue anything you said.
I actually feel worse for the developers and programmers. They put in all this work and aren't given the resources to show it to the masses.

I'm more convinced than ever that 2K10 will be awesome, but because of poor marketing the series will suffer in sales and will be shutdown after this year.

# 10 onlybygrace @ 09/02/09 03:49 PM
I'm pretty pissed...

not so much about the demo, but about what 2k has become.

# 11 Flyermania @ 09/02/09 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I'm more convinced than ever that 2K10 will be awesome, but because of poor marketing the series will suffer in sales and will be shutdown after this year.
I agree Money99...I think the game will be a great improvement, but if it continues to have low sales totals this series may be on its last legs.

# 12 sharks @ 09/02/09 04:03 PM
Just so you guys know I relayed the news that Ronnie gave me. I had no idea about any of this. Ronnie was either misinformed or he lied to me. Great community interaction Ron.

# 13 sharks @ 09/02/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
1) Come to our office in Novato, CA (just north of San Francisco) We are so ecstatic about this game that we will accept a visit any day of the week.
2) Check out the game at The Best Buy in New York City on 622 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
3) Check the game out at the NHL Store in New York City on 1185 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036. You will get a special opportunity

This is real close to me. I might do this. Oh yeah I will do this. It sounds like a lot of work to make this happen. I don't know if I am going to go through all that. But I am sure we will get some good feedback.
If you go, don't forget the tomatoes!

# 14 Money99 @ 09/02/09 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
i'd blame the developers more than i'd blame the marketers whether or not the developers had a fair shot with a lack of resources.

makes more marketing sense to pick up some uniformed sales rather than release a demo and have every person who's played both demos choose the other game.
I don't know tgalv. I've read before that creating demo's takes a lot of time and effort away from the main project. But it can be done if there's enough man power or resources to get it to happen.

I'm more concerned with what this could do to 2K down the road. I can't help but wonder if this is the real reason they knocked the price down. They knew a demo wouldn't be released so they figured this was the best way to get people to buy it.

I'm really going to be ticked if 2K10 ends up being a tremendous hockey game only to go the way of the do-do bird.

# 15 pf8363 @ 09/02/09 04:06 PM
well i was gonna buy 2k10 this year, but only after a demo was available. after 2k9 im not just gonna go and throw $50 dollars away on a game that is EXPECTED to be good when i already know that nhl 10 will be a solid game (demo). 2k, you have terrible marketing, just terrible

# 16 ocho cuatro @ 09/02/09 04:09 PM
As a marketing professional who works in the gaming industry, I'm 99% sure that this wasn't a marketing decision - unless the demo was an absolute joke and would have damaged their brand and deterred potential buyers.

Most game publishers view demos as a great way to get free, though low impact, exposure on the large gaming sites. However, demos are almost always an afterthought for the developers, and often get pushed back/cancelled b/c the real game development took too long.

# 17 sharks @ 09/02/09 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Or you lied to us which is more likely.
Ask Ron. Let me know if you need a link.

# 18 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks
Just so you guys know I relayed the news that Ronnie gave me. I had no idea about any of this. Ronnie was either misinformed or he lied to me. Great community interaction Ron.
Don't try dragging someone else's name through the mud because you were making stuff up, just walk away.

ANYWAYS, I'm really confused by this move. I can't speak for anyone else but personally? I'm not buying this any time soon. I had/have high hopes for the series making a comeback this year but the combination of not seeing any gameplay and now not getting to sample anything is a bit much, especially after the last few years.

Maybe the price drop was because the group of us that will now rent the game first - if I end up buying after a rental it will be the equivalent to buying it for a standard price.

# 19 FlyingFinn @ 09/02/09 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Don't try dragging someone else's name through the mud because you were making stuff up, just walk away.

ANYWAYS, I'm really confused by this move. I can't speak for anyone else but personally? I'm not buying this any time soon. I had/have high hopes for the series making a comeback this year but the combination of not seeing any gameplay and now not getting to sample anything is a bit much, especially after the last few years.

Maybe the price drop was because the group of us that will now rent the game first - if I end up buying after a rental it will be the equivalent to buying it for a standard price.
I can't remember a sports game in recent years that is less then 2 weeks from being on the store shelves that no one has seen yet...

# 20 Money99 @ 09/02/09 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I can't remember a sports game in recent years that is less then 2 weeks from being on the store shelves that no one has seen yet...
That is very disheartening. At this point you would think we'd see a lot more gameplay videos.
Hopefully those are coming soon. By weeks end at the latest.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.