Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Hey everyone, I’m Kirby St. John, a designer with the MLB The Show development team. My main focus year-to-year is improving and evolving one of our most popular modes, Road to The Show. The mode made some big strides last year, especially in terms of gameplay and presentation, but for MLB 14, we really wanted to focus on the logic and systems that govern the mode in an effort to allow for more variety and less restrictions. We also wanted to provide some new experiences never seen before in RTTS. The video touched on a lot of topics, but in this blog I will expand on what was introduced there and discuss some of the exciting things that were only briefly mentioned.

Read More - Dev Blog: RTTS The Evolution Continues in MLB 14 The Show

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 181 Brandwin @ 03/25/14 11:55 AM
Did we ever find out that saves from PS3 version to PS4 version would carry over this year? I wasn't going to buy The Show for PS3, but now I am thinking about grabbing it and just doing RTTS until the PS4 version releases, but I want to make sure I can transfer my file.

I'm sure I'll be able to trade the PS3 version in for $40 at Best Buy during the 100% trade in promotions. Game will only cost me $48 plus tax being a GCU member.

# 182 thaSLAB @ 03/25/14 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Did we ever find out that saves from PS3 version to PS4 version would carry over this year? I wasn't going to buy The Show for PS3, but now I am thinking about grabbing it and just doing RTTS until the PS4 version releases, but I want to make sure I can transfer my file.

I'm sure I'll be able to trade the PS3 version in for $40 at Best Buy during the 100% trade in promotions. Game will only cost me $48 plus tax being a GCU member.
Yes, saves are compatible between all three platforms.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

# 183 NCAAFootballFreak @ 03/26/14 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Funny, but my point was your statistics show I'm a fan of rtts when in fact I play far more games in franchise, MoM.
And his point is that you said basically the same thing about three or four times. You made your initial statement about your playing preferences, and then Russell told you what their research has shown. You rebutted by re-stating your playing preferences.

Woodweaver replied, "We know," as in "We get it. You are an outlier. Move on."

You follow? There's nothing creepy about it. He's simply saying "We heard you the first time."

-- Stephen

# 184 Madden's Jowels @ 03/26/14 01:10 AM
If you get drafted and choose to go back to school, does that actually advance the game 1 year, to the 2015 draft? Or however many years you decided to go to school for? I'm guessing that's a no, but I figured I might as well ask. I think this would be awesome. Changes up the draft order, adds another element to the process and more realism.

Personally I'd love to go #1 overall (and keep trying the showcase over and over until I do) but I can't say I have a strong desire to play for the Astros haha.

# 185 zomgerd @ 03/26/14 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
If you get drafted and choose to go back to school, does that actually advance the game 1 year, to the 2015 draft? Or however many years you decided to go to school for? I'm guessing that's a no, but I figured I might as well ask. I think this would be awesome. Changes up the draft order, adds another element to the process and more realism.

Personally I'd love to go #1 overall (and keep trying the showcase over and over until I do) but I can't say I have a strong desire to play for the Astros haha.
No, the year you get drafted is always 2014.

# 186 Madden's Jowels @ 03/26/14 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgerd
No, the year you get drafted is always 2014.

So you enter the 2014 draft showcase, get drafted, decide you want to go to a 4 year college, come back and do the showcase and get drafted again... in 2014. Haha.

I get why they do it that way, but it would be cool if it actually advanced time, or gave you the option to.

# 187 zomgerd @ 03/26/14 01:21 AM
Quote:
So you enter the 2014 draft showcase, get drafted, decide you want to go to a 4 year college, come back and do the showcase and get drafted again... in 2014. Haha.
I think it's weird too, to be honest. xD

# 188 zomgerd @ 03/26/14 01:26 AM
Quote:

I get why they do it that way, but it would be cool if it actually advanced time, or gave you the option to.
Agreed, perhaps next year.

# 189 Madden's Jowels @ 03/26/14 01:32 AM
OK here's another question:

Regardless of if you're using custom rosters or not, I assume the game generates a made up draft class right? Can you create a draft class and then enter yourself amongst it?

# 190 SilverBullet1929 @ 03/26/14 01:57 AM
Quote:

While it seems strange the way they get around it is they never once tell u what year the showcase was , if u get drafted u still don't know the year it is, if u choose to go back to school the years again are not known... The year only comes into play once u sign with ur drafting team and begin that minor league season which now finally takes place in 2014.

So depending on the path u choose the showcase and ur initial draft could be anywhere from 2009 to 2014 depending on how much schooling u choose if any and probably even depending on more details like what ur fictional schools calendar might be.

Regardless u wouldn't ever know the year of ur showcase and/or draft(s) until u actually begin ur minor league season and then can calculate back from there.

