Home
NBA Live 15 News Post

NBA Live 15 is available today for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Since more people will have their hands on it today, we figured it would be better to start a fresh new topic.

If you want to read some impressions from the EA Access version, click here. Otherwise, play a few games and post your impressions.

NOTE: If you are looking for the game or demo in the PS Store, they typically update later in the afternoon.

EA Sports has posted their full list of controls for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Below is a list of items that have arrived in the first in-game update:
  • Updated scanned player heads for D. Rose, J. Noah, K. Leonard, and C. Anthony
  • Updated San Antonio Spurs Championship jerseys
  • Cleveland, New Orleans, and Charlotte courts have been updated
  • Updated jersey icons for MIN alternate, MIA Floridians (Hardwood Classics), PHI road, CLE alt 2
  • Updated accessory colors for new Cavaliers uniforms
  • Updated "Pull the Chair" Post Move
  • Updated catch animations on inbound passes
  • Updated "Up and Under" layup animations
  • Updated team show colors for Sacramento
  • Jordan shoes updated for players in Rookie Showcase.
  • Steal rating updated for K. Humphries & J. Hamilton
  • Updated accessories on several players
  • Updated rosters to reflect recent player moves
  • Updated player shoes in the All-Star Game
  • Moved some players to the free agency pool
  • Updated player portraits in Live Ultimate Team
  • Info updated on several players, including playstyles, positions, jersey numbers and more
  • Foot planting with pump fakes has been updated
  • Shot timing updated for free throws

Game: NBA Live 15Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 13 - View All
NBA Live 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 Mintsa @ 10/29/14 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Sorry Mintsa, rotations were on point in the 5-6 games i played, and my bench got plenty of burn. It was really well done, actually.

I didn't see a dedicated place to view stats, so I attempted to look under my profile in the leader board section. It took about 4-5 minutes to load so I backed out of it. I will try again today now that PSN's servers are back stable.

Cool. Good to hear about fatigue/bench use. This was basically ignored in previous Lives. Starters would just play the whole game your team wouldn't auto sub anyone either.

# 182 Walt Frazier @ 10/29/14 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
I'm not sure that guys in here are saying that Live is better than 2K - at least the guys that I respect/trust when it comes to their impressions of the game. I love 2K this year, but I can tell that I'm going to love this game as well. To argue that the OVERALL experience of Live is better than 2K would be ridiculous. The graphics, gameplay, modes, depth of those modes, animations, etc. are much better in 2K when you look at it as a whole. I think that most would agree with that.

But, the reason that myself (and I think some of the other guys) enjoy Live - and maybe even prefer it (that doesn't mean it's better) in some cases is because there are some aspects that it does better than 2K. And while they are little things, those little things do matter to some people more than others. In my opinion, here are some of those things:

Arenas
- Each arena is beautifully replicated, along with customized stadium sounds and energetic crowds. There's a big difference in "feel" when you're playing at home as opposed to on the road. And each away game also feels different - the atmosphere is totally immersive.

Color
- Live's graphics aren't as good as 2K's, but the colors really pop and draw you in.

Presentation
- ESPN-style presentation/camera is outstanding. When you combine this with the arenas and the colors, it's very easy to lose yourself in the game.

Automotion
- This is really well implemented this year. While the CPU AI isn't as team specific as 2K, the player movement of Automotion is outstanding. Guys like Pau Gasol don't always camp on the low block every time down. I don't have to call a play to get different types of movement. Also - and this has always been one of my big pet peeves of 2K - when guys come around screens in Live, they don't automatically drift either outside the 3-point line or with one foot on the line. They will actually come off screens tighter and stay inside the 3-point line, actually allowing you to take a mid-range jumper.

Post Game
- 2K has an insane amount of post moves and animations that are beautiful to watch. But what good are they when I can take any post player - let's just say Kendrick Perkins - and back down Dwight Howard every single time until I'm a foot away from the basket for an easy hook shot? While the post moves are limited and sometimes ugly in Live, it's also a much more physical "experience" because you can't just do whatever you want down there. Guys that are tough to back down are actually tough to back down.

Offensive Rebounding
- Sliders do help this in 2K, though it's still ridiculous. Not only are the offensive rebounding numbers insanely high, but they put the shots back up off the rebound every single time. I saw someone else mention this and I'm glad they did, but in Live, they will actually kick the ball back out. Even though that's a little thing, that is a HUGE deal when it comes to a realistic experience.

