Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Hey everyone, I’m Kirby St. John, a designer with the MLB The Show development team. My main focus year-to-year is improving and evolving one of our most popular modes, Road to The Show. The mode made some big strides last year, especially in terms of gameplay and presentation, but for MLB 14, we really wanted to focus on the logic and systems that govern the mode in an effort to allow for more variety and less restrictions. We also wanted to provide some new experiences never seen before in RTTS. The video touched on a lot of topics, but in this blog I will expand on what was introduced there and discuss some of the exciting things that were only briefly mentioned.

Read More - Dev Blog: RTTS The Evolution Continues in MLB 14 The Show

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 tessl @ 03/20/14 12:37 PM
I have a question for rttp players. In the video it appears training is done by assigning xp to certain categories. Is this how it was done last year or is this new?

I use franchise mode and I'm wondering it this will be part of franchise now.

# 162 tessl @ 03/20/14 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
While this may be true you should also assume you are likely an outlier in their statistics. I would bet on their numbers being an accurate depiction of mode usage.

Sent from my iPhone 5
Unless there is some way to track offline usage I'm not aware of, I disagree.

# 163 MrOldboy @ 03/20/14 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Unless there is some way to track offline usage I'm not aware of, I disagree.
If they believe RTTS is the most played mode, I'm sure they have something backing that up, but to me the % of games played isn't a great measure of that to me. But Ramone also said they were aware of the time investment difference in the modes.

For example if I had to guess about how I play the game in terms of time invested. I'd guess 50% franchise, 30% online, 20% RTTS. But in terms of what Ramone said I am sure that my total games played in RTTS is way more than the other modes. Maybe not 90%, but its significantly more than the other modes.

# 164 RecordBreakerCF @ 03/20/14 04:41 PM
I can't wait to get MLB 14 The Show! The new features for RTTS look and sound great!

# 165 razorkaos @ 03/20/14 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco291
improvements are aplenty this year. You'd be foolish not to wait 11 days until MLB 14 comes out. Just wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotmonster
If you have the extra $ to spend, go for '14. The new features in this year's game seems to be worth it, in my opinion.
Thanks guys, i will probably buy 14. These new RTTS features are for the PS4 version only? Cause it looks amazing, and i'm a big fan of these "player career modes", and i can see myself playing RTTS for hundreds of hours.

# 166 Rand @ 03/20/14 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorkaos
Thanks guys, i will probably buy 14. These new RTTS features are for the PS4 version only? Cause it looks amazing, and i'm a big fan of these "player career modes", and i can see myself playing RTTS for hundreds of hours.
RTTS new features are on all of Vita/PS3/PS4.
No feature difference between PS3/4 versions of the game at all.

# 167 MatrixTN @ 03/21/14 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I have a question for rttp players. In the video it appears training is done by assigning xp to certain categories. Is this how it was done last year or is this new?

I use franchise mode and I'm wondering it this will be part of franchise now.
Previously since its first inception it was Training Points, the XP appears to be same deal just different name.

# 168 Mitchrapp @ 03/21/14 03:45 AM
I wuv you..

# 169 allhailben7 @ 03/21/14 09:53 AM
In RTTS, do we have the same presets/sliders when we first create our player? Like in '12 (skipped 13 because I didn't want to start over) I could make a contact-hitting speedster with like 65 speed or power hitter with like 45 speed to start. Or is it like NCAA Football 11-14 where your play in the games determines your specific ratings (outside of the mentioned potential)?

# 170 Mitchrapp @ 03/21/14 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailben7
In RTTS, do we have the same presets/sliders when we first create our player? Like in '12 (skipped 13 because I didn't want to start over) I could make a contact-hitting speedster with like 65 speed or power hitter with like 45 speed to start. Or is it like NCAA Football 11-14 where your play in the games determines your specific ratings (outside of the mentioned potential)?
That's a good question..

