Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Multiple outlets are spilling the beans about NBA 2K12's newest mode: NBA's Greatest. The mode seems to be an extension of The Jordan Challenge mode that was available in NBA 2K11.

This time around Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and 10 other unannounced all-time greats will be featured in this new mode.

At this time, the unannounced players are not the only thing shrouded in mystery here. It's unclear how many different scenarios or teams will even be included in this mode. This is being intentionally done so fans debate who they think should be included, according to 2K Sports.

The folks at 2K Sports want to go even further when it comes to re-creating moments in the NBA's Greatest mode by mimicking broadcasts from the '80s and even '60s. This means different camera angles, replay styles or even black and white video in order to bring people into the historical aspects of these games.

The NBA's Greatest mode seems like a really smart one when considering the ongoing NBA lockout, as well as the success of The Jordan Challenge mode last year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 03:23 PM
This is awesome. However, I wish not to wait to discover what the other 10 are. I am curious if the only (I use the term "only" loosely) classic team additions will be the ones directly associated with the "15 Greatest" Challenge. As in, are the '02 Kings and '91 Warriors going to be included because they relate to a "15" challenge or just because they're awesome?

In truth, I think I'm cool with it all either way. If there's 15 "Greatest" challenges, I'm betting a lot of them will tie in to one another (Larry vs. Magic). But hopefully some of those challenges involve playing other cool classic teams (Shaq/Kobe vs. CWebb).

# 22 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 03:24 PM
all we need now is calfsleeve with socks and calf sleeve with knee pads

...jk

# 23 ifriedrice @ 08/03/11 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Now...time to start figuring out who the other 10 players are...

I think that Drexler's Blazers will be there, since they're already in 2K11. What about Hakeem's Rockets?
This needs its own thread.

# 24 Austin_Ben @ 08/03/11 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandinDistress

Those AJ1's look so much better than 2k11's

# 25 Kashanova @ 08/03/11 03:27 PM
Quote:
Argent was similarly coy last year when asked about DLC for NBA 2K11, and nothing ever came of it. This year, however, NBA 2K12 is offering pre-order bonus teams, so there are at least two extra squads floating out there who are not on the disc at launch.
interesting

# 26 VDusen04 @ 08/03/11 03:28 PM
Quote:
From Kotaku.com

"Just like all of the fun stuff people reacted to last year, we'll have the short shorts and the 'fros," Argent said, "and each one will be broadcast as it appeared in that era, whether that's a technicolor look in the 1980s or black-and-white in the 1960s." Additional touches, such as wipes, graphics and replays, will feel authentic to the times."
Here's the link for that story: http://kotaku.com/5827334/dr-j-joins...enge/gallery/1

# 27 Boge @ 08/03/11 03:29 PM
2K is doing it wrong in my opinion. They're spending too much on the past NBA greats where that development could be on making the gameplay better. Every year the new b-ball game comes out and it's good, but not great. There are flaws, obvious flaws that everyone sees, but some of us prefer to point them out while others decide to pretend they aren't there. 2K needs to quit this old school trend and get back in the now. Create a good game of basketball for us to play, not for us to watch.

# 28 youvalss @ 08/03/11 03:29 PM
Is that a generic dude behind Dr. J (wearing Sixers uni's)?

# 29 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 03:29 PM
I wonder if we will still get 3 different Jordans?

# 30 laroche360 @ 08/03/11 03:31 PM
these are the teams i d like to have :
- suns 1993
-rockets 1995
-magic 1995
-pacers 1998
-knicks 1992
- celtics 86
-lakers 88
- pistons 2004
- kings 2002
-lakers 2000

# 31 23 @ 08/03/11 03:32 PM
Quote:

THANK YOU GUYS!... Thats what Im talking about.. see how MJ holds his arm and hand out forward.... thats how he dunks!!! YES SIR

# 32 illwill10 @ 08/03/11 03:32 PM
Quote:
Is that a generic dude behind Dr. J (wearing Sixers uni's)?
I think so.
I am hoping that generics look more better.It seems like all generated players could be related

# 33 youvalss @ 08/03/11 03:33 PM
The questions is, if past teams mean teams that won something, or just classic teams that people like to watch.

# 34 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
2K is doing it wrong in my opinion. They're spending too much on the past NBA greats where that development could be on making the gameplay better. Every year the new b-ball game comes out and it's good, but not great. There are flaws, obvious flaws that everyone sees, but some of us prefer to point them out while others decide to pretend they aren't there. 2K needs to quit this old school trend and get back in the now. Create a good game of basketball for us to play, not for us to watch.
Thanks for messing up our party

# 35 laroche360 @ 08/03/11 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
dude, if uīre a true BBALL fan, then u have to be aware of the nba story and what it did to the globalisation of its sports worldwide..look at the sales from last year, they never sold that much in their history, that would be dumb from them to go another direction, even though they put a lot of attention on those legend players, 2k still look to improve the game in all other areas..so if u want to play with lebron or dirk, be my guest,they īre still there...relax and have fun my friend, those teams are the greatest ever...iīm more than thankful,maybe uīre a young gamer thatīs why it might be hard for u to understand

# 36 youvalss @ 08/03/11 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Thanks for messing up our party
I actually agree with him to some extent. I love old-time NBA and to play with those classic teams, but I'd prefer 2K to really boost the graphics and add some ground breaking gameplay features. But doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.......so...I'll take the classic teams for now.

# 37 jeebs9 @ 08/03/11 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laroche360
these are the teams i d like to have :
- suns 1993
-rockets 1995
-magic 1995
-pacers 1998
-knicks 1992
- celtics 86
-lakers 88
- pistons 2004
- kings 2002
-lakers 2000
Nice list

We can confirm

MJ
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Dr. J

Run TMC
Mullin
Hardway
Richmond

2002 Kings
Webber
and Others

Who else am I missing that is confirmed

Quote:
I actually agree with him to some extent. I love old-time NBA and to play with those classic teams, but I'd prefer 2K to really boost the graphics and add some ground breaking gameplay features. But doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.......so...I'll take the classic teams for now.
I rather have him start a new thread or something. Damn the news was just released and his first reponse is a negative one.... Come on...

# 38 neptuneniq @ 08/03/11 03:41 PM
TMAC and Yao

challenge: 13 points in 30 seconds

# 39 youvalss @ 08/03/11 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptuneniq
TMAC and Yao

challenge: 13 points in 30 seconds
What would be Yao's challenge there? To stay healthy? (Wait, that's T-Mac's challenge already).

# 40 23 @ 08/03/11 03:44 PM
Im going to stop this early

This thread is about the new news.... not about some gameplay gripes

Keep it out of this thread and Im saying keep it all out

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.