And when it comes to "sim" as you mentioned above, a game is only as sim as you want to play it. I don' think either 2K or Live are sim games. But, they can both be played as a sim should you choose to play that way. That's why Live having sliders would help tremendously. But, the idea that 2K gameplay trumps live when it comes to a sim experience simply isn't true.

I didn't want to make this into a 2K/Live debate, but it seems like that's the best way for people to understand how Live stacks up. 2K does a lot of things better than Live does, but this is the Live forum, so I'm highlighting why I enjoy Live. Luckily, I have both games so I'm able to enjoy each of them for different reasons.

Great post.

# 183 SageInfinite @ 10/29/14 10:23 AM
Played the demo a few times last night, and I'll say I do like the game, but it is NOT a good game imo.

The lighting and crowd/arena atmosphere/sound is amazing. Everything else is mediocre to poor. It really is the NBA version of Madden.

I'd pick it up for 25-30 bucks, but not for full price. If they keep building it might be a good game someday, but right now, nah......

# 184 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 10/29/14 10:26 AM
Any major differences in patch vs demo build?

With me picking up AW next week I'm having a tough time justifying the 60$ but I do want this game

# 185 ucfberman @ 10/29/14 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
How do you get the "popper" on the pick and pop to pop inside of the 3 poor line?
Move the ball handler farther away from the screen. Imagine there's a box around the pick interaction, once you move the ball handler outside the 'box' you'll see the icon switch to 'Pop'

# 186 The 24th Letter @ 10/29/14 10:29 AM
I feel like Live's spacing is a bit overrated.

It looks great in screen shots, but I personally never feel like I have as much space as what I'm looking at.

I think what contributes to this is jerky movement by your off ball team mates, the wing defenders not collapsing frequently enough, and your on ball defender being glued to you...even when he's beat. I think crisper passing would help as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfberman
Move the ball handler farther away from the screen. Imagine there's a box around the pick interaction, once you move the ball handler outside the 'box' you'll see the icon switch to 'Pop'

Thanks...I actually know how to execute it, but when I P&P with a guy like D. West I want him to pop to the midrange area instead of the 3 point line....

# 187 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 10/29/14 10:34 AM
Colors really need more pop they look bland. I thought it was just YouTube .

# 188 DBMcGee3 @ 10/29/14 11:09 AM
I got in about 3 games with the demo last night, and for the most part enjoyed myself:

Pros:

-Player models look great, significantly more realistic than those in 2k

-The weight and pace of the game feels good to me, it seems like gravity is more a factor and I wasn't seeing lots of sliding.

-I love the dribbling in Live, and always have. It feels faster and more responsive, even though I'm not a fan of the Broadcast camera. It's great that they brought back the sizeup, and I liked the signature dribbles as well, although I only had a small sample size.

Cons:

-The collision animations are still clunky and stiff when driving the lane. Nowhere near the smooth feeling of 2k when you drive to the rim and take some contact. I was expecting good things since the collisions in FIFA are so good, but Live isn't there yet. I saw the same animations repeatedly, which gets old after a few games.

-The passing is a bit stiff too, they need more animations, and although I found the contextual passing to be adequate, it would be nice to have more control over the types of passes made.

-Sometimes I felt like my ball handler wasn't facing up with the basket while performing dribble moves, which looked and felt a bit awkward to me.

-Too many shots going in, period. Kyrie Irving was 13-15 against me, and the bulk of those were fairly well contested shots. A few of them were WTF moments.

-Pick and Rolls weren't too great, or maybe I just don't understand the system yet. Apparently the action of the screen setter is contextual, and I never really felt sure of what he was going to do until the icon would change suddenly. Jury's still out on this one.

-I'm not sold on the player tendencies based on the demo. LeBron was unbelievably passive in all 3 games. Guarding him never felt difficult, or any different than guarding anyone else.

Overall, I really had fun, but until I try the full version with the patch, I can't really commit to this game. I've heard people say the patch is a huge difference, but I'm skeptical about how much they could possibly clean up, in the animations department especially. Anyone have any links to some gameplay post-patch?

