Home
News Post

San Antonio's fifth NBA championship in the Tim Duncan era should be celebrated. But when we look at the next steps for both the Spurs and Heat, it's easy to get more excited about the 'What's next?' down in South Beach.

The Spurs have been an incredible dynastic team and the core peaces don't appear as volatile as those in Miami. The possibilities for the Heat this offseason could range from free-agent loss to superstar gain -- or even a trade?

Is it time for Bosh to go, or Wade? Should the Heat pursue Kevin Love or Carmelo Anthony? Or will LeBron decide his run in Miami is over and take his talents elsewhere?

Sound Off: What roster moves are needed for the Miami Heat?

Sports Headlines for June 16, 2014

Game: NBAReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 onac22 @ 06/16/14 12:18 PM
The heat will be buying a little cart for Lebron that will give him a ride when he cramps to save the humiliation of being carried.

# 2 WinTheDay @ 06/16/14 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan84
Not a fan of the new "joining forces nba," Ive stated b4 that the talent needs to be spread out more in order to create parity. Its nice to see the Spurs win the title, proving that building a sound team and great coaching should be the right way to do things! The Heat have been to 4 straight finals do to a broken system where teams are able to stack up! The cap shoulnt allow for 2-3 superstars to be on the same team! Nobody wants to work for a title anymore so they team up with fellow all-stars and win it. If the cap was set or adjusted so great players had no choice but play for teams that could afford them, then in turn every team would be equal talent wise. But Im sure next season we will see Lebron, Melo, and Love all on the same team, WTF?
The Heat's just a collection of talent with no chemistry and only one play. Get the ball to LeBron. The Spurs showed that chemistry will beat a collection of talent with none of its own every time, and crush it in doing so. They proved that you don't need the best players in the world to win a championship. Having talent is one thing. Having the know how to use it is a whole 'nother ballgame. San Antonio was on a different level than Miami. Spoelstra doesn't have the experience yet (or the talent) to win another title for a long time, if ever again. I wouldn't be surprised if last year's title is LeBron's last. I'm not surprised that San Antonio won in dominating fashion. It almost seemed like it should have been a sweep. Miami had no chance. I think they were lucky to win the one game they did. It also seemed like the Heat just quit playing after they got down like by 10 or so. No mental toughness. I hope Miami fans realize this and get a harsh dose of reality that they deserve. Their team isn't the best in the world anymore. It's San Antonio as it stands right now.

# 3 BringTheHeat @ 06/16/14 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinTheDay
The Heat's just a collection of talent with no chemistry and only one play. Get the ball to LeBron. The Spurs showed that chemistry will beat a collection of talent with none of its own every time, and crush it in doing so. They proved that you don't need the best players in the world to win a championship. Having talent is one thing. Having the know how to use it is a whole 'nother ballgame. San Antonio was on a different level than Miami. Spoelstra doesn't have the experience yet (or the talent) to win another title for a long time, if ever again. I wouldn't be surprised if last year's title is LeBron's last. I'm not surprised that San Antonio won in dominating fashion. It almost seemed like it should have been a sweep. Miami had no chance. I think they were lucky to win the one game they did. It also seemed like the Heat just quit playing after they got down like by 10 or so. No mental toughness. I hope Miami fans realize this and get a harsh dose of reality that they deserve. Their team isn't the best in the world anymore. It's San Antonio as it stands right now.
You do realize they won two titles right? Beating the Spurs in one of them.

# 4 TheNumber35 @ 06/16/14 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheHeat
You do realize they won two titles right? Beating the Spurs in one of them.

Those obviously don't count. Because the league's talent is so diluted because Lebron teamed up with 2 other superstar players. Gotta keep up with these things man.

# 5 ojandpizza @ 06/16/14 03:29 PM
If only they hadn't traded Joel Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 6 iLLWiLL9105 @ 06/16/14 04:17 PM
The talent isn't so much diluted as much as there are to many teams now. There are about as many quality players as there has ever been. There has never been a time in the league where there were thirty players capable of carrying a team. Talent was distributed a little more evenly in the past though because you had less teams. That being said the Heat will be fine. They need to focus on bringing in reliable shooters/defenders for the bench and I feel its time to switch to a more conservative defense ala the Bulls. They no longer have the horses for the style they play.

