Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports has revealed a new blocking system in NBA 2K14, which will also include the ability to block dunks.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Da_Czar @ 08/06/13 07:06 PM
What you guys are missing is what 2k does a terrible job at that EA does too good of a job with. This is basically BlockTech. LOL You see what I am saying. This was not just click and button and now you can block dunks.

A new block system was put in. This is new "engine" stuff you guys been crying for. They just suck at the cool names. This is bigger than just dunks it's the whole shot block "system" or "engine".

I mean you could block dunks prior to 2k13. 2k13 for whatever reason had that missing so since every thread for the last few months has been we better be able to block dunks they announced... wait for it... you can block dunks. ROTFLOL.

DISCLAIMER. This is no way means there will never be a time when something other than the hand blocks the shot dunk layup etc. The build I played can and possibly has changed a great amount since my experience. I can not guarantee that your definition of engine and mine are the same same. It was me and not 2k sports that made the comparison of system and engine. blah blah blah. LOL

# 82 Eman5805 @ 08/06/13 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectro
i got a feeling wingspan is in the game
I'm 99% sure it's in the next gen version. But we've already seen current gen 2K14 Anthony Davis. And the baby arms was out in force.

# 83 Goffs @ 08/06/13 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdownD
Yeah, it would be nice if they added back the controls for dunking like they used to have in 2k11 were you could choose what kind of dunk you wanted to perform based on the direction of the right stick. In 2k13 it looks like the only one you can manually control yourself is the reverse dunk (down on RS).
If I recall...

up = flashy
back = reverse
forward = straight dunk (regular)
down = power
spinning the stick will yield a 360 dunk

Am I right on this? To this day I still press it accordingly and I don't know why because the dunks are pretty much context now.

With the new block dunk system in place that useless from dunk to layup move will finally be useful.

# 84 Sundown @ 08/06/13 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
What you guys are missing is what 2k does a terrible job at that EA does too good of a job with. This is basically BlockTech. LOL You see what I am saying. This was not just click and button and now you can block dunks.

A new block system was put in. This is new "engine" stuff you guys been crying for. They just suck at the cool names. This is bigger than just dunks it's the whole shot block "system" or "engine".

I mean you could block dunks prior to 2k13. 2k13 for whatever reason had that missing so since every thread for the last few months has been we better be able to block dunks they announced... wait for it... you can block dunks. ROTFLOL.

DISCLAIMER. This is no way means there will never be a time when something other than the hand blocks the shot dunk layup etc. The build I played can and possibly has changed a great amount since my experience. I can not guarantee that your definition of engine and mine are the same same. It was me and not 2k sports that made the comparison of system and engine. blah blah blah. LOL
I do hope the new block engine is comprehensive-- not just actual blocks and blocked dunks, but better hand tracking actually leading to changed shots and adjustments by the shooter. This is where a shot blocker matters most of the time, just changing the shot.

# 85 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/06/13 07:48 PM
Oh, please. We're about to enter the eighth generation of video game consoles. We've got MF-in games that you can play using your body as the controller, 3D televisions and 4K ultra high-definition resolution (both of which are supported on the PS4/Xbox One), and 2K's like "WE ADDED AN UNJUSTLY REMOVED FEATURE GIVE US MONEYS"

# 86 stillfeelme @ 08/06/13 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar

Czar I don't want to put words in your mouth but it is sounding like blocks are less canned? As long as they have it balanced where I can initiate contact and block realistically it will be much improved. What it sounds like you have to know your player ratings/ situation/skills and then time things right and hope to get the block. If it has that and the chance for fouls, charges etc. I am good. People will only jump with their shot blockers now instead of just jumping for joy. I have a feeling this can be nice. 2K13 early on had a more perimeter blocks that were canned until they switched things I guess tuned it up a bit.