Thanks guys

# 189 blackceasar @ 10/29/14 11:24 AM
First off I'm by no means a 2k fanboy. I AM however of sports games that get me closest to the EXPERIENCE of a real life broadcast of that sport (or what it would be like for me to be IN that sport), if that makes sense. With that said, here's what I think about Live 15 RETAIL 59.99 version...

GRAPHICS - -------
It looks WAY better than last year. Last year's models looked like something I would have done with a bootleg cheap 3D program and a 3D Modeling & Texturing for Dummies book. I will *gasp* even go as far as saying that some of the players faces look better than 2k this year. Yup, I said it. SOME... look BETTER... than 2K this year. I think the areans (at least the floors) look better than 2k this year as well. There is a sharp and crispness to some of Lives graphics that 2k has never really dialed up. Live had not dailed it up for a long time either but back in Live 10, the game had a super detailed crispness to it that 2k10 didnt have.. BUT 2k10 played better.

ANIMATION - ------------
Better than last year but I still think its still not close enough to justifying the full 59.99 price tag. Players seem to not have much weight to them. I think some animations are OK, some are not that great. I feel like EA is still in the practice of cutting corners and being lazy and hoping we don't catch it. I feel like there's like maybe 3 sets of animations and they were randomly applied to players in the game. Big men while moving sower, still play like a PG does in the game.. they just move slower, but animate pretty much the same way. While there IS some contact when you go into the lane, you dont really get that feeling of collision and disruptoin while in the paint. I dont think jump shots look right either. Again, it seems there's a couple of generic animations that 99% of the players got....and that generic animation should have been a lot better. When I sink a 3 I want to feel like I really sank a 3... its hard to explain but Live just doesnt make me feel that way.

SOUND------
Okay, this is one place EA should really look at not only 2k's basketball game but also look at MLB The Show, and even EA's NHL and FIFA franchises. It's better but nowhere near what gamers have been used to with other sports titles, even in last gen's games. My advice to EA sports is this. Dont worry so much about WHO you get to do the commentary. What I mean is, I think we could care less wether its Van Gundy or whoever. Just find some people that will FULLY commit to getting in the studio for as long as it takes to deliver that immersive play by play and dynmaic audio that everyone else in every other sports title seems to be lightyears ahead of Live. IF you cant cant some real celebs to fully commit to that vision then just hire some really good actors. At the end of the day its about the quality of the play by play audio and NOT WHO the play by play is coming from. Sounds on the court seem sparse. Its better but still not that great. You can barely hear the ball hit the backboard when someone throws up a brick, or hear the impact of someone dunking hard on the rim. The NBA over the past 10 years or so now have set up microphones right up on the backboards to give viewers this audio... there's no reason why Live shouldnt have it as well. It takes the immersion out of the game.

PRESENTATION-------
Some of this was covered with the audio. I feel like in some instances they took a step back. WHERE THE HELL IS THE HALFTIME SHOW????? I want some kind of story at the half. Who's doing well, who's not. Who's hot? Who's willing their team to a victory? Who's killing it on the boards? What is up with this vomiting of a single stat and score sheet up on the screen for a few seconds until I press a button (then Im back in the game)??? Where the heck did last year's halftime show go?????? NO EXCUSE.

I actually like SOME of Live's cameras but I think they need to stop being lazy and really look at the little things that have a HUGE impact on immersion. Why doesnt the camera dynmaically give us a little bit of a zoom into the paint when the ball is kicked in there? Why do I feel like when my center or PF has the ball 5 feet from the rim I'm still watching them from waaaaaaay --------> over there.?? You could have at least added a zoom in the paint toggle for your camera selection menu.

I think replays need work as well. While I do REALLY like the fact that i can trigger a replay at my will, i feel like part of it is again laziness on EA's part to really do the programming leg work and logic to internally determine when to fire off a replay on its own. I know the option is in there, but Ive seen it happen maybe once in a game with 12 minute quarters on. Also get off your rear end's and get smarter with your cameras for replays. Some of these cameras you choose for replays make no sense. Kobe shakes Harded and drains a three, but Im watching the replay like im 20 sets up behind the backboard and I dont even see Kobe at all... this needs seriosus work.

In the sense of presentation Live 59.99 retail feels like a demo that just happens to have all the teams unlocked.