# 7 iLLWiLL9105 @ 06/16/14 04:20 PM
It wasnt a coincidence that the only team that didnt get dismantled by the Spurs was the team with the conservative traditional defense in the Mavs

# 8 DBMcGee3 @ 06/16/14 04:26 PM
I don't see the Heat really having the luxury of deciding who leaves and who stays. Obviously they don't want James to opt out, but for this team to really get better they DO need Wade to either be gone or making less money. The problem there is that Wade knows he'll never again see the kind of money he's making on his current contract, so he's almost assuredly going to stay put. Bosh is an enigma, because he actually could get paid more by opting out and signing elsewhere, and most likely he'd get to see the ball a lot more on another team, rather than being limited to the spot-up shooter role he's grown accustomed to in Miami.

What they really need is to spend some coin on a better coach. 'Coach Spo' isn't Scott Brooks bad, but he's far from a great tactical coach, and I just never got the feeling that the players have any respect for him.

# 9 Vni @ 06/16/14 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
What they really need is to spend some coin on a better coach. 'Coach Spo' isn't Scott Brooks bad, but he's far from a great tactical coach, and I just never got the feeling that the players have any respect for him.
Yet they went to four finals in a row and won two and with no center. It's amazing that Spo still doesn't get the credit he earned.

# 10 st0rmb11 @ 06/16/14 04:40 PM
LOL at the idea that the Heat have no chemistry and have one offense; "Get the ball to LeBron, and everyone else watch."

These guys played beautiful team basketball for 3 years before this season. This season, they did become more of a one man show, but only out of necessity. Bosh has pretty much made up his mind that he will be a jump shooter, and Wade can't seem to consistently put up big numbers any more. He's good for a few games at a time, but LeBron really is the only one that can consistently create for others.

But the Spurs were the only team that was able to expose it. Wade was having a great postseason until the Finals.

If they keep LeBron, I think they should keep Wade & Bosh, as well (at considerable discounts, mind you), and use that money to go out and get a point guard. LeBron and Wade should be playing off of each other WITHOUT the ball. They both do it beautifully. Get a point guard in there that can actually run an offense. It doesn't have to be Tony Parker or someone like that. Just a solid point guard. Chalmers is alright for what he does, but he has become a stand still shooter, that spots up when LeBron penetrates.

As far as the rumors I've read about the Heat going for 'Melo? That's the last thing they need.

# 11 rdnk @ 06/16/14 05:13 PM
Wade will opt in because he is not getting that kind of money from anywhere anymore.

Bosh is in the weird situation where he could get a max deal elsewhere but isn't worth what he's being paid now for how the Heat play him.

As for LeBron, didn't he leave Cleveland in part because he didn't have much support around him? What he has around him in Miami is fading fast.

If one of those three leave, they should take a hard look at Kyle Lowry.

# 12 Jmb4life @ 06/16/14 06:27 PM
I find myself loving and hating Lebron at times. I love him because, lets face it, he's the most dominate force in sports year in and year out. I hate him because despite his greatness, he is so passive and soft. I guess when I see a superstar, I automatically expect them to be a killer on the court and its hard to face that he is just not that type of guy. I also hate him for teaming up with two other elite players and conspiring to do it years before it happened. I digress though.

I don't see Dwade or Bosh going anywhere. The Heat definitely DO NOT need Melo. Miami won 2 titles. I think their strategy is not completely bad. I agree that they need to address the point guard/center issue. If its me, I'm looking for a Center who can defend the paint because Miami really lacks a paint defense. Problem is, idk who can fill that role (Tyson Chandler comes to mind).

Whatever they do, they need to make it a top priority to get a real point guard or center or both if the core 3 come back.

# 13 lilteapot @ 06/16/14 06:41 PM
It's best for the heat for wade to opt out.he's more a liability to this team more than anything at this point, missing tons of games and that really screwed up the chemistry in this team imo.but he's obviously opting in.

Bosh is the most likely member of the big three to leave.he's still very good but he's also racked up a lot of minutes especially by playing in a position he's not comfortable in.unless the heat get a decent rim protector he might be outta there.