# 171 RecordBreakerCF @ 03/22/14 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_ball
I will always love this series but it's time for negatives because this community gives to much praise & little negative. First with RTTS where's a draft presentation? Why can't you do that? Base it off the real life like MLB network. I want to here player voices like in NBA 2k14. & I can still see that the fielding animations are horrible still they look like the guy is on some drug. I'm sorry but MVP baseball had better fielding animations & that was in 2005! In MLB they always were stiff. I'm hoping this is just the ps3 version & vita. Because NBA did do this also I was hating & then the ps4 stuff came out. So I'll give it time. But you guys need to be quicker with info I understand about the ps4 but the ps3 doesn't really have anything either? Like what? Come on. & with NBA 2k In mind make a good my team like with historic packs & team packs & etc. No one wants fake players. If you copied the nba 2k my team you would have so much fans. Baseball & MLB the show will always be life both in real life & my video game. Form ruin it. Show improvements & how about this little detail you know how a pitcher or batter steps out how about you make the screen shake making you want to step out making it more realistic. & also show fights & brawls. & get the new replay system in there please everything I just said.......
Are you kidding me?

# 172 Metsfan31 @ 03/22/14 11:47 AM
This looks so awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

# 173 FBeaule04 @ 03/22/14 11:53 AM
As soon this game it the shelves for PS4, I'll buy it. It's just amazing to read an article like that and finally see a company that cares not only about the online modes. This RTTS is looking promising, so far, it's a triple, and might just turn quickly in a grand slam when we play it.

# 174 Madden's Jowels @ 03/22/14 01:02 PM
Woodweaver any chance you could answer this for me?

In The Show 13, in RTTS mode, players would get into free agency and not get a single contract offer. I know for myself, I was coming off like a 50+ HR season, OPS over 1.000, MVP, Gold Glove, etc and was only like 24 years old. Get to the offseason, nada. I actually saved before the offseason and attempted free agency multiple times to see what would happen, occasionally I would get offers (usually lowball offers) but more often than not I would not get a single offer and I would have to pick a team to try out for in spring training. Once or twice I would get an offer for an extension from my current team and then they would trade me in the offseason (a sign and trade? lol) This is an egregious problem for RTTS in my opinion. Has this been addressed in 14? I can't imagine Mike Trout getting through his arbitration years and then sitting in free agency for 3 months lol. (He probably won't get to free agency if the Angels have anything to say about it, but it's just an example).

# 175 HustlinOwl @ 03/22/14 11:45 PM
any plans on allowing female players to be created??

# 176 Knight165 @ 03/22/14 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
any plans on allowing female players to be created??
Oh man....I've got a line or two for this one....but it'd get me tossed for sure.
(not involving you HO )

M.K.
Knight165

# 177 eaw913 @ 03/23/14 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Oh man....I've got a line or two for this one....but it'd get me tossed for sure.
(not involving you HO )

M.K.
Knight165
I laughed at the "not involving you HO" part. I know you meant it as Hustlin Owl.. but in the context..

# 178 HustlinOwl @ 03/23/14 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
(not involving you HO )

M.K.
Knight165
just asking because see it being thrown around for NBA2k and "The Park"

# 179 redsox4evur @ 03/23/14 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
As soon this game it the shelves for PS4, I'll buy it. It's just amazing to read an article like that and finally see a company that cares not only about the online modes. This RTTS is looking promising, so far, it's a triple, and might just turn quickly in a grand slam when we play it.
I call bulls***t about not them caring not only about online. Yes they went challenged a lot with RTTS but they made a bulk of their changes to online. This is leaning towards the new/improved online franchise mode, and all of the changes made to that, which can be seen on page 8 of that thread. Also if you read it pissed some fans off. Just the changes that were made for online with the ones made off line Just go read through that entire thread and you may change your opinion.

# 180 nuckles2k2 @ 03/24/14 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I call bulls***t about not them caring not only about online. Yes they went challenged a lot with RTTS but they made a bulk of their changes to online. This is leaning towards the new/improved online franchise mode, and all of the changes made to that, which can be seen on page 8 of that thread. Also if you read it pissed some fans off. Just the changes that were made for online with the ones made off line Just go read through that entire thread and you may change your opinion.
Number one....what?

Number two, I would disagree with you. You say they went and changed a lot with RTTS, but then brush that off, and say that the bulk of their changes are online...but RTTS is shaping up to be a completely different mode.

The amount of code that goes behind the logic of season long scouting, and call-ups at any time, is a lot more than call-ups and demotions being based on injuries, and training periods.

The fact that bloop singles will be weighted, and valued, lower than rocket line-drive outs, is another area that shows how much is going into the mode to separate itself from years past.

If you wanna highlight any disparities between online franchise, and offline franchise, go ahead, have at it. But you can't brush off what's going into RTTS this year. The amount of code behind the improvements has to be dizzying. I would call that a sizable "bulk" of changes.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.