KYP= Know your Personnel
  • Attempt blocks around the rim with shot blocker/ still might get on a poster but oh well
  • Attempt a steal with non shot blocker
  • Attempt a charge
  • Get out the way or you will be in a poster

# 87 TheTrueHooperAIO @ 08/06/13 07:56 PM
Not much of a big deal, but did anyone else see the new Champs endorsement in the back?

# 88 8and9 @ 08/06/13 08:03 PM
Hope they tone down Dunks in Traffic as a whole, but great news overall.

# 89 vannwolfhawk @ 08/06/13 08:07 PM
This could be a completely stupid idea,but what about using LT modifier with Y (jump) to square up to the offensive player and create some contact? This would obviously be a more aggressive block, hard foul as you would be creating contact, and there would be a higher chance of a foul being called so you would have to use it at your own risk as opposed to just hitting Y with limited if any contact and lesser fouls being called. This way you would get those animations around the hoop and change dunks into lay ups if you wanted to and at your own risk...

It would be a legit strategy. Like the Detroit bad boys of late 80's or the 76ers with Barkley and mahorn, or just be a manute Bol and try and swat everything with no contact. Lol

Idk like I said maybe its a dumb idea?! Lol just thinking outside the box:-)

# 90 stillfeelme @ 08/06/13 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
This could be a completely stupid idea,but what about using LT modifier with Y (jump) to square up to the offensive player and create some contact? This would obviously be a more aggressive block, hard foul as you would be creating contact, and there would be a higher chance of a foul being called so you would have to use it at your own risk as opposed to just hitting Y with limited if any contact and lesser fouls being called. This way you would get those animations around the hoop and change dunks into lay ups if you wanted to and at your own risk...

It would be a legit strategy. Like the Detroit bad boys of late 80's or the 76ers with Barkley and mahorn, or just be a manute Bol and try and swat everything with no contact. Lol

Idk like I said maybe its a dumb idea?! Lol just thinking outside the box:-)
I actually said this in the 2K teamup thread, not with a special button but the same idea. You should have the ability to hard foul while attempting to block. It should be an option that if it looks bad you could get a flagrant 1 or 2.

• In real life you either go for the foul
  • Go for the block miss get dunked on or get it.
  • Get out of the way
  • Take the Charge
  • Go for the strip before they take off

# 91 chris11sg @ 08/06/13 08:18 PM
Thinking outside of dunks, but this sounds like it might stop the up and under cheese.

# 92 kiev123 @ 08/06/13 08:26 PM
Hopefully this means wingspans are editable.

# 93 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/06/13 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
It should be an option that if it looks bad you could get a flagrant 1 or 2.
David Stern:

# 94 Vni @ 08/06/13 08:58 PM
Can't be too mad though. Last year we had Jay Z as the biggest announcement in history of Nba 2K after Jordan. This year we have Euroligue teams and a new blocking system. It's basketball related... It's legit.

# 95 stillfeelme @ 08/06/13 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
David Stern:
They had techs in the game but only for Kinect users I expect that plus a flagrant foul every now and then. It could be by accident not an actual flagrant foul button

# 96 Po0hd1n1 @ 08/06/13 09:15 PM
lol @ the fact this is a feature they have to bring up

# 97 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/06/13 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
They had techs in the game but only for Kinect users
I honestly had no clue. WTF is the reasoning behind that?

# 98 paul143 @ 08/06/13 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
This was asked by one of the community members - can you recreate this block... The answer was yes.

I should also note this is a brand new system implemented this year. Not just more blocking - but a brand new system in which you can block different shots at different points of the offensive players' dunks/shots. It's beautiful, and I can't wait to block more of iPodKingCarter (though he equally facialized me with LeBron - this I cannot lie).
so i can't wait to re-create kobe blocking lebron twice in all star game

# 99 Conda @ 08/06/13 09:33 PM
Thanks, 2K Sports. I can't wait to hear more gameplay improvements. That is all.

# 100 Conda @ 08/06/13 09:41 PM
"No, no, no... Not today." *Mutombo voice*

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.