Bottom line, the initial showcase and draft take place in ambiguous, unspecified years so that you always begin ur first minor league season in 2014, which is fine by me. Tricky but well done cuz I can just imagine the fits people would have if they get start in 2014 go back to school then get drafted again in 2014. So this way is better .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

# 191 Madden's Jowels @ 03/26/14 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
While it seems strange the way they get around it is they never once tell u what year the showcase was , if u get drafted u still don't know the year it is, if u choose to go back to school the years again are not known... The year only comes into play once u sign with ur drafting team and begin that minor league season which now finally takes place in 2014.

So depending on the path u choose the showcase and ur initial draft could be anywhere from 2009 to 2014 depending on how much schooling u choose if any and probably even depending on more details like what ur fictional schools calendar might be.

Regardless u wouldn't ever know the year of ur showcase and/or draft(s) until u actually begin ur minor league season and then can calculate back from there.

Bottom line, the initial showcase and draft take place in ambiguous, unspecified years so that you always begin ur first minor league season in 2014, which is fine by me. Tricky but well done cuz I can just imagine the fits people would have if they get start in 2014 go back to school then get drafted again in 2014. So this way is better .

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I figured that's probably how they did it. Still though, a player gets drafted twice and in both years it's the exact same draft order, even the comp picks lol.

# 192 catswithbats @ 03/27/14 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
any plans on allowing female players to be created??
As a female fan/gamer I am interested to see if this will happen some day.

# 193 HustlinOwl @ 03/27/14 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catswithbats
As a female fan/gamer I am interested to see if this will happen some day.
My 7 year old daughter asked me this as well. She loves beginner mode

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

# 194 Tommy9017 @ 03/27/14 02:44 PM
i just cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 195 MLB Bob @ 03/27/14 04:12 PM
Quote:

I think another reason for this feature being set this way is for year to year saves. i may be wrong but I have a feeling this was done to factor into this feature some how

# 196 MrOldboy @ 03/27/14 05:24 PM
If it advanced time you have to think about how they would sim those years. Would it just be a rigid set advancement that SCEA came up with before hand (which would be the same for everyone) or would it do an actual sim like you would in RTTS. Not sure what other way they would progress time. Imagine sitting while a 4 years were simmed just to play the showcase again. That would make that feature almost worthless to everyone who didn't want to sit through that.

# 197 duc748s @ 03/27/14 08:58 PM
As a person that plays RttS 95% of the time I am so happy to hear the improvements to it. Also happy to hear Broadcast audio is put back in (with the option to turn it off for those that liked '13's version).

One question though, as this has always bugged me in RttS playing as a pitcher. Will RttS pitchers get credit for at bats (and even fielding) when those oppurtunitues come up? Like bunting a runner into scoring position, or RBI's, hits, HRs (and even scoring from a base)?

I had a game recently where I hit a HR (with a player on base) to go ahead 2-0 in the game, which ended up being the final score. It was such an epic moment for me but there was no fanfare, no excitement from the game. The game acted like it was a typical play. The end result was I only got 5 points for the Run. Also I got player of the game based off of pitching but not the 2 run HR? I thought that was weird (the team was pretty much hit-less during that game).

This updates are making it hard for me to wait it out till May, guess I might have to get all 3 versions (I really hope the pitch meter stutter is gone form Vita version this year)

# 198 MLB Bob @ 03/30/14 12:48 PM
Im not trying to be over critical and want to say outright that I really like the changes to RTTS this year and adding back in the commentary as a option.

My question is with the changes. In interviews its stated that they wanted to make changes to RTTS goal system because it wasnt realistic and didnt give the feeling they wanted.....so why were they ever in there in the first place? If it isnt realistic or fun or whatever, why did they have it in there for so long and then decide to change it after years of it being like that?

I looking forward to the new design and hope to spend a lot of time with this version. Thanks for the changes SCEA

# 199 KingTocco @ 03/30/14 01:02 PM
New to MLB The Show and will be buying this year, quick question.

Do you have to play every game or can you sim individual games? Can you sim parts of games and enter whenever you want?

# 200 agentlaw13 @ 03/30/14 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
Im not trying to be over critical and want to say outright that I really like the changes to RTTS this year and adding back in the commentary as a option.

My question is with the changes. In interviews its stated that they wanted to make changes to RTTS goal system because it wasnt realistic and didnt give the feeling they wanted.....so why were they ever in there in the first place? If it isnt realistic or fun or whatever, why did they have it in there for so long and then decide to change it after years of it being like that?

I looking forward to the new design and hope to spend a lot of time with this version. Thanks for the changes SCEA
Im sure the original plan for being called up in RTTS involved the goals bc that was the easiest way to monitor progress and justify getting your player called up. I believe SCEA realized that this needed to change after years of hearing feedback about RTTS players having monster stats but failing to get promoted due to an "unnecessary" goal that wasnt met. I too, like the fact that they made it more realistic this year by dropping the goals and basing call-ups primarily on performance.

Cant wait to dig into it this week and transfer it over to the PS4 when it arrives in May. Good luck in your RTTS.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.