LeBron is staying.yeah, he left Cleveland because he had too big of a bUrden to shoulder, but the difference is now he's part of an organization that knows how to be smart and plan ahead.besides on Miami he has the best chance to make the finals.

Chalmers contract will not be renewed.Miami needs a point guard desperately and Cole is only decent as a second option.

# 14 BringTheHeat @ 06/16/14 07:34 PM
Predictions for Miami:

All 3 are staying
Wade will take a significant paycut
Ray Allen will retire

I'll look at possible signings when I have more time, need a shooter, big man, and point guard

# 15 Gramps91 @ 06/17/14 06:38 AM
So happy for the Spurs and Tim Duncan. Much respect for those guys

I'm not sure what will happen but the most logical would be for all to stay with Wade taking the paycut. They'll probably sign a big man or a better point guard

# 16 EAGLESFAN10 @ 06/17/14 09:01 AM
They should sign Shaun Livingston and Robin Lopez

They should keep Beasley

# 17 lilteapot @ 06/17/14 09:28 AM
Yeah Beasley should stay and spo needs to be less stubborn and play him more.dude is a gifted offensive player and his defense will improve

# 18 KIWI BLITZ @ 06/25/14 09:14 AM
I think Bosh and Wade will both opt out after Lebron leaving the heat to rebuild again

# 19 Armor and Sword @ 06/25/14 05:18 PM
All are coming back.

The Heat will re-tool not rebuild. The amount of hate this team took over the last 4 years is comical to me. The new CBA was constructed because Pat Riley pulled off what seemed the impossible. But they pretty much anticipated the new CBA to a certain extent with the player options all coming this year.

A lot of people truly do not understand the dynamic of this team and how it has been ever since Pat Riley came down here. It's a culture that has been ingrained into the staff. From the ticket takers to the head honcho Riley. It's a culture of playing winning basketball, hard work, and tireless dedication to excellence. Whether it was Zo or Timmy, Wade and Shaq or even Wade, Butler and Odom in Wade's rookie year…Riley is a master. Coach Spo get's almost no press yet Lebron knew he was the coach when he signed up and believe it or not he loves him. Spo is a Pat Riley disciple a kid who started here in 1995 as a film assistant.

Not only are those three opting out (Lebron already did obviously) but expect Haslem to as well, to free up as much cap flexibility for the team.

The bloggers and ESPN's of the world are having their fun right now. Enjoy it. Because within the next 7-10 days it will be over and The Miami Heat will have extended Lebron, Wade and Bosh and look to add a couple of new pieces to go along with Allen (one more year), Coles, Beasley, Haslem (at the end obviously) maybe Lewis, maybe Birdman.

We have a saying down here in South Florida:

In Riley We Trust

# 20 Armor and Sword @ 07/14/14 11:29 AM
Well.....that did not go too well. LOL. But we still are bringing back Bosh and of course Wade.

Deng has been signed. Chalmers has agreed to return. McRoberts and Granger are coming. McRoberts is a super solid signing. Granger is a 2MM lotto ticket with a player option for year 2.

Heat fans are not in panic mode at all. We are actually already talking about the upcoming season. Can Wade really have a great off-season, lose some weight and get some more lift back into his jumper? The feeling is now that this is Wade's team again and if he can really get focused in the off-season to return stronger and healthier than he has been in the past two seasons (and remember he will be a full 1.5 years removed from that same procedure Kobe had) he can give us one to two more very solid years.

Bosh now becomes the number one scoring option and we know he can respond in that role. I would not be shocked to see coach Spo redesign the entire scheme around Bosh and Wade (captain obvious). We are returning Coles who maybe can take the next step in his development in year 4. Shabazz Naiper is a heck of a PG prospect and IMO in any other year would have been a top 15 pick. This years draft was flush with talent.

Birdman should be able to be brought back for one more season. I believe they will give Greg Oden a shot at some serious playing time. James Jones may also return for one more season as Wade's back up at SG.

There is still some room under the cap to maneuver and bring in a few more support role pieces.

But make no mistake. This team will be gearing up for a run at the 2016 Free Agent Class and players like to come down to Miami to play for a first class organization.

In Riley We Trust

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.