CONCLUSION-----------

Is Live 15 better than 14? Sure it is.. then again 14 might be the worst debut of a sports title on a new system.. EVER so it's like breaking up with a 300lb toothless woman with to go out with a 250 lb woman who's got some teeth now (or dentures at least). I'm one of the people that are hard on EA year in and year out and its because I want a better basketball game.. PERIOD.. better than their previous efforts and better than what 2k is doing (which I feel is heading down the path of being the new Madden of old - year in and out complacency because they have been on top for so long). I'm also hard on this title because I expect more for 60.00.. and I'm honest about it... I'm not on here hoping EA Sports offers me a gig. I hoping they give me the Basketball game I think they COULD produce.

My advice - Look at 2k.. and STEAL from them. Look into the 2k Forums and read what people say and understand why they have been stomping a mudhole in you every year since almost Dreamcast days. But ALSO look in the 2k Forums and see what are serious pain points players of 2k have... and there are quite a bit. Steal the good from 2k sports, leave the bad and with a little more effort on your part you will take the crown back. Also look at your other franchises that get audio right, look at MLB the show as well. You guys have more money and resources than 2k Sports and the MLB the Show teams probably have combined. There's nothing stopping you from takin the NBA crown but yourselves...

oooh and one more thing... when your head guy says in interviews that Live 15 is better than 14 but its more of a 2-3 year process to give us the game we really want, then dont ask us to pay full price until you get there. I understand you have investors and suits to cater to but without us, the fans you have no revenue from your title at all.

Youve actually outdone 2k in some areas this year, but don't get a big head. Its not that you guys are now "totally awesome".. you've gotten a little better, and 2k has gotten a little worse. Its like a UFC match and you are now both on the ground, they still have top positoin on you but there's a small window there for you to pull a reversal, put 2k in a rear naked choke and make them tap out.. the question is do you really want it that bad?

Final Score... 6.75/10 (last year was a 3.75/10 for me).

# 190 LingeringRegime @ 10/29/14 11:26 AM
When is the deal with the lack of halftime and post game shows? I saw them in some gameplay videos but they are absent in the retail version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 191 Insight23 @ 10/29/14 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
When is the deal with the lack of halftime and post game shows? I saw them in some gameplay videos but they are absent in the retail version.

They were present in the retail game before the update.

# 192 sirjam @ 10/29/14 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime

Hmm. Weird they are in the demo. In fact they might b a little to long for my taste. Post game show to

# 193 blackceasar @ 10/29/14 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight23
They were present in the retail game before the update.
So they gave us an update to fix some things at the expense of taking other things out? This is exactly why we are so hard on you EA Live team. This is why we hammer you hard and do it so much we get the "zero tolerance" threads just before your game comes out.

You're like the fat girl in a size 2 dress getting ready to go to the club. You look in the mirror and think you're hot. News flash, your opinion of your own game matters none. Its what WE, the people giving you 60.00 every year think about your game. So whats the deal with your halftime show gone after the update??????

# 194 LingeringRegime @ 10/29/14 11:37 AM
Well I guess they need another patch then for the halftime show.

# 195 blackceasar @ 10/29/14 11:40 AM
I guess I'm back to playing Destiny. Someone wake me up when they figure out how to fix things in a patch without taking other important things out (or at least test their patches prior)....

# 196 LingeringRegime @ 10/29/14 11:42 AM
I got all my fouls set to 100.

# 197 nick_sr @ 10/29/14 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
Hmm. Weird they are in the demo. In fact they might b a little to long for my taste. Post game show to
Don't understand why ppl want to sit through it. Its nice the first time but once is enough for me

# 198 LingeringRegime @ 10/29/14 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sr
Don't understand why ppl want to sit through it. Its nice the first time but once is enough for me

I'll explain why. Some of us like presentation elements in our sports games. We like to see the highlights of our best plays etc.

Sad that both basketball games have been a total letdown in this department for 12 minute quarter players.

When I get home I will delete the patch and reinstall it and see if it comes back.

# 199 WTF @ 10/29/14 11:59 AM
It worked for 12 min quarters pre patch, they're working on it right now.

# 200 LingeringRegime @ 10/29/14 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
It worked for 12 min quarters pre patch, they're working on it right now.

Alright cool so I won't delete the